2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner OktoberfestbierWeihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier

good

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 10-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 852 | Reviews: 491 | Show All Ratings:
Knapp85

2.03/5  rDev -44.8%

I'm not a big fan of most Pilsners, and even though this brew is classified as a Marzen I still felt like this was more like a Pils. Big time grassy notes on the palette which is not my favorite thing in beer. The more I drank of this brew, the worse it got. Normally when a good beer gets warmer the flavors get better. This one wasn't like that. I was very happy once I finished this because I was afraid that I wasn't going to.

03-20-2011 16:44:52 | More by Knapp85
xare

2.08/5  rDev -43.5%

Pours as a lemon-colored very clear brew, has a good sized 3-finger white head. Overall, nice appearance but the color is very very light. I don't quite like it being that light.

Smells musty, lemony, somewhat wheaty. Doesn't appeal to me but I know others would go wild over it. Somewhat below average for me.

Tastes old, musty, and has touches of citrus. Definitely not something that I like, hopefully I didn't get an old bottle since there is no freshness label or made-on date.

Mouthfeel is slippery, almost like an unfiltered wheat beer but it isn't cloudy and lightly carbonated. I'd say average mouthfeel.

Drinkability - didn't want to finish this beer. Just wanted to find something else that I wanted to drink. I might give it a try again if I can find something that I can ensure is 100% fresh and not take a risk on a bottle without a date again.

03-29-2008 02:11:31 | More by xare
Rennpferd

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

It poured pale yellow with one finger of head and moderate carbonation. The head quickly retreated into a lite lacing.

It had an astringent off scent that was accented by hops. There was adjunct like qualities. No definitive barley or wheat malt characteristics from what I can tell.

It tasted bitter, slightly hoppy. Those astringent scent characteristics really took over in the taste department. It had a lite to medium body what was smooth and refreshing.

It's drinkable, but not very. I am not impressed. I had heard good things about this beer but it did not live up to the hype. I question the ability of this being sold as a Marzen. Not to be crude, but this is almost what I urinate after a night of drinking real Marzens.

10-26-2008 03:04:44 | More by Rennpferd
masey222

2.2/5  rDev -40.2%

pours a pale yellow color. It's very clear. Backlighting gives it a distinct yellow color. A foamy white head tops it. It stands about a finger and a half tall and falls relatively quickly. ABV? Perhaps. Lacing was a little sticky, but very light. Meh. Not exciting.

The nose is below average. It's very weak, and doesn't feature much in terms of aromatics at all. It's earthy and grainy throughout. There's definitely a corn scent that's prominent. Alcohol is noticeable, but isn't overwhelming. That pretty much wraps it up. Not much to smell here.

The flavor is a little better actually. This isn't the pungent beast I anticipated. Is it good? Absolutely not. But it's far from the worst beer I've ever had. It kicks off with a strong corn flavor. It should come as no surprise that that flavor lingers throughout. There are some earthy and grainy flavors that aren't altogether bad. I'm getting a tad bit of sweet malt. It does a decent job of holding things together. Alcohol is definitely there, but this is a malt liquor after all. What'd you expect? Finishes a little sweet and corn-y (no pun intended).

Body that's on the light side of medium. Carbonation is active. While it doesn't feel smooth, it doesn't have a bad feel. Drinkability is below average. Eh. The flavor's alright, but there's not enough here to really draw you in. It's not a disaster, but I'm not enjoying it. Finish the can? Eh. We'll see about that.

Now that you have read that I hi-jacked that from a review for Steel reserve by prototypic, this beer for the $12 a six that I payed really is no more impressive nor does is it really any different than steel reserve (it tastes almost identical to a malt drink I had once at a friends called clear creek ice) or for that matter anything that comes in a 40 and is drank from a paper bag.

10-27-2010 08:13:30 | More by masey222
ultralarry2006

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 500ml. bottle. Leaves less than one finger of a white head that quickly dissappears, and leaves very small trace amounts of lacing. Body is clear gold, looking like a Helles Lager or Euro-Lager rather than a Marzen with a Marzen's characteristic orange-amber hue.

Smell - cooked veggies, slight aroma of toasted malt biscuits. Not promising. I smell a disappointing Euro-Lager here.

Taste - as promised by the nose, which is to say not much. Cooked veggies with a faint hint of toasty malt biscuits, washed with some sour grassy hops. This tastes like a mediocre, mass produced Euro-lager, and nowhere near a Marzen. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel - medium to thin bodied.

Drinkability - This is certainly not a Marzen, and it is not very good, not even as a Euro Lager.

10-15-2007 15:01:15 | More by ultralarry2006
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

You know, these new fangled blonde fest/marzens just don't cut it with me. As a pale lager it's not bad, not great, but not bad. As a fest, it's the requisite malty, easy drinking beer. But the key red/Vienna malt thing is ignored. Oh well. Served with a nice, white, foamy, frothy head and lots of lace. Color is a clear yellow gold. Aroma is a very mild malt. Flavor show's a lot more hop (fest?) bitterness and good balance with the malt, so I have some decent bittersweet flav. Body is quite good and so is carbonation. Finish is quintessential pale lager. Session beer for a pale lager but NOT for a fest/marzen.

10-06-2009 01:39:23 | More by drpimento
adamette

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Live review. Poured from the 11.2 oz. brown bottle that I bought as a single last week from Save-On in Mentor, Ohio for $1.68 into my “The Second City” Weizen glass. “4241” stamped on the bottom of the back label, whatever that means.

A 3 inch off white meringue head over a surprisingly light, golden, translucent body with minimal trails of bubbles rising up from the bottom. Ho-hum look really. 2.0

S The expected barley malt smell is there but it is really a bit thin. I had to sniff a few times to appreciate the grains in the smell. 2.5

T Again the expected barley malt is there but I am surprised (and a little dissapointed) to report that it is a rather thin tasting beer. I just had Victory’s version of a Marzen and it was much fuller, more satisfying than this one. It is not like this brewery has not had time to get it right, it is the “World’s Oldest Brewery” afterall! 2.5

M Again, rather thin. I have to admit I am dissapointed in the feel of this beer. 2.0

D/O Drinkability is high (as per the style) but overall this is a thin example of the style. I believe that I would much rather have a Victory Festbier. 3.0

09-05-2011 00:36:12 | More by adamette
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured a finger of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is metallic and dry grain; much like a Euro pale lager....
The taste starts sweet and then alternates between metallic bitter and dry bitter. Not pleasing.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
An unpleasant experience overall.

10-21-2013 23:13:23 | More by Fatehunter
Padron4KM

Arizona

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

16.9 oz bottle. Freshness date on back label but I can't read it.
Clear golden with a fluffy white head. Moderate lacing.

Aroma is grassy and biscuty.

Flavor is mildly bitter, light grain, acidic finish.

I expect better from this brewery. Maybe it has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

04-21-2007 05:57:38 | More by Padron4KM
RedBeerHead

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Light carbonated head. Pretty good fruity and hoppy smell. Hoppy bitter flavor that gets worse on the second sip. Actually starts to taste a little like cough syrup. Definitely overwhelming. The taste of this beer is excessively complicated and way to bitter. This one still needs a lot of work.

01-10-2008 02:29:21 | More by RedBeerHead
civilizedpsycho

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Poured a golden, clear color with a nice head.

Smell: Very hoppy aroma, but a little funky. Not exactly appealing.

Taste: This was bitter and a little funky flavor, but it finished smooth.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Not much to tell here.

Drinkability: This is a beer that's good enough for me to finish the 6-pack I bought, but not good enough for me to buy again.

08-20-2009 04:21:21 | More by civilizedpsycho
bonbright7

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

As I soon as I spied this on the shelves in a local stop, I thought I had to have it immediately as I had been very impressed with the same brewery's other selections. The golden ale poured seemingly well, but the comparisons to the other ales ended shortly after that. The nose on the ale reminded me of a bitter- sweet mass produced lager from Holland, which many people mistake for German. The first taste confirmed it was a mix of ale and lager tastes that made me want to retreat to the IPA's and Stouts in my fridge. I thought that maybe I got either a bad bottle or that it was another attempt to cash in on the Oktoberfest theme in the American market.

10-12-2009 00:35:37 | More by bonbright7
fo5s

District of Columbia

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

12oz bottle served in a sam adams perfect pint glass. No dating on the bottle.

A- pours a pale golden. crispy 2-finger white head that recedes quickly with no lacing.

S- lots of straw, hint of yeast. A touch of toast, but well hidden.

T- Mostly wheat and straw, some yeast. Sweet. Not a lot of malt coming through. Really not what I'd expect for the style.

M- crispy, pretty lively carbonation.

O- overall a disappointing take on the style. More of a mediocre wheat beer than a true marzen. At least the bottle wasn't green...

10-30-2011 20:50:45 | More by fo5s
Jayli

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Consumed 10/4
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a somewhat hazy, straw yellow with a one finger of sudsy white head. Head recedes leaving minor wisps of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is grainy, bready, a bit of off malt sweetness.

T: Taste abundantly sweet. Grains, bread, and sweet malt flavoring. Sweetness mingled with the grains and bread are just not blended well, sweetness is actually more cloying. Finish has just a hint of earthy hops.

M: Light body, medium carbonation, thin bodied and somewhat watery with a potentially crisp finish.

D: Doesn't go down all that easily, minor kick, not a very good representation of the style. I would definitely opt for others of the style.

10-07-2010 00:51:22 | More by Jayli
RickS95

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

I'm giving it a 2 for looks for one reason only. The head is stellar. The beer itself is a click darker than Budweiser. Looks nothing like any Oktoberfest I've seen. Very clear, looks like ginger ale. The head, however is a looker. A couple fingers of white bubbles, good retention. Looks like cotton balls. Thin white lace left behind.

Smells like Budweiser. Nothing to indicate it's an Oktoberfest.

The taste is slightly redeeming. Very much a stock pilsner, but there are some spices in there. Very yeasty with some pepper accents, but mostly standard pilsner malts.

It's light to medium bodied, fairly crisp, with just a hint of some spices. Slight hop presence in the finish.

Overall, it would make for a world class pilsner, but it's fairly lacking for an Oktoberfest. Not sure how they call it a festbier because it just isn't. But nonetheless, it's not a bad tasting beer, just nothing like I was expecting. I'm glad I bought a six pack because it'll make for good drinking, but I wouldn't call it a marzen.

10-29-2012 02:18:37 | More by RickS95
JBogan

Nevada

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured a very light and somewhat hazy pale yellow. No head whatsoever with no lacing. No visible carbonation either. Very unremarkable appearance.

A light grassy aroma, some hint of citrus and hops.

Tasted a bit better than it looked and smelled. A little bite at the finish with mostly citrus present.

Decent mouthfeel. Judging from the appearance I was expecting much less but overall not bad.

It was an easy to drink beer, just not something that I'd go back to. I prefer the other offerings from this brewer.

09-30-2007 18:17:01 | More by JBogan
Phillyduke

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A: 12 oz. NR poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Beer is very pale for a Märzen/Oktoberfest...a bright golden color with an ever so slight chill haze to it. A 1-finger head of fizzy foam dissipates quickly to a very thin cap. Barely any retention and only the slightest bit of fine lace.

S: Sweet malt and some yeastiness with a twinge of medicinal alcohol.

T/M: Mild, light-to-medium bodied lager with very little, if any, hop character. Dominant flavor is of bready malts. Carbonation is a little on the flat side, but the beer coats the palate nicely. Slightly bitter finish lingers for awhile.

D/O: The taste is relatively tame and one-dimensional, which leads to a pretty high score on the drinkability scale. Classifying this as a Märzen/Oktoberfest leads me to review it against the style, which I think this beer completely misses. I understand this is a newer-breed of lighter "Oktoberfest" beers, but it's certainly not a Märzen lager (if it is, it's a pretty poor attempt by such a good brewery). If this was brewed to be consumed in mass quantities over the course of the day, then it's a successful, easy-drinking lager that does what it was intended to do. I enjoyed it for what it was, but think a different style classification is in order here.

11-22-2008 20:48:46 | More by Phillyduke
BeerSox

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

12oz bottle into nonic

The hue of this beer is a little more towards the yellow side (lighter) compared to other beers in this style, with a little bit of haze to it. The head is about one finger tall and off-white.

The aroma is a lighter malt with some of the standard dark candy hints. There is a smell that reminds me of a witbier, with a little bit of orange peel and coriander. It's something I haven't found yet in an Oktoberfest. There isn't much hop aroma to speak of.

Pretty much standard lager flavors with no strong characteristics that describe an Oktoberfest (caramel, dark hard candy sugar). It's mostly soft grain with pretty much no hop flavor. The body is on the lighter side with higher carbonation, making the beer a little fizzy. The finish is just grain.

I found this one a little bit boring. I probably would have preferred a regular All-Malt Lager or Vienna Lager or something. It may be a Festbier, but it's not one I would seek. Not recommended.

10-19-2007 22:49:18 | More by BeerSox
harrymel

Washington

2.76/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2013 version

Grain with a solid quilt of whites, a little light colored for a marzen. Smells like a good pilsner: grain, corn, sweet pils malt, just a hint of hop. I like the nose very much, but not under this style. Flavor is bitter, some bits of corn and grain, a little bit of anise almost in the back. Light bodied with higher carb and a dry finish with a rubbing tongue feel. This is the least impressive of Weihenstephan's beers. The beer is misrepresentative of marzen IMO, but maybe in Munchen they play by different rules...?...

09-18-2013 07:00:06 | More by harrymel
CrazyDavros

Australia

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours pale gold with a large fading head.
Nose shows grassy hops with faint spicy notes along with tempting bready malt.
Flavours show a little of the above hops with some bready, almost grainy, malt in the background.
Nice low carbonation and moderately-light body.

05-27-2010 11:50:31 | More by CrazyDavros
Hopfenpeter

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

The color is a light yellowish gold with a white head building with average staying power. Lot of carbonation.

It does not look like a Maerzen and also does not taste like one.Also it smelled inviting, it was not my favorite taste, probably because the bottle I opened was an import bottle with preservatives. It has a fuzzyness to it which disappears after letting it sit in your mouth. you certainly can taste the german hops in the beginning , but it will give an almost corn aftertaste.

To me it is an average beer.

09-19-2010 04:27:03 | More by Hopfenpeter
colts9016

Idaho

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A monster three finger head that is foamy and creamy that has good retention. The head left a good amount of lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a pale yellow color and very clear. The beer has a good amount of carbonation bubbles. Overall the appearance of the beer is good. I would have like to seen a bit darker beer color.

Nose: A floral aroma, with toasted malt, biscuit, yeast, and some funk.

Taste: A moderately sweet flavor with floral, toasted malt, biscuit, and yeast.

Mouth feel of the beer is carbonated and astringent.

Overall: This beer is a bit off for being a Marzen style beer. The beer has some funk to it. Also the beer is supposed to be absent of hop like flavors and it beer has some present.

11-08-2013 06:34:01 | More by colts9016
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

The first thing I noticed about this beer is that it is way lighter in color than I expected. A light, bright, and crystal clear yellow, one finger white head, and bubbles streaming up the glass. This style of beer is typically darker than this.

The beer has a distinct lager nose with a good amount of sulfur. The malt aroma is light and grainy, with not a lot of depth to it. That German pilsner malt aroma is definitley there, but no specialty malts are detected. There is also a bit of lemony hops in the nose.

The taste is a typical light, German lager with very little hops. It doesn't taste anything like a Marzen besides tasting like a German Lager. Even if I were judging this as a light, German lager, its not all that great. There is a sweet, pilsner malt with a light, almost apple like fruitiness. It's not bad, but its not good and its certainly not to style.

The mouthfeel is light as you would expect by the color, but you can feel some depth in the body. Nothing noteworthy or bad about the mouthfeel. The beer scores an average for drinkability. It's light and easy to drink, but I don't want another one and it wasn't very memorable.

11-12-2009 00:14:28 | More by jeffthecheff
punkrkr27

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

Very pale yellow pour with a tall, short lived, loose white head. The aroma is grassy with slight light citrus, a little biscuit malt, and some noble hop spice. Lightly sweet and bready malt backbone with some lemon zest and a mildly spicy and peppery noble hop finish. Light body with moderate carbonation. I suppose I might not be fully versed in proper German styles, but this does not seem like an Oktoberfest at all. It's a nice, light drinking beer, more like a Kolsh to me, but doesn't have the hearty malty flavor that I look forward to drinking in Fall.

09-11-2009 19:43:56 | More by punkrkr27
KajII

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

[Suggested Glassware: Lager Glass]

The pour was a light golden yellow with a small (less than 1 finger) white fizzy head that quickly receded down to a very small collar and had poor spotty lacing.

The aroma was of a grain malt, herbal hops and a sweaty yeast with a light hint of caramel along with a mild fruity ester.

The taste was mildly malty with a light caramel sweetness and a strong grainy feel throughout, with the finish having a very light bitterness and a slight medicinal presence at the end. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a grainy bitter taste left behind to fade into the background very slowly.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a mild carbonation.

Overall this was a brew that did not offer up much flavor or anything else for that matter. Although it did have a good smooth drinkability and a very light feel, which would allow you to drink a few without feeling blotted...

01-19-2013 17:49:21 | More by KajII