Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,247 | Reviews: 2,411
3.48/5  rDev -21.1%

After a week stashed in a growler, it’s still a pretty good beer. Cloudy pale yellow has just a tinge of pink in the center of the glass. Very refreshing wheat taste, not only a lemony spritz, but a little Belgian candi sweetness, it seems. Shows a little bit of character beyond the standards for the style.

3.48/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance: It has a hazy orange body with a thick off white head and a lot of lace.

Smell: It has a very sweet melon and bean smell.

Taste: it has a melon and beany taste but unlike the smell there are some roasted malt tones.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a lot of carbonation to the body.

Drinkability: A great summer beer.

3.48/5  rDev -21.1%

Not really seeing what is so phenomenal about this brew.
I tried it once and was not impressed (although it was after having a Duvel, so I thought I owed it another chance).

Still, same thing here. Looks good, smells like a pretty standard hefeweizen, good body, but the taste just isn't there. It seems to me to be rather one-dimensional.

3.48/5  rDev -21.1%

Very good for a Hefeweizen that has had to travel a long way.Pours with a huge creamy white head that lasts pretty well. Color is a hazy yellow with a little orange. Aroma is sweet wheat, banana, a little citrus, light smokey phenolics, apricot and honey. Flavor is a bit weak and neutral, but not unpleasant. Standard hefe stuff. Sweet, vanilla, clove banana. Lively carbonation. A pretty tasty hefeweizen, but I would imagine it would be better closer to the source.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Who knew hot dog juice could taste so good? This is the one beer where my wife has to make apologies and not me. I don’t get this beer and she swears by it. Taste funky to me. The ONLY thing that keeps the rating high is that NOTHING tastes like this. She just got a sixer of it so it’s freah and it tastes like it always does. Hot dog watery. I’ll concede it still tastes "good" but then I like hot dogs. Just not something I could drink a lot of.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color weisse with a big foamy head with medium retention and no lacing. Aroma of banana and cloves is quite present. Taste is a mix between some banana and cloves ester and some sweet malt. Body is full with loads of lees and minimal filtration and some good carbonation. Not exactly what I was expecting and a bit darker then expected on the appearance side. It is too bad the bottles are not dated since I believe this may have been an older bottle. I will be adding this one to the need to re-rate list.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Originally sampled 29 May 2002. A very nice German wheat beer. It's aroma has some banana in it. It wasn't too crisp, but it was easy drinking. I found it to be very enjoyable, although I would have preferred a bit more crispness, it's a pretty decent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Subpar compared to the excellent Dunkel.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Dense, espreso-esque 1" foam; bright white head that settles to a creamy sheet after a few moments. Two toned in color: deep, dark camel and hazy dark straw. Spotted patches of lace.

Moderate malted oat sweetness; a hint of lemon zest with a toch of diacetyl. Some pepper added to the primary, lightly sweetened grain aroma.

An initial burst of clean citric flavor accompanied by a mildly sweet toasted oat and malt character. Along with a wave of carbonation is a hint of pepper giving this hefe a touch of spice to balance its sweetness. The aftertaste brings to mind sour lemons.

Light bodied; balanced in terms of sweet & mellow and peppered-spice; but, flavorwise, ais a bit out of synch.

A sweeter and more mellow take on the style. Not one I'd go searching for, but not too shabby.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

While I am not a fan of wheat beer to begin with, I must say that I had better of this style. Still, drinkable and refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Cloudy pale golden color with a big white head. Smooth, malty, banana flavored beer. Aromas of must, funk, yeast. Light bodied, refreshing flavors. Mainly fruit with some bitter hoppiness towards the end.

3.51/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good beer to tacos

3.52/5  rDev -20.2%

This color is hazy yellow, a bit to the darker side. Nice foamy head that unfortunately settles quickly and leaves little lazing. It smells fresh and fruity. The taste is also very fresh and fruity and quite sweet, but I dont really like it fully, it's good but it doesn't really float my boat. The carbonation is lying on the border of medium to light. This is quite a good beer though even though it's not one of my favourite types of beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally I found this. I had heard so much about it here and elsewhere as the undisputed champ of hefes. So there it was at the bar out of nowhere and I pounced on it. Hmm. Well, it was fine, but... I don't get all the crazy praise for it. It was good but didn't do much more for me than other hefes, which I'm starting to have my doubts about. I'm wondering if the style is a narrow one, in which the differences between different offerings are small. If you served this to me I'd be happy enough, but rather than buy it again I'd rather explore other untried options. I will say it had a very pretty snowy white head. Seems like a good example of the style but I was let down that it wasn't crazy turbo good like the hype suggested. Or maybe I'm just not a hefe guy.

500mL bottle, with a bottle code of 5430, which is unclear what it means

appears a hazy golden straw color with big foamy bone-white head. strong aroma of herbal spiciness. clove and banana like usual for the style, but not personally that appealing to me.

luckily the banana-like flavors that i find off-putting are not as strong in the taste. body is fairly thin, fizzy carbonation.

I know this beer is the standard for the style, but it's just not for me. I'll stick to the Dunkel version and the Korbinian.

3.53/5  rDev -20%

A: Cloudy amber, huge white head.

S: Clove, banana sweets, yeast, citric fruits.

T: Clove, banan sweets, yeast. Not much carbonation so the taste dies out in comparison to other hefeweizen. "Orangey" bitternes as aftertaste.

O: Must have been a bad bottle since I can rember I've tested this one with more carbonation.

3.54/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: Pours a murkey orange/apricot color with a full fluffy white head.

Smell: The aroma is full of bananas and wheat, with a bonus of melon.

Taste: Bananas again and the very heavy wheat taste complete the taste.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than other hefeweizen's I've tried, and is aided by a hint of alcohol on the swallow.

Drinkability: It's quite drinkable for the style, and on a hot day, but overall I'm not too impressed and would rather spend my money on a new beer than having this one again.

3.55/5  rDev -19.5%

Many fans of wheat beer consider Weihenstephan's Hefe Weissbier to be the #1 wheat beer in the world. Is it a good wheat beer? Why, certainly. The best in the world? Hmmm...

This brew pours a hazy yellowish-gold color with an orange hue. A decent foamy head forms and lasts for about 2 minutes. The aroma is mostly of bananas, with some wheaty notes and mild spices present. The beer feels moderately carbonated, which is a bit typical for the style. I would have to say the most dominant flavor is the fruity/banana presence, although there is a nice wheaty "twang" and some very pleasant toasted wheat flavors present in the brew. The classic "hefe clove" flavors were a bit low in my opinion and were almost absent. There is a low moderate dryness in the finish, which carries over into the aftertaste along with some more wheaty flavors. The brew concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

This is a pleasant drink and very refreshing, but I expected a bit more from a beer that is held in such a high regard. Perhaps I expected it to be a bit more complex, but in the end this was a bit more forgettable than I thought it would be. A good, above average hefeweizen.

look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough, or I'm just too accustomed to American beers, but I did not like this beer much (Don't hit me!)

Definitely could tell it was an ancient recipe. I loved the look of it - had a nice dark to light gradient, and feel was solid - nice medium body, but the taste and smell was not pleasing to me. Had a weird barley, bacterial taste.

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

It pours out a nice cloudy gold like a wheat beer should with a white-cream colored head about one and a half to two inches thick. It stays for quite a while. It has a very thick lacing as the head dissipates over time.

There's a banana yeast smell over everything, almost like a banana nut bread without the nutmeg. I think they'd go great together.

The taste wasn't too far from the smell, banana and yeast with a bit of citrus and maybe some spices.

It has a very substantial feel to it, nice.

Personaly, I prefer wheat beer to have more of a citrus taste to it, but this isn't too bad, I could drink one once in a while for a change.

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

500 mL bottle. Pours a murky dark yellow with a decent two-finger white head. Fairly high carbonation. Nose of yeast, bananas, orange peel, lemon zest- standard wheat beer. Taste brings out some cloves and citrus tartness. Fairly light bodied but excellent. Nice dry finish. Inferior to New Glarus hefeweizens. 12/7/2008 7/4/7/4/14=3.6

3.59/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Just a normal hefeweizen beer, I really don't get why people love it.

3.59/5  rDev -18.6%

Big off-white head that died down a few minutes after the pour. I was able to perceive very little aroma. The taste was mildly banana, but I was also getting a little vanilla? I think most people could drink quite a lot of this beer. To me, I spoke "light". Another of the great, highly rated beers that I thought was just OK.

3.59/5  rDev -18.6%

out of the bottle in wheat beer glass

A: beautiful, murky orange gets better clarity as it moves towards the bottom of the glass.
S:mild tartness, wheat (obviously) very pleasant
T: okay, very prominent banana, mild hint of cloves, a tinge of citrus and or lemon/orange
M:abysmal (if not consumed icecold, otherwise not problematic), too many soft notes, not sharp enough, flattens and kills the flavor of the beer, have this as cold as possible anything above freezing makes it taste flat
O:okay, this beer is very dependent on method of delivery and temperature.

3.59/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottle poured into a glass.

A: A cloudy yellow with a thick, white moussy head.

S: A much more subdued version of the taste.

T: Bubble gum notes coming from the blending of the phenolic and fruity esters. Phenols are not spicy or overtly clovey. The banana notes are present but subdued.

M: A soft mouthfeel with good carbonation tingle. Not as effervescent as I would hope from a hefeweizen.

Notes: According to Charlie from Five Points, this is the best hefeweizen in the world. It is good, to be sure, but there should have been more effevescent. Refreshing none the less.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan