Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

good

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 10-27-2002)

JeffWorcester, Sep 09, 2012

caustin90, Aug 22, 2014

TwoForty, Dec 28, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -45.3%

I'm not a big fan of most Pilsners, and even though this brew is classified as a Marzen I still felt like this was more like a Pils. Big time grassy notes on the palette which is not my favorite thing in beer. The more I drank of this brew, the worse it got. Normally when a good beer gets warmer the flavors get better. This one wasn't like that. I was very happy once I finished this because I was afraid that I wasn't going to.

Knapp85, Mar 20, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours as a lemon-colored very clear brew, has a good sized 3-finger white head. Overall, nice appearance but the color is very very light. I don't quite like it being that light.

Smells musty, lemony, somewhat wheaty. Doesn't appeal to me but I know others would go wild over it. Somewhat below average for me.

Tastes old, musty, and has touches of citrus. Definitely not something that I like, hopefully I didn't get an old bottle since there is no freshness label or made-on date.

Mouthfeel is slippery, almost like an unfiltered wheat beer but it isn't cloudy and lightly carbonated. I'd say average mouthfeel.

Drinkability - didn't want to finish this beer. Just wanted to find something else that I wanted to drink. I might give it a try again if I can find something that I can ensure is 100% fresh and not take a risk on a bottle without a date again.

xare, Mar 29, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -42%

It poured pale yellow with one finger of head and moderate carbonation. The head quickly retreated into a lite lacing.

It had an astringent off scent that was accented by hops. There was adjunct like qualities. No definitive barley or wheat malt characteristics from what I can tell.

It tasted bitter, slightly hoppy. Those astringent scent characteristics really took over in the taste department. It had a lite to medium body what was smooth and refreshing.

It's drinkable, but not very. I am not impressed. I had heard good things about this beer but it did not live up to the hype. I question the ability of this being sold as a Marzen. Not to be crude, but this is almost what I urinate after a night of drinking real Marzens.

Rennpferd, Oct 26, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -40.7%

pours a pale yellow color. It's very clear. Backlighting gives it a distinct yellow color. A foamy white head tops it. It stands about a finger and a half tall and falls relatively quickly. ABV? Perhaps. Lacing was a little sticky, but very light. Meh. Not exciting.

The nose is below average. It's very weak, and doesn't feature much in terms of aromatics at all. It's earthy and grainy throughout. There's definitely a corn scent that's prominent. Alcohol is noticeable, but isn't overwhelming. That pretty much wraps it up. Not much to smell here.

The flavor is a little better actually. This isn't the pungent beast I anticipated. Is it good? Absolutely not. But it's far from the worst beer I've ever had. It kicks off with a strong corn flavor. It should come as no surprise that that flavor lingers throughout. There are some earthy and grainy flavors that aren't altogether bad. I'm getting a tad bit of sweet malt. It does a decent job of holding things together. Alcohol is definitely there, but this is a malt liquor after all. What'd you expect? Finishes a little sweet and corn-y (no pun intended).

Body that's on the light side of medium. Carbonation is active. While it doesn't feel smooth, it doesn't have a bad feel. Drinkability is below average. Eh. The flavor's alright, but there's not enough here to really draw you in. It's not a disaster, but I'm not enjoying it. Finish the can? Eh. We'll see about that.

Now that you have read that I hi-jacked that from a review for Steel reserve by prototypic, this beer for the $12 a six that I payed really is no more impressive nor does is it really any different than steel reserve (it tastes almost identical to a malt drink I had once at a friends called clear creek ice) or for that matter anything that comes in a 40 and is drank from a paper bag.

masey222, Oct 27, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a 500ml. bottle. Leaves less than one finger of a white head that quickly dissappears, and leaves very small trace amounts of lacing. Body is clear gold, looking like a Helles Lager or Euro-Lager rather than a Marzen with a Marzen's characteristic orange-amber hue.

Smell - cooked veggies, slight aroma of toasted malt biscuits. Not promising. I smell a disappointing Euro-Lager here.

Taste - as promised by the nose, which is to say not much. Cooked veggies with a faint hint of toasty malt biscuits, washed with some sour grassy hops. This tastes like a mediocre, mass produced Euro-lager, and nowhere near a Marzen. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel - medium to thin bodied.

Drinkability - This is certainly not a Marzen, and it is not very good, not even as a Euro Lager.

ultralarry2006, Oct 15, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -34%

You know, these new fangled blonde fest/marzens just don't cut it with me. As a pale lager it's not bad, not great, but not bad. As a fest, it's the requisite malty, easy drinking beer. But the key red/Vienna malt thing is ignored. Oh well. Served with a nice, white, foamy, frothy head and lots of lace. Color is a clear yellow gold. Aroma is a very mild malt. Flavor show's a lot more hop (fest?) bitterness and good balance with the malt, so I have some decent bittersweet flav. Body is quite good and so is carbonation. Finish is quintessential pale lager. Session beer for a pale lager but NOT for a fest/marzen.

drpimento, Oct 06, 2009

robertjskelton, Oct 19, 2014

Kyrojack, Oct 20, 2012

udubdawg, Aug 19, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured a finger of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is metallic and dry grain; much like a Euro pale lager....
The taste starts sweet and then alternates between metallic bitter and dry bitter. Not pleasing.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
An unpleasant experience overall.

Fatehunter, Oct 22, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -31.8%

Live review. Poured from the 11.2 oz. brown bottle that I bought as a single last week from Save-On in Mentor, Ohio for $1.68 into my “The Second City” Weizen glass. “4241” stamped on the bottom of the back label, whatever that means.

A 3 inch off white meringue head over a surprisingly light, golden, translucent body with minimal trails of bubbles rising up from the bottom. Ho-hum look really. 2.0

S The expected barley malt smell is there but it is really a bit thin. I had to sniff a few times to appreciate the grains in the smell. 2.5

T Again the expected barley malt is there but I am surprised (and a little dissapointed) to report that it is a rather thin tasting beer. I just had Victory’s version of a Marzen and it was much fuller, more satisfying than this one. It is not like this brewery has not had time to get it right, it is the “World’s Oldest Brewery” afterall! 2.5

M Again, rather thin. I have to admit I am dissapointed in the feel of this beer. 2.0

D/O Drinkability is high (as per the style) but overall this is a thin example of the style. I believe that I would much rather have a Victory Festbier. 3.0

adamette, Sep 05, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

16.9 oz bottle. Freshness date on back label but I can't read it.
Clear golden with a fluffy white head. Moderate lacing.

Aroma is grassy and biscuty.

Flavor is mildly bitter, light grain, acidic finish.

I expect better from this brewery. Maybe it has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Padron4KM, Apr 21, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

As I soon as I spied this on the shelves in a local stop, I thought I had to have it immediately as I had been very impressed with the same brewery's other selections. The golden ale poured seemingly well, but the comparisons to the other ales ended shortly after that. The nose on the ale reminded me of a bitter- sweet mass produced lager from Holland, which many people mistake for German. The first taste confirmed it was a mix of ale and lager tastes that made me want to retreat to the IPA's and Stouts in my fridge. I thought that maybe I got either a bad bottle or that it was another attempt to cash in on the Oktoberfest theme in the American market.

bonbright7, Oct 12, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Light carbonated head. Pretty good fruity and hoppy smell. Hoppy bitter flavor that gets worse on the second sip. Actually starts to taste a little like cough syrup. Definitely overwhelming. The taste of this beer is excessively complicated and way to bitter. This one still needs a lot of work.

RedBeerHead, Jan 10, 2008

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Poured a golden, clear color with a nice head.

Smell: Very hoppy aroma, but a little funky. Not exactly appealing.

Taste: This was bitter and a little funky flavor, but it finished smooth.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Not much to tell here.

Drinkability: This is a beer that's good enough for me to finish the 6-pack I bought, but not good enough for me to buy again.

civilizedpsycho, Aug 20, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

12oz bottle served in a sam adams perfect pint glass. No dating on the bottle.

A- pours a pale golden. crispy 2-finger white head that recedes quickly with no lacing.

S- lots of straw, hint of yeast. A touch of toast, but well hidden.

T- Mostly wheat and straw, some yeast. Sweet. Not a lot of malt coming through. Really not what I'd expect for the style.

M- crispy, pretty lively carbonation.

O- overall a disappointing take on the style. More of a mediocre wheat beer than a true marzen. At least the bottle wasn't green...

fo5s, Oct 30, 2011