Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros

4.36/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +2%

A: poured from a 330 mL bottle into a weizen glass, a perfect hazy golden yellow with an enormous white head that lasts throughout the consumption of the glass

S: yeast, banana, clove, fresh baked bread rolls, biscuit

T: banana, clove, cabbage, yeast roll, toast, nutmeg, cardamon, cinnamon, lemon, more flavors keep appearing as the beer warms

M: light, refreshing, lively carbonation, great aftertaste

O: this is the yardstick that wheat beer must measure against, I've had many but none are as good, quite common and quite delicious, treat yourself to a Hefeweizen Mercedes to see why this Bavarian brewery has been around so long, it really is that damn perfect

2.7/5  rDev -38.8%

Disappointment truly is a hard thing to swallow and in this case somewhat literally. As a lover of beer and all that it has to offer, I sometimes find myself at odds with my worldly and often better educated beer peers. While some revel in the rebel spirit, I find more often than not that rebels are simply ignorant of the point and rebel for the simple sake of rebellion. I like to think that with the years I've grown in both taste and the ability to see the positions of others. However in this case, I must simply disagree.

Weihenstephaner's Hefeweizen(for my peers outside of old Europe) is highly regarded and it appears to be seen as a genre defining creation. However I wonder, who defines this genre? Does it change with time? And finally isn't enjoyment ultimately the thing that matters most? Coming from the northwest region of the United States, I find Hefeweizens to be mostly defined as a cloudy citrusy affair with a bright white head. However recently I've found newer breweries bringing back more of those delicious banana and clove tones that I so adore. Which is why I am so disappointed in this genre "original".

Appearance is exceptional for the genre and quite appealing visually with its mysterious orange yellow body and glass clinging white head. The smell is quite good as well if not a bit subdued. When we reach the taste though, this beer goes south immediately with a strangely aggressive carbonation. From there one is reminded somewhat of a pilsner with a lemon wedge on the side and to top it off, it leaves with a hint of iron and bitterness drying your tongue. Where is the banana? Where are the cloves? I want my smooth mouthfeel and delightful characters damn it! Instead I'm left with a mediocre beer that languishes and slowly warms much to my disinterest.

To be fair though, where I'm at is nearly half way around the world from this beers origin and perhaps I may have gotten a bad bottle or two. I've always said, "fresh beer is best beer". Though to play devils advocate, I have had an exceptional hefeweizen from the same area, in the same bottle and stored in the same manner with nary a complaint. I don't know, all I do know is I don't get this beer, I don't want this beer and will not be having it again anytime soon when so many more exciting and satisfying options surround me.

Label - 2
I include this with each bottle/can review because I feel that for the average consumer to even approach an unknown beer, it's the packaging that entices rather than the actual end product. Points and half points are given for Style, Readability, Tasting Note, Brewers Notes and Ease of Bottle Reuse.

3.75/5  rDev -15%