Join our email list →

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Hefeweizen | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,409 | Hads: 7,714
4.97/5  rDev +13%

LOOKS: Hazy dark golden with 3+ fingers of creamy off white head. It sticks around for a while and leaves a pretty nice lacing down the glass. Loads of carbonation streaming up the glass.
AROMA: Fresh cut grass, loads of banana bread, & cloves. That is what you expect, that is what you get.
TASTE: Just like aroma, great bready quality.
FEEL: Ultra smooth. Absolutely nothing harsh about this beer. Soft on the palate. Perfect level of carbonation, not overkill. Dries up nicely on finish, a little slick up front.
OVERALL: I just haven't had a smoother, more flavorful Hefe than this. It tastes very natural, like nothing is being forced to bring this beer together.

Probably my favorite beer or at least in the top 3. This is exactly what I want in a hefe. Its refreshing, crisp, and quenches your thirst.
The brewery is the oldest in the world- for good reason. This beer is the definition of a hefe.

Perfect 10/10. This is not "an" example of Hefe Weißbier, it is THE example. Complex, infinitely refreshing, historically accurate and simply marvelous in every way. An absolute must have for any beer enthusiast, esepecially Bavarian varietals.

4.53/5  rDev +3%

first beer i had that made me think: "wow beer can be for taste not just to get drunk"
taste is subtle but it lingers in the back of my throat for like 18 hours

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured into a hefeweizen glass, this beer has a beautiful fluffy white head that remains until your last sip. It has a wonderful straw gold color near the head that fades into a more vibrant yellow near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I got a lemon-y smell mixed with a fruit that I couldn't immediately identify. Some notes of bread. (I'll be honest, my sense of smell isn't very developed yet)

Taste: Excellent. I was finally able to identify where the smell of the beer was coming from: bananas. It had the taste of bananas mixed with sort of an upfront lemon flavor. The aftertaste leaves that banana flavor on your tongue with just a touch of bitterness, enough to let you know that your just drank a beer. I gave this to a friend of mine who isn't really into beer to try and this is the only thing he's had so far that he likes. Extra props for that.

Feel: It feels really smooth to drink, with I'd say a medium amount of carbonation. You're going to be burping a bit from drinking this beer. You get a medium-light mouth-feel from it and there's just this great refreshing coolness to it.

Overall: Just a great beer, first I've had of the style. Really makes me want to go out and try more hefeweizens! Very deserving of a world-class ranking.

This beer defines it's style. Delicious, affordable, and available.
World class beer, from the world's oldest brewer.
If you haven't tried it, you should not post another review until you do.

4.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass.
Appearance: Golden yellow with hue of orange. Head is mild in size and white.
Smell: Very pleasant mixture of banana and citrus.
Taste: The classic clean hefeweissbier flavor plus a perfect mixture of citrus and banana. There is a very mildly bitter, but pleasant, aftertaste. Absolutely sublime.
Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation, yet this beer goes down very easily.
Overall. Quite simply, this is a superb beer. Anyone who is a fan of the hefeweiss style needs to try this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

smell is very sweet lots of banana.
Taste banana nutmeg a fruity sweetness lemon in the aftertaste
Overall: it's an awesome beer that you need to try if you like this style probably the best beer in this style.

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on draft 1/29/16 at the Maybank Public House on James Island, and enjoyed it very much. It was served in the traditional tall hefe style glass, and had a nice cloudy creamy look to it. The smell was somewhat fruity with banana and a little clove. Taste was great, and spot on for its style. If you like hefe's, you cant go wrong with this.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am glad to see some lighter beers on the Top Beers list. This is a world class hefe from the world's oldest brewery that was established almost a millenium ago in 1040. I had a glass on 1/29/16. Very crisp and clean with some clove notes at the finish. Absolutely fantastic.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle bought for $5.90 poured into a pint glass

Look: Cloudy golden straw, large amount of carbonation visible, initial three finger head dissipates into strong lacing.

Smell: Initial sweetness with hint of banana like herb, slightly yeasty.

Taste: Almost exactly the same as the smell, bubblegum sweetness with herb-y, banana/clove.

Feel: Silken, medium thickness, extremely carbonated.

Overall: Great beer, not one for a solid drinking sesh, but perfect for one beer after work, or relaxing on the weekend.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

The Hefe by which all others should be judged. Excellent on tap. I usually drink IPA - but break my style selection for this authentic German wheat beer that tastes like nothing else. Love it.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Orange gold in a big glass!
S: Citrus, slight hops, some earthy malt sweetness
T: Bubble gum, clove, nutmeg, banana-esq, apple
F: Thick and fluffy
O: Liquid gold

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Let me just start this review by saying that I have had Weihenstephaner many times before, and that it is one of my all time favourite beers, and my all time favourite Hefeweizen. Weihenstephaner is the beer that introduced me to a world beyond macros.

Appearance: One of the most appetizing beers I've ever seen. A pale, orange/gold like colour with about two and a half fingers of extremely creamy head. The beer is extremely cloudy, as sediment blocks almost all light from getting through. Gorgeous lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can't get over how clean and refreshing this beer smells. Absolutely incredible, and easily in the top five beers I've had in regards to the aroma. A floral like aroma filled with banana bread and spices. Pepper is also present. You have to smell this beer for yourself to get a full appreciation of how good it is.

Taste: Absolutely world class. I anxiously await the time that I find a hefe better than this one. Bananas on the forefront with cloves, pepper and bubble gum. A sweet, bready taste is also prominent on the back end.

feel: Again, world class. Medium mouth feel with an almost tangy medium carbonation. Despite the medium body, extremely refreshing.

I can't stop raving about this beer. Whenever I have a friend that wants to try something a little better than Miller or Coors, I pick up a couple of these. One of the tastiest, easiest drinking beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I can not recommend this beer enough if you haven't had it.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

If there is a better Weißbier out of the bottle I have yet to meet it. I bet this is great on tap too. Only thing I will add to last few reviews is that the feel of this beer reminds me of a nice soft pillow of creamy wheat. By no means a dessert beer, just the best mouth feel I have ever experienced. Can see why this is held in such regard. I am glad I woke up and have started to give these Bavarian Weißbiers the attention they deserve.

4.51/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look - Cloudy/hazy pale to light golden color. Beautiful fluffy white head
Smell - Clove, spice, fruity/banana notes, bubblegum
Taste - Follows the nose. Fruity, banana, wheat, clove, spice, lemony type citrus, fresh bread

Overall - Above and far beyond any hefeweizen I've had or probably ever will have. Such a treat. Goes down as smooth as can be.

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This is a beer that came out of nowhere and impressed me. It was actually the replacement for another wheaty beer I wanted to try (leffe blonde ale), so I wasnt expecting much. The bar tender seemed disapointed to tell me this all they had when I asked for lighter wheat beer.
"Bananas, cloves" he warned. I dove right in with a pint after only a taste. Wow. So impressed. It was exactly that. Had that signature Belgium sweet with surprising banana/fruit aftertaste. The look is average. Golden yellow could with some fizz. Stays fizzed for a while though. Feels smooth and mellow going down (what I love). The smell is not powerful. Its really quite unassuming until you get your nose up in there. I would reccomend this beer to anyone who is really involved in the taste. It cant be beat as far as im concerned. Sweet, smooth, fruity, drinkable. Love it.

4.51/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this one half from the glass, half from the bottle. Quintessentially hefe. The aromas of clove and banana bread linger in the nostrils as the flavor of bubblegum joins in on the palate. The gorgeously hazy glow shimmers through even the plainest of glasses, which I was using. More that just worth a try.

4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 0.5 L bottle into a Weihenstephaner wheat beer glass. Bottled on code is 0335 (10th Aug 2015 if I decoded correctly).

Look -- A gentle pour gives three fingers of creamy white head sitting atop a hazy pale gold body. Minimal lacing as the head just slides right back down the glass as you sip.

Smell -- Clove, banana, and bubblegum atop bready wheat notes. Yeast and apricot notes are also present in the background.

Taste -- Taste like it smells.

Feel -- Lively carbonation combine with a thick body to create a creamy mouthfeel.

Overall -- You'll be hard pressed to find a better hefeweizen.

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

notes from Sept 2011 - "pretty good" - I'd drink this all day. Nice color. I love these style beers, so I'm easily impressed. Had at the Bronx Ale House.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Looks beautiful. Pours a hazy, late summer afternoon golden yellow with three fingers of whipped eggwhite head that leaves a solid foothill landscape of lace as it recedes.

Smells of clove, banana chips, faint bubblegum and lemon zest.

Tastes of white bread, more clove and dry banana, lemonade, light crisp apple and faint white pepper.

Feels lovely. Body is medium-light with fuzzy, relaxing carbonation. Finishes clean, dry and refreshing.

Verdict: Vigorously recommended. Believe everything you've heard.

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours in orange color with about 1 finger of frothy white head. Aromas of banana, bubblegum, clove, cinnamon, yeast. Taste is similar with banana, clove, and a very yeasty finish. Mouthfeel is light, very carbonated, and refreshing.

A classic German Hefe that is true to style.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My fridge is stuffed with all manner of IPAs, stouts, porters, pale ales, barrel aged offerings and the rest...but this is the only hefeweizen you'll find in there. The best. World class. Delicious, beautiful, clean, crisp and easy to drink. It's a damn near perfect style representation - banana, cloves, nut, malt, wheat, apricot and some peach. Surprisingly affordable and available. Lucky for us!

3.77/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wondering if I got an old bottle, good beer but not great. I was expecting great. Poured into a pint, cloudy yellow color with thin head and light lacing. Smell was subdued but floral. Taste was again more subdued than expected, faintly of cloves and banana. I will need to try it again, but buy a bottle at another store.

4.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-This beer has a nice hazy golden color. The head is about 2 inches at pour and settles at about half an inch. Decent head retention with minimal lacing. This is a great looking beer and filled out my weizen glass perfectly!

S-Smell is very yeasty with hints of citrus and orange peel.

T-Perfect example of what hefeweizen beer should be. Balanced with a solid citrus note and mild sweetness. Great spice flavor on the back end with a barely noticeable bitterness. The finish is refreshing and clean. I love the lingering spices on the palate.

M-Lots of carbonation in a good way with a medium body. Easy to drink beer.

O-I am a big fan of hefeweizen beers. For my money it doesn't get much better than this one. Definitely my go-to on a hot summer day or when I just want a beer without thinking too much about it.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan