Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Beer added by: mzwolinski on 10-27-2002

Ratings: 1,201 | Reviews: 534
3.07/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale, clear, straw-like yellow. Large, fluffy, white head develops then drops slowly leaving a scattering of lacing behind.
Smell is a mix of malt, a faint sweetness with a metallic note, weak hops, a farmhouse note, yeast, straw. Good balance but hard to pull the various pieces out.
Taste is more lager-like than I would like. Hops, some malt, grass, not much else.
Lightish body and effervescence. I would call this more of a thirst quencher beer than a "sit back and relax with it" brew. Too bad, I really like the brewery and all the other beers I've of theirs I've had but this one is weak.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A- Pilsner-ish. Foamy head that dies. White as hell.

S- Pale/Adjunct lager type grains. Lightly toasted grains. Floral hop spice. Biscuity. There is some kind of cooking spices, maybe ginger or clove?!?

T- It's so much like a German or Czech Pilsner. Malts are there for sure. It tastes a lot more roasted in the malts than it smells. Still has the floral hop spice and the biscuit malts. Still has a ginger or clove type spice as well in the background.

M- Light to Medium on the medium side. Drinks a tad heavier than a pilsner, but still drinkable. Finishes dry.

Overall drink this if you like pale lagers, German or Czech Pilsners. It's just spicier and lightly more malty than a standard lager.

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%

Clear straw color. This is a well crafted light-bodied lager but it just is not what I’m looking for in an Oktoberfest.

This style is one that presents a real scoring dilemma for me. On one hand, I recognize and respect the originators of a style like Marzens. However, my expectations and enjoyment of such offerings are based upon the American versions of this classic beer style.
I know that it’s authentic but his does not taste special. Rather, it tastes like just another lager to me.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Golden filtered with very little fine bubbled, slow rising carbonation.

S: Skunk, malt, a slight hard burnt sugar or creme brûlée scent, apples.

T: Malty, clean linen, apples, light astringent bitterness, typical for this style. Light sweetness.

M: Medium, light sappy, light clingy feel to it, little carbonation.

O: I’m sure its one of the standards for the style, but not as highly rated as others in the style. I’m enjoying it, and will more so with some Oktoberfest fare in a couple minutes. Bought and drank in Thailand, Sept 29th, 2014.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: straw-golden yellow pour with a lively two-finger head.

S: i get bread, grass, banana, spicy hops.

T: lemon, grains, and bready malts with a spicy hop finish with grassy notes.

M: medium carbonation with a medium-light body.

O: this is lighter than i expected, but a nice change of pace from my usual selections. Not my favorite, but an easy sipper and, hey, it's fall. Prost.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a 330 mL bottle.

Appearance is a deep, golden haze with a thin head of foam with good retention.

The taste is mildly sweet, a tad fruity and bready with just the lightest touch of hops. This is one of the better Marzen-style beers that I've had--it isn't too cloying, and the flavors are well-balanced. I could certainly drink this all day.

4.21/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stein glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. Big two finger white head with decent retention.

Smell: A crisp, bready, and juicy malt forward aroma with hints of grains and spicy hops. Pale malt with hints of grains, wheat, straw, biscuit, cracker, caramel, and lager yeast. Fruit hints of apple, lemon, and pear. Some honey sweetness. Hints of grassy and spicy European hops. Very forward with the grains. A pretty good smell.

Taste: Like the smell hints at, a crisp and nicely bready malt driven taste with notes of grains, fruit, and spicy hops. Upfront pale malt and wheat with notes of grains, straw, biscuit, cracker, caramel, and lager yeast. Sweet and crisp presence of fruit with notes of green apple, lemon zest, and pear. Some honey like notes add some sweetness. Backing presence of spicy and grassy Euro hops. A pretty good German taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, creamy, and nicely smooth.

Overall: A pretty good German lager. Different than the typical Marzen with more of a spicy hop presence like a Pilsener.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Served on tap at a Chester NJ Octoberfest. A lighter bodied Marzen from the get go. Pale yellow color, some amber, white foam. Nose and malty are all malt. Lightly sweet, small hap back. Smooth easy drinker, solid.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Not baaaad

A: poured into a giant mug to a fairly deep and clear yellow with carbonation rising and topped by a finger and a half of dense and rocky white head
S: smells of toasty maltyness, some cooked veggies, and spicy hops
T: taste is malty with a little toast, slight sweetness, and spicy hops. swallow is more toasted malt, spicy hop and slight caramel sweetness
M: this beer is somewhat light on the palate with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: Color isn't as dark as some but it doesn't seem to be outside the color scope if you do a google image search for marzen. clean flavors with some complexity going on and no faults

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%

Everything you want in an oktoberfest, but not more. Nice malt character, with some lemon and toasted grains. It wasn't too sweet, that was nice. Not a whole lot to talk about here.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A bit more of a floral/hoppy aroma and taste than I was expecting from an Oktoberfest. A bit surprising. Clean and crisp, not too heavy, but I would have a hard time distinguishing from a pilsner or helles.

The…best…beer…i…have …ever…had

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 9/25/14
Location: Halftime Mamaroneck
Draught/Bottle: Bottle
Glassware: Snifter

Appearance: Yellow to Bright Gold in color. Very soft and fluffy pure white head. Plus retention with some carbonation cling to the glass.
Aroma: Very grassy and bright malt aroma. Very clean German lager yeast aroma quickly follows the malts.
Taste: Wow, the malts quickly move from grassy to earthy dirt and wheaty in flavor. The lager yeasts play a large role here as well, very clean and refreshing.
Mouthfeel: Light medium in body. Medium in carbonation. Between the wheats and the lagers this is a very clean clean flavor with no strong lingering presence. Very nice and palate quenching.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Weihenstephaner's Oktoberfestbier last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. It's time to keep the Oktoberfest's rolling and since I've never had this beer before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. I couldn't make out the bottling date. Poured from a brown 330ml bottle into my Oktoberfest stein.

A- The label looks nice, the Oktoberfest colors in the background are fitting and I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a clear yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy and slightly chunky white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I thought the color was a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the a fruity aroma being the first to show up and it imparts a nice pear and light apple juice like aroma that leads right into the malts that impart a slightly grainy and bready aroma with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a unique perfume aroma that's a little floral and there's a herbal hop aroma also showing up. This beer had a nice and unique aroma, but it didn't seem to be that true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the fruits still being the first to show up and it seems like they impart an even mixture of pear and apple juice like flavors. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready and slightly grainy flavor with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. On the finish comes that herbal and perfume like aspect that I got in the aroma, but it's a little lighter and it's followed by pretty much no bitterness with a bready, light grainy. pear and light apple juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but it lacked those light toasted flavors that I look for in the style.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer, but I didn't think it was a good example of a Marzen and when it comes down to it I find this to be more Helles Lager like than anything, I didn't mind the taste and aroma, but it just wasn't what I look for in the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, not filling at all and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, but it isn't something I would drink if I wanted a good Marzen. What I like the most about this beer was how unique it was, the perfume and herbal aspect was unique and while it was a little weird at first I found myself liking it the more I drank it. What I liked the least about this beer was that it wasn't true to style, it's just not what I expect from the style and I'm pretty sure there would be no way i would guess this is a Marzen if I tried it blind. I might buy this beer again, but not if I wanted a straight up Marzen. I wouldn't turn it down though. I think this is worth giving a try, but I wouldn't recommend it as a good and true to style Marzen. All in all I was a little confused by this beer, I didn't mind it, it's just not really what I was expecting, but I think this might be a nice change of pace if I was drinking traditional Marzens all day. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or my favorite Marzen, but I think it's decent in it's own way. I like the uniqueness of this beer, but it's just not what I think of as a Marzen, I appreciate the effort and I didn't expect a brewery that is this so old and traditional to make such a different take on the style.

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Seidel mug.

A- Massive pale white head, light and foamy. The body is pale golden in color with great clarity.

S- A delicous medley of bright floral and grassy hops blends with a bready sweet malt.

T- True to the nose, there's a continued floral, grassy hop presence. Sweet malt flavors of caramel and a dry bread flavor fill out the flavor.

M- Crisp and clean-drinking, this can get tossed back easily. I could drink a number of these, no problem. There's a hint of hop bitterness and a semi-dry finish, but mostly this is sweet and creamy.

This is just excellent. I may have to compare all other Oktoberfest beers to this one. Then again, this may be a bit too pilsner-like for most.

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought a single bottle from Beers of the World on 9/20/14. Served at fridge temp in a dimpled mug.

brassy gold with a one finger white head. Decent lacing. and like most German made Maerzens a spicy noble hoppiness is front and center but here it is broad and deep and harmoniously integrated into the aroma. The taste is restrained, balanced and delicious. The mouthfeel is good. Overall, this may be the best of the German Oktoberfest beers.

Poured from bottle to Pilsner glass

Pours clear, straw yellow, unspectacular looking beer but handsome enough

Smell is very mild grassy, maybe a slight slight sweet aroma.

Taste is very good. Mild malt and sweetness up front, carbonation hitting in the middle and a bit of bitterness at the finish. There is a bit of spicyness in there that is characteristic of a Weihenstephaner.

Overall it's not the best thing Weihenstephaner has brewed but it's very drinkable. To me it's more of a Munich Hell than Oktoberfest, but that's OK - it's a very good Hell, about on par with a Spaten Lager. It goes very good with food, particularly Bratwurst, which puts it up a notch in my book.

3.57/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap:
Clear yellow golden with modest head, but fair edging. I can't smell much, lightly sweet light grains.

Taste is crisp and clean, cracker, bit of hay; a hint of core fruit-apple/pear, but as an accent. The hops is a little more bold than I expected, for a lager. The flavors they bring are sort of light grass and a hint of lemon, and it does have a drying effect.

Nothing outstanding, but a nice refreshing beer that finishes on a more bitter note than a bunch of lagers.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a clear, straw color. 5/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of slight citrus, pale malt, slight sweet malt, hint of hop, and euro yeast. Fits the style of a Marzen / Oktoberfest. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of pale malt, hint of sweet malt, hint of citrus, hint of hop, and euro yeast. Overall, great appearance, good aroma, decent feel, decent body, and decent blend.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Serving Type: Bottle

A: 4.25 Crystal clear yellow-gold. I was expecting this to be a bit darker, more of a reddish-brown. The two-inch, off-white head is very fluffy and lasts for a few minutes.

S: 4 Smells crisp and clean. A good amount of toasted bread, a bit of grassiness, and candied lemon.

T: 4 Again, clean flavors that highlight the grain. More bread, malt, and some roasted corn (almost like fresh tortillas). There is some mild spice bringing pepper and ginger. The finish is a bit sweet with the lemon and citrus from the nose with a pleasant bitterness that lingers for a moment.

M: 4.25 Light and refreshing with good carbonation and a slightly dry finish. I would have thought this would have been more full-bodied, however the mouthfeel is still very good.

O: 4 This is very good and refreshing beer. I was thinking it would be a bit darker with more body and roasted malt flavors (like a transition from typical summer beers to dark, winter beers). This reminds me more of a really good pilsner with more interesting flavors and aromas. Still a good beer, just different than I was expecting and hoping for.

Sampling right now on 9/13/14. Comes in a single 550ml (16.9 ounce) bottle for $3.75. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 'Weihenstephaner' .5L handled glass stein.

Pours a straw-yellow in color that is much lighter in color than other Oktoberfest brews I have had with a good 4-finger foamy white head that had lots of lacing when sipped! Very surprised at both actually. Lots going on with the aroma and is of grains, yeast with a hint of citrus. Even more so going on with the taste that has a hint of honey, herbal and bread (yeast). Very tasty and goes down very easy with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all! Medium bodied as well as medium carbonation. Fantastic brew and the BEST Oktoberfest style beer to date!

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a clear light gold with a very short-lived fizzy white head. A little bit a head lasts on the surface, aided by a steady carbonation stream. The aroma is light but distinct: grassy, biscuits, earthy, with the hops dominating. The aroma is in lock-step but a bit more malt-forward, with the hops coming in towards the finish. The body is lighter, but not watery and there's a slight bit of carbonation, but barely noticeable. A really good lager.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance- Clear and golden; looks more like a pilsner or munich helles than an oktoberfest beer. Barely a one finger head produced on this.

Aroma- Sweet toasty malts with a bit of spice hops in there too.

Taste- First sip I get almost a pilsner-esque light nutty malt which gradually gains some toasty/caramel sweetness as well. Definitely get a spice/herbal hop snap at the beginning and it lingers to the finish as well.

Mouthfeel- No complaints here with a light/medium body with a smooth, clean finish.

Overall- Its a good beer, but I expect/prefer oktoberfests to be maltier. While, this has some malt presence, its simply too light and unassertive. Seems like they were going for a balanced approach, which they succeeded in, but some styles are better a little unbalanced (eg. ipas). I would drink this again, but I would not purchase this again. However, I am glad I tried it as it shows the the apparently broad range in which oktoberfests can be made. (80/100)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Looks, smells and tastes like a pilsner. Still a pretty good beer, but not what I expect in an Oktoberfest.

Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan