Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass (I used the tulip glass as my weisen glass is a little too big for one 12oz bottle).

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden yellow with a lot bubble action going on up to the 3 finger fluffy white head.

Smell: Banana, clove, spices, wheat and yeast.

Taste: The traditional hefeweizen taste, which I'm sure these guys invented and perfected! Banana, wheat, yeast, clove and spices. Wow!

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and carbonated very nicely.

Drinkability: This beer deserves any and all praise it receives. Very enjoyable and flavorful beer at a lower abv that the rest of the top 20 beers. Definitely will be drinking again!

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier on tap at Perdition in Hell's Kitchen, New York.

Appearance: Served in a Weihenstephaner tall glass (easily 1/2 liter). Comes with a very white frothy head, a big one! Two fingers, recedes into one. Supeb lacing. Very hazy golden color.

Smell: Very rich aromas, of grass and hay, wheat all over, like the fields Vincent painted in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence while rapidly and unstoppably descending into sheer madness. Also some orange and various citrus aromas, including pineapple. Biscuit, bread and banana. Spices.

Taste: Very yeasty, like being at a bakery. Sweet notes. Touches of lemon and orange. Stinging hops. Pleasant, but not as exciting as the incredible nose.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is low, body is medium, flavor is full. Refreshing and a tad watery (thin) but also delightfully bitter, with a nice hoppy touch at the end and a dry finish.

Drinkability: Not as high as I would expect in a beer with low ABV. It got me buzzed when I was only halfway through the pour (admittedly, it is a huge serving). A bit too much beer overall, I would not session or have several in one sitting, but super delicious nonetheless.

I mean, I usually favor big beers, but this one is stunning.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

#50. The big 5-0, and not much else worthy of fitting that number than an award winning recipe older than the hills. I've never had the beer before but I'm willing to see what a masterpiece in Hefeweizen territory tastes like.

Poured from a 1 pt, .9oz bottle to my special mug at room temp.

(Appearance) Goodness, a volatile brew! A modest pour yields an enormous level of fizzy foamy head that retains incredibly well, leaving behind gobs of foamy head. That in addition to thick sticky lacing makes an impressive appearance. I still have a lot of this bottle to pour in and not enough room to do it with! Color of the beer is a smoggy murky gold tinged yellow. Carbonation is medium and bunched together in groups. The overwhelming amount of head is quite impressive. The appearance is simply great. 5

(Smell) First thing's first: I could smell this beer from several feet away which means it's quite pungent in terms of smell. An arrangement of some lightly roasted malty aroma and a bitter waft of grassy smell overlaps it all. Some big light grain, wheat and overwhelmingly grassy whiffs might be the biggest upset about the smell, but are far more subtle than in most macro brews, where a grassy odor is common. Fruits are also easy to draw out of here, amongst them, orange and definitely banana. Little in the smell keeps me from wanting to drink this beer. It smells good, but this is where any improvements can best be made. 4

(Taste) Some good tastes of light grainy malt and some complementary light fruit tastes; banana mostly, but also some orange bite, pear, and grape. Sweet honey rounds out the entire taste and a very fair level of non-intrusive herbal spices balance the finish. Yeasty bread-like smells are faint and complement the whole taste. Amongst I can pull out coriander and clove the most, comes through mostly on the finish, not so much as in what this reminds me of (Hoegaarden White), but enough so that it stands out. In the end, this is an exceptional brew. Sweet, light and subtle, yet defining taste. 4.5

(Mouthfeel) Beyond the foamy cap, a good balance of crisp and smooth in this drink. The herbal spice alludes to the crispness but the malty flavors round out the drink's smooth edge. The relatively average ABV is well hidden in this brew. A sweet finish with a herbal spice that brushes the tongue; it's like Hoegaarden, but with a more subtle finish and balance. It tastes fresh and at least as enjoyable. Great mouthfeel. 4.5

(Drinkability) One bomber to myself is what I need of this beer. The flavor is right on; this is a filling and enjoyable Hefeweizen and really worth any trip to the package store. If you're really in the mood, a shared bomber could easily make for one, but this beer is certainly worth every penny; at a $4 bottle, I felt it was a great buy. I might even get another on my next trip. 4

Verdict: If time is all it takes to perfect a beer style, then I'm going to have to dedicate an eternity to this hobby. Amongst my favorite beers and highly recommended to anybody willing to fork over $4 for something amazing. A (4.45)

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Reviewed from notes 1/8/2011

A: wheat, yeast, and bananas.

Ap: golden-yellow, unfiltered, 2 finger white head, very frothy

B/T: moderate carbonation, smooth and crisp, does not linger long, very light on the tongue.

Af: bananas dominate, followed by wheat and yeasty tastes.

O: very enjoyable, refreshing

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

* Appearance - a dark orange colour, appearing cloudy and solid. Pours with ample head.
* Smell - a slight fruity scent that doesn't reveal much.
* Taste - very well balanced fruit and yeast taste that doesn't change much.
* Mouthfeel - slightly heavy and not highly carbonated
* Drinkability - Fantastic and well rounded beer. I've only just started reviewing beers, but this is an instant favourite.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

500ml Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a murky amber/yellow colour with a massive frothy white coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the murkiness of the beer and there is some very nice lacing down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for a very long time before it began to dissipate.

Smell - banana/bubblegum, wheat, cloves

Taste & Mouth - The beer has quite a bit of carbonation and feels very light and creamy on the tongue. Most of the taste is made up of wheat, bananas, and cloves. There are also notes of a pear juice sweetness. It finishes with an all spice and banana aftertaste.

Drink - Thanks to brews like this, I am quickly becoming a big fan of wheat beers. This is a fantastic beer that I will be sure to buy again.

4.63/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a hefe glass...

A - golden orange/yellow with an absolute tornado of bubbles, they are everywhere and keep the huge 3 1/2 finger head going. Excellent lacing, excellent look.

S - fresh baked banana bread, very sweet notes of caramel, peaches, and malts.

T - cloves, banana, Belgian yeast, barley, wheatlike bread, surprisingly noticeable hop twang on the backend that I wasn't expecting from a hefe. As it warms, cloves and banana more pronounced. Alcohol presence is slightly noticeable.

M - I was expecting a huge fizzle of carbonation on my first sip but I was greeted with a lesser, more creamy level. Pretty light but very crisp mouthfeel, very nice!

D - this beer borders on almost perfect, it is extremely drinkable no matter what the year, sessionable, and most of all reliable. Must buy - they've been around almost 1,000 years! You know they are doing something right!

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

1L growler filled @ Al's of Hampden

Poured into my Duvel tulip, has a cloudy, golden straw colored body. Huge head on all of my pours, even though I was being very careful given the style. All kinds of stuff going on in the nose - clove, pepper, banana, and citrus notes are the most distinctive. Some spice and banana flavors upfront in the taste, with a sweetness coming through in the middle, rounded out by some citrus notes. Lighter body with a moderate amount of carbonation, very smooth and refreshing.

Pretty complex, yet balanced all around. Nice to grab a growler of this world class beer.

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Hazy golden color, pours a great head that stays around and sticks to the sides of the glass for a while.

S: Intoxicating. A sharp smell of bananas with mild complementary spices

T: First, the crisp nature is noticed. Next, there is a prevalence of differing mild spices and flavors take over. A bit of sweetness, a bit of bitterness. Finishes with a slight dryness that leaves you wanting a fresh sip.

M: Smooth feel on the whole, with notable carbonation.

D: Very drinkable beer. A lighter beer with plenty of flavor that you can enjoy all night long. Heavy enough to keep your taste buds very happy, light enough not to overwhelm you.

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into an extra-tall pilsner glass.

This beer looks amazing. It poured with about a hand's worth of white, fluffy, pillowy head. The head laces very well, leaving little clouds down the side of the glass. The beer itself is a hazy straw color, bordering on witbier territory. The smell is about average for a hefe, it's bananas and clove. The taste is also archetypal hefe, just done better than everyone else does. It's not too sweet like I often find wits to be, it's nicely grounded by some earthy notes. Just a great tasting hefeweizen.

The mouthfeel is good too, it's light and nicely carbonated. It's also decently dirnkable, it's still just a tad too sweet to be extremely drinkable. Overall, this has to be the best hefeweizen I've ever had. As someone who usually doesn't love the style, this is the only one I've ever had worth re-buying.

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a C&B Bruges glass.

A - Pours a completely hazy straw golden color, with orange hues. My pour yielded a super foamy two finger head which is super appetizing.

S - Bananas, cloves and even some Belgian like esters are the prominent aromas in this prime example of the Hefe style. Some earthy grain notes are mixed in well. Nice mellow bready wheat notes to round out the smell.

T - Great banana and bread notes. Banana bread comes to mind instantly, duh! Even without the stupid lemon, im getting citrus hints. Very clean, crisp and delicious.

M - Crisp, slightly dry and light bodied this beer is wonderful. Nice, small spiky carbonation.

D - Very highly drinkable. This is a low ABV beer that is like drinking a sparkling juice. So tasty.

This style has never been my favorite, simply because no one really knows how to do it like this. There are too many company's like Pyramid and Widmer who's sole existence is based on the popularity of their Hefeweissen and if people only knew how crappy those in comparison were we'd have so many more BA's in the the world.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

The Hefeweizen of Hefeweizens! The appearance is a light cloudy yellow, with high carbonation and a 3 fingered white head. The smell is of malt and bananas. The taste is perfectly balanced, proof of a perfectly fermented hefe (temperature wise). The carbonation is high in this beer but it suits it, definately a beer I can drink all night and a beer that inspires me to brew some more!

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow, with one finger foamy head after decanting.

S: Simply outstanding- perfect representation of banana and clove.

T: Most prominent aroma notes carry over to taste, alongside bubblegum, yeast, wheat, and coriander. Just a tiny bit of bitterness helps balance this nicely.

M: Lively carbonation and light body; easy, wholly enjoyable mouthfeel.

D: Could easily make a night out of this beer alone.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

16.9 oz bottle poured into hefe glass

A- Hazy orange with rocky white head.

S- Clove and bubble gum aroma right off the bat.

T- Creamy, spicy, spritzy. This is a top notch hefe that is hard to beat. Runs neck in neck with Paulaner Hefe. Great year round!

M- Crisp mouthfeel supports the wonderful array of flavors and aromas!

D- Gold standard hefe. Top three worldwide IMHO.

Happy Holidays!

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Cloudy, orange color with one finger of brilliant white head and lots of lace. Handsome indeed.

Smell: Banana, clove, yeast, and malt. An olfactory delight.

Taste: A delight of yeast, cloves and bananas.

Mouthfeel: Silky and tangy

Drinkability: Very tasty. This is the benchmark for all Hefeweizens to be judged.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

A: very good head; cloudy dark yellow; thin threading
S: fragrant with overtones of banana, apples, and yeast
T: very rich, complex wheat flavor; this is one of those rare wheat beers that make one stop, linger, and taste
M: rich

Overall, this is an amazing beer; it's a great way to introduce a wheat beer to someone who has been disabused of the genre because of bad wheat beers (of which there are many).

This is my all-time favorite Hefe. Tried so many others but always come back to this one. Poured two-thirds of a chilled bottle into a duvel tulip. After waiting for a gigantic white fluffy head to settle back into the glass, I swirl the other one-third still in the bottle and add it to my glass. I didnt always appreciate this style but my taste buds have evolved in the last 2-3 years and now i find the clove and banana smells to be utter bliss. A world-class beer. Think I'll have another.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

This was the first beer I ever drank that really made me fall in love with the taste of beer.

I had been drinking the usual domestic brands and a few imports for many years simply for the buzz factor and not really giving much thought to the actual taste and enjoyment of drinking.

The thing that first got my attention was when my buddy poured the beer and how thick it looked as it went into the tall Wheat beer glass.

Then he rolled the bottle to get the yeast off the bottom and poured out that massive creamy head. The glass was a wonderful golden cloudy color that you couldn't see through.

I took the time to actually smell the beer before taking a big glup of the head and yummy almost sweet banana tasting goodness.

That was it, I've been hooked on this Wheat beer ever since that drink many years ago.

Appearance: Golden and Cloudy.

Smell: Fruity with a nice wheat note.

Taste: Fruity with a wonderful Fruity Bananna finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and very refreshing.

Drinkability: One right after the other for me. I can drink these Hefe's all day long and never bore my tastebuds.

I really dig this beer.

While it's nothing special in the new world of Craft Beers, I still always buy a couple pints everytime I hit the Beverage Center because it still holds a special place in my heart as my first really good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

I'm disappointed in myself for awarding near an overall 5 but this one deserves it. This is the prototype for a Hefeweizen. The appearance is a golden, cloudy, murky, dulled orange. It smells spicy and has the yeast you'd expect. This hits on all points. It tastes like a hefe should. It has the sweetness and yeast to represent the style like it should. For other beers I would describe all around aspects but for this, I remarkably, have nothing to say. It is the perfect Hefe. I almost can't believe it. It's very drinkable and you must try this. This is THE Hefe.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow! Straight out of the bottle into the glass, a beautiful thick soapy head shelters a hive of swirling sediment. Colour is a fabulous cloudy golden hue. Banana, wheat, citrus aroma. Taste is refreshing and simply magnificent. Lemon, banana, clove, yeast with a hint of coriander. Giant soft head and sticky lacing subsides all over the glass right to the end. A truly great session. Im hooked.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Enjoyed on tap at my local establishment who has been trying to bring in better stuff as of recently. Reviewed from my trusty napkin notes. I keep forgetting my book so here goes...

A- A very nice hazy straw color with a nice goldish hue and a bunch of active yeast swirling about inside. Has a very nice white, creamy head that is alive with carb. Simply a great looking beer.

S- A very crisp and clean clove smell with a touch of pepper. As it warms some I am getting more of the clove smell with some bananas entwined with a nice subtle citrus aroma. An enticing and wonderful smelling beer.

T- Well they have been brewing this beer for close to a 1000 years probably and god damn they got it right. Definitely not one of my favorite styles, but this is simply astonishing. A great balance of light citrus bite with a great clove sweetness. It's followed by a nice refreshing finish with a touch of pepper in it. Crisp and refreshing!

M- Lively, with a great tingle of carb. Clean, crisp and refreshing. Similar to champagne, it's alive and bubbly all over. Really, really enjoyable.

D- Hahaha, your damn right. It's incredible I could drink this anytime of the year, but by the keg in the spring and summer. It's light, balanced and extremely refreshing. If you haven't tried it what the hell are you waiting for?

I guess that's why they have been brewing for a century. Fantastic beer from a world class brewery.

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

If all hefeweizens tasted like this, I'd be a fan of the style. Unfortunately, this is about the only one I've had that keeps me salivating for it. And it's at anytime of the year - not just the summer.

Enjoyed with a new friend at happy hour, the beer pours out of the tap smooth and golden straw color with a rich head. The aroma is citrusy and clean, the taste is crisp, wheaty, sweet and citrusy with only the slightest hint of hops to bitter it.

As smooth as it is, and as clean as it is, it's surprising that it still manages to be more powerful by volume than your typical Budweiser.

Listen up, this is your go-to drink at any bar that has it.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

The signature glass is the perfectly matched vessel for this brew. Glowing hazy gold body with a constant lazy upstream of bubbles from down below. A frothy mountain of bright white foam stands well proud of the glass, sticking around til the last sip and leaving many sheets of lacing.

Fresh and fruity aromas: lemon zest, cloves, tart peach, wheat, baking bread. A surprisingly thick and smooth mouthfeel; this beer practically slides around the palate. Just enough gentle carbonation to keep things moving along. Loads of banana bread and tart wheat up front, but it's lemon and cloves that linger in the end. One of those "why don't I have this more often?" beers. Great stuff.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Pours well.... Excellent head and I pured with vigor, Hazy golden color

S- mostly citrus

T- a rich wheat taste- how all hefeweizens should taste, simply delicious

M- Light with good Carbonation

D- It's almost too drinkable... I'm drinking it way too fast!

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Aggressively poured, it produces about 3 fingers of white head. Color of the beer is darkish straw. The head retains quite well, the head laces the glass as I drink it.

S - Wheaty, yeasty smell. Smell is not powerful though, unfortunately. Call me an American, but I like powerful beers.

T - The taste is similar to the smell. It is such a classic, well balanced flavor though. It's a good yeasty, wheaty taste. An excellent tasting beer, overall.

M - The carbonation accents the taste quite well. The carbonation is as well balanced as the taste.

D - Perfect. I could absolutely session this beer or enjoy a single one. It's an overall excellent drinking beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan