Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- From a .5 liter bottle, poured the inverted way. Pale gold and very cloudy , big white head that never really fades away completely.
S- This is what a Hefe should smell like. Banana bread right out of the oven.
T-The banana is there with a salty clove finish. this is a fantastic summer beer and pretty damn good the rest of the year also.
MO- I could drink this beer everyday and I think I might start keeping it around more often. The only bad thing is that every other Hefe wont measure up. This is the beer that the hefe characteristics were written about.

confer, May 04, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into the curved weisse glass from the gift pack. Attempted to do it traditional style, pretty much failed on that. (Will not be holding my poor pour against the score!)

Appearance- After it settled down, excellent amount of head with lacing throughout. Hazy golden color, like a hefeweizen should have.

Smell- Exactly what you should expect from the style. Lots of cloves and bananas. Pleasant, but not overpowering in any way.

Taste- Again, bananas and cloves, a very full taste, but still very easy drinking.

Mouthfeel- Exceptional! Despite the full taste, this in no way taxed my palate. As light on the tongue as a BMC lager, but with a taste that rivals any beer.

Overall- Had to go the full monte on this one. In addition to the combination of drinkability and full flavor, you can taste history while drinking this beer. This is the hefeweizens all others are measured against, and for a good reason.

phillybeer7779, May 03, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Weihenstephan Hefe

Weihenstephan is the world's oldest operating brewery with a history dating back to 1050 a.d. They even have a university dedicated to the art of brewing. The brew pours a cloudy golden amber color and maintains a sudsy, persistent head. Aromas of bananas, cloves, yeast, and wheat are prevalent. The taste is full and abound with no particular flavor overpowering any other flavor, yet they all stand out individually. This is one to be tried by all who seek good brew! Even those who don't like hefeweizens find that they like this a lot.

RashyGrillCook, May 02, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of life's simple pleasures, maybe not to simple. This beer has head for days, I got a little carried away in the pour and had to suck the overflowing head. Needless to say the head is better than three fingers of dense foam. The color is slightly hazy, matching a 10 on the SRM beer color chart. Very sticky lace that clung to the glass to the end. Smell is fascinating, with aromas of banana, cloves, tangelo, peach, and sun dried sweet wheat. Taste is almost beyond words and this is from someone who is not much of a fan of wheat beer. There are a myriad of flavors weaving in and out of each mouthful. There is banana, cloves, orange, lemon, vanilla, cinnamon, did I mention banana, well it was just great. Mouthfeel is very full and creamy, with lots of tingle. Just a pleasure to drink. Hard to come by or I would have much more of this.

beerprovedwright, Apr 29, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

finally get to try this...

pours out of the half litre brown bottle a hazy sunset gold colour with a large meringue like head. ample lace. wonderful yeast, spicy wheat and lemon aromas; plenty of banana esters, orange and some hints of clove. smells really bright and fresh. spicy malted wheat flavour careens to the lemon and spice side...some grassy notes with a good dose of apple, banana, vanilla, and clove to round things out. lighter body than i was expecting with a mouthfeel that runs more crisp than creamy albeit refreshing and replenishing...it lets all the flavours bounce around splendidly. this is outstandingly drinkable with a overall "wow" factor that will make me revisit this all summer now that it's available to me.

hit the spot after a day of yardwork on a sunny and warm spring day!

budgood1, Apr 28, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

A few and, sadly, far between bottle of the famed Hefeweissbier. The last time I had this it was exactly what I needed. This time was no different.
It pours the standard for hefeweizens, a glorious gold that makes you believe it is clear, even as the truth is before your eyes. Enormous cloud of white foam and staining on the glass that I wish I could copy next Halloween into my pumpkin. Sweet wheat, sweet, ripe banana, and a punch of some clove. Barely bittered, the sweet notes ripple over each other in an earnest attempt on my affection. So smooth and worthy of princes to bathe in. On the sweet side, certainly, but the banana finish is delightful.
I need to be drinking this beer more often. Here comes summer.

dragonWhale, Apr 28, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +10%

12oz bottle, batch/date coded

A - Cloudy, and almost glowing pale gold body with a voluminous white head that retains excellently well and leaves good lacing down the glass. Constant streams of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very inviting.

