Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,330 | Hads: 7,310
4.61/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Man, what a beer. This is one that presents something new with each sip. I definitely found on tap to be a much more pleasing experience, but I think the bottles I've had may have been a bit elderly. (199 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was a bit concerned at first because it smelled as if it might be a bit skunky, but fortunately that wasn't the case. Very light and relaxed flavor with an aftertaste that should lend itself to a cheesy dish. Very nice. (223 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

500 mL bottle poured into a hefeweizen glass. The aroma is a mellow, creamy banana and vanilla with a complimentary clove and some subtle undertones of peaches. The beer is a cloudy pale with a hint of gold to it, and is topped by a creamy and frothy white head that retains well and leaves a light lace. The taste is a mellow and mild medium sweet with medium low bitterness. A creamy texture and carbonation go down smooth and easy with a medium body containing notes of fresh baked bread, banana, orange, vanilla, and a light woody clove spice that finishes clean with a lightly bitter clove and citrus zip and crispness that mellows quickly and turns over to a light oranges and nila wafers combination which stick in the aftertaste with a touch of lemon, and a lactose hint. Quite delightful. (797 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +9.1%

We love this beer and just bought another case of it. Smooth taste, fun to drink it through the foam head, light wheat taste with hints of citrus. Low alcohol content makes it a good addition to lunch or dinner meal. Not too filling and leaves a great after taste.

This is our favorite beer. Started drinking in Munich and have not stopped. (341 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nectar of the Gods. This gets bought in 6-packs. Peppery and not overly bubbly, this really goes down a treat with pork roast. These guys have been brewing for about 6 million years and it shows. World Class. (208 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a murky, golden-yellow color with a white foamy head. Glows a beautiful, radiant golden color when light shines through. Great retention. Little to no lacing.

Aroma contains a strong scent of lemon rind, grassiness, and yeast. Reminiscent of fresh grass clippings on a hot summer day.

Taste is refreshing. Subtle lemon notes and orange zest. A perfect amount of yeast--doesn't dominate but it very present. Hint of bubblegum. Some nice sweet, tartness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Extremely crisp and refreshing. Quite possibly the most drinkable beer I've ever had. I could've chugged this pint in no time.

Overall, Hefes are typically towards the bottom of my favorites list, but this one did quite a bit to change that. Definitely the best Hefe I've ever had, and one of the better beers I've ever had, period. Great beer, one that even a newbie to craft beer could appreciate, or even a craft veteran. Great for anyone, on any occasion. (967 characters)

This is more of what I'm used to in regard to a Hefeweizen (as opposed to Schlafly's Hefeweizen). I think I'm still a little more partial to the "American Wheat" style that most people seem to consider Schlafly's Hefeweizen to be, but this is still probably one of the best of the style. (288 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A solid beer...pretty complex amount of flavors. Fairly earthy, some spice, banana. Takes a little adjusting if you aren't used to the style. Worth the try! (156 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Nice frothy head, wonderful taste. This is the kind of Beer that you have to force your self NOT to drain the entire glass upon the first taste. This is my first time trying Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, and I am in Love. I actually said to my wife, "This is the best beer that I have ever put in my mouth!" I would recommend it to anyone who wants to taste a truly great Beer. (381 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy straw yellow color with thick, frothy head. Head is retained pretty well. Smells of wheat, bubblegum, and a little banana. Taste follows the nose; bananas, wheat, also biscuity. The mouthfeel is lacking a bit for me. A little too carbonated for my liking and also a bit watery thin, the chewy/stickyness saves it though. Overall a great representation of the style and very delicious but I don't think it's the best one out there. (444 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Truly one of the most delicious wheat beers I have ever had. This beer is a cloudy yellow-orange that looks awesome in the right light. I get banana, clove, and bread on the nose, as is typical with most beers of this style. Nicely done here but still fairly standard. The taste is where this beer really shines. There's a lot going on with Weihenstephaner, and in my opinion, it actually tastes better if you drink it just barely cool or closer to room temperature than really cold. I pick up on banana, clove, vanilla, bread, and slight bubblegum emphasized by the carbonation. The mouthfeel is great as well. Pretty creamy and smooth.

As a matter of personal preference, I might like Franziskaner a little more (perhaps b.c of its slightly creamier mouthfeel). To be fair though, I've never had Weihen on tap, and that's where Franziskaner really excels. Either way, I would say Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner are my two favorites of this style. Both fantastic beers! (975 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Everything about this beer (bier?) is phenomenal, particularly the taste, which is worth the most. I've been missing out for years, but I'll know to buy Hefe Weissbier from here on out. I had to create an account just to rate this beer. It pours like any champion beer and goes down easily with a great taste. Their experience really proves itself once you taste it. (366 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Lovely, a real grower. The first pour I thought yes you may have already lived up to your crazy rating. I bought this for a reasonable price in Forestside Sainsburys N. Ireland and pleaded please live up to your high reputation.

What a lovely body then a nice fresh floral smell that actually smells good, not how Outcast would say roses smell like. The smell for me is not heavily pronounced, light actually for a hefe.

I had my first, enjoyed it like any hefe lover only could but didn't find anything special. I had a very nice dunkel, then another of these then an Erdinger Urwiesse which was nice then another of these and at that moment realised how good this this is. It could literally follow ANY beer any still be great. The last few sips of this beer is where it really comes into its own. Chewy, tasty, clove like and very little banana. I prefer a little more of a wheat feel and taste and probably a little more carbonation. (939 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is one awesome beer. Nothing better in the warm weather. This is a standard Heffe in style, but it wins on every level. The aroma is strong with the cloves sneaking in first, followed by the banana. The taste lingers heartily and stays pretty constant. A must try considering its widespread availability. (314 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - hazy straw coloured in the glass with a dense foam which left good lacing. S - notes of banana and a little clove. Scent has some vapour edge which seemed to go up the nose but not unpleasant. T - the clove flavour of the yeast really dominates for me but surprisingly I didn't mind it. I prefer it to the overly banana flavours of some Hefeweizen. M. - nice carbonation with the light body making it very refreshing. O - I'm not the biggest fan of Hefeweizen beers but quite liked this. The clove flavour might be a bit much after a couple but it was very refreshing on a hot day. If I was having a Hefeweizen I would be happy to have this. (645 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -6.8%

This is just the best looking beer ever. I am floored by the fact that this is a standard brew in Germany... what a treat. This brew, and style, shows that not everything has to be a huge hop bomb or puckering stout. Just clean, fresh deliciousness! (249 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a large bottle into a German beer stein, to be authentic.

A lovely straw yellow hue, with a crazy thick head that sticks around for an extended period of time. Lots of little bubbles rising throughout. Smells yeasty and of biscuit. Tastes refreshing, with tons of banana and biscuity flavor, little notes of spice as well. A tremendous, refreshing hefe; one of the pillars of the style, clearly. (408 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%

Simply the best Hefe I've ever had. The standard by which all others are judged. Enjoyed many times over the years in various glasses. Always a pleasant pour with a frothy head. Rich mouth feel with medium to light carbonation. Notes of banana and spice. (254 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's a great beer. It poured beautifully, had notes of ripen bananas and fruity esters. Very easy to drink and light-bodied. It seems to be missing that subtle peppery bite that I look for in a hefeweizen. It doesn't compare to New Glarus Dancing Man - which has set the bar really high. It might be that this beer is not fresh. Could not find the bottle date and bought this off a shelf at room temp. I have no doubt that drinking this straight from the source or from a fresh bottle would leave this beer tasting much better than now. I will take the next opportunity to try this beer again when I find it refrigerated. (621 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not sure I understand the fascination with this beer. I'm not a hop snob and appreciate Czech and German pilsners and lagers and enjoy Hefe Weisbiers as well. Who knows ? Maybe the main streamers who put a lemon wedge in this stuff are right. Think it would help. (263 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%

I can't deny how good this is. They hit it right. Perfect amount of carbonation and perfect amount of banana flavors. The only thing I can say is that the smell gets a 4 but who cares about that. Everything else is a 5. I still enjoy many other hefeweizens but this one truly is that extra bit better than all the others I have had. Fantastic beer. (348 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Purchased 500 ml bottle from the health food store for about $3 and poured into a tall beer glass. A very hazy rich golden-yellow color with a fluffy pure white head that slowly fades leaving slight lacing. Aroma is of bread, yeast and slight citrus. Taste is really nice with some citrus and bread followed by a muted cinnamon/nutmeg-like spiciness that really makes the beer. Towards the bottom of the pint, the beer started to have a slight metallic after-taste, maybe due to the trip across the Atlantic. Goes down really easy, but is not super thin - enough body to keep you from pounding it, but enough carbonation to keep it refreshing. Overall, a fantastic wheat beer and a great deal for the price. (713 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

I love hefeweizens, but I'm not sure I understand the super high rating on this one. I can't really tell this difference between Weihenstephaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, or Tucher. They all seem equally delicious. While I love the style, this particular brew does not stand out from the crowd. (295 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan. Poured from a bomber into a weizen glass, this brew's got a four finger thick, frothy on the outside but finely foamed on the inside head. I've never seen one quite like this. Along with the golden hazed body.

I smell earthy grains and a touch of fruit zest. This oughtta be good...

This brew's taste is a very lively and crisp malt characteristic combined with a slightly dry fruit in there, kind of mid-swig. A very great balance of those tastes and a high drinkability.

Mouthfeel here is very clean and crisp. I can't wait to enjoy one of these on a hot day after a few hours of working outside.

Overall, a 4.75 for Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan. Not quite perfect for a 5, but this is up there fellow BA's and also those new to this who'd like something lighter on the palate yet still bursting with great flavor. (961 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Very hazy straw color with a huge fluffy head that did not want to go down!

Smell: Very strong yeast smell. Some wheat aroma, but mostly yeast - spicy, citric, nutty.

Taste: Yeast are up front, providing that hard to pin down flavor - banana, citrus, spice, clove, soybean, peanut. Dry wheat malt flavor follows it up. The flavors are strong, but smooth and balanced.

Mouthfeel: The thickness and fine carbonation give this one a very creamy feel. No residual feel.

Overall: I can see why this brewery has been around for so long. All the components of this beer are bold, but well blended. I usually get bored of Hefe’s before finishing 12 onces; this one left me wanting another 16. (702 characters)

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan