Weihenstephaner Original - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner OriginalWeihenstephaner Original

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Original Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +3%

From a 16.9 ounce bottle poured into a goblet. No freshness date to be found and I would bet this is older than it should be... it has certainly been in temperatures that weren't beer friendly.
Still!
Pours a hazy, light amber color with some good bubbling and a decent amount of lacing for a lager.
Smells... Belgian! well, almost. It's probably the malts but I'm getting smells that remind me quite a bit of Belgian yeasts. Very bold scent, doesn't smell old or skunked, I personally enjoy it a great deal. More fragrant than any lager I've come across.
Tastes rich and malty... reminds me of a witbier in a lot of ways. Mouthfeel is pretty thick for a lager, with a lingering aftertaste that I can't quite place though I know I've tasted it before... I don't mind it one bit.
A bit too sweet to be super drinkable but I'd be happy with another pint.
Great bang for the buck beer.

ommegangpbr, Jun 28, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A lager I can enjoy and the spouse likes it, too! Reasonably priced also.

Clear bright gold with bridal white head and columns of carbonation. Nose was a bit bready, but simply the lack of a corn smell in a beer this color is enough to make it a winner. Taste was light and smooth. This is the answer to those macro folks who "can't taste their beers" because it has just enough crispness, just enough hop bite to make it a quenching, if a tad boring, and satisfying beverage. The mouthfeel is a little too thin, but never watery, for my taste. Consuming these should not be an issue for anyone who even remotely likes beer.

pentathlete, Jun 26, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

This one pours a clear blonde color with a white head that sticks around for a short time. No real lacing going on. The aroma is of light malt and mild hops. The taste follows the nose. It has the flavor of light malt with a light hop aftertaste. A little bit of a dry finish. The mouthfeel is average. medium carbonation with a dry finish. It's a semi-drinkable beer. I wouldn't stop anyone from trying it but I don't know if I'd recommend it. It's a good beer but there is nothing about it that stands out and makes it special.

Brian700, Jun 13, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a clear pale yellow (almost the shade of budwieser) with a nice white head that dissapates quickly...pretty average looking lager. Smell is bready malt with a fruity yeast background, wasnt really expecting the fruity, banana like smell from this lager. Taste is pretty standard for a munich helles, very clean palate with a bread-like malt accent and a light fruity banana flavor hiding in the background. The finish is clean and crisp, the mouthfeel is thin and its moderately carbonated. The drinkability is pretty high, this is a somewhat flavorful beer thats extremely drinkable, a pretty good offering from brauerei Weihenstephan but not really up to the standard of their wheat beers.

silver0rlead, Jun 10, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours a very light golden color with a finger of white head a little bit of lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles visible even after a few minutes in the glass. Clean biscuitlike malt aroma with a little bit of floral hops are present in the nose. The taste is more of the same biscuity malts, with a mild citric hoppiness joining in at the end. The extremely clean and crisp finish and the simple malt goodness makes this a very refreshing brew. As someone who prefers ales, I must say this is an excellent beer, and probably the best lager I've had the pleasure of tasting.

cubedbee, Jun 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +1%

This one's just lovely on tap...pale golden yellow with a nice big head that slowly recedes into nice lace.

Smell and flavor are both largely malt, with a nice toasty grain feel and some more understated citrus and floral notes really rounding things out nicely. Taste is quite clean and crisp. Sort of a nice biscuity flavor in the finish that I really like.

Overall: Kind of cliched, but this is sort of the grandaddy of good lagers; well worth seeking out on tap; it's even better than in bottles.

whartontallboy, May 26, 2005

Appearance: Pours a clear, pale golden color with a nice white head that quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing

Smell: Malty biscuit nose with faint citrus hops in the background

Taste: Very clean; starts out with a good biscuit malt backbone which survives through to the finish; a spicy mild lemon citrus flavor joins the fray and provides a nice crisp finish

Mouthfeel: Typical lager mouthfeel with good carbonation

Drinkability: Although I'm not a big lager fan, this is a beer that fits the bill to a Tee; a good one for a summer's day at the beach

brentk56, May 20, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

A pretty good German Brew. Hay like golden colour, that pours out clear with medium carbonation and a decent head. Left a touch of lace around the glass as the head came down. Odors of malt and alcohol were detected, as were the faint scent of baked bread. Flavor was straighforward and crisp, with overtones of malt, yeast and hops. A very good example of German beers brewed to the 1516 Purity Law. Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, Apr 27, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a very clear light golden color with a very tall white fluffy head. Appears very effervescent. Smells of grassy hops, slight citrus notes (lemony) and sweet, toasted sugar aromas. Taste is more citrus-y than the smell, with a prominent lemon flavor that melds with some hop bitterness and a very slight malty flavor backing it up. Extremely light and refreshing...finish is crisp and clean with a faint hop bitterness lingering. Very drinkable, with a light body and high carbonation.

beertastegood, Apr 26, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +1%

16.9oz bottle with no dates pored into a pilsner.

Pale gold with a small white head that manages to leave some lacing.

Smells malty with some yeast and slight hops. There's also some grain like aromas.

A nice clean balance of hop and malt make up most of the taste. The hops provide a dry finish that is also clean. The light mouthfeel and low abv make this a very drinkable beer as warmer weather approaches.

Notes: Although I'm not a lager drinker, I do enjoy SA Boston Lager with large meals. I could see Weihenstephaner becoming it's replacement as it is a much more balanced, not as hoppy, alternative.

ypsifly, Apr 11, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

This beer may be classified as a Munich Helles Lager, but it tasted extremely similar to a Breznak I had recently. Same floral hop aroma, same average head retention, and possibly the same effects of not being quite fresh enough. This last point may have led to the comparison - I can't remember what it's like to have fresher than the one I just had, but in any case, this and Breznak are in the same beer category in my book. In fact, I bought this thinking it was the Hefeweißbier (which I really felt like) but didn't read the label properly and realised upon the first sip (and spurious clarity) that it wasn't a Weissbier at all. And to think, I broke one of my good Weizen glasses while getting it out, and I wasn't even having a Weissbier after all! In any case, a good beer, better consumed fresh, but doesn't satisfy when you're after a real Weizen. Good thing I'm following it up with a Weihenstephaner Dunkel...

Weizenmensch, Apr 08, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours an effervescent clear pale blonde color topped with a pure white head. Looks very refreshing and inviting. Clean aroma of grass and grain, very slight floral note. Good smell, but a little weak. Taste is very smooth and clean. Hops and malt are equally married, beginning to end. A refreshing lemony hop jolt is well backed by sweet and biscuity malt. Some grassiness is present and dances with faint fruit. A hint of clove or some other spice is present as well. Perfect carbonation balances the creamy mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable and refreshing lager.

BeerFink, Apr 06, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +1%

Golden yellow with an impressive white head that laces around the glass. Which means, the head retention is great! It blankets the top of the Lager till the very end.

The aroma is full of black pepper spice, lemon, grass, and bread. Very clean!

The aroma reflects the taste. Very clean crisp light citrus from the hop, followed by the honey sweet like malt.

The finish is light and refreshing with the malt lingering a little.

Clean tasty refreshing, authentic German Lager! Nothing more to say... pick some up!! You will love it!!

Luigi, Mar 28, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I thought I would try something a little different from the usual Pales, IPA's, Stouts, Porters, Belgian styles, etc. to earn the empty mug picture next to my name. I don't usually drink a lot of lagers, and I figured I should venture into the world of German beers if I wanted to get into lagers. I also thought I would stick with a style that I have enjoyed from a different brewery (I absolutely loved the Boulevard Bob's 47) usuing the bros. recommendation from the styles; but there is just something about real German lagers that I am not particularly fond of, aside from Bocks and Marzen. I am not typically the person who will rate a beer low just because it isn't unbearably dark, roasted, and hoppy, but on the other hand, I don't like my beer to give me a sour apple pucker face. This wasn't quite as unbearable as the Kindl Weiss, but if the fact that I was actually able to finish this beer instead of pouring out half is any testament to its greatness, I'll be friggin' damned. Anyways, on to the actual review.

The appearance is crystal clear and yellow with a thin white head that disappears to nothing soon after the pour, leaving no lace. The smell is overbearingly malty, and somehow the sourness is even detectable in the nose (although to be fair, this was after I had drank a few and the sourness was wearing thin on my mouth at this point). The taste was, as you could guess from my review, sour apple and some pale and/or wheat malts. Perhaps I am just biased towards ales, with a few exceptions, but I am by no means biased towards the darker, heavier brews. This just wasn't my cup of tea. The body was weak, and the drinkability was nullified by the puckering of my taste buds. I've been wanting to start venturing into diverse world of German beer for quite a while, but I've had nothing but disappointment from any [authentic] German beer I've ever had. I don't know what the deal is with the Purity Laws, but I tend to think it is making for some stale brew. Obviously I must be missing something, though, as the German styles seem to be quite beloved by everyone I know from the most beer savvy even to the most macro-piss-swill drinking of folks I know. I'll keep trying different German beers, but I am not impressed so far.

edit 2/28/2005: After abstaining from this brew for a few days, I decided to give another go with the remaining half of my 6 pack. For some reason I enjoyed this much more and have adjusted my marks accordingly (I would still recommend the Boulevard Bob's '47 over this if accessible and in season).

neonbrown82, Mar 26, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -18%

poured out a yellow beer with much carbonation, 2 finger head.Mild grainy smell slightly sweet smell.Tastes pretty standard,wayy better then a macro lager but along the same lines,clean ending beer. Mouthfeel is pretty boring,average. Not a bad brew though, wouldnt mind knocking a few back once in a while.

tweeder263, Mar 25, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Slightly hazy pale peach with milky white head.

Sweet lemony scent that hangs in there. Hint of bread yeast emerges.

More lemon up front overlaying sweet malt, which seemed almost honey-cloying at first, but as the hops emerged all falls into balance. More yeastiness binds it together and offers some fruitiness.

Light bodied with mild carbonation.

Pretty nice, but I keep losing interest in it. Took me a while to finish it off.

gentlebubbles, Mar 09, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance: A very light golden color. The color is nearly indistinguishable from macrobrews like Old Style, Stroh's, or Miller High Life. There isn't much head. Most of it fades quickly, but the remnants of the head leave some decent lacing on the side of the glass. Overall, it's pretty average to look at.

Smell: Light, bready malt.

Taste: The mouthfeel is a little thin, but the carbonation is low enough to keep the beer from feeling soda-like. The taste mostly consists of toasty malt, and there's a very, very light touch of citrus-tasting hops in the finish. This is a very simple, straight-forward lager.

Verdict: Not bad for what it is. It's not especially complex or flavorful, but it's a nice, easy-drinking, malty lager. I'm not sure it's worth paying import price for it all the time, but it's a nice beer all the same.

bearrunner44, Feb 25, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a lightly hazed straw gold color with a thin white head. Aromas of bready pale malts, a light yeastiness and faint hopping. This helles is going to be swayed towards the malty side. It is very crisp and tasty, malty and smooth. Lightly astringent from moderate hopping that comes through in the finish paired with a faint citrusiness which makes for a very drinkable lager. The yeast has its own flavor profile, which is faintly chalky and nutty. It actually is pretty well balanced. Not as malt-dominant as I thought from the aroma. A finely crafted helles in every sense. Recommended for any occasion when a lighter, yet flavorful lager is in order.

crookedhalo, Feb 19, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - hazy pale yellow, straw-colored pour. Forms a snappy head of 2+ fingers, but quickly recedes to a solid cover, leaving thin but clingy lace trails high on the glass.

Aroma - grassy grain, yeast and some banana that fades after a bit. For a pale-looking lager, this one distinguishes itself by maintaining its aroma to a reasonable degree.

Taste - the malt has a darker, fuller and tastier character than most beers of similar appearance. A beginning of some yeast flavors which tend to dominate this brew, but they do not develop past that initial bready stage. Nice hop balance, provides a tickle of bitter citrus. Alcohol comes through at times, but only for a breathy moment. Well done for the style.

Mouthfeel - thin and crisp, it waters the taste down some. It could have a bit more body for flavor enhancement, IMO.

Drinkability - good session beer, good cross-over beer. I'll have to try a sixer this summer.

brewdlyhooked13, Feb 04, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Crystal clear gold color, with no head at all, just a slight film. I used a clean hand-washed glass, so I'm knocking off points.

Aroma: Sweet malt, with an ever-so-slight spicy note.

Flavor: Grainy, sweet malt barley flavor. Bitterness is minimal but there are some herbal, honey-like hop flavors. Finish is clean and light.

Body: Medium-light body.

I admit this is a hard-to-appreciate style for me. This beer is spot-on for all the requisite characteristics, except the head. But it still seems bland to me (and disappointing because Weihenstephaner makes my favorite hefeweizen, without any doubt).

allengarvin, Jan 11, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

1/2/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 16.9 oz bottle with a code of "9213" on the bottom of the back label. Poured into my Radeberger 1/2 liter glass.

Appearance- Darker yellow straw coloring with a foamy white head and adequate lacing.

Smell- Mostly malt with a bit of citrus twang. Maybe a few hops.

Taste- Bleach! At first taste it's pure metallic. Like sucking on a spoon. It does get a bit better though. Nice mix of malt and hops once the actual flavor sinks in. Some lemony tastes mixed in.

Mouthfeel- Actually quite creamy with a nice added hop bitterness.

Drinkability- That damn metallic flavor did it in for this beer. Even though the taste eventually went away 1/2 through the bottle, it still ruined it for me.

GClarkage, Jan 02, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into the glass with a small head of foam, almost non exsistant. The aroma was refreshing, reminded me of Paulaner's Orginal Munich Lager. The taste came with an orangish bitterness upfront, a tangy middle, and a subtle dry finish. Very nice mouthfeel, the carbonation wasn't overwhelming. Pretty big bragging rights for being around since 1050. I always wanted to try something from the world's oldest beer making establishment, I wasn't disappointed.

brownbottlehall, Jan 02, 2005
4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

There's something about this beer. It feels like it dances all the way down into my stomach. Strange, eh? It's a wonderful, albeit freaky, feeling, though.

Dark, cloudy yellow and gold with a small head. Nothing exceptional in the appearance. Smells malty with a little bit of herb and the run of the mill earthen odor of a Euro lager. Nothing too great.

Mild but great taste. Citrus bittersweet hops upfront with a sour twang of malt in the back.

Light and crisp, this is nice little beer. I've heard that it's much better in Germany, where the bottles haven't been sitting on the shelf for 8 months before being bought, and this Lager doesn't really seem as fresh as Weihenstephaner's other beers. Still worth a try, though.

mynie, Dec 02, 2004
1.98/5  rDev -51.2%

Very pale straw colored body, head starts out big but dissipates quickly, almost no lace and very little carbonation.
Grass grain and bread makes up the nose of this brew.
Very little taste to this one and almost no aftertaste at all. Some weak wet bread flavor mixed in with a faint astringency.
Thin body and hardly any coating, very bland and boring.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Sep 28, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Thrilled to see this brew make an appearance in my local Moscow grocery store. Bottle looks just like the one in the picture. Purity law, of course. Best before 5/27/05, I opened it on 9/23/04.

Pours clear gold under a thick 1.5 finger white head that lingers well but can't muster any lace. A smooth malty nose wafts up from the brew, mild to the point of sublime, with nothing but the purest barley tone. The mouth is light and very prickly. The taste typifies the style, mild and smooth barley malt flavors, with just a touch of sour to add some zest. There is no hoppy bitterness, but a flowery presence starts to grow as the sip count increases and the beer warms, adding a hint of spice to the aftertaste. This is a good, pleasant, if not spectacular beer.

Globetrotter, Sep 24, 2004