S/T - Both similar with banana and clove up front and a yeasty, wheat like finish.

M - Light body, high carbonation, crisp and refreshing on the finish with a very slight tartness/bitterness as well.

O - Wow, not bad for being about 6 months old according to the batch coding! I can't imagine how much more tasty this would be fresh from the source. This beer just screams refreshing, and was perfect for this warm spring day. My favorite weissbeer to date. I'll definitely buy this again.

garuda, Apr 27, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I'm really Thirsty...

Appearance-Couldy Orange color with a big 3 finger silky white head which leaves little lacing.

Smell-Banana and spice aroma with hints of orange and lemon. Some yeast coming through as well.

Taste-Upfront you get the yeast, malt and wheat. The lemon and orange peel comes through along with some cloves and some black pepper. The finish leaves me with a banana/clove combo lingering on my tongue.

Mouthfeel-Light to Medium carbonation with a nice amount of carbonation. Very refreshing.

Overall-Very good beer, very smooth and refreshing, and could go real well with food. Very Reasonable as well.

SWMeyer4141, Apr 26, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

I must say, I had expectations for what this would taste like, but it really took me by surprise.
The head on this beer is beautiful. I poured moderately gently and got a huge head. Hazy yellow hay color is just what I would expect.
The smell was less intense than I thout it would be. I expected banana and slight clove. I would say I got more of a slight clove and slight banana smell. There is some kind of coriander or lemon zest smell, but I know they did not use spices.
The taste, while wonderful really threw me off. I expected an intense banana ester. I would say it is more balanced between cloves and banana than it leans towards one or the other. What I really noticed on the first sip was a high level of carbonation. I knew it would be high, but I didn't realize how high it would be. It really helps to keep it easily drinkable and light feeling.

Overall, this is a great beer. I expected differently, but what I got, I liked. I wish this had a date on the bottle just so I could know if it would have been different fresh.

honkey, Apr 26, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a pale cloudy egg-yolk color with a monster 3 finger white head that persists forever leaving great lacing.

Aroma is very phenolic with bananas, cloves and very subtle citrus lemon zest. Malts come in the background with a bready character.

Taste follows nose with lots of yeast aromatics again with banana and cloves but also bubblegum/fruity. The malts come thru with bread and sweet grains.

Mouthfeel is extremely refreshing with sparkling carbonation and a light body. But despite the high low body there is lots of flavor and it is hard to stop drinking.

This beer sets the standard for the Hefeweissen style and it totally lives up to the hype. It is the best one by far.

paulozanello, Apr 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 500ml Julius Echter weizen glass.

A: Cloudy pale orange color. Cloudy but no sediment. (Overly) aggressive pour led to a humongous fluffy white head that led to steady but spotty lacing.

S: Wheat, banana, tangy citrus and yeast. Very nice, fresh and delicious smelling.

T: Really smooth, yet sweet and spicy flavor. Tastes exactly the same as the smell. Wheat and banana and some clove or other ground spice I can't quite identify. Yeast flavor is present as well but it's not "yeasty." Some very mild hop.

M: Medium body, lightly but amply carbonated. Coats the mouth really nicely and leaves it dry and aching for more - for which I am more than happy to oblige.

O: This is a wonderful wheat beer - one that should be (and is) held up as *the* standard of hefeweizens. This is one of my favorite beers and will get plenty of glass time as the weather warms.

suspect, Apr 21, 2011

500 ml bottle into a pilsner glass

A: copper orange with a 3 finger white fluffy head that has pretty good retention and leaves nice lacing.

S: The smell is of oranges, lemon zest, and cloves. This is a very pleasant and welcoming smell on a spring day.

T: The taste pretty much follows the smell except there’s a little bit more tartness than I had anticipated. The cloves come through a little more than the lemons/oranges, but those are there as well.

M: Crisp and clean up front with lingering peppercorn stickiness at the finish. Perfect carbonation and appropriate viscosity, although I would have liked a little bit thinner at the finish.

O: If I had not been privy enough to have had live oak hefe on several occasions, most recently a few weeks ago, this probably would have gotten a higher score from me. It is my favorite for the style that I am easy to find in the Midwest. However, it does not touch live oak it terms of my absolute favorite for the style (I did a side by side recently as well).

glazeman, Apr 21, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

500mL bottle with no bottle on / freshness date poured into Black Raven 22oz glass, reviewed on 4/19/11

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with huge fluffy white head with great retention leaving some lacing around glass.

S: Bananas, spices, definitey cloves and earthy yeast with some malted wheat and no real hop aroma.

T: Malted wheat, some yeast, fruity banana esters with spices. Don't taste the bananas and spices as much as I smelled them, delicious none the less.

M: Crisp, clean and refreshing. Slightly sweet up front but finishes nice and dry.

O: This is great, I'm not usually a big hefe drinker but this one is really good, blows all the other ones I've tried out of the water. Will be drinking plenty of these on hot summer days.

Azurescens, Apr 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +2%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a bottle into a weizen glass, produced a beautiful 1-1/4" frothy white head with excellent lacing that dissipated slowly. The body was a hazy pale gold with yellow highlights and lively carbonation.

AROMA: Hard to believe it could be better. Ripe banana, moderate wheat, a hint of doughy yeast, a very, very light, almost nonexistent citrus hops note, and a moderate fragrance of bubblegum, clove, and a light hint of spices and vanilla.

TASTE: Moderate wheat, light citrus and dough with moderate banana, bubblegum, clove and spices. Very nice indeed.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a medium-light body, a creamy texture, a moderately sweet initial flavor that didn't change except to add a slight hint of bitterness at the end of the medium length finish. Carbonation was lively and there was excellent body lacing that dissipated slowly.

DRINKABILITY: The best hefeweizen I've tasted to date. Seemed to combine a rich body and strong taste with great drinkability. I could easily drink these all night long and would serve it to anyone any time.

paulginva, Apr 19, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Very foggy body with a rich honey color. Thick, creamy head with great retention.

S - Smells delicious. Honey and banana with subtle floral notes.

T - One of, if not the best hefes I've ever had. Full of crispness and flavor. Slightly sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. The best way I can describe the flavor is "delicate." No off flavors whatsoever.

M - One of the best aspects of this beer is it's mouthfeel. This beer seriously has a glorious mouthfeel. The head is immaculate. The beer itself is completely balanced. Creamy yet spritey.

O - You need to drink this beer, damnit.

loobear, Apr 17, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Bright and clear golden honey with a huge white foam head with good retention and lacing.

Smell: Sweet fruity scent of banana, clove, and yeast with a slight scent of citrus hops.

Taste: Sweetness upfront from the bready yeast and bananas followed by a slight taste of citrus hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Very smooth.

Overall: A very tasty and smooth Hefeweizen from Germany.

MattyG85, Apr 17, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

This brew pours a nice somewhat cloudy honey color with a thick pearly white head. The nose is a hint of floral with some spice and green fruits. The taste is crisp, slightly tart and well balanced, with an excellent creamy mouthfeel that fades to a nice mellow finish. Overall this is one easy drinking brew and I would reccomend it to beer lovers of all types. Enjoy!!!

AnPiobaire, Apr 17, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Had on tap to have again in a mug at Biergarten Haus DC.

Biggest difference in appearance is the great foamy head with the great looking to go buttery yellow body.

The nose is just bigger and more varied. With the sweet lemon is now butter, even cinammon it seems and banana. Crispness sense is gone. It smells fantastic.

Taste is still super solid but less tangy and much more bold bringing out everything in the nose in balance, lemon, banana, clove, cinammon, with a great malt density.

This is truly a beer to have on tap it really shines.

smakawhat, Apr 16, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Doherty's East Ave.

A: Perhaps the definition of "straw yellow." Cloudy, opaque, excellent looking. Whip cream white head on top, good lacing.

S: Fresh. Banana, faint citrus hops, coriander, yeast, bread.

T: Exactly like the nose leads on. Incredibly crisp flavors of mellow citrus hops (contradictory?), banana, bubble gum. Lastly is the touch of mint that just makes this ridiculously refreshing.

M: Light body, super crisp, lower carbonation.

O/D: I've never had a "hefe" I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't know if it's the style in general, or just the ones I have had up to this point. I looked this beer up, and luckily it was on tap. I just had to have it after looking at reviews. I must say, easily the best Hefeweizen I've ever had. This beer singlehandedly is making me go out and look for others in the style (even though I doubt anything will be able to compare). If you find it, try it.

mostpoetsdo, Apr 16, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Pours golden yellow/orange with a big fluffy white head.

S: Lots of wheat with some hints of cloves and banana.

T: Follows the smell. Wheat up front that slowly fades into cloves and banana with some faint hops in the finish.

M: Light with lots of carbonation.

O: This is a good one for a warm day. Light and refreshing.

RunForYourBeer, Apr 15, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Although not my go-to style, I can certainly appreciate a good hefeweizen from time to time, and this is a very good hefeweizen. Poured from the bottle, the color is a warm, creamy-looking yellow-orange, with a big, fluffy, foamy white head. The fragrant aroma spills out with the prototypical German yeast characteristics of banana and clove to go along with a wheaty earthiness. The flavor is primarily an airy, lightly-sweet, and mildly fruity combination of unripe banana, milled wheat, and yeast. Despite the lightness of the flavors, the body is actually quite substantial, but the the fine carbonation makes it seem fluffy and smooth. Overall, I could identify a few little things that could be a bit better, but in the end this beer is just wonderful.

devilben02, Apr 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a hazy golden honey colour with characteristic thick frothy head.
Aroma is a nice mix of clove and banana--smells a lot like summer to me.
Taste is a tart but well-balanced mix of clove, banana, and hints of spice and bubble gum. Finishes nice and crisp with a touch of citrus.
Light to medium-bodied with lively carbonation that dances across the tongue.
I'm glad I picked this up to compare to a well-regarded (somewhat) local hefe. It rekindled my affection toward this style that is suited so well to these warmer months.

MattyV, Apr 11, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

Been wanting to try for a while now and thought finding it on sale was a sign, so I grabbed it!

Light pour and it was foaming like crazy, after everything finally settled and I finally emptied the bottle I had a 1.5 finger head with excellent retention. Hazy orange in color

Strong banana peel and clove aroma, orange is there as well.

The banana peel comes through strong in the flavor as well, clove and another kind of spiciness is apparent and a pleasant orange taste is lying under everything else. A muskiness is imparted by something. That's about it though.

Smooth as can be, good balance of flavors carbonation feels very light and I like it like that.

Overall great example of the style and one I'd be happy to have in my fridge any day

Fenris244, Apr 11, 2011

Drank from my Weihestephan Weizen glass

A - Pours a hazy honey colour with a large white head that stays the distance

S - Sweet clove and banana

T - Nice strong clove and banana flavour that is so very well balanced, a little citrus present as well.

M - Low carbonation with a medium body.

O - Probable equal with Andescer and Hacker Pschorr as the best examples of the style.

eric5bellies, Apr 08, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from tap to a Weihenstephaner vase at Cafe Katja, NYC.

A: Pale amber, hazy with full head, good retention but minimal lacing.

S: Sweet nose of banana and slight clove. Slight floral cooked cabbage.

T: Creamy wheat with well integrated clove and banana and slight orange. Very balanced and even profile.

M Creamy, low attenuation, carbonation not excessive. Quite drinkable.

Overall exhibits all the ideal attributes of a quality Hefeweizen while maintaining a smoothness absent of any possible off-flavor or harshness. Quite impresive.

atlason, Apr 08, 2011