Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Beer added by: mzwolinski on 10-27-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 1,191 | Reviews: 533
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: A beautiful head with very nice clingy retention and lacing. Super clear golden yellow.

Nose: Yeasty on the nose up front, some lager malt, pilsner malt, a little lemon brightness, and a tiny finish of spice.

Taste: Carmel right up front which goes into a drier pilsner malt and a lager finish.

Notes: Lots of lager and pilsner character in this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A truly exceptional beer here

4.08/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours an incredibly clear light golden-yellow. 2-3 fingers of white foaminess upon initial pouring. Dissipates down over time. Can see lots of carbonation rising up at an average rate

Smell - 4/5
Mostly a very strong (but nice) lager smell. That was unexpected to me because I thought this was an Oktoberfest beer, and I've never had any like this one. Maybe some faint fruitiness, floral hops, and maltiness.

Taste - 4/5
About equal components of traditional lager taste and the sweet maltiness which is typical of oktoberfest beers. Moderately sweet, there is a mild fruitiness to it. Overall, not totally what I was expecting taste-wise, but still a good beer.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium-light in body, fairly crisp. There is a light amount of medium to high intensity carbonation. Overall, has a nice light and smooth feel in the mouth. No major complaints.

Overall - 4/5
Overall, this was a really good beer. It wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be. But this is my first authentically German Oktoberfest, so perhaps us Americans are just doing it wrong :)

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle into pint
Served: 4 Jan 2015

Appearance: Pours a perfect golden color, crystal clear, with sizeable carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. Nice one finger foamy white head that leaves appreciable lacing and takes forever to die out.

Smell: Initially smelled really skunky and dank, definitely not appealing. It aired out for a bit and began smelling better, but still maintained a skunky edge to it, along with some sweet malts.

Taste: Lighter and less caramelly than your standard Märzen, but definitely a beer with full flavor. The flavors are more subdued and muted, but there are still perceptible notes of caramel sweetness, a pinch of biscuitiness, and just a touch of hop bitterness.

Feel: Medium body and medium carbonation gives this beer a substantial mouthfeel for something so lightly colored.

Overall: Definitely not the best by Weihenstephaner, but not a bad beer either. A good switch from the darker Märzen beers and a refreshing beer that is easy to go down in quantity.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: clear; pale gold in color; less than a 1 finger white head that receded to a thin, uneven cap; OK lacing;

S: pilsner malt;

T: a light sulfur all the way through; up front, a bit of toast and pilsner malt;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation - a little tingly; moderately dry finish;

O: seems a little light, both in color and flavor;

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: golden yellow in color with a nice 2" head that lingers around a while.

Smell: malt and grassy tones are easily detectable.

Taste: grainy malt profile with some grass, mild lemon citrus, and a moderate hop presence.

Feel: very crisp from start to finish. Nicely refreshing.

Overall: easy to drink and a nice full flavor oktoberfest that will satisfy anyone.

Clear gold with one finger of white head. Lasts about five minutes and puts some lacing on the sides. Aroma is all grain malts. Taste is clean malts with a good amount of noble hops. Kind of Pils like but less forward bitterness. A touch of lemon dances across the palette.
Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is perfect.
Overall a very tasty beer that might not be a Marzen but I could drink this all day. I bought a single but I should have sprung for a six pack. Hard to believe this is 5.8%abv.

3.79/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clear gold color with a frothy white head. Low retention with some lacing. Toasted malt aroma. Very light bodied for an Oktoberfest and soft on the palate but with all the other characteristics I love about the style including a dry finish. A very enjoyable, unique take on the style that almost seems like a cross between a Helles and an Oktoberfest. I would definitely buy this again.

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear light amber (golden) pour. Very nice head, lacing and retention. Light, slightly sweet nose, with notes of pear over biscuit. Almost light medium body with a touch of smoothness. Above average carbonation that provides a nice effervescence throughout. The flavor profile is laid back, but has a very nice balance and a bit of complexity. It begins with pear and a touch of lemon, then flows into a rather toasty biscuit light sweetness. The middle effervesces into a slight bitterness over a receding biscuit. The finish approaches crisp and has a noble hop flavor note over a slightly dry character. A solid Oktoberfest, but not world class such as Great Lakes, Hacker-Pschorr or Ayinger.

3.07/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale, clear, straw-like yellow. Large, fluffy, white head develops then drops slowly leaving a scattering of lacing behind.
Smell is a mix of malt, a faint sweetness with a metallic note, weak hops, a farmhouse note, yeast, straw. Good balance but hard to pull the various pieces out.
Taste is more lager-like than I would like. Hops, some malt, grass, not much else.
Lightish body and effervescence. I would call this more of a thirst quencher beer than a "sit back and relax with it" brew. Too bad, I really like the brewery and all the other beers I've of theirs I've had but this one is weak.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Pilsner-ish. Foamy head that dies. White as hell.

S- Pale/Adjunct lager type grains. Lightly toasted grains. Floral hop spice. Biscuity. There is some kind of cooking spices, maybe ginger or clove?!?

T- It's so much like a German or Czech Pilsner. Malts are there for sure. It tastes a lot more roasted in the malts than it smells. Still has the floral hop spice and the biscuit malts. Still has a ginger or clove type spice as well in the background.

M- Light to Medium on the medium side. Drinks a tad heavier than a pilsner, but still drinkable. Finishes dry.

Overall drink this if you like pale lagers, German or Czech Pilsners. It's just spicier and lightly more malty than a standard lager.

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%

Clear straw color. This is a well crafted light-bodied lager but it just is not what I’m looking for in an Oktoberfest.

This style is one that presents a real scoring dilemma for me. On one hand, I recognize and respect the originators of a style like Marzens. However, my expectations and enjoyment of such offerings are based upon the American versions of this classic beer style.
I know that it’s authentic but his does not taste special. Rather, it tastes like just another lager to me.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Golden filtered with very little fine bubbled, slow rising carbonation.

S: Skunk, malt, a slight hard burnt sugar or creme brûlée scent, apples.

T: Malty, clean linen, apples, light astringent bitterness, typical for this style. Light sweetness.

M: Medium, light sappy, light clingy feel to it, little carbonation.

O: I’m sure its one of the standards for the style, but not as highly rated as others in the style. I’m enjoying it, and will more so with some Oktoberfest fare in a couple minutes. Bought and drank in Thailand, Sept 29th, 2014.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: straw-golden yellow pour with a lively two-finger head.

S: i get bread, grass, banana, spicy hops.

T: lemon, grains, and bready malts with a spicy hop finish with grassy notes.

M: medium carbonation with a medium-light body.

O: this is lighter than i expected, but a nice change of pace from my usual selections. Not my favorite, but an easy sipper and, hey, it's fall. Prost.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a 330 mL bottle.

Appearance is a deep, golden haze with a thin head of foam with good retention.

The taste is mildly sweet, a tad fruity and bready with just the lightest touch of hops. This is one of the better Marzen-style beers that I've had--it isn't too cloying, and the flavors are well-balanced. I could certainly drink this all day.

4.21/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stein glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. Big two finger white head with decent retention.

Smell: A crisp, bready, and juicy malt forward aroma with hints of grains and spicy hops. Pale malt with hints of grains, wheat, straw, biscuit, cracker, caramel, and lager yeast. Fruit hints of apple, lemon, and pear. Some honey sweetness. Hints of grassy and spicy European hops. Very forward with the grains. A pretty good smell.

Taste: Like the smell hints at, a crisp and nicely bready malt driven taste with notes of grains, fruit, and spicy hops. Upfront pale malt and wheat with notes of grains, straw, biscuit, cracker, caramel, and lager yeast. Sweet and crisp presence of fruit with notes of green apple, lemon zest, and pear. Some honey like notes add some sweetness. Backing presence of spicy and grassy Euro hops. A pretty good German taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, creamy, and nicely smooth.

Overall: A pretty good German lager. Different than the typical Marzen with more of a spicy hop presence like a Pilsener.

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Served on tap at a Chester NJ Octoberfest. A lighter bodied Marzen from the get go. Pale yellow color, some amber, white foam. Nose and malty are all malt. Lightly sweet, small hap back. Smooth easy drinker, solid.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Not baaaad

A: poured into a giant mug to a fairly deep and clear yellow with carbonation rising and topped by a finger and a half of dense and rocky white head
S: smells of toasty maltyness, some cooked veggies, and spicy hops
T: taste is malty with a little toast, slight sweetness, and spicy hops. swallow is more toasted malt, spicy hop and slight caramel sweetness
M: this beer is somewhat light on the palate with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: Color isn't as dark as some but it doesn't seem to be outside the color scope if you do a google image search for marzen. clean flavors with some complexity going on and no faults

3.51/5  rDev -5.4%

Everything you want in an oktoberfest, but not more. Nice malt character, with some lemon and toasted grains. It wasn't too sweet, that was nice. Not a whole lot to talk about here.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

A bit more of a floral/hoppy aroma and taste than I was expecting from an Oktoberfest. A bit surprising. Clean and crisp, not too heavy, but I would have a hard time distinguishing from a pilsner or helles.

The…best…beer…i…have …ever…had

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 9/25/14
Location: Halftime Mamaroneck
Draught/Bottle: Bottle
Glassware: Snifter

Appearance: Yellow to Bright Gold in color. Very soft and fluffy pure white head. Plus retention with some carbonation cling to the glass.
Aroma: Very grassy and bright malt aroma. Very clean German lager yeast aroma quickly follows the malts.
Taste: Wow, the malts quickly move from grassy to earthy dirt and wheaty in flavor. The lager yeasts play a large role here as well, very clean and refreshing.
Mouthfeel: Light medium in body. Medium in carbonation. Between the wheats and the lagers this is a very clean clean flavor with no strong lingering presence. Very nice and palate quenching.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Weihenstephaner's Oktoberfestbier last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. It's time to keep the Oktoberfest's rolling and since I've never had this beer before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. I couldn't make out the bottling date. Poured from a brown 330ml bottle into my Oktoberfest stein.

A- The label looks nice, the Oktoberfest colors in the background are fitting and I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a clear yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy and slightly chunky white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I thought the color was a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the a fruity aroma being the first to show up and it imparts a nice pear and light apple juice like aroma that leads right into the malts that impart a slightly grainy and bready aroma with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a unique perfume aroma that's a little floral and there's a herbal hop aroma also showing up. This beer had a nice and unique aroma, but it didn't seem to be that true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the fruits still being the first to show up and it seems like they impart an even mixture of pear and apple juice like flavors. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready and slightly grainy flavor with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. On the finish comes that herbal and perfume like aspect that I got in the aroma, but it's a little lighter and it's followed by pretty much no bitterness with a bready, light grainy. pear and light apple juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but it lacked those light toasted flavors that I look for in the style.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer, but I didn't think it was a good example of a Marzen and when it comes down to it I find this to be more Helles Lager like than anything, I didn't mind the taste and aroma, but it just wasn't what I look for in the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, not filling at all and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, but it isn't something I would drink if I wanted a good Marzen. What I like the most about this beer was how unique it was, the perfume and herbal aspect was unique and while it was a little weird at first I found myself liking it the more I drank it. What I liked the least about this beer was that it wasn't true to style, it's just not what I expect from the style and I'm pretty sure there would be no way i would guess this is a Marzen if I tried it blind. I might buy this beer again, but not if I wanted a straight up Marzen. I wouldn't turn it down though. I think this is worth giving a try, but I wouldn't recommend it as a good and true to style Marzen. All in all I was a little confused by this beer, I didn't mind it, it's just not really what I was expecting, but I think this might be a nice change of pace if I was drinking traditional Marzens all day. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or my favorite Marzen, but I think it's decent in it's own way. I like the uniqueness of this beer, but it's just not what I think of as a Marzen, I appreciate the effort and I didn't expect a brewery that is this so old and traditional to make such a different take on the style.

4.44/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Seidel mug.

A- Massive pale white head, light and foamy. The body is pale golden in color with great clarity.

S- A delicous medley of bright floral and grassy hops blends with a bready sweet malt.

T- True to the nose, there's a continued floral, grassy hop presence. Sweet malt flavors of caramel and a dry bread flavor fill out the flavor.

M- Crisp and clean-drinking, this can get tossed back easily. I could drink a number of these, no problem. There's a hint of hop bitterness and a semi-dry finish, but mostly this is sweet and creamy.

This is just excellent. I may have to compare all other Oktoberfest beers to this one. Then again, this may be a bit too pilsner-like for most.

to view more.