Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,246 | Reviews: 2,411

This is the beer I want when I want a hefe weizen.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Hefe glass. Always save that last little bit at the bottom of the bottle to swirl around and get that yummy yeast at the bottom. Pours a hazy yellow with a full head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is banana nut bread goodness. Bananas, clove, biscuits, nuts.

Taste like it smells. Very well balanced. Delicious from start to finish. Yeasty.

Mouthfeel is very thick and perfect carbonation.

Overall this is and has always been one of my favorite beers. Yummy goodness!

A-The body is the haziest of orange, capped off by mountains of off-white head. Infinite finger thick is the head. It keeps building and growing and spilling out of your glass. Once the head finally falls you can start to see the cascading lace. The lace doesn't cling nor does it fall fast, it streams down in a relaxing fashion. So cloudy is the body and yet it shines like sun-bright egg yolks when held to light. Magic.

S-Banana. Clove. Cinnamon. Bubblegum. Candy sweet. Wheat. Dark bread. Take a hunk of banana bread and sniff it. Now sniff this beer. No difference. The beer will probably smell even better with a smorgasbord of scents on display.

T-Banana. Banana bread. Walnuts, almonds, buttery sweet nuts. Sweet wheat. Honey. Flashes of lemon & orange, very minimal. World class taste.

M-A watery yet still medium body is soft and refreshing. Medium carbonation is aided by beautiful spicy dry clove notes to where you become unsure which is tingling your tongue more: carbonation or spiced yeast? The sip starts, continues and ends in a harmonious fashion: Sweet, bready, lemony tart, mildly-to-heavily spiced and drying. The after-feel is super yeasty and peppery. Your taste-buds stand on end. Like all good things, it just "feels right".

O-The best Hefeweizen. A beer in which I can think of no area to improve in. In fact, stop reading as I'll stop reviewing and lets drink us some Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

Had on tap at The Farmhouse in Burlington. Was framed in a stange glass.

A: Sort of a sepia yellow. Or like the hair of that blonde girl on the beach when you were thirteen that one summer. It was a little cloudy She had to be six or seven years older, but you'd swear she winked when you saw her gawking. In any case, you were on vacation and would never see her again. Though you think of her from time to time, by the time you were old enough she'd probably be married and settled down. Best to leave that cloudy banana-yellow hair as a distant memory of your youth.

Beautiful day. The heady seafoam left lines where the waves hit the sand, lacing the beach like a white dress. Yeah, she'd be married by now.

S: The cottage you stayed in had a faint spicy scent like bananas and cloves. It was an alluring and strange scent; a bit foreign, and it made you wonder what the mysterious people who'd stayed here before were like.

T: "Probably just banana cream pie," someone commented at the time. You don't remember who. May have been your older brother, who moved to New Jersey for work and has two kids and is on his second wife.

The exotic illusion left your head, but a new one entered. The place was homey now. Sweet. Nothing so unusual as sweet banana cream and clove. There's also a bready taste to the kitchen air, though this isn't strong enough to carry through the rest of the cabin.

M: When you head back out to the beach, the girl is gone. The sand feels unusually fine between your toes, smooth and a little muddy. The foam collects on your feet and ankles and the little bubbles pop there, faint but enough that you can feel each minute explosion.

O: You don't have her in front of you right now, but you can look back at the framed picture of the beach and reminisce in a bittersweet way.

(I really want another one of these)

To start the review, I will admit to being a bit biased by this beer. When I went through a German phase about 16-17 years ago, this stood out in my memory, and I was not disappointed when I picked this up again for the first time in years.

Pours almost clear straw and golden yellow, with a huge fluffy pure white head that leaves chunky lacing and caps the beer until I swallow the last of it.

Smell is lemony, yeasty, light bready malts.

Taste is clean dry malts, pure, a hint of the yeast, and some lemon in the aftertaste.

Feel is smooth, flowing, light bodied, and probably the easiest drinking beer ever!

While it doesn't have the punch of the bigger beers, this is just special. Balanced and drinkable. A classic beer from a brewery that has been doing it right for almost a millennium.

DOA

A: Golden haze, vigorous frothy white head.
S: Bready yeast, with banana & clove.
T: All bananas, spicey malt & a clear tartness.
M: Smooth & silky, but finishes lite.
O: IMO, the best damn Hefeweizen I EVER had! This stuff is true magic and a great credit to the "worlds oldest brewing company." I guess after nearly a thousand years though, it should be expected.

This was *the* best beer I've had in a long time. For me, this ranks as one of those all time greats. The taste is fantastic and the head is constant. Once I took the bottle cap off, it never stopped foaming. It makes for a great party beer, for sure.

Incredibly full bodied, classic malt and yeast spiciness. One of the finest Hefe Weizen beers.

Bottle into a pint. This is one of my favorite beers, if not my favorite. Although the hefeweizen style doesn't offer any over the top, extreme flavors, its all around balance and drinkability is what captivates me.

A- Cloudy, light peach skin in color. Thick, creamy white head that dissipates into a thin skin on the top of the brew. Moderate lacing,

S- Banana nut bread, cloves, wheat. Maybe a little citrus.

T- At first there's some spice mixed with wheat. Then yeasty bananas and cream... finishing with light citrus.

M- Medium to light body. Creamy, with very subtle tingle from carbonation.

D- I could drink this beer alone for the rest of my life. I love it.

I'm planning a Eurotrip to occur in the next few years... one the things on my to do list while I'm over there is try this on tap, if I can't visit the brewery. : )

WOW! I was blown away by this. Had on tap at the Publik House in Brookline. I always knew I liked a good Hefe, but this goes to a whole other level.
What a great pour, Big soft white head,with a orange cloudy color. Big smells of wheat, bread, orange, and other citrus. The taste is even better. Bready with vanilla, cloves and orange accents. Such a smooth crisp feel in the mouth.
This just begs to drink more than one. This has got to be the best in the class for this style!

Outside of the hefeweissbier served at the Andechs Monastery in Munich from their oak barrel, this is the best hefeweissbier you will ever drink. Perfection in a glass. One of my favorite beers of all time. Ayinger's hefeweissbier comes close but Weihenstephaner have mastered the hefeweissbier.

Pours a hazy, golden-hued liquid into a weissbier glass. Head is perfect as not too much and not too little. Lacing is light. Smell is light citrus, bright cloves and subtle malt. Mouthfeel is light on carbonation and alcohol. Taste is a brilliant explosion of malt, bready yeast, clove/banana and delicate sweetness. Finish is smoother than water off a duck's back. No bitterness at all. While most weissbiers lean one way or the other on the sweetness scale, Weihenstepher nails the balance perfectly. One of the best beers in the world.

I don't have to say much. Strait up best hefe out there. It looks great, smells balanced of clove and banana, tastes a-mazing, feels amazing, and you could drink a lot of em. I just had a Paulaner and Ayinger in the spirit of spring, and although I haven't had this in awhile, I know, it's just better than those beers. And those breweries aren't too shabby either! Weihenstephan FTW.

There's a reason this is the highest rated Hefeweizen. It's amazingly balanced. This is my go to beer, especially in the summer.

Drinking one of these after a long rewarding day at work. Mmmm!

Glass: Samuel Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A beautiful hazy yellow amber color. I stirred up the yeast at the bottom before my final pour. Watching the yeast drop down through the beer and slowly mix is one of the best parts of a hefeweizen! If poured aggressively, a huge head appears and sticks around for quite a while. I prefer to give it a gentle pour to keep the head in check (it's still substantial, even with a gentle pour) and keep a bit more of that refreshing carbonation around.

Smell: Bubblegum, RIPE bananas are the major smells here. A bit of breadiness and honey, perhaps. Delicious.

Taste: Just like a good hefeweizen should. This is my favorite hefeweizen that I have tried so far. The initial taste is like that of bubblegum. A bit of banana, but not as much as the smell would suggest. There is a tiny bit of breadiness in there. None of the "Wit" type flavors that found in some hefeweizens, particularly American ones. Very little alcohol noticed, which is to be expected.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with high carbonation. Really refreshing.

Overall: My first perfect 5 beer, and one that will always remain a favorite of mine. Nothing quite beats it as an easy drinking all around tasty beer.

A fantastic beer! And the best thing is... it's easy to find in the US! Very well balanced, complex and delicious. It's perfection in a bottle!

Enjoying now, as I have many times in the past, poured from a bottle into a weizen glass on 7/27/11.

This is the gold standard hefeweizen; the one to which I measure all other hefes (which is, most likely, why I have yet to find another hefe I'm willing to give an A grade to).

A- Wonderful cloudy golden/orange color with rich, white head. The head is aggressive, and unless you pour into your glass in the most delicate possible way, it is going to require settling before you're able to complete the pour (which is totally fine by me--this isn't a beer for slamming/chugging).

S- Wheat, clove/spice, and light banana.

T- Wheat, clove, banana, a bit of butter toffee and bubblegum (but not too much, unlike many other hefes). The flavor is complex with many notes that aren't immediately apparent. I enjoy drinking this slowly because the flavor profile shifts as the beer warms a bit, revealing many of those buried flavors. Yum!

M- Mellow carbonation and a smooth texture. The beer is a pleasure to drink.

O- As the review indicates, this is a beer I have an incredibly high opinion of. I'd go as far as saying that it is my favorite beer of all time. Anyone who is a flavor of the style should give it a shot (especially if you're lucky enough to beer somewhere that has it on tap).

I have to say I thought Samuel Adams was my favorite beers but this one knocks all out of the water. It is such a treat to have.

A-It's got a nice golden look to it.
S-It's got a nice banana smell to it with a little bit of apple.
T- It taste like banana too with a hint of Olive and Bubble gum w/ the hops. (As weird as that may sound it's quite good) it's a little sweet but not too sweet and you still taste beer. It smacks the mouth with flavor.
M-no aftertaste at all and it goes down smooth.
D- It's worth it! It's a treat to have. If any of you find this at a store you must buy it! It is an amazing beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is possibly the best Beer I have ever tasted and I will get another one from the store. It is as I said a treat. I am on a diet sadly and I rarely have a beer to help me drop pounds but, I love a good brew when I can and this is a beer I will love to treat myself to.

Defines the weißbier genre. Best ever.

This is BY FAR the best hefeweizen I've ever tasted and enjoyed as much as I did. Simply amazing.

A: Nice yellow, common to the hefe's

S: Smells like a fresh field of flowers or corn

T: Just like the smell, sooo goood

M: Nice and light, great carbonation

D: I could drink these all day, especially with the price

Appearance: Golden color, but cloudy, cloudy, and cloudy. A thick white bread like head pours out with good retention and minimal glass sticking. There is tons of carbonation, but it is difficult to see for the opaque characteristic of this one.

Smell: grassy/grainy. Smells like fresh wheat bread and some acidity similar to grapes.

Taste: Spicy and fruity. The malts break through the many flavors and are delicious. The beer is a little sour to the tongue and the spice remains as an after flavor. Other flavors I can taste remind me of cedar, vanilla, and apples. Really comes together well to make a nice fruity and complex taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Carbonation plays with the tongue along with a dry/spicy after feel.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite drinking beers. It is well balanced, delicious, and I can drink this as well as any beer. In fact it is so good that I wish I had another bottle as the glass is empty.

Notes: This is the classic Hefe Weizen in my opinion. It is what the style attempts to emulate. I have never had a better hefeweisbier, and doubt I ever will.

What can I say that others haven't? This is Weihenstephaner. If you haven't tried it and are a lover of Weissbier, this is a must.

The appearance is beautiful, great head retention, good carbonation, and a beautiful, pale orange color to the body.

The smell is like sweet bread, overall not overpowering: just like a Weissbier ought to be.

The taste is very similar to the smell, but with light banana and vanilla flavors as well.

The mouthfeel is extremely smooth leaving you wanting more.

There are many Weissbiers in the World today and it still very clear to me why the State of Bavaria chose this Brewery to be their official representation of the style. Absolutely wonderful.

Prost!

Ah yes, the standard Hefeweizen to which all other hefe's are compared. The question becomes, should I review this to style? Or should I review this to my opinion? How do I question the paradigm hefe when it is so established? Well, I'll rate this to style, and of course it will be a perfect score. However, my review will reflect the fact that wheat beers do not appeal to me. Let us begin.

Poured from the bottle into a Weihenstephan hefe glass, complete with the twirl and twist at the end of the pour. Hazy golden hay colored, or perhaps even banana colored when held to the light. Beautiful foamy white head that piles up over the top of the glass. The aromas are of that characteristic wheaty twang, bananas (but much less than what some of my friends describe as "holy cow this smells like banana!"), bit of clove and spice, and a yeasty goodness that wraps up the aromas nicely. The flavors are very much like that of the aromas. A very slight hint of earth in the finish. Well carbonated and light bodied. Makes for a good summer beer.

Now, I must admit that I do not like wheat beers. The wheat twang kills it for me. If I were to rate this to my opinion, it would be 5/3/3/3/3, where my 5 would be given to the presentation of the beer. Take that as you will, I suppose.

Pours a hazy rustic orange with a towering white head. It laces all over the glass and takes quite a while to die down.

Smell is cloves, honey, corriander(I think), banana, pear skin, and apple skin.

Taste is dry and smooth with a touch of sweetness. Nicely attenuated.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Refreshing yet full bodied.

Drinkability is off the charts. This is THE Hefeweizen!

Oh delicious goodness! My bowl of wheaties on the morning off. I drank this wonderful weisse for the first time in Deutchland, but now am giving it the proper review. Poured from a .5l bottle, huge frothy head, great hazy body bubbling in the sunlight. Great aromas of bananas, citrus, yeast, wheats, cloves. Giant taste matches the aromas, great creaminess on the mouthfeel, drinability is an absolute pleasure. The worlds oldest brewery has set the absolute standard in my book. I know "5's" are rare, but as hefe's go, this is it..
Just came back to my old review after so long, but really an exceptionally made Weizen. The flavor, smells, all have been described in detail by other BA's, but what really struck me now is the absloute plush mouthfeel.It really is the epitomy of a Weizen. Cheers

Dang, I think this is he best hefeweizen I have ever drank. It is deliecious and just the smell reminds of brats, kraut, and Germany. As far I can tell, this is as good as i gets.

Appearance: Translucent, hazy orange
Smell: Banana, orange, and green apple
Taste: Orange notes
Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated
Drinkability: A smooth, thirst quenching beer that brings back great memories of the drinking Hefeweizen in Germany or during the Wurstfest in New Braunfels, Texas.

The Bavarian State Brewery Weihenstephan has been brewing beer since 725 A.D. and after 1289 years probably has perfected one of the finest wheat beers in the world.

A golden-yellow wheat beer that pours of a fine white foamy head and emitting a light aroma of clove. When you slather this brew over your caliculus gustatorius (taste buds) this full bodied beer empresses a light banana flavor with a smooth yeast taste. One of my favorite wheat beers and the price is right. Cheaper than most American brewed main-stream beers.
Cheers.