Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros

alesaram, Oct 16, 2012

kahjdfh, Oct 16, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured in a Weizen glass

A- pours a slightly hazy pale golden color with an orange hue. Huge rocky and pillowy white head, sustains long after the pour and reduces to a solid layer leaving sticky lace on the glass.

S- Classic banana and cloves, earthy, cellar like yeast. Sweet wheat with a hint of lemon-grass, just a trace of hop bitterness. Very nice.

T- Sweet malted wheat, highlighted by somewhat tart lemon notes and a bit of clove. Hops are minimal, finishes dry with a cracker like maltiness. The yeast is a bit nutty and I pick up some refreshing fruity notes as well. The alcohol is noticable but is balanced nicely. The linger on the palate is fruity and refreshing, long after tasting.

M- medium body with a healthy bit of carbonation, mouthfeel is super creamy and goes down like velvet.

O- this one lived up to the hype for me. By far the best Hefeweizen that I've had and will enjoy this one many times to come. I can only imagine having one of these fresh overseas.

Treyliff, Oct 16, 2012

swimnadd, Oct 13, 2012

clayton8625, Oct 12, 2012

PsychicBubblegum, Oct 12, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -29%

I know I have had this beer before… I just don’t remember it. Oh, and sorry we have not written in a while. I was in Dallas on business, and have just been really busy lately. But we have some new motivation… before I leave for a week on another business trip! Anyway, tonight we are grabbing a bottle of Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier. I wonder if anyone out there can pronounce the name of the brewery… not you German readers. Other readers!

Anyway, looking forward to reviewing this beer. I don’t have an orange. I hope I can still enjoy the beer!

In the Glass: It’s light yellow in the glass, and pours a two-finger head. The lace is weak, but the head stays strong when swirling the beer in the glass back and forth.

Nose: That is what a beer is supposed to smell like. It is filled with yeast and has a subtle dryness to it. I just want to take a big chug of this. Like I said, I know I have had this beer before… just not sure what it tastes like. Based on the style, I need an orange. But I hear it’s not cool to fruit your beer.

Flavor: This isn’t ice cold, as we just bought the bottle tonight. But I threw it in the freezer when we got home. It is at cellar temps right now. Perfect for most, if not all beers. The flavor is incredible. Never mind the bubbles, the flavors are that of a typical hefeweizen. I haven’t had one of these overseas yet, but the next time I go over there, I will be sampling one of these. By the way, did you know that Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan is the oldest brewery in the world?

Mouthfeel: There is a ton of carbonation. The beer sits nicely on the tongue, but as you swallow the bubbles really try to force all that flavor to the back half of your palate. The flavor is nice, but the mouthfeel, and I hate bubbles… is acceptable. I wouldn’t want to swish this one around in my mouth… as that wouldn’t give me any more flavor, only create more bubbles… but man, what an enjoyable beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is decent. Nothing to write home about. The ABV is also pretty low, and what aftertaste I get is subtle, dry, and reminds me of why an orange would match well with this beer. I am not a huge fan of this style, but the hot Arizona summers might change me in a few years. The crisp flavor a beer like this produces will help cool down those hot summer nights nicely.

I am not a huge fan of this style, but I really enjoyed this beer. As my palate changes, I have to keep an open mind on beers that I might not always dig. For example, I HATE Brettanomyces beers… there is just something about that yeast strain that I can’t handle. Not sure of the yeast strain they use here, but man… I could get used to drinking beers like this. Beers like this might even taste better from DAS BOOT!!!

Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier – The bottle says: “NA”

rickyleepotts, Oct 12, 2012

henryhampton, Oct 12, 2012

jiffymon, Oct 11, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

ShakaShakaShaka, Oct 11, 2012

Disasterific, Oct 11, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So easy to drink anytime of the year. The head is so impressive, it almost looks like dessert. Almost makes you want to buy more Weizen glasses. Consistently good. A great beer to always rely on. Yet another great beer from the world's oldest brewery.

Beer-A-Lot, Oct 11, 2012

GeneralDow, Oct 11, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Pours golden bronze with a two and a half finger frothy white headm leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Honey, lemon, citrus, clove, adjunct grains, slight wheat, and sweet malt.

T - Bubble gum, lemon, citrus, light wheat, honey, banana bread. Bubble gum is dominant however

M - Medium bodies with low carbonation. The wheat becomes more pronounced and the honey and clove linger on the tongue. Extremely smooth feel to this beer.

O - Over, I never thought i'd find a top 100 beer for $2.19 a bottle, but I'm glad I did. This is very easy to drink and much better than La Fin Du Monde.

SometimesIfart, Oct 11, 2012

Hebi, Oct 10, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Gotta give a disclaimer here first. I have tried this beer before—on many occasions. This is one of my favorite beers on the planet. I’ve been told it is the perfect Hefeweissbier. Now I haven’t had enough of the style yet to truly appreciate the differences, but that being said, I can vouch for how good this is. It is amazing.

A – A hazy gold with a perfectly white head of carbonation that rises up to the top of the glass when I pour it but then recedes afterwards. Very little/no lacing.

S – Makes you wanna cry. The smell is just so goddamn wonderful. Clove and banana, bread and a very welcoming yeast with hints of spice as well. AAAHHH, smells so good...also, bit of lemon.

T – A lot more of the nose, just such wonderful flavor, a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness, great banana and yeast, with other fruity (lemon) and spicy components in the background (maybe a little caramel in here as well, just a dash).

M – The carbonation on this beer is really nice, it provides a luxurious effervescence that tingles across the tongue and down the throat. The body is medium.

O – I love this beer. It will be a beer that I drink for years to come. Great, wonderful, tasty, delicious, banana-y, sweet, bitter, mild, drinkable, spicy, yummy.

KKB, Oct 09, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

.5 liter bottle to a Horseheads pint glass

A- Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a giant head of thick white cream that stays for quite a few minutes. Limited lacing.

S- Extensive amounts of bananas, a bit of lemon and some grassiness along with some spice. This is a real winner here.

T- More lemon and yeast character than the nose lets on, but otherwise follows it. Lots going on with banana and citrus, finishing up with a subtle warming on the way down.

M- Light on the tongue, but that's the way it should be. Very bubbly and refreshing. A certain lasting spiciness brings me to take another sip.

O- I really enjoy SN Kellerweis, but this might surpass it. This is surely one i'll go back to again, especially at 3 bucks a piece.

tviz33, Oct 09, 2012