Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
fastsrt

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

poured form a 16.9 ounce bottle in weizen glass

A: opaque, golden-orange, huge tight head.

S: banana, clove

T: cloves, banana, balanced by earth tone hops,

M: prickly carbonation, light body, refreshing,

D: my go to hefenweizen, one of the first craft beers that I drank, and cant believe i have never posted a review. can drink many of these but the yeast and the wheat fill you up fast.

09-08-2010 22:24:34 | More by fastsrt
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

4.72/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours a two finger head that sinks slowly into a thick layer. lacing from the head is already left from a bright white head. Each pour to fill the glass from the retreating head is an explosion from within. The body is a deep haze of golden. True to the style.
S: The standard of Hefe, a clove on the front with a layered spice inter mingling with banana and slight citrus notes. This again is true to style.
T/M:: As the nose suggests clove and banana, with a nice subtle spice finish, this brew has a powerful off taste, that I think makes it what an all star it really is. The mouthfeel is smooth and lingering tastes stand up to how the perfect style should represent. Mellow, cool and calm this is a winner. I am getting a strong ABV sensation, but for the 5.4%, I feel that from the taste I would expect more.
D: I cannot put the glass down, this is a goto hefe. I would want it to have a bit more ABV for the intensity of the taste, as some others of the Wisconsin offering have the same varied taste intensities have more, but that it what makes it a drinkable beer. I would seek this out again, but if it was holdin' a bigger ABV punch I would get a case.

09-07-2010 04:26:13 | More by GDBEERMAN
Homebrew35

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a nice one and half finger head. Color is a hazy golden yellow. Smell is heavy with banana and a touch of clove and maybe some honey. Taste is sweet wheat and honey with a touch of spice in the middle and then finishes a bit sweet and creamy yet surprisingly neutral. Quite a carbonated and mouthfeel is medium bodied. I could drink this all night, this is my first one ever and I love it.

09-06-2010 04:05:20 | More by Homebrew35
arturorg

Spain

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a weizen glass

A: Haze golden color with a white frothy head that last a bit leaving some of the foam attach to the glass, some visible carbonation.

S: Bread, banana, very fruity, sweet and a little bit bitter at the same time.

T: banana, lasting bitter flavor, gassy feel in mouth, anisette, for a 5.4 ABV you can taste a little bit of the alcohol, watery.

Overall it's a very refreshing and inviting beer that you can knock a couple in no time, it's one of the best weissbier that I have tried.

09-05-2010 07:34:08 | More by arturorg
GeoJ

4.85/5  rDev +10%

First off, I will admit I am a total newbie to the world of wheat beers, so forgive any hyperbole I might bestow upon this particular brew. The reviews piqued my interest, and I was lucky enough to find this at my local "beer and wine" shop.

I'm pretty much always been a Pilsner guy, and never really gave much thought to trying any wheat beers.

Simply put, this is the most delicious beer I have ever experienced in my life. I've found all of the A and A+ reviews spot on, regarding the aroma, flavor, and complexities. Every sip was a "close your eyes and savor" experience.

After the first bottle I was so thrilled I went out and bought a proper weizen glass. And it did, indeed, make the beer even that much more enjoyable. (Especially with a nice platter of mild veal sausage!)

If there is any hefe out there that someone thinks is more delicious than this, please let me know and I'll give it a try.

This would be very, very hard to beat.

09-05-2010 02:02:43 | More by GeoJ
cnally

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

How do they do it? Make it perfect in Germany, and ship it...and it still tastes perfect here in the states.

The color is a crisp clear gold and a frothy white head bubbles up nicely and results in decent lacing.

The aroma is a bouquet of clove and banana, staples of the hefeweizen, but taken to a more intense level. A punch of grains and yeast.

Tastes like a caramel covered toasted banana. Minus the sugary stuff. Just so powerfully balanced, the bitterness barely slides in with the finish, but the flavor really relies on its fruitiness and toasted grain.

A slightly watery mouthfeel, balanced but a little lacking in the crispness from some other beers in this style.

I have to say, I think this is one of my desert island beers. Easily the most drinkable hefe ever, if not the most drinkable and delicious beer I have ever had, ever.

09-05-2010 01:40:00 | More by cnally
Kinsman

4.63/5  rDev +5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass, no noticeable freshness date.

Appearance is a golden yellow body capped by a foamy white head. Hefe's are always described as being cloudy since they are not filtered, but I've found this to be a bit clearer than most Hefe's.

Aroma is oh so sweet and spicy. Initially there is a bit of a banana-yeasty presence quickly overcome by a stronger clove aroma. A soldid wheat malt body gives a bit of bready note.

The taste pretty much matches the aroma. Sweet banana followed by some spice, with bready malt notes on the finish. Really a quite enjoyable flavor profile, making obvious as to why this beer is such a classic.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth, and a little bit bubbly, but not overly so. Overall, an amazing hefe that pretty much defines the style. This beer has been around forever, and it deserves all of its praise.

09-03-2010 02:00:37 | More by Kinsman
Dunkle

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

I recently enjoyed a six-pack of this classic beer.

A: Cloudy gold with a nice-sized head.

S: Mainly cloves, but not overwhelming. I had to work a little to smell the banana lingering in the background.

T: The taste is of clove, wheat, and banana. It does not taste as light as the smell would suggest. Quite refreshing!

M: Light-medium body and smooth.

D: Very drinkable. One of my favorite session beers, especially in the summer time.

09-01-2010 05:06:19 | More by Dunkle
btorsdog

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

This was my favorite style of beer when I lived in Gemany, Hard to find good versions over here in US but this one is a true classic!
Cloudy, hazy gold in color with a touch of oranginess, beautiful dense solid milk colored head.
Sweet smelling malt with banana and clovetouch of yeasty lemon.
Taste is pure hefe-weizen gold,minimal hops detected with a slightly fruity dryness.
Mouth is thick but slick,kind of light at the same time,very nice.
Drink is top shelf,goes down good!!!

08-30-2010 20:32:50 | More by btorsdog
ne0m00re

4.72/5  rDev +7%

08/18/10- Had this one out of a 500 mL bottle marked (4120).
A: Nice amber with a big fluffy white head and constant bubbles.
S: Pale malts, wheat, yeasty bread, banana, a bit of warm nuttiness, slight toffee. Very nice.
T: Slightly dry, with a tangy orange in the mix that almost comes off like lemon, buttery mild nuts (pecans), bready backbone with a borderline coppery finish. Excellent.
M: Very frothy with a medium light body.
D: Awesome. Couldn't help this one from going down.

08-30-2010 02:44:11 | More by ne0m00re
nataku00

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a pub glass. Pours a hazy orange with an initial finger of snowy white head. The head dissipates quickly, and leaves little lacing on the glass. Active carbonation visible at the surface of the glass.

Right out of my fridge (likely ~40°F), hint of banana and citrus, with a little clove and light malt, but overall feint. Aroma does improve when the beer warms up later though.

Taking a sip, lemon peel type bitterness initially, with a little spice and malt later. Finishes very clean and crisp, refreshing. Really cleans your palate and would be excellent paired with spicey food. The carbonation is just perfect in helping to deliver the scent of your beer to your nose while drinking.

An easy drinking hefeweisse, perfect for a session beer, and I can see why this is the highest rated one. No excessive lingering spice or bitterness that's common in other hefe's or Belgian style witbiers, that would affect the food.

08-29-2010 20:47:26 | More by nataku00
KAP1356

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Had on-tap at R.F.D. in Washington, D.C. Presented in a plain pint glass. Reviewed from notes...

A - Very nice cloudy, golden yellow, honey-like color. A nice pillowy white head (about 1 finger) sits nicely at the top.

S - Great notes of banana and some nice spiciness to it; cloves and some slight coriander aroma. Very nice yeasty, bready aroma as well. Lemon peel is also apparent.

T - Follows the nose nicely but with a bit more clove spice to it. Great combo of the banana, clove and breadiness to this one. Some nice lemon peel flavors make it very refreshing.

M - Nice mouthfeel on this. Could use a little less carbonation in my opinion and perhaps it would be that much better. Overall a "good" mouthfeel.

D - Extremely drinkable beer. The low ABV and the combination of flavors makes this one easily a great choice for a hot day. Extremely refreshing and satisfying.

08-29-2010 19:09:12 | More by KAP1356
Whiteweasel

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Drank from a chalice and poured from a bottle.

A: Gorgeous translucent orange-yellow-goldenrod colour; looks like frosted glass. Nice frothy head, but lacing is minimal and dissipates faster than I would like.

S: Sweet nectar scent brimming with fruitiness (banana, kiwi, peach strawberry, and other tropical fruits) a fresh wheaty maltiness, and a deliciously unmistakable Belgian yeastiness. Deliciously tantalizing; brings the drinker in and excites the senses. Just under perfect.

T: Sweet fruity, yet balanced flabour. Powerful/distinct clove and banana with a wide yet still subtle palette of other fruits. Quite wheaty in a pleasant way. Missing the depth of taste that a higher abv would bring, but still DAMN good.

M: I would have loved more booziness, cause I feel the higher abv would bring out more flavours. However, a hefe doesnt usually have that booziness or high abv so I can't really knock it too hard. A little fizzy in the mouth when I might have appreciated a little less. Very very refreshing and satisfying.

D: Good lord, I could and would drink these all night if I could, and I would feel spolied doing it. A rare perfect session beer. 5.4% abv and 100 times its weight in flavour. I'm giving it the rare 5 for drinkability. So effing good.

08-28-2010 17:55:55 | More by Whiteweasel
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%

I picked up a 500mL bottle of this classic brew for a reasonable $3.49 at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. Code 3339 on the label. Poured cold into a chilled weizen glass at 9am, I thought it'd make a good breakfast to start the weekend with.

This cloudy golden yellow brew gives a great frothy white meringue head that forms large peaks and sinkholes as it settles, great 3D stucture. On the nose is a strong dose of dry banana peel, earthy yeast, spicy wheat. The feel is light-moderate bodied with carbonation a bit rigorous and fizzy for the style, not as smooth as I had hoped. Taste is dry banana peel, stale cinnamon, yeast, finishes dry with lingering banana peel astringency. The brew has left some healthy wisps of lace throughout the session. A good hefe, and a tasty choice for breakfast on a lazy Saturday morning.

08-28-2010 13:39:33 | More by BeerNinja007
ToasterChef

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my 500ml Schneider Edel-Weisse glass. I think my cellar may be a bit above the recommended 46-52 degree F temperature, as I was only able to get a portion of the bottle into my glass; a very large white foam head took up most of the glass. The liquid is a darker straw color and has a good amount of tiny bubbles rising within. Once I was able to swirl around the bottle and pour in some of the yeast, the beer took on the appropriate opaque appearance. Lacing is even and beautiful.

The nose has plenty of banana, pepper and wheat. There is a hint of sweetness to the aroma, but it doesn't lead me to believe that this will be too sweet of a beer.

After four pours, the bottle is now empty and the liquid comes up to the .5L line on my glass. I'm ready to take a sip. I can taste plenty of ripe banana, as well as some cloves. There is a flavor that makes think of how raw bread dough would taste. There is some pepper as I swallow, and a brief citrus aftertaste. The fruit disappears quickly and the pepper remains, as does the wheat. This is how a Hefeweisse should taste.

The beer has a light body, but as I swirl it around my mouth, it feels a bit thick. Perhaps it is all the carbonation foaming up? There is some coating, but it isn't sticky. It seems to vanish quickly.

I find this beer to be very drinkable. The alcohol levels shouldn't be a problem for a few rounds, and the flavors are quite inviting. Also, the beer is very refreshing. This is my first time enjoying this beer, it won't be the last.

08-28-2010 00:23:33 | More by ToasterChef
CalhounJohn

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

The feel and overall quality of this beer was evident with the first sip. It is full bodied yet smooth all in one. I've always liked beer, but have never really appreciated what a great beer truly is. The smell was superior from the first exposure. The mouthfeel and full body and flavor of this beer makes it truly a dream!

08-26-2010 20:46:55 | More by CalhounJohn
DNICE555

On tap at Holy Smoke in NY

A - Hazy golden orange with a nice white head

Smell - Citrus, spices, banana - very bold and articulate

Taste - The best hefeweizen I've ever had hands down. Its got balls yet its balanced. I believe it's the best of it's style.

Mouthfeel - Smooth would be an understatement. Balanced and refreshing? Absolutely.

Drinkability - Sets the bar for the style. Perfect for a warm summer day.

08-24-2010 17:57:22 | More by DNICE555
choyhosoi

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a glass. I saw this and had to try it. Pours a nice frothy head with a clear yellow appearance. The taste and smell is a little better than your typical german hefe. This one is a lot smoother. If you can try one of these pick it up I highly recommend it.

08-24-2010 02:24:46 | More by choyhosoi
Sam21

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

500ml bottle into weizen glass.

Appearance - Glowing hazy orange body with a very creamy white head. Great retention. Mouthwatering. Leaces sticky splotches of lace.

Smell - Soft mix of wheat, clove, and banana. Great balance.

Taste - Clove and banana come alive across the taste buds immediately. The soft wheat mingles nicely and helps strike a great balance. Light bitter finish balanced by the fruity esters.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied but the smooth carbonation and creamy body make it feel heavier.

Drinkability - This beer is very drinkable. Really soft flavors combines with a creamy mouthfeel. A real pleasure to drink. Overall, nothing more I want out of a hefeweizen.

08-24-2010 01:40:09 | More by Sam21
jeranbrews

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

D - A delicate orange gold colored body slightly foggy. With a finger or two of fluffy but dense cumuli-nimbus head.

S - Light fluffy sweet fruity smells and only the most mild of citrus. Orange peel. A bit of lavender. Some banana peel. Subtle but complex. A freshly baked cake with vanilla icing.

T - Mild wheat and barley flavors set the background for the citrus and estery flavors. Aftertaste has a very tiny alcohol bite too in that it just tickles the tongue gently.

M - Neither loose and watery nor thick and chewy. Pretty much in between but a bit of carbonation gives it a bit of a cotton candy feel in your mouth. In such a way that it just disappears into nothing when it hits your tongue

D - Quite pleasant. A desert beer. Maybe not the most refreshing on this hot day, but this beer hides a good amount of character into a small package. I have to be honest this is at least a star or two better than I imagined it'd be.

08-22-2010 06:54:54 | More by jeranbrews
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

500ml bottle poured into Aventinus glass aug21 2010

A cloudy golden orange with more bubbles then I thought you could fit into a beer, a very gentle pour gives me a giant three finger head that forms a dome over the top of the glass and just sat there ever so slowly falling leaving patches of lace along the way

S some citrus, clove and banana that you would expect from a great example of the style and a little dry cereal that I wasn't looking for but pretty darn good nonetheless

T not far from the smell and there's nothing wrong with that, I pick up on a little spice I couldn't smell. A good beer without doubt but I will admit the darker version did more for me

M the carbonation works well for it giving it a fluffy feel that gives it some body at the same time

D drinking this on a chilly summer evening is a pretty easy thing to do, a great example of the style and one everyone should try

I will drink this again with no problems, and at less then 4 bucks a bottle it's oh so very worth it. This may become my go to beer for the few days remaining of summer here in Calgary. This is another great addition to the growing beer list in Alberta

08-22-2010 06:15:41 | More by wordemupg
Kaiser81

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Bought a bottle today, drinking it now. Hopefully, it helps me do well in my sprint triathlon tomorrow.

Poured out of a bottle into my hefeweizen glass...fitting, right?

A1 - Been a while since I poured a hefe. I poured way too vigourously and I'll I got was about a hand with of beer, and a hand and a half width of foam. Onto the smell, I'll be back here after 2nd pour.

S - Lots of cloves and bananas! This is some potent stuff. I think Live Oak Hefeweizen had a touch more sweetness...this is all cloves and spices. The belgian yeast/malts definitely shine through.

A2 - The head is pillowy, and soft, and just sits there like a thunderhead...a bulbous thunderhead, on top of the beer. The beer itself is a cloudy golden, but when holding it up to my TV, and wiping the sweat of the glass, I can see the sports commentators. There are some bubbles rising. It's a light golden on the bottom, and a light orange on top. Just a beautiful beer. Beautiful lacing and legs are left after every sip

T - Pretty much follows the nose, but just a tad bit softer than the potency that you get from the smell. Cloves, and bananas, and spices. It's really nice.

M - Slightly creamy at first that leads to light, crisp, refreshing...nice carbonation. Spot on. I have no idea how you can make this any better.

D - What a summer beer. This is fantastic. Though I think I've become a bit of a hophead and would prefer an IPA over a hef, this is definitely worthy of the praise from "the world's oldest brewery."

08-22-2010 04:46:42 | More by Kaiser81
biggred1

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Cloudy, golden with light blonde highlights and a big pillowy ivory merengue like head. Fresh baked banana bread and clove spicy esters with a touch of toasted oakiness in the aroma. Big soft wheat malt flavors of banana and clove with a touch of lemon zesty acidity to balance perfectly. Perfect heft and body for what I'm looking for in a Hefe. Prickly carbonation adds to the drinkability. As I swirl in the last bit from the bottle it adds a nice nutty complexity to the flavor. Pretty good for a beer from a thousand year old brewery.

08-21-2010 21:52:44 | More by biggred1
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

500ml into glass boot. from notes.

A- Bright in color, hazy, and an overload of big bubbly snow-white foam. Doesn't want to go down, this takes a while to pour.

S- Clove, banana, vanilla, other spices.

T- Wheat bread, peppery spices, and ripe fruit. There's a great burst of flavors in this one. A kiss of hops in the finish. Mostly banana, a bit of apple and orange as well.

M- High carbonation, a bit lively, keeps the beer moving and keeps me coming back.

D- High. I've had this beer a LOT and will continue to buy it. There's a reason it's so well-regarded...

Note- I've had this overseas and am happy to say that it tastes more or less the same- we're getting pretty fresh stock on the East Coast.

08-21-2010 13:18:31 | More by ShogoKawada
Icehouse57

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a cloudy golden oak color. Seriously. That may not have been used before to describe a beer, but its the exact color of my kitchen cabinets that are stained a golden oak.

Nice whipped cream head... about 1.5 inches by the end of the pour.... my wife said it looked like meringue, and it was delicate like it too. The head was at least a 1/2 inch when I finished the 1/2 litre too.

Smells like a hint of banana, wheat, clove and more wheat. Phenolic. Just like a good hefe should be.

Taste was outstanding. Not over the top. Just right. Banana, clove and wheat are evident in the taste as well as the smell.

Feels soft in the mouth... sensuous almost. Nicely carbonated.

Very drinkable. Nice in the heat of these dog days of summer! An outstanding example of a stellar hefe!

08-21-2010 03:27:53 | More by Icehouse57