Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had this brew so many times it isn't even funny and am just now getting down to reviewing it. This was actually one of my gateway brews into the craft beer world. Served from bottle into a Franziskaner Weissbier Weizen glass. Poured a massively hazy golden yellow-orange with a three finger massively fluffy pure white head that remained for quite awhile and subsided to one finger toward the end of the glass. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of bready malt, banana, cloves, and wheat. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, banana, cloves, and subtle wheat. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall, this is my definition of a Hefe. This is truly a great brew in just about all aspects. Has an excellent light and well balanced flavor and aroma. If you haven't tried this one, get off your ass and do it! Pretty good gateway brew for beginners as well.

2.98/5  rDev -32.4%

The aroma is a wonderful concoction of wheat and banana, it smells a lot like banana bread, minus the nutty aspect. Some yeast and clove are detectable, with some earthy hops barely detectable.

The taste is actually a little lighter than I anticipated, really much lighter than the nose suggests. There's some decent wheat flavor in the beer and maybe a hint of banana and clove. I'm not in love with the flavor to be completely honest, it's nice and simple, but doesn't leave me wanting more or wanting to give a raving review. A good sessionable summer brew yes, one of the best in the world; I think not.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

500 mL bottle into DFH snifter

A - Massive 3 finger head, white and bubbly. Classic cloudy yellow wheat color, slightly more orange than usual. Bubbles cascade from the bottom in an endless steam. Lacing is epic.

S - Clove, banana and yeast. Sweet malted wheat. Hints of lemon.

T - Malty sweetness and then a bit of spicy clove. A bit yeasty. Phenomenal. Not as much citrus as I prefer in my hefes, though lemon is certainly present.

M - Light to medium body (closer to medium) with a great feel from the carbonation. Leaves the mouth perfectly content, no stickiness or dryness to complain about.

D - Goes down exceptionally well. Just a joy to drink. Easy to quaff and fun to experience. One of the true classics.

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass.

A - Pours a large thick, fluffy head that dissipated at a medium pace. Gorgeous hazy golden color that is only amplified by the long slender glass. Looks rather carbonated. Minimal lacing.

S - Cloves, coriander, banana, bubble gum sweetness. Incredible scents. You'd have to have practically no sense of smell in order not to smell whats going on in this beer.

T - Cloves, coriander; the banana and bubble gum are more pronounced in the taste. Tastes so damn good, its so difficult to put the glass down.

M - Light to medium body and I saw medium because there is just so much flavor in this beer. Very smooth. I remember this beer being more carbonated but its possible I got a slightly older bottle.

D - Hefes might be my most favorite style and I've had a vast array both imported and domestic and I therefore can honestly say that this is my number 1. Ayinger and Hofbrau come in a close second. World class hefe, you'll have it once and always go back for more, all others pale in comparison!

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

The best and the worst beers often call for (arguably) ridiculous narrative. This is just one thing that excites me, though, about beer - it's ability to at times be more than just a refreshing, intoxicating, (in various ways) delicious beverage. I'll say what I can about this one - truly the king of the hefes.

I know I'm in for a treat when I pour this into a tall weizen glass and the foamaroma cannot be contained. Angels are singing, trumpets are trumpeting. Tough to empty the whole bottle in one pour as the froth froths forth untamed - head a good 2-3 inches high on average, with the texture and look of soft summer cumulus. Properly poured, the light golden amber color glows like a sunbeam until the yeasty dregs cannonball down through, creating a sunflare swirl before obscuring into a wonderfully murky cloudiness. Yes, we have banana in the aroma, but it's at what I feel is the perfect potency - just in cool essence, not too peely or too fruity. An excellent, fresh baked, yeasty breadiness as well. Hops don't factor here to any degree of note. The taste is bright, lightly lemon meringue, a steady smooth supple maltiness, silky yeast in the finish, with an extremely well integrated, delicate and delightful tartness, thin yet rounded banana notes and only a hint of clove. The flavor of the grain really carries everything here nicely. I would drink this whenever, honestly, but my only knock against it is the degree of dryness in the finish, which I find just the tiniest bit too apparent. Overall, though, it leaves an invigoratingly fresh feeling in the mouth (palate). Just about without equal is this hefe.

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

The bottle was a gusher.

Smells like banana, tin can and a slight smokyness - very much like you'd expect a hefeweissen to smell.
Colour as you would expect in a Weissen, medium cloudy, beautiful head though it dissipated a bit too fast.
Tin can taste a little too dominate, but a nice furtiness. The wheat malt character is evident.
Slighty less body than I like, but i might be due to high carbonation. Nice dryness, very refreshing.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The Moment: Simple evening--crosswords and Baseball Tonight... Glassware: Koenig pilsner... Appearance: cloudy, slightly opaque golden body with a soft, thick snow-white head; nice tracings as the glass empties... Aroma: citric notes tickle with an undepining of hops to spice up the experience.... Palate: smooth, creamy texture--as pleasant and inviting a hefe as I have encountered... Taste: Clear, crisp profile, as expected from something with a recipe this old; a bit tart, but softly invigorating... Overall: Can anyone argue with the year 1046? A classic that refreshes easily, evenly, and with a slight twerk that provides character in a genre where the less character, usually the better...

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

When I poured this beer into a Weizen glass, I first noticed the impressive head. It was foamy, creamy, frothy, and so on and so on. There are so many adjectives to describe it, but simply put... it is the most impressive head I've ever seen on a Hef. When I took a sniff, I noticed a nice fruity aroma. As far as the taste, I got the banana flavor and a few other flavors that I still can't put my finger on. The flavor is definitely not as pronounced as a Paulaner, but maybe that makes it a less polarizing Hef. This beer is also extremely refreshing and surprising crisp and light. Overall, I'd say this beer is a great beer that is best drunk on it's own. That way, I can savor every last drop.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber (1 pint, .9oz), bottled on 6/10/10, poured into my wheat beer glass. (Reviewed in October)

A: Beautiful dark golden color, hazy from all the yeast. Forms a MASSIVE 3-finger foamy white head that is about as inviting as it gets. The head seems to last forever and has good lacing.

S: Dark ripe fruit (very sweet), lots of bright floral yeast, banana, and spices. alcohol esters are present in a very nice way.

T: The banana shines in this one, without overpowering the rest of the flavors. It's a fairly complex mix of sweet dark fruits, floral yeast, and nice esters. It's really well balanced, not too sweet nor to strong, just mellow enough to be really refreshing.

M: Very full body for a wheat beer, crisp mainly due to the light, champagne like carbonation. Has a clean wet finish with a pleasant mellow aftertaste.

D: This is a great wheat beer and would be a 5 for drinkability if it wasn't quite as full body. On a hot summer day it might be hard to drink more than one of these. Other than that, I can drink this all day long on a nice cool summer day.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Perfect cloudy Weißbier. If you pour it properly, you get to watch the Hefe drift down to the bottom of the glass and cloud the beer as it goes.

The smell of this reminds me of sweet bread, bananas and yeast. The malt is prominent and just by the smell you will know this is a full bodied beast of a beer.

It tastes thick and heavenly, big malty mouthfeel with hints of earth, spice and bananas. It is essentially a perfect example of the Weißbier style. It is essentially a delicious bottled meal, flüssiges Brot!

I am still partial to a few other beers; however, this is one of the best that you can find abroad.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

I am admittedly a Belgian beer bigot, but the German Hefeweizen is my 2nd favorite style. I have tried every one that I can lay my hands on and I would rate the Weihenstephaner as my favorite.

A cloudy look and heavy feel, but very drinkable. I am burned out on the light/summer-style wheat beers, but this one is as enjoyable as ever.

P.S. If you like this one, you should also try the Dark Hefeweizen -- it is heavenly.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is a study in understated excellence. The beer is very well balanced that is great all-around. I tried the beer two ways, I poured most of it in my glass without the yeast, drank half and then roused up the yeast on the bottle and poured some of that into my glass to compare. I think I like the clear beer better.

The beer is a bright, lemon rind yellow without the hefe--with it turns a cloudy straw. The smell is lemony and bananay, and the yeast adds a very distinct spicy clove aroma. The beer tastes lighter and more delicately fruity without the yeast, but spicier with a little bubblegum with. The mouthfeel is smooth, but I think it could use a bit more body. Very drinkable with just a bit of sweetness and hop bitterness to give it some beer character.

2.63/5  rDev -40.4%

A - Golden and slightly cloudy with a meringue-like white head that mostly disappears but leaves decent lacing.

S - In my 500ml Weizen glass, I don't get much of an aroma from this beer. Odd.

T - This is unexpected. I'm getting smokiness and a bit of a Band-Aid flavor. No sign of bananas or pineapples or other fruits as mentioned in others' reviews. Bad bottle? Points off for Band-Aids.

M - Good level of carbonation. A bit thin.

D - Despite the Band-Aid flavor, which is pretty subtle, I think I could drink this again, if only to see if I got a bad bottle, but maybe just because the smokiness is not intolerable (I am normally not a smoke fan).

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Appearance-Golden coloer and very hazy. Thick creamy head that hangs around for a while.

Smell-Sweet malt, and you can smell banana, lemon and a slight spiceness.

Taste-A sweet and earthy taste at first, then a lemon and slight banana flavor and then finishes with a small hit of spiciness. So much going on and diffrent flavors and characters and the beer warms a little.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied and slightly carbonated, a nice easy and smooth drink.

Drinkablity- Very easy to drink, Especially if it were warmer out, the perfect summer beer but great to drink anytime. Can't wait to buy more of this one.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a bottle into a weizenbeir glass.
A: Very cloudy/hazy. Golden-orange in color. Large white head. Lots and lots of carbonation.
S: Banana and spices on the nose. Smells great.
T: Huge flavor! Spicy with some banana notes. Even better when the sediment from the bottom is poured in. Very little if any bitterness. No bad aftertaste.
D: Drinkability is very high on this beer. Feels almost like a soda on the mouth.

A top notch beer. This is the first hefe I've had and I can't wait to try others in this style.

Poured a 2" head which slowly diminisehd to 1/2" and held. Hazy tan in color. Substantial in mouthfeel. Aromas and flavors were citrus, spices, banana, and left a considerable finish.

Many consider this to be a prime example of the hefeweissbier style and I'd agree, though I still don't see it as an A+.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Slightly cloudy, a goldish hay with a 2 inch head the dissipates fairly quickly. Plenty of carbonation bubbles.

S- Very interesting. Sweet, kind of spicey, somewhat of bananas, clove and maybe pumpkin. A little like yeast. Maybe pineapple.

M - A little thick. Quite carbonated. Slightly bitter. A little sticky.

T - Quite nice. The grains and yeast are very noticeable. A little like bananas and clove.

D- A very easy beer to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

A gentle pour gives a nice 2 fingers of creamy head over a hazed yellow-gold body.

Smells of bananas and cloves with some sweetness. Smells like summer.

Tastes of bananas and cloves again, but not as sweet as the smell promised. There's also a lemony tartness there that would be more welcome if there were more sweetness to cut through.

The feel is fantastic - creamy and smooth yet light on the tongue.

Not too potent and a wonderful feel. If it were just a little sweeter it would be my favorite hefeweizen but it's just edged out by New Glarus' Dancing Man. It has the major advantage, though, of being available year round so I know I'm going to be reaching for this when I want a taste of summer come March in Wisconsin.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Served in a Weihenstephaner weizen glass at World of Beer in Orlando, FL. Murky, cloudy orange in color with a two inch head that is foamy and awesome. The smell is sweat and malty, lemony and yeasty. The taste is mildly spiced and wheat with citrus and banana notes. I can see why this beer and the brewery as lasted so long.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

500ml bottle poured from one of their World Cup Gift boxes poured into the strange looking Weihenstephaner World Cup Glass

A: Golden yellow in color, with just a little cloudiness. Vigorous pour leaves more foam into glass than beer that settles with some nice lacing.

S: Banana and cloves in the aroma with some bready wheat notes.

T: More cloves and bananas in the taste, but not overwhelming. Citrusy yeast component adds just a little bitterness in the finish.

M: Soft creamy mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

D: This is my favorite hefeweizen, perfect on a hot summer day, but also very good when you want something relatively light and refreshing. Makes a great session type beer or starter beer when you want to move on to something more heavy.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Wow so many have had this beer and now is my chance!

A - Pours clearer than expected but produces a good inch of white head. Nice light amber color with slight haze.

S - At first whiff I can smell orange peel but second nice banana and clove with more orange. Wow this beer smells great.

T- Overall sweet. Starts with sweetness from banana and moves to a bitterness from an orange peel then finishes slightly bready with a nice sweet rounded smoothness. wow!

M - Well... Light. In fact it was like water with a TON of flavor!

D - Well a six pack runs about 12 -14 dollars which seems fair price for this heffe. Overall impressed!

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

For the type, it's a stunning beer to look at. I usually prefer dark beer, but this really is fun to look at. It's a hazy, lazy gold. Cloudy enough to keep the light out, but just light enough that you can see the ever present bubbles rising to the top to form a monster of a white, cloudy head.

Smells like a Belgian. Full of cloves and coriander, and maybe even some orange peel as well.

It tastes like a Belgian too, though the flavors are a bit weaker due to the wheat keeping everything in check.

This is a smooth beer, even with the spicy flavors. For the type, it's about as smooth as I've had. It's medium bodied and while not sweet, it's just sweet enough to round out all the flavors.

I don't know how you go wrong with this beer. It's got everything you want. The only thing I'd change is to give it a little more alcohol, but that's such a minor complaint.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

500ml bottle into a perfect pint.

A - Pours a clear pale yellow, with an enormous four fingers of head. Decent retention and lacing, but it doesn't last too long.

S - Huge banana notes, along with cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and plenty of yeasty bread. The aroma fills the room once poured. One of my favorite styles in this category, and this is absolutely one of the best-smelling beers in its style, if not THE best.

T - Almost, but not quite, as great as the aroma. Less of the banana and more of the spice, with the nutmeg and cinnamon flavors out in front. Malty biscuit flavors lurk around the edges. Zero detectable alcohol, as expected for this style.

M - Reasonably full but still light and effervescent. Great carbonation. A bit of a dry finish.

D - It doesn't weigh me down, and it's on the edge of being very sessionable. One of those beers that I could sit and drink all day.

O - For me this is the standard-bearer for the style. It's not quite perfect in every category, but overall this towers above most other hefes. I usually get somewhat older bottles, so I can only imagine how much I'd like this fresh. Factor in the price and you really just can't beat this one.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 0.5L bottle into an imperial pint glass. Bottle has a freshness date of 05.05.11. Pours with a voluminous, thick white head. Golden with some orange hues to the color. Very cloudy. Some lacing as the beer settles and is consumed. Some of the yeast emptied into the glass and floats near the top.

Smells include bananas, pepper, spices, esters--apples/pinapple, cloves...all kinds of wheat beer goodness.

Taste is magnificent...mirrors the smells and then some. Hefeweizen is not normally my first choice in beer styles, but this one is an exception. Delicious malt beginning with a hint of nutmeg and sweetness transitions to tropical fruit (see smells) followed by an intriguing array of spices in the finish--pepper and cloves. I swear I taste banana bread in there as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth and effortless. Perfect level of carbonation. Rolls over the mouth with a wide spectrum of flavors.

Drinkability...this is the most drinkable hefeweizen I have had. A pure pleasure to drink and savor. Let it warm slightly after removing from the fridge to enhance the experience if you have been storing it quite cold.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

appearance: golden cloudy complexion.

smell: typical banana/clove

taste: actually a decent hop presence for a hefe. some nice fruity flavors that are nicely balanced.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

definitly a world class hefe. not a fan of the style but this was one of the best Ive had.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan