Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,996 | Reviews: 2,347

3.53/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally I found this. I had heard so much about it here and elsewhere as the undisputed champ of hefes. So there it was at the bar out of nowhere and I pounced on it. Hmm. Well, it was fine, but... I don't get all the crazy praise for it. It was good but didn't do much more for me than other hefes, which I'm starting to have my doubts about. I'm wondering if the style is a narrow one, in which the differences between different offerings are small. If you served this to me I'd be happy enough, but rather than buy it again I'd rather explore other untried options. I will say it had a very pretty snowy white head. Seems like a good example of the style but I was let down that it wasn't crazy turbo good like the hype suggested. Or maybe I'm just not a hefe guy.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%

The appearance of this beer is a light, golden color with a little bit of cloudiness. The head poured thick (1 inch) and slowly turned thinner with moderate lacing.

The smell is really nice! Aromatic and powerful, it has a real nutty, wheaty smell followed by cloves.

The taste is like nothing else, literally! Lots of wheat and nut flavor, very natural! No bitterness and a hint of the sweet malt right before the carbonation takes over and bubbles on the tongue. The clove flavor is very present but balanced with the other flavors. Totally took me by surprise, great tasting beer!

The mouthfeel is crisp in the front and carbonated at the end, but a great carbonated. Not like the negative soda-like carbonation, but it is strong.

I am not a beer master, but I have had my fair share (much more than I have had a chance to review for this site) and the flavor of this beer is phenomenal. I bought it from Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware (funny website, ridiculous store) not knowing what a reputation it had! Very surprised when I first tasted it then I came here to review and saw the scores it had received...what a great beer! A must try, no matter what your likes or experiences in the world of beer.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a curved pilsener glass- pours a hazy yellow orange color with a big puffy 2.5 finger head. Lasts a LONG time- keeps a half finger head the whole way through. Beautiful.

Smells delicious and rich- lots of wheat, a little bit of orange, good dose of lager yeast. Well balanced and enticing.

Taste is consistent with the smell- lots of bright rounded wheat, a bit of orange, maybe a bit of hop bitterness towards the end mixed with the yeast.

Mouthfeel is crisp= light body but very full flavored and nice medium carbonation (pour carefully). Great great beer- I'll be drinking this a lot this summer.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan