Weihenstephaner Original - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner OriginalWeihenstephaner Original

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-30-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Original Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Very pale yellow colour with a rocky, loose-bubbled head of white foam. Not much retention or lacing. Some bead, racing through the very thin looking body. Can't say it looks terribly appealing.

Metallic, funky yeast aromas on the nose. Definite notes of barnyard, bread yeast and rotting grains. Really quite offensive. Can't say I like this at all.

Taste is very flat - a thin, watery sugar character with a late belt of fungus encrusted metal. Very weak, unpleasant and offensive, bordering on undrinkable. Mouthfeel woefully thin and flat.

Quite certainly a very unappealing and unpleasant beer. Devoid of all but the most offensive characters, leaving it like a rasp across an open wound.

I can only say that either this bottle was off, out of date, poorly stored or brewed under license by unhygienic fishmongers. I can't understand how my review is so out of whack with the general opinion, but truly the bottle I had was appallingly bad.

1.98/5  rDev -51.4%

Very pale straw colored body, head starts out big but dissipates quickly, almost no lace and very little carbonation.
Grass grain and bread makes up the nose of this brew.
Very little taste to this one and almost no aftertaste at all. Some weak wet bread flavor mixed in with a faint astringency.
Thin body and hardly any coating, very bland and boring.

-Oelergud

Not very impressive. you'd think in 1000 years they could have come up with some better qualities. Golden color with medium carbonation, thin head and bland lager flavoring. Finish was somewhat weak as well, and there was hardly any flavor left by the end of the glass.

2.15/5  rDev -47.2%

Pale appearance, not weizen-pale but not English-ale gold. Pours with a very generous, slightly off-white head, but that dissipates very quickly. Slow bead of carbonation. Slight lacing. Nice, but not great.

Slightly rich, earthy hop aroma and a slightly sticky honey at the back. A bit of sticky yeast lingers. Standard lagery nose really, fairly aromatic without being pleasant. In fact it's unpleasant.

A fair amount of honey throughout the palate, not really desired. Slight yeasty/hoppy bitterness on the back, a bit of a sticky mouthfeel; body is quite thick and slow, with very little carbonation upon drinking. This is overly sticky, and quite unpleasant. When I'm drinking a lager I expect some sort of gas. Having said that, the palate is not very nice, yes, but it's fairly well balanced. This is drinkable enough and it's what I would expect given the style.

2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

2.23/5  rDev -45.2%

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a foamy white head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Slightly spicy/grassy hop aroma with some sweet grainy malts in the background.

Taste: A letdown after the decent aroma. Very mild hop profile thats overshadowed by the dominant plastic-tasting overly sweet maltiness that is reminiscent of some weaker porters. Kind of a chemical aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Too carbonated and kind of syrupy. Too thick for a lager.

Drinkability: Mouthfeel is too heavy and the taste a bit too offensive for me to finish.

What a disappointment. I grabbed this bottle thinking it was the famous Hefeweizen (label is very similar) and figured this would be similarly tasty, but I was woefully mistaken. I would recommend avoiding this one.

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

Aroma is not great. Little bit of a stale beer smell. A little bit of the interesting smells of the hefeweisebier hiding under there.

Taste not doing much for me. Reminds me of an Indian beer I might get with dinner sometime. Little bit of bitter taste, pretty flat flavor over all.

Other good reviews are not changing my mind. Either the bottle was no longer at its best, or it’s just not a beer I enjoy.

Overall: C

2.28/5  rDev -44%

Even from a brewer of this notoriety, this "Premium" labeled beer isn't close to the best I've ever had.

A faded, dull gold color body. Lathery, stiff white head; Defiant. Rings of splattered lace.

Plastic-y banana/pineapple esters & a touch of clove & mint. Doughy/yeasty aspect is way in back. Petroleum & noble hop fumes waft off the top.

The brew lacks some carbonation. Makes it feel greasy. Beer otherwise tastes fine, if a little like their filtered hefeweizen. These are some of the freshest German beers out on the shelf, so I'm probably just not a huge fan of their house yeast(which seems a little subdued to me). Their malt profile is certainly tasty. Anyway, this beer features a sweet doughy front end, sweet orange/honey citric middle(with just barely a tang there), & a sticky caramelized grain finish. Excuse the run-on. I-O-U = hops. Maybe a touch leafy, maybe. Again, this can't be an old bottle, unless the distro is sitting on a mound of it.

This tastes like a generic malty Euro lager to me. At least it doesn't smell like one. Sorry.

2.33/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a clean deep yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a small gingerbread like malt and not much of anything really. In the taste, a gingerbread like malt and a note of lemon citrus. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry gingerbread like malt and a note of citrus in the aftertaste. A mix of malt and lemon citrus, eh!

2.35/5  rDev -42.3%

I was dissapointed with this beer. It tasted a lot like Grolsh or St. Pauli Girl. It had a certain bitterness at the end that I did not enjoy. Everything else about it was okay. A decent head and a nice golden color. Just a bitterness like Grolsh and St. Pauli Girl that I do not like.

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

Got a 500mL bottle from Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY for $3.49. Code 3499 stamped on the label. Served cold in a chilled weizen glass.

Immediately up on cracking the seal I get a big dose of skunk. A hearty pour gives a nice 2" of rocky light tan head on top of a clear light yellow brew, leaves good lace on the glass. Nose is a pungent sulfur skunk that dissipates a bit as it airs, allowing some raw grains and silage to pull forward, mostly dry. Taste is a bunch of residual skunk, then grains similar to the smell. I kinda like a bit of skunk but this is way too much, perhaps a very old and/or very improperly stored bottle.

I find the smell and taste hard to rate... kudos for a bit of skunk, but *bleh* for way way too much.

2.42/5  rDev -40.5%

Don't believe the hype. Everybody has different experiences and tastes. Weihenstephaner doesn't live up to my desires.

Appearance was somewhat disconcerting to me. Appeared as a pale, somewhat hazy (yet clear) apricot color with a thin head that disappeared quickly. Carbonation was constant.

Smell was of corn and malt. Rather average with nothing to discern from just the aroma.

Taste was actually worse than Budweiser's. It doesn't rather work out for me because it tasted just like a vienna lager crossed with a macro American lager... except with a slightly worse taste.

Mouthfeel was decent with a very full body but later on with the brew, began to get heavier the more I drank it. Definitely wore on and then the carbonation gave out during the back end. A bit below average in my view.

Drinkability wasn't great. I almost finished the beer but when it went flat during the last eighth or so of the beer, I had no desire to finish off the beer as the taste didn't appeal to me. I have no desire to hunt down this beer to drink, especially when I could spend the same money on a beer I like.

2.42/5  rDev -40.5%

Light straw colored lager. Decent bit of carbonation, thin white head. A poorly carbonated budwiser? Not even sure it looks that good.

Earthy malt dominates here. The hops somewhat mix with it and give this beer a very earthy grainy aroma. Still overall fairly sweet in nature.

Not overly complex. The aromas are all in the taste. A sweet malty beer with a lot of earthy nature to it. The hops are subtle but enough is there to keep this from being overly sweet. That said there isn't a lot going on here.

Very good mouth feel. Carbonation is great in the mouth and very crisp. Moderately clean as well.

A very drinkable and sessionable beer.

A great example of a bad style. On a hot day you might find this pretty nice, if you know water is nowhere to be found. Other wise, I'm not sure why I'd go back to this? Maybe if I wanted something earthy but wouldn't dominate the food? For the style this is near the top, but while I did take style into consideration, I'm not rating for the style.

On second thought talk about a good way to wing someone from macro lagers. Shows that a lager can have character and some flavor. At the same time the beer doesn't have so much flavor or power that it could cause anyone an issue.

2.43/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A: straw golden color with a large foamy white head.
S: Can't put my finger on it. Almost like warm milk with dough, quite stale.
T: Better then the smell suggests. Like a pilsener, but then the stale flavor kicks in at the end.
M: Quite bland and low carbonation.

O: Not my beer. It's just like a regular pilsener, but with a little weird but quite a bland taste. I'm just don't get why this is so highly rated.I know many better beers which are half the price. I prefer their white/wheat bears.

Bros: Be more critical so there's actually a reliable rating. And i'm not referring to this beer, but pretty much any review has 90+. You even communicate beer karma rules - so might be worthwhile to consider this yourself as well. Be more detailed in the rating is all i'm saying. 100 means it's perfect. And what's the benchmark? My benchmark is i've never had the perfect beer - so 100 is pretty much impossible, unless i really feel like heaven drinking a beer. This beer made you feel in heaven? You can like it, don't mind me, but be realistic ...

2.48/5  rDev -39.1%