Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros

jomobono, May 14, 2012

Runnaked13, Sep 12, 2014
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jan 02, 2013

fionn13, Jun 04, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -66%

mwar, Dec 02, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -60.8%

I had heard so much about Weihenstephaner that I bought the only style available that I could find in my area and that was the Hefe Weissbier kind. It was a mistake on my part as apparently I do not like this beer.

Poured the beer had a lovely gold color and the head was huge so I was looking forward to drinking this beer. Honestly, the appearance is amazing.

Then I smelled the beer and it actually turned my stomach. I'll give it another chance someday but perhaps I may just have gotten a bad bottle. It has an aroma similar to a overhopped gin bouquet.

Taste has a wheat-orangish lemonish flavor to it. The wheat is overpowering and I definitely didn't enjoy tasting it as I wasn't able to taste very much of the subtler undertones.

The mouthfeel was pretty smooth but the taste and smell both overpowered the mouthfeel so that's why I rated it so low on the mouthfeel as well.

Overall, it was pretty hard for me to drink this beer and I ended up having to pour it down the drain. Such a waste of a beer that's probably exceptional for everybody else.

xare, Sep 26, 2007

Hedonismbott, Jan 12, 2012

treznor, May 06, 2014

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -49%

Ever since I heard of Weihenstephaner, I've been eager to try it. It's only my second hefeweizen after Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss, which I did not enjoy very much. Still eager to develop a taste for the style, I thought I would try a hefeweizen that is generally considered the best in the world. If I don't like this, I may as well give up on the style.

Serving: Undated pint bottle. The label suggests to serve this beer cold, so I got it nice and cool in the coldest part of my fridge before trying it, but made sure not to make it 'ice' cold.

Look: Fantastic. However, I poured a bit too agressively and it produced a giant, frothy, meringue-like head, that settled down eventually but still retained a wonderful shape as it settled down to a reasonable size. Color is a dense golden yellow, without any transparency.

Smell: Up front and center was that same band-aid flavor found in Kellerweiss, and it seemed to dominate-YUCK. On the positive side, there was that sweet malt distinctive to hefeweizens, and possibly the faintest bit of banana.

Taste: Pretty much band-aids and bubble gum. It was difficult to finish.

Feel: Well carbonated, as you could imagine, but almost felt creamy.

Overall: After being disappointed by Kellerweiss, I was willing to give Hefeweizens one more shot with what is arguably the benchmark of the style, but sadly ended up getting disappointed once more. I understand that it is intended for the yeasts to give off a flavor similar to this, and that many other people enjoy it, but it is just not for me, and I think it's only fair for my score to reflect my own experience with the beer. I guess I'm one of those people who are too sensitive to the yeasts/phenols for this kind of beer to be enjoyable. For now I will give up on this style, or maybe try a kristalweizen next.

enjambed, Oct 13, 2014