Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

One of my all time favorites. Had this up in Northern Italy in Cles, more than likeley you'd say ambiance made me love this beer, but had many here in the states and still one of my favorites. Full of banana/ clove flavors, love the cloudy chunky pour. I could drink these all day here in NorCal or all day at Flamingo Pizza in Cles/ Italy.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a standard 22 oz Hefeweizen glass

A: Very carbonated. Foam starts coming out of the bottle after I open it. This beer pours a lovely orangish-yellow color. Perfect cloudiness. After I swirl the yeast in the bottle and pour it in, a healthy head sits on top. The carbonation feeds the head for some time. What I like the most about this beer is the beautiful, cloudy orange color. Text-book hefeweizen.

S: Cloves, banana, and some lemon rind characteristic in the nose. I do get hints of sulfur as well. Some breadiness from the yeast as well. Not terribly aromatic, but pretty good.

T: Banana and clove are definitely there. I get a touch more banana in this than in others in the style. The clove is present, but a little lighter. Lots of bready wheat character. A very slight hint of vanilla. I do get some bitter, lemon rind character in the end, along with a hint of sulfur. It doesn't make the beer bad, but knocks a few points off for me.

M: Light bodied. Crisp and highly carbonated on the tongue. The creamy head makes the beer seem thick and creamy at first, but in the end it finishes dry and crisp.

D: A really solid Hefeweizen. It really looks phenomenal. I will admit that I was expecting more out of the flavor and nose for this iconic beer. It may be that I didn't get a fresh one. I'll try it again, but will have to make sure I'm getting a fresher beer.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a hazy pale orange with huge white head, not too much lacing though. Smell has banana and clove with a some sweet candy. Flavour has everything you'd expect from a hefe, with clove and banana to go with the wheat flavour. One of my favourites of the style, but not quite my favourite.

4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

Golden amber color with a big fluffy white head and good lacing. Nose and taste are loaded with wheat, banana and cloves. Extremely full and smooth body with appropriate carbonation - which is nice to try, but I think I prefer my hefes to be a bit thinner.

All in all, a very tasty beer that I think would play well with craft drinkers and BMC drinkers alike.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

A- nice golden amber color, with about two fingers width of head. It looks delicious.

S- a plethora of smells, all of them good. Fruity, nice hops smell, and is just wonderful. Slight banana smell.

T- I really don't have many adjectives on hand to fully describe how good this is. So I'll leave it this; best tasting hefeweizen I've ever had.

M- Nice body, not light at all, even though it's a lighter beer.

D- I could have this all night, every night. This is my new favorite beer. Period.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not my first bottle of this, but figured I should get around to reviewing it. Have also had on tap in Munich FWIW.

I always get a huge head when I pour this beer. My beer fridge is set to the cold side, so perhaps that is the culprit. None the less once it subsides I get a nice little layer of snow white foam throughout the session. Color is hazy that is bright gold on the sides, and gets darker towards the center (since more light has to travel through it, it gets darker).

Anyways, I've never gotten much smell out of wheat beers. So not much was to be expected. I think I smell wheat, and a hint of cloves.

Now taste: It's gentle and refreshing. Nice Hint of bananas, cloves, a bit of wheat. This is what a hefeweissen should be. I've had countless bad American interpretations of wheat beers. Brewers tend to get banana happy, or clove happy, or citrus happy (in a wheat beer, really?).

Mouthfeel is great. Smooth and reasonably carbonated. The warmer the beer gets, the more the carbonation subsides.

I have not found any American brewers who can do a true to the style Hefeweissbier HALF as good as this. You morons hear me? Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

A - Has a blond color and pours a huge head. Lacing is really strong and sticks everywhere.

S - Prominent smells are banana and clove, and a bit of spice.

T - Sweet citrus with banana following it. While sucking in air with it you can really taste bubble gum flavor too.

M - Smooth is an understatement. Great mouthfeel.

D - One of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. Just goes down great during the warm months.

3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

First review on my shiny new mac!

Ahem...

I was excited when I poured this beer, when a beer is poured in a movie it looks like this. Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (wow, I'm not typing that again) pours a clear beautiful amber color, with two and a half fingers worth of head. There's some decent lacing as well.

The smell of this beer is a wonderful concoction of wheat and banana, it smells a lot like banana nut bread. I like banana nut bread.

The taste is actually a little lighter than I anticipated, sort of watery. There's some decent banana flavor in the beer and maybe a hint of clove. I like the flavor, it's nice and simple, but how is this the best in the world? It's an amazing session beer, but I don't see it beating Boulevard Wheat or Goose Island 312. It drinks easily and is very affordable, but so are those two I listed above.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a perfect cloudy yellow color with a huge creamy white head that throws off great lacing. Aroma is perfect with fantastic banana subtlties and lemon peel and melon rind. Has a touch of bubblegum on the aroma and it's so fresh smelling. The taste is perfect. Really has that wheat balance with the intense lemon and banana combo that leaves this the perfect hefeweizen. Also has a great mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation and really has a great aftertaste. Also I think this has a perfect drinkability as it's super refreshing and just perfect for hot weather.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Beautiful aroma....sweet citrus and clove....strong and inviting. Appearance is, as one would guess, blonde and cloudy.

Very spritzy on the tongue...carbonation seems high. Indeed there is citrus apparent straight off, but it's more subdued than one may expect. However, there is a fair amount of spicy clove here which takes over almost immediately. A bit of smacking sweetness lingers around during and after the swallow. Quite clean in the aftertaste...not a lot remains.

Where some hefe's attempt to go overboard in their flavors, this one is a tad more restrained. It is a very drinkable beer and one I would definitely recommend.

weihenstephaner hefeweisse
woodman's, 2.59/500ml

can the classic beat the dancing man? maybe not a fair fight as this one has to travel so far and i don't know its exact age, but as i have no intention of going to germany to get some ...

a 4 peachy light gold that's clear for this initial pour, startlingly large miranguey head. minimal transient lace. swirling up the yeast for the seond pour improves he look considerably.

s 4 soft banana, a bit less clove, then the wheaty twang comes in. fairly restrained nose and much less spicy than dancing man.

t 3.5-4 bright, slightly sour. not a great deal of flavor. a little lemon, less banana, a tiny touch of baking soda (as i've noticed with past specimens as well) and metal. subtle and delicate are fine qualities, and i'd happily drink a bathtub of this while outside on a hot day, but i'm again having trouble finding the world-beating impressiveness. in fact, though i occassionally prefer quite a light style of beer, i'm finding myself wishing for significantly more taste from this vaunted wheat brew. (as a side note, wow the yeast really drops out of suspension quickly--five minutes and it's in a dense disc at the bottom of the glass!)

m 4 body is about medium with ample carbonation. not as silky smooth and finely bubbled as i was expecting (7 bridges brewpub managed more of that sort of texture), but certainly acceptable. a bit of swishing between the jowels brings out some creamyness. mouthfeel is probably the one department where weihen truly edges out the discoing dude.

d 4-4.5 not my first time trying the king of the hefeweizens, and i am yet to be wowed. refreshing, good, and probably one of the 3 best hefes i've had (NG, Hacker, this--and i'm aware i may have overrated the Hacker and will have to retaste), but i can now go back to the wonderful 6.99/6-pack dancing man with no lingering thoughts that i'm settling.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Cloudy yellow fizzy beer. Huge head that quickly goes away
S - Spicy yeasty esters. Subtle fruity notes too
T - The first taste is just fizz. Nice mellow malt flavor with subtle fruity esters along with it. Not very hoppy at all. Personally I don't think that has much flavor. The malt taste is very pleasant. The barely flavor somewhat reminds of oatmeal. The yeast flavor is phenomenal. Its kind of sweet. Tastes almost like I'm drinking a sweet bread with slight banana added too it as well as cloves and other spices. Overall a very mellow taste. I would love to drink this with a meal. Does not leave a bad taste in you mouth at all.
M - great mouthfeel
D - I could drink this forever

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

I have had this many times and finally decided to review it.
Poured into a 23oz. Weizen glass from a 500 ml bottle.

A - Has a orange, blondish color to it that looks gorgeous in a Weizen glass. Pours a huge 3 finger head that retains well. Lacing sticks all over in the glass.

S - Smells of cloves and bananas with, citrus and spice notes also present.

T - Very refreshing citrus taste with banana and cloves following it. Hints of bubblegum on the back palate.

M - Very smooth on the palate. No hop bitterness. Goes down really well on a hot summer day.

D - This is the most drinkable Hefe I have ever had. I have had quite a few and, none come close to the King of Hefeweizens . This is one of my all-time favorite beers. Outstanding.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Looks the part: hazy, yellow, white head of medium heighth. Nice smell of wheat, oats, honey, bit of banana, flowers, earthy hops. Flavor follows closely and is lovely. Texture is a bit firmer than I'd expect, with a crisp, biting carbonation. A good finish with clove and spices tantalizing the palate. Very refreshing and well done, though I like the dunkel more as I think it has a bit more personality.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

I have had this beer so many times, but it is always a treat. I have a soft-spot in my heart for Weissbier, as it is what introduced me to the world of beer. Weihenstephaner is a great one, but it isn't my favorite. It is a tad too banana-forward for me, but that's just my opinion.

Still, few things in this world are as satisfying as cracking a 40-degree Weihenstephaner on a 95-degree day.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow on a weizen glass. 2 1/2 inch foamy white head. Excellent head retention. Spices, cloves and bananas on the nose, sweetness on the tongue, with the yellow fruit kicking back again. Deliciously refreshing.
Extremely drinkable.
This is THE Hefe-Weizen to be had. Highly recommended.
If you must try ONE weiss beer in your lifetime, make it this one.

4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a standard weizen glass

A: Light golden color. Towering, frothy, white, 4-finger head. Very sparse, light carbonation rises throughout. Head 'collapses' slowly, leaving some sticky spider web lacing as it does. The result looks akin to a melting ice cream float. Head eventually settles to a half finger blanket of foam which never completely dissipates. Substantial beer ring lacing remains as you drink.

S: Light wheaty nose, strong yeasty tone, and some lemon citrus.

T: Very yeasty flavor. Really hearty wheat, much more so than a standard weizen. Lemon. Tastes like it smells.

M: Really light body. Kind of a steely feel. Yeast from start to finish. Coats the palette, and lingers.

D: Light and easy.

Atmosphere is very strong. Pure and regal appearance, and a very full, pervasive, floral nose. Much more intense flavor than the standard weizen. Similar in tone, just more of it. A bit of an offputting steely aftertaste. Overall though, this is a great quaff.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Cloudy amber, huge white head.

S: Clove, banana sweets, yeast, citric fruits.

T: Clove, banan sweets, yeast. Not much carbonation so the taste dies out in comparison to other hefeweizen. "Orangey" bitternes as aftertaste.

O: Must have been a bad bottle since I can rember I've tested this one with more carbonation.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Weizen glass that I'm happy is getting some use...

A - Hazy orange-gold with a HUGE fluffy head. Lovely.

S - Clove and banana. This is a perfect example of what a Hefe should smell like, absolutely iconic and amazing.

T - Again, this beer sets the Hefeweizen bar. More banana, clove, lemon and a light cracker malt. Perfectly balanced with just the right amount of tangyness and bitterness.

M - Light, creamy, crisp and refreshing.

D - The perfect summer beer, I could drink this everyday from May to September. Bow down, all other Hefeweizens, this is your king!

4.85/5  rDev +10%

A very enjoyable beer. Goes well with anything, but preferably not a citrus slice(orange or lemon) as it needs to be enjoyed "as is"
A...nice cloudy orange color with all the yeast sediments included.
T...sweet with slight banana and clove hints and wheat/malt taste.
S...similar to the taste, but more yeasty presence in the smell.
M...nice mix of light taste with full body and tingles of carbonation.
D...great anytime, summer, winter and as session beer or with a nice dinner, preferably a German dish.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

16.9oz bottle into a weizen glass. Poured 4/5ths then swirled and poured remainder.

Looks amazing. 4 fingers of fluffly head lasts for minutes, receding to a beautiful lace. Color is orange, hazy, and has some brilliant gold highlights.

Smell is brilliant clove and banana. Just a classic yeast strain, and there's no doubt why. This is the beer that the word classic was created for. Nice wheat malt gives some wheat husk and mild sweetness to the nose as well.

Taste is out of this world. Since this is THE Hefe that all others strive to be, it's impossible to rate this anything but a 5. Tangy wheat crackers, ripe banana, clove, and lemon dance on the tongue. Bitterness is light then fades quickly. Slight tartness and lemon hints at the end.

Mouthfeel is light but luxurious. Creamy carbonation and clean finish.

Magnificant drinkability. The Babe Ruth of beer, this is an utter legend. I could enjoy this beer anytime, anywhere. Just a brilliant example of classic, time-tested techniques culminating in one of the few almost-perfect beers in the world.

3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

upon pour a 2 finger head slowly dissipates fresh and filmy white ring with a golden yellow glow for color..smell is slight bananathen some clove with yeast and bread/malt kinda light imo..taste is better i get a nice fresh banana and clove and spice hit that finishes with a baked bread and malt taste..a hint of lemon..mouth feel is light/medium but crisp and refreshing nicely balanced as nothing fight for supremacy in this hefe..ive had some better domestic ones lately.maybe due to freshness..but this one is very good

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a tall weizen glass.

Cloudy orange in color, with a creamy 4-finger head that lasts and lasts. Promising.

There's a bit of a spicy nose, thanks to the yeast, likely coriander. There's also a nice lemony aroma to it. Intriguing.

The taste - bready up front, with spice. I'm also getting banana flavoring, some lemon (not much), with a sweet finish. Fascinating.

From a standpoint of mouthfeel, I have to say that I'm enjoying this brew. It's downright tasty.

Nicely drinkable German offering - I could have this one all night. I'm imagining schnitzel - yum.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Hazy light orange color. With an off white head. Head texture is extremely fluffy in appearance. Great head-retention as yell.

Smells of banana yeast esters. Also has malted wheat aroma.

Tastes of wheat in flavor. Smells very similar to how it tastes, no surprises here. Soft dose of bitterness at the end. Smooth sip, very tasty beer.

ON A SIDE NOTE: I could use some more hops in my beer both in bitterness and aroma. Although I would agree this beer is ideal for mass appeal. This is the only reason this beer did not get a perfect score from me. I feel awful being so critical. But I like what I like.

Amazingly drinkable. Not watery, but feels as smooth as water on the tongue.

Thank You Germany. I feel blessed for having tasted your beer.

Bottle from Binny's.

Pours hazy gold, big fluffy white head that stuck around...and around...and around.

Amazing aroma of banana, but not overpowering. Definitely some hints of clove, vanilla and rose (or some other flower that I can't name).

Taste had a little vanilla and spice, and a really well rounded sweet finish.

Pretty light mouthfeel and lively fizz on the tongue, but this really accentuated the flavor.

Overall, this brew went down far too easily. Hands down the best hefeweizen I've had and glad I finally got around to trying it.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan