Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,381 | Hads: 7,580
3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Who knew hot dog juice could taste so good? This is the one beer where my wife has to make apologies and not me. I don’t get this beer and she swears by it. Taste funky to me. The ONLY thing that keeps the rating high is that NOTHING tastes like this. She just got a sixer of it so it’s freah and it tastes like it always does. Hot dog watery. I’ll concede it still tastes "good" but then I like hot dogs. Just not something I could drink a lot of.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color weisse with a big foamy head with medium retention and no lacing. Aroma of banana and cloves is quite present. Taste is a mix between some banana and cloves ester and some sweet malt. Body is full with loads of lees and minimal filtration and some good carbonation. Not exactly what I was expecting and a bit darker then expected on the appearance side. It is too bad the bottles are not dated since I believe this may have been an older bottle. I will be adding this one to the need to re-rate list.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Originally sampled 29 May 2002. A very nice German wheat beer. It's aroma has some banana in it. It wasn't too crisp, but it was easy drinking. I found it to be very enjoyable, although I would have preferred a bit more crispness, it's a pretty decent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Dense, espreso-esque 1" foam; bright white head that settles to a creamy sheet after a few moments. Two toned in color: deep, dark camel and hazy dark straw. Spotted patches of lace.

Moderate malted oat sweetness; a hint of lemon zest with a toch of diacetyl. Some pepper added to the primary, lightly sweetened grain aroma.

An initial burst of clean citric flavor accompanied by a mildly sweet toasted oat and malt character. Along with a wave of carbonation is a hint of pepper giving this hefe a touch of spice to balance its sweetness. The aftertaste brings to mind sour lemons.

Light bodied; balanced in terms of sweet & mellow and peppered-spice; but, flavorwise, ais a bit out of synch.

A sweeter and more mellow take on the style. Not one I'd go searching for, but not too shabby.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

While I am not a fan of wheat beer to begin with, I must say that I still had better of this style. At least it is drinkable and refreshing on a summer day.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Cloudy pale golden color with a big white head. Smooth, malty, banana flavored beer. Aromas of must, funk, yeast. Light bodied, refreshing flavors. Mainly fruit with some bitter hoppiness towards the end.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

I have grown out of this style, but I really enjoyed this beer for a while in 2012-2013. Just a great drinking beer that is super smooth and easy to drink.

3.52/5  rDev -20%

This color is hazy yellow, a bit to the darker side. Nice foamy head that unfortunately settles quickly and leaves little lazing. It smells fresh and fruity. The taste is also very fresh and fruity and quite sweet, but I dont really like it fully, it's good but it doesn't really float my boat. The carbonation is lying on the border of medium to light. This is quite a good beer though even though it's not one of my favourite types of beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally I found this. I had heard so much about it here and elsewhere as the undisputed champ of hefes. So there it was at the bar out of nowhere and I pounced on it. Hmm. Well, it was fine, but... I don't get all the crazy praise for it. It was good but didn't do much more for me than other hefes, which I'm starting to have my doubts about. I'm wondering if the style is a narrow one, in which the differences between different offerings are small. If you served this to me I'd be happy enough, but rather than buy it again I'd rather explore other untried options. I will say it had a very pretty snowy white head. Seems like a good example of the style but I was let down that it wasn't crazy turbo good like the hype suggested. Or maybe I'm just not a hefe guy.

500mL bottle, with a bottle code of 5430, which is unclear what it means

appears a hazy golden straw color with big foamy bone-white head. strong aroma of herbal spiciness. clove and banana like usual for the style, but not personally that appealing to me.

luckily the banana-like flavors that i find off-putting are not as strong in the taste. body is fairly thin, fizzy carbonation.

I know this beer is the standard for the style, but it's just not for me. I'll stick to the Dunkel version and the Korbinian.

3.53/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Cloudy amber, huge white head.

S: Clove, banana sweets, yeast, citric fruits.

T: Clove, banan sweets, yeast. Not much carbonation so the taste dies out in comparison to other hefeweizen. "Orangey" bitternes as aftertaste.

O: Must have been a bad bottle since I can rember I've tested this one with more carbonation.

3.54/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Pours a murkey orange/apricot color with a full fluffy white head.

Smell: The aroma is full of bananas and wheat, with a bonus of melon.

Taste: Bananas again and the very heavy wheat taste complete the taste.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than other hefeweizen's I've tried, and is aided by a hint of alcohol on the swallow.

Drinkability: It's quite drinkable for the style, and on a hot day, but overall I'm not too impressed and would rather spend my money on a new beer than having this one again.

3.55/5  rDev -19.3%

Many fans of wheat beer consider Weihenstephan's Hefe Weissbier to be the #1 wheat beer in the world. Is it a good wheat beer? Why, certainly. The best in the world? Hmmm...

This brew pours a hazy yellowish-gold color with an orange hue. A decent foamy head forms and lasts for about 2 minutes. The aroma is mostly of bananas, with some wheaty notes and mild spices present. The beer feels moderately carbonated, which is a bit typical for the style. I would have to say the most dominant flavor is the fruity/banana presence, although there is a nice wheaty "twang" and some very pleasant toasted wheat flavors present in the brew. The classic "hefe clove" flavors were a bit low in my opinion and were almost absent. There is a low moderate dryness in the finish, which carries over into the aftertaste along with some more wheaty flavors. The brew concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

This is a pleasant drink and very refreshing, but I expected a bit more from a beer that is held in such a high regard. Perhaps I expected it to be a bit more complex, but in the end this was a bit more forgettable than I thought it would be. A good, above average hefeweizen.

look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough, or I'm just too accustomed to American beers, but I did not like this beer much (Don't hit me!)

Definitely could tell it was an ancient recipe. I loved the look of it - had a nice dark to light gradient, and feel was solid - nice medium body, but the taste and smell was not pleasing to me. Had a weird barley, bacterial taste.

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

It pours out a nice cloudy gold like a wheat beer should with a white-cream colored head about one and a half to two inches thick. It stays for quite a while. It has a very thick lacing as the head dissipates over time.

There's a banana yeast smell over everything, almost like a banana nut bread without the nutmeg. I think they'd go great together.

The taste wasn't too far from the smell, banana and yeast with a bit of citrus and maybe some spices.

It has a very substantial feel to it, nice.

Personaly, I prefer wheat beer to have more of a citrus taste to it, but this isn't too bad, I could drink one once in a while for a change.

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

500 mL bottle. Pours a murky dark yellow with a decent two-finger white head. Fairly high carbonation. Nose of yeast, bananas, orange peel, lemon zest- standard wheat beer. Taste brings out some cloves and citrus tartness. Fairly light bodied but excellent. Nice dry finish. Inferior to New Glarus hefeweizens. 12/7/2008 7/4/7/4/14=3.6

3.59/5  rDev -18.4%

Big off-white head that died down a few minutes after the pour. I was able to perceive very little aroma. The taste was mildly banana, but I was also getting a little vanilla? I think most people could drink quite a lot of this beer. To me, I spoke "light". Another of the great, highly rated beers that I thought was just OK.

3.59/5  rDev -18.4%

out of the bottle in wheat beer glass

A: beautiful, murky orange gets better clarity as it moves towards the bottom of the glass.
S:mild tartness, wheat (obviously) very pleasant
T: okay, very prominent banana, mild hint of cloves, a tinge of citrus and or lemon/orange
M:abysmal (if not consumed icecold, otherwise not problematic), too many soft notes, not sharp enough, flattens and kills the flavor of the beer, have this as cold as possible anything above freezing makes it taste flat
O:okay, this beer is very dependent on method of delivery and temperature.

3.59/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle poured into a glass.

A: A cloudy yellow with a thick, white moussy head.

S: A much more subdued version of the taste.

T: Bubble gum notes coming from the blending of the phenolic and fruity esters. Phenols are not spicy or overtly clovey. The banana notes are present but subdued.

M: A soft mouthfeel with good carbonation tingle. Not as effervescent as I would hope from a hefeweizen.

Notes: According to Charlie from Five Points, this is the best hefeweizen in the world. It is good, to be sure, but there should have been more effevescent. Refreshing none the less.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just tasted this beer after an Ettaler Helles Weizen. The main difference was the milder taste and smell of the Wiehenstephaner.
Colour was orange and murky, with a very stabile head.
Smell was slightly phenolic and clear wheat smell, fresh
Taste slightly banana, cloves, lots of carbonation, fresh, with a dry aftertaste.
Being a classic amongst the Weizen beers, I found this one to be a bit bland, but nevertheless a good beer.

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%

500mL bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. Pours a perfect wheat beer pour - light cloudy gold with a nice head. Nice aroma - more on the yeasty side than the banana side. The taste follow suit. A bit light, more focus on the yeast and wheat, less on the banana and clove. Some light spiciness associated with the yeast. Overall, slightly on the light side - or have my tastebuds been fried by too many weizenbocks?

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsener glass.

Look - light amber color, clear, with good carbonation and about three fingers' worth of off-tan colored foam that dissipates fairly slowly.

Smell - very sweet and malty, with not much of a hop presence, but very much of a wheat-like presence.

Taste - right away the wheat makes itself known. It very much does indeed remind me of Bavarian beers in general. The banana flavor is pretty prominent. Quite well on the sweet side, with no bitterness.

Mouthfeel - pretty well balanced, but leans a little more on the watery side.

Overall - Not a bad tasting brew at all, and it's a good representative of the style.

3.61/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pale golden orange with a nice big frothy white head. Very nice looking..

Aroma- Cloves, faint citus and bananas

Taste- CLOVES, a little banana, a little sweetness... cloves... wait a little bit more clove.

Feel- Nice and smooth, with high carbonation.

It's something I wouldn't drink a lot of... If the clove flavor wasn't so upfront I would like it more.

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a rich deep tan color, with a little head. I could smell the fruitiness, a bannana type smell. It had a strong hefe taste that lasted after you swallowed. The aftertaste had hints of fruit flavorng but not overpowering, subtle but present. The mouthfeel presented as heavy with that fruitiness present.
This was shown to me by a clerk at the liqour store and I can see why. This is a good hefe weizen that has a strong flavor that does not over power the drinker. It's apperance, smell and taste are all solid in nature but never overpowering or overwhelming. I would definitely drink this again.

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%

A hazy orange and gold and puffy head with decent retention.

Smells of spice, cloves and just hints of citrus.

A little bready but mostly sweet like an orange and distinctly banana. Not cough medicine sweet but honey with a coriander and citrus. Again cloves stand out but I didn't find it as spicy as others have put down, maybe a tinge of pepper. Comes off as very well balanced summer brew.

I wouldn't call it sharp, almost creamy as a full-bodied beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan