Weihenstephaner Original - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-30-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Original Alström Bros
Reviews: 821 | Hads: 1,996
3.44/5  rDev -14%

This beer may be classified as a Munich Helles Lager, but it tasted extremely similar to a Breznak I had recently. Same floral hop aroma, same average head retention, and possibly the same effects of not being quite fresh enough. This last point may have led to the comparison - I can't remember what it's like to have fresher than the one I just had, but in any case, this and Breznak are in the same beer category in my book. In fact, I bought this thinking it was the Hefeweißbier (which I really felt like) but didn't read the label properly and realised upon the first sip (and spurious clarity) that it wasn't a Weissbier at all. And to think, I broke one of my good Weizen glasses while getting it out, and I wasn't even having a Weissbier after all! In any case, a good beer, better consumed fresh, but doesn't satisfy when you're after a real Weizen. Good thing I'm following it up with a Weihenstephaner Dunkel... (924 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours an effervescent clear pale blonde color topped with a pure white head. Looks very refreshing and inviting. Clean aroma of grass and grain, very slight floral note. Good smell, but a little weak. Taste is very smooth and clean. Hops and malt are equally married, beginning to end. A refreshing lemony hop jolt is well backed by sweet and biscuity malt. Some grassiness is present and dances with faint fruit. A hint of clove or some other spice is present as well. Perfect carbonation balances the creamy mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable and refreshing lager. (562 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Golden yellow with an impressive white head that laces around the glass. Which means, the head retention is great! It blankets the top of the Lager till the very end.

The aroma is full of black pepper spice, lemon, grass, and bread. Very clean!

The aroma reflects the taste. Very clean crisp light citrus from the hop, followed by the honey sweet like malt.

The finish is light and refreshing with the malt lingering a little.

Clean tasty refreshing, authentic German Lager! Nothing more to say... pick some up!! You will love it!! (539 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I thought I would try something a little different from the usual Pales, IPA's, Stouts, Porters, Belgian styles, etc. to earn the empty mug picture next to my name. I don't usually drink a lot of lagers, and I figured I should venture into the world of German beers if I wanted to get into lagers. I also thought I would stick with a style that I have enjoyed from a different brewery (I absolutely loved the Boulevard Bob's 47) usuing the bros. recommendation from the styles; but there is just something about real German lagers that I am not particularly fond of, aside from Bocks and Marzen. I am not typically the person who will rate a beer low just because it isn't unbearably dark, roasted, and hoppy, but on the other hand, I don't like my beer to give me a sour apple pucker face. This wasn't quite as unbearable as the Kindl Weiss, but if the fact that I was actually able to finish this beer instead of pouring out half is any testament to its greatness, I'll be friggin' damned. Anyways, on to the actual review.

The appearance is crystal clear and yellow with a thin white head that disappears to nothing soon after the pour, leaving no lace. The smell is overbearingly malty, and somehow the sourness is even detectable in the nose (although to be fair, this was after I had drank a few and the sourness was wearing thin on my mouth at this point). The taste was, as you could guess from my review, sour apple and some pale and/or wheat malts. Perhaps I am just biased towards ales, with a few exceptions, but I am by no means biased towards the darker, heavier brews. This just wasn't my cup of tea. The body was weak, and the drinkability was nullified by the puckering of my taste buds. I've been wanting to start venturing into diverse world of German beer for quite a while, but I've had nothing but disappointment from any [authentic] German beer I've ever had. I don't know what the deal is with the Purity Laws, but I tend to think it is making for some stale brew. Obviously I must be missing something, though, as the German styles seem to be quite beloved by everyone I know from the most beer savvy even to the most macro-piss-swill drinking of folks I know. I'll keep trying different German beers, but I am not impressed so far.

edit 2/28/2005: After abstaining from this brew for a few days, I decided to give another go with the remaining half of my 6 pack. For some reason I enjoyed this much more and have adjusted my marks accordingly (I would still recommend the Boulevard Bob's '47 over this if accessible and in season). (2,563 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

poured out a yellow beer with much carbonation, 2 finger head.Mild grainy smell slightly sweet smell.Tastes pretty standard,wayy better then a macro lager but along the same lines,clean ending beer. Mouthfeel is pretty boring,average. Not a bad brew though, wouldnt mind knocking a few back once in a while. (307 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Slightly hazy pale peach with milky white head.

Sweet lemony scent that hangs in there. Hint of bread yeast emerges.

More lemon up front overlaying sweet malt, which seemed almost honey-cloying at first, but as the hops emerged all falls into balance. More yeastiness binds it together and offers some fruitiness.

Light bodied with mild carbonation.

Pretty nice, but I keep losing interest in it. Took me a while to finish it off. (443 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: A very light golden color. The color is nearly indistinguishable from macrobrews like Old Style, Stroh's, or Miller High Life. There isn't much head. Most of it fades quickly, but the remnants of the head leave some decent lacing on the side of the glass. Overall, it's pretty average to look at.

Smell: Light, bready malt.

Taste: The mouthfeel is a little thin, but the carbonation is low enough to keep the beer from feeling soda-like. The taste mostly consists of toasty malt, and there's a very, very light touch of citrus-tasting hops in the finish. This is a very simple, straight-forward lager.

Verdict: Not bad for what it is. It's not especially complex or flavorful, but it's a nice, easy-drinking, malty lager. I'm not sure it's worth paying import price for it all the time, but it's a nice beer all the same. (842 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a lightly hazed straw gold color with a thin white head. Aromas of bready pale malts, a light yeastiness and faint hopping. This helles is going to be swayed towards the malty side. It is very crisp and tasty, malty and smooth. Lightly astringent from moderate hopping that comes through in the finish paired with a faint citrusiness which makes for a very drinkable lager. The yeast has its own flavor profile, which is faintly chalky and nutty. It actually is pretty well balanced. Not as malt-dominant as I thought from the aroma. A finely crafted helles in every sense. Recommended for any occasion when a lighter, yet flavorful lager is in order. (657 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance - hazy pale yellow, straw-colored pour. Forms a snappy head of 2+ fingers, but quickly recedes to a solid cover, leaving thin but clingy lace trails high on the glass.

Aroma - grassy grain, yeast and some banana that fades after a bit. For a pale-looking lager, this one distinguishes itself by maintaining its aroma to a reasonable degree.

Taste - the malt has a darker, fuller and tastier character than most beers of similar appearance. A beginning of some yeast flavors which tend to dominate this brew, but they do not develop past that initial bready stage. Nice hop balance, provides a tickle of bitter citrus. Alcohol comes through at times, but only for a breathy moment. Well done for the style.

Mouthfeel - thin and crisp, it waters the taste down some. It could have a bit more body for flavor enhancement, IMO.

Drinkability - good session beer, good cross-over beer. I'll have to try a sixer this summer. (940 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: Crystal clear gold color, with no head at all, just a slight film. I used a clean hand-washed glass, so I'm knocking off points.

Aroma: Sweet malt, with an ever-so-slight spicy note.

Flavor: Grainy, sweet malt barley flavor. Bitterness is minimal but there are some herbal, honey-like hop flavors. Finish is clean and light.

Body: Medium-light body.

I admit this is a hard-to-appreciate style for me. This beer is spot-on for all the requisite characteristics, except the head. But it still seems bland to me (and disappointing because Weihenstephaner makes my favorite hefeweizen, without any doubt). (626 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%

1/2/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 16.9 oz bottle with a code of "9213" on the bottom of the back label. Poured into my Radeberger 1/2 liter glass.

Appearance- Darker yellow straw coloring with a foamy white head and adequate lacing.

Smell- Mostly malt with a bit of citrus twang. Maybe a few hops.

Taste- Bleach! At first taste it's pure metallic. Like sucking on a spoon. It does get a bit better though. Nice mix of malt and hops once the actual flavor sinks in. Some lemony tastes mixed in.

Mouthfeel- Actually quite creamy with a nice added hop bitterness.

Drinkability- That damn metallic flavor did it in for this beer. Even though the taste eventually went away 1/2 through the bottle, it still ruined it for me. (774 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into the glass with a small head of foam, almost non exsistant. The aroma was refreshing, reminded me of Paulaner's Orginal Munich Lager. The taste came with an orangish bitterness upfront, a tangy middle, and a subtle dry finish. Very nice mouthfeel, the carbonation wasn't overwhelming. Pretty big bragging rights for being around since 1050. I always wanted to try something from the world's oldest beer making establishment, I wasn't disappointed. (458 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

There's something about this beer. It feels like it dances all the way down into my stomach. Strange, eh? It's a wonderful, albeit freaky, feeling, though.

Dark, cloudy yellow and gold with a small head. Nothing exceptional in the appearance. Smells malty with a little bit of herb and the run of the mill earthen odor of a Euro lager. Nothing too great.

Mild but great taste. Citrus bittersweet hops upfront with a sour twang of malt in the back.

Light and crisp, this is nice little beer. I've heard that it's much better in Germany, where the bottles haven't been sitting on the shelf for 8 months before being bought, and this Lager doesn't really seem as fresh as Weihenstephaner's other beers. Still worth a try, though. (729 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -50.8%

Very pale straw colored body, head starts out big but dissipates quickly, almost no lace and very little carbonation.
Grass grain and bread makes up the nose of this brew.
Very little taste to this one and almost no aftertaste at all. Some weak wet bread flavor mixed in with a faint astringency.
Thin body and hardly any coating, very bland and boring.

-Oelergud (369 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -10.8%

Thrilled to see this brew make an appearance in my local Moscow grocery store. Bottle looks just like the one in the picture. Purity law, of course. Best before 5/27/05, I opened it on 9/23/04.

Pours clear gold under a thick 1.5 finger white head that lingers well but can't muster any lace. A smooth malty nose wafts up from the brew, mild to the point of sublime, with nothing but the purest barley tone. The mouth is light and very prickly. The taste typifies the style, mild and smooth barley malt flavors, with just a touch of sour to add some zest. There is no hoppy bitterness, but a flowery presence starts to grow as the sip count increases and the beer warms, adding a hint of spice to the aftertaste. This is a good, pleasant, if not spectacular beer. (765 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5%

This brew has a darker straw/golden color clear body. Nice white foam head on top. Light sweet malt scent, hint of flowery hops. Sweet bready malt taste, kiss of hops, hint of lemon zest. Light/med bodied brew, very nice and refreshing. About as good as this style of beer can be done. (285 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9.5%

Maybe I'm just getting sick of this style cuz I have tried many of them recently. None have really achieved the taste I want, save Paulaner/Hacker Schorr and even these can and should
be much fresher than the ones I am getting.

Pours that gold straw everyone keeps talking about. No murkiness-no head --minimal carbonation -no lace either. Smell is malty, grassy, herby and typical of that Euro-lager type of taste- a small bit of nuttiness too. Taste is almost the same as the smell except it finishes wet on the palate but in a nice way which helps mouthfeel and drinkabilty.Overall, the other brands I mention are better for this style but I would still recommend this one. (681 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a pale golden color with a rocky short lived head.
minimal lacing.

Very mild aroma. citrus and malt. (biscuts)

Flavor is very mild, slightly sweet slightly lemony bitter.
Average brew.

It is quite refreshing, but it lacks a little in the flavor dept. (269 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Serving size: 12 oz. Marked 0053 on back label.

Pours out a very pale crystal yellow and sits light straw in color with a nice 1/2 finger, foamy white head.

Smells nice, lightly lemony with a grainy background. Some hops noted, but just a fair dusting.

Tastes like a million bucks. Like a freshly baked buttermilk buscuit straight out of the oven, schmeared in butter. Maltiness is accompanied well by a very light hop flavor and mild bitterness. Light acidic tang on the sides, I'd say it's more of a lemony flavor. Loose feeling of alcohol in the back of throat, leading all the way down.

Medium bodied, crisp and clean in the mouth with billowing carbonation. Flavors float all over the place. A great beer anytime of the day. (741 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

Limpid bright light gold. Just a bit too dark to be called straw. The head is a shade dimmer than cotton white and resembles softly beaten egg whites. Firmer than expected, the foam stays humped in the center and leaves chunky scraps of attractive lace. The nose consists of somewhat distant noble hops with a kiss of lemon citrus.

Very lightly toasted crackery malt glides across the tongue and is then gone. Grassy, slightly lemony hops provide some bitterness without overdoing it. The body is light but not thin, and the finish is the very definition of dry and crisp, while retaining a modicum of sweetness to the very end.

This is a tremendously drinkable, thirst-quenching, refreshing Munich Helles Lager. Because I'm not a big fan of noble hops, the gentle flavor and light body is just what the doctor ordered. 'Der Rasenmaherbier' indeed. While not nearly the equal of their hefe weizen, Weihenstephaner Original is still pretty good beer. (956 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

High marks to this, probably the best German Helles lager available in the U.S. Worth every penny.
Pours straw yellow, with foamy white head and faint, weak lacing at best.
Smell like a nice corn free lager should. Rich, malty with a nice German hop nose.
Nice, malty flavor, with a hop balance. Rich and fully bodied, with a nice carbonation.
Very drinkable, can't even imagine if it was on tap somewhere near me. Great beer, defines German lager. (452 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No freshness date
Pours a light straw color, with a big white head that fades quickly to a fine lace. Smell is predominantly sweet malt, maybe a little light grain. The taste is sweet and malty, but still very light. Some hops follow, with a short, dry finish. Mouthfeel is good, a very nice, light summer's brew. Very good drinkability, could definitely be a good session beer, and one good for converting macro drinkers. (423 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: not as clear as some lagers, but who cares for clear?

smell: Not as much lager aroma as I would have expected, more of a grassy/ almost wheat smell... def not like a wheat beer though ofcourse

taste: makes the back middle part of my tounge tingle a little, but very very smooth.. its taste not overwhelming/suprising any part of the mouth.. but where's the adventure?

mouthfeel: A fuller lager than some, with a very nice mouthfeel.

drinkability: very very drinkable, but what helles isn't??

notes: a good drinkable beer.. but that is what I expect from a helles.. it didn't do anything special for me... I'd probably opt for the one of my good ol' munich lagers next time (700 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

12 ounce bottle, with no freshness information. poured light amber/straw. Amost an olive oil like greenish hue. White soft creamy head, leaving lacing. Nose is bready,yeasty, also some pepper detected. Medium bodied, clean malt notes, not much hoppyness, but it does finish dry. Would go great with any summery foods. Fine session brew. (336 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.3%

A lovely vibrant yellow with a small head that leaves quickly, very very low carbonation.

Awesome nose of spices, yeast characters, grainy malt. Isn't overly strong, but has the signature grain smell that I associate with Munich Helles (albeit the very few I have had).

Taste is also a little quiet, with good mixture sweet malts, sweet leafiness and some fine back palate bitterness. As with all Weihenstephaner beers, the balance is fantastic which is a trait common in all their beers.

Not the most pleasant of aftertastes lets the overall beer down, but it is another solid Weihenstephaner offering. (612 characters)

Weihenstephaner Original from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan