Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
stephendr

3.88/5  rDev -12%

clear honey color - nice white frothy , long lasting head – nose of extreme candy banana , yeast , bubble gum , spice , and nutmeg – taste of apricots, nutmeg, yeast, bananas , honey , lemon , and spices -- medium body slightly oily – aftertaste sour red fruit, bananas , yeast

09-28-2006 04:17:47 | More by stephendr
Iguana

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

My first ever Hefeweizen here. Poured a pale golden color with a massive 3 inch head that almost spilled over the top of my pint glass. Smells of cloves, and sweet malts. Taste is similar to the smell, cloves, a real nice smooth sweetness, that almost gets a 2nd wind at the end of the sip. Hints of banana in there as well. My initial impression is that this is very similar to belgian witbier's. Mouthfeel is very smooth, with a great sweetness at the end of the taste that I am really enjoying. Drinkability, well I could see myself throwin quite a few of these back on a hot summer day, or after a bunch of work. A really great beer, seek this one out.

09-28-2006 01:22:48 | More by Iguana
dbalsock

Vermont

3.53/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Pours a murkey orange/apricot color with a full fluffy white head.

Smell: The aroma is full of bananas and wheat, with a bonus of melon.

Taste: Bananas again and the very heavy wheat taste complete the taste.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than other hefeweizen's I've tried, and is aided by a hint of alcohol on the swallow.

Drinkability: It's quite drinkable for the style, and on a hot day, but overall I'm not too impressed and would rather spend my money on a new beer than having this one again.

09-20-2006 14:20:05 | More by dbalsock
rkowalick

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a Pilsner glass from a 12 oz bottle. Nice looking light amber haze of beer with a beautiful white head. The smell has a lot going on. Lots of delicate lemon citrusy-ness, grains, and a pinapply edge. The taste is simply incredible. It opens with a wheaty, bready cirtusness. The wheat pulls through in the middle. The finish of this beer is what really amazed me: A smooth fruityness with a citrusy twang that hangs on the mouth for 5-10 seconds afterwards. The mouthefeel is carbanoted, light, and bready, like a wheat beer should be. The drinkability is also incredible: a session beer for sure. Definately an excellent Hefe-Wiezen and an excellent beer all around.

09-20-2006 03:06:02 | More by rkowalick
SudNut

Oklahoma

4.72/5  rDev +7%

This is one of my favorites along with the Schneider Weisse. Pours to a hazy yellow orange with lots of white foamy bubbles, mmm. The mouth feel is light having lots of gentle suds that hug your taste buds hello, whisking away to a nice banana fruity feel, ahhh this is why god made beer! No bitter after taste and leaving you wanting just a bit more. Sorry I got carried away there. I am drinking one as I write. Drink ability is great, if stranded on a desert island I would want a lifetime supply with a bottle opener! Respect the Hefe!

09-18-2006 18:00:48 | More by SudNut
lpayette

Vermont

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance- Cloudy orange- very traditional hefeweizen color. Huge white head as expected. Some lacing.

Smell- Typical hefeweizen smells- nothing shocking. Banana and clove, a bit bready, wheat is definitely prevalent.

Taste- Banana bread, has a traditional 55/45 (wheat/barley) taste to it. A bit sweet at moments. Yeast gives a bit of an unrefined taste to it at times also. Hints of citrus.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is right on for me. I wouldn't exactly call it a dry finish, but it does leave you thirsty for more.

Drinkability and other notes- This is an excellent beer- summer or not. It's easy to see why this is the top ranked Hefe Weizen on BA currently.

09-18-2006 06:41:29 | More by lpayette
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev -9.8%

Had on tap with a big slice of lemon. Poured to a nice hazy orange-red, with minimal head or lacing. Aroma was mostly wheat and bread, although some smell may have been overshadowed by the lemon. Taste was again, mostly wheat, bread and yeast, with a hint of clove spice. Finish was a little dry, though all and all, this was a good beer for a warm summer night.

09-17-2006 13:05:55 | More by kimcgolf
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

BB 21/02/2007. Served chilled in a proper, 500ml weizen glass.

A: pours a cloudy, bright orangey-yellow colour; the semi-lively carbonation supports a medium-thick white pillowy head that sustains throughout the drink. Very nice~~
S: sweet grainy and wheat-ish aroma with a touch of candyish sweetness upfront; a slightly ashy hop resins contradicts with very intense aroma of dried-mangos, sweet bananas, intensely sour-sweet fruity yeastiness, while the tinge of clove is pretty restrained at the back. The nose is richly fruity overall--not bad, but not complex enough.
T: smooth, light, and effervescent textured candyish, grainy and bready malts caresses the tongue... ensued by chewy, tartly-sweet (but not thin) fruitiness of green apples, mangos and green bananas--overall the malt-sweetness is balanced by just enough sour fruity hint... the yeastiness is much softer than most hefe-weizen I've tasted, rendering a balanced profile and a soothing wheat-ish grainy sweetness lingering in the finish aided with a suitable kick of of dryish-bitter spice at the fringe.
M&D: great balance, great body and creamy-fizzy texture, yet the flavour lacks some sparkles--amazingly delicious or weird edge of something... This beer is very easy to drink, enjoyable, and could hardly inflict criticisms thanks to its safe flavour profile; but the "traditional taste" (I imagine so) shown by this bottle doesn't give me the urge or passion to go for more than a bottle at any one time. A "good honest" hefe-weizen it is--not great one, alas.

09-16-2006 18:45:55 | More by wl0307
ghostmech007

3.48/5  rDev -21.1%

Weihenstephaner Hefe Wiessbier
12oz. Longneck

The beer looks great. A nice label claiming the oldest brewery in the world. Great golden coloring with a beautiful head and awesome lacing.

It's smells like my grandma's house for some reason... anyways. A great hops punch in the nose. Lots of spices and fruits. All these flavors just jumped up when I smelled. For some reason I didn't enjoy it as much as some other brews.

After I finally took a sip I wasn't very impressed for some reason. I had good flavoring and the blends of flavors really added to the experience but I still wasn't impressed by this. The hops punch it right at the beginning and it was really sweet on the tongue but something happened when I swallowed. I couldn't taste it anymore.

It has a good weight to it with a medium to full body feel but the sweetness really takes me out of the drinking experience. It still is good on the way down until I can't taste it anymore. Still one of the better brews out there but my experience was very bland.

I'll try it on tap next time.

09-13-2006 19:35:31 | More by ghostmech007
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Big head with little lacing. Head retention is very good and the color is golden brown and cloudy. The smell is bready with lemon, banana and clove that pair beautifully. The taste is like the perfect hefeweizen with more lemon and clove than banana. The mouthfeel is crisp with carbonation and very good for a hefeweizen. Overall I loved this beer and will have as many as possible.

09-13-2006 06:25:38 | More by Erdinger2003
rarevos

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Pored into weisse glass.

A: Hazy golden-yellow with big, fluffy, pillowy white head. Dissipates completely, but takes its sweet time doing so.

S: Oh my. Huge aroma. Wheat, lemon, banana, clove.

T: Wheat up front with some lemon, and the banana hits toward the middle and builds toward the end. Finish is clean, with an ever-so-slight bitterness with a long banana and bread tail.

M: Wonderfully chewy.

D: Hell yes. I could drink this all the time. It's very flavorful, not too alcoholic, and it can be either refreshing or warming: drink it at a cooler temp and it's a summer refresher, drink it a bit warmer and it's a banana bread-y comfort ale. Just a terrific beer. I prefer it warm.

09-12-2006 17:20:48 | More by rarevos
objectivemonkey

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Into a weizen glass, pours a murky yellow gold to yellow amber, with great head and stringy lacing. 7066 on the label, whatever that means. Nose has lots of banana and wheat, clove, slight breadytextbook German wiezen, in all the good ways.

Likewise with the taste and mouth, Weihenstephan is the gold standard of German beers, clean and crisp mouth, just the right carbonation, light but full. A beautiful balance of banana, bready malt, clove, just the slightest hop profile through the middle, and a little citric lemon.

They've been doing this for a thousand years, and it shows in this one. Fantastic. Fan-friggin-tastic.

09-11-2006 01:57:44 | More by objectivemonkey
FuzzyGuy84

3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

120z. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - WOW. Gorgeous and large pure white head. Cloudy, orange/yellow appearance w/no sediment. Perfect.

S - Mild smell of hops.

T - Really unique taste. Fruity, but tart. Quite malty. Almost a sugary aftertaste. Very complex, high marks are almost due more to this factor than taste.

M - Amazing. Very chewy, like a Hefe Weizen should be.

D - Somewhat drinkable, heaviness and bitters hold it back.

09-09-2006 14:42:04 | More by FuzzyGuy84
BarrelBrother

3.3/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hefeweiss style is one of my favorites, especially during the late spring and summer months. You can usually find Hacker-Pschorr or Paulaner Hefeweiss in my garage refrigerator while I'm working on the motorcycles getting them ready to ride as the weather starts to warm up here in the Chicagoland area. I was looking forward to trying this brew, but came away somewhat disappointed since it didn't impress me as I had hoped. Just came across as "average" and I expected more considering it's lofty position in the top 100 at BA. I'll surely give this one another go, but for now..

A: Typical cloudy straw yellow of a heffeweiss. More bottom sediment than I would have thought gave way to some chunky floaters. Not usual, I would think. Head was OK, but not like the wipped cream topping I usually see from my usual weiss beers.
S: I couldn't really get a solid aroma from this beer. Faint clove and banana fragrance, but not like the assertive nose banquet I'm used to from Hacker-Pschorr.
T: Pleasing, thirst quenching with a clean finish. Still the flavors were subdued compared to what I'm used to. Again I expected to be impressed.
M: Tartness lingers on the palate. Beer is smooth and has a crispness that is enjoyable. My favorite part of this beer. I really liked the finish.
D: I'm sure as with most beers of this style an afternoon session on the deck with the grill going and friends stopping by make this an easy drinking brew.

09-06-2006 03:11:21 | More by BarrelBrother
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

This beer poured a golden cloudy color with a persistent head. It had a mild floral smell. The taste was slightly floral, mild, well - balanced and delicate. The mouthfeel was slightly thin but smooth and mellow. This would be a very drinkable beer for many occasions.

09-04-2006 05:06:39 | More by barefootbrewer
schoolboy

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

I bought this beer at a World Bazzar type store - lots or beer and wine, but lots of baskets and rugs too. And this beer wasn't kept cold and could have been sitting there for a long time. But I couldn't believe I hadn't tried it since it has been around since a few hundred (917) years before me.

I have tried a number of other hefewiessen's (I was even in Bavaria a couple times as a young teen and drank some beer at that time). I also had tried some other stuff from very old breweries. I am usually not impressed - I'm more of an IPA/Stout/heavy duty kind of beer person. All this, plus a cheap price (5.99) led me to not expect too much.

I had the first one absolutely warm. It was great! Actually, I think warm is better than the 50 degree I kept them at after that. Store these cool, drink them warm. Enjoy, they are the real deal. I have since found these at a local (NE Ohio) carry out for around $9. I guess I need to head back to World Bazzar.

09-03-2006 22:26:04 | More by schoolboy
IntriqKen

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Beautiful cloudy yellow with a full 3 finger white head that melts to a wonderful stickiness.
Aroma is sweet wheat with a hint of lemon and a 'softness' I cannot put a name to which makes the aroma pleasantly addictive.
Taste is cracker wheat with light spiciness....a bright clove...and very, very llight lemon. Clove is very prominant and flavors so bright there is something desert-like in this light and refreshing treat.
Aftertaste is pleasant cracker-like drying
Definately the finest Heffe Weissbier I have ever had.

09-02-2006 19:41:43 | More by IntriqKen
jarsh

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Presentation: A brown bottle, I think it is 16oz? Says it is the Oldest Brewery in the World, oh the things you learn from drinking. No freshness date that I could find, just a 4 digit number, I assume this to be the batch number.

Appearance: Pours slightly cloudy, I swirled but not much yeast came out so it could have been better, my bad. Orangish in color with a nice white head that doesn't quit.

Smell: This is how a wheat beer should smell. Wheat malts, clove-y spices and citrus banana. Nice.

Taste: The taste is very evident in the aroma. Nice carbonated with a wheat malty backbone with notes of clove, citrus, banana and yeast. Clean and crisp, refreshing and delicious after mowing the lawn. I wish I had another.

Overall: I wasn't THAT big of a hefe fan until I had this. I will now compare all other hefe's to this. A great summer beer!

08-30-2006 15:31:31 | More by jarsh
cbros

3.6/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a rich deep tan color, with a little head. I could smell the fruitiness, a bannana type smell. It had a strong hefe taste that lasted after you swallowed. The aftertaste had hints of fruit flavorng but not overpowering, subtle but present. The mouthfeel presented as heavy with that fruitiness present.
This was shown to me by a clerk at the liqour store and I can see why. This is a good hefe weizen that has a strong flavor that does not over power the drinker. It's apperance, smell and taste are all solid in nature but never overpowering or overwhelming. I would definitely drink this again.

08-26-2006 23:51:48 | More by cbros
Dizzy

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Hazy golden color with fluffy white head which it retains for a long time. Aroma consists of cloves and a yeasty aroma. Taste is banana and cloves and a maybe bubblegum. Finish has slight hop bitterness. Medium mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. This is a great summer beer, a great beer to drink while watching baseball. I could drink several of these in a sitting.

The only drawback on this one is that it is probably old, since its imported. I can only imagine how good this would be if it were fresh.

08-23-2006 00:55:56 | More by Dizzy
TexIndy

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no apparent freshness date but there was a code on the back label. Was an cloudy honey color with couple fingers foam and good carb. Some lacing. Smell was fantastic - exactly what you expect in a great hefe. Tones of clove, banana, etc. The taste was incredible. This has been one of my top 5 for a long time. Actually suprised that I'm just now getting to reviewing it. Great mouthfeel as well. Great beer to try in general and a must if like Hefe's. Also has a permanent home in my fridge. (5.0,HR,T,Y,HOF)

08-22-2006 22:59:36 | More by TexIndy
Hibernator

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
12 oz brown bottle
Jet ink label on the back label that reads 4505
Served in a Schneider Weisse glass

Pours a murky and cloudy light mustard yellow. Huge, fluffy head on top that leaves incredible patterns of sticky lacings on the glassware. The head sustains a good size as I drink the beer down.

Super intense aroma of cloves, oranges and strong whiffs of yeast.

Doughy, juicy mouthfeel with a spicy clove quality and black pepper bite. MAJOR banana highlights with a touch of lemon citrus twang. Mini hop bitterness on the finish.

The drinkability level is purely ridiculous. So refreshing, enjoyable and thirst quenching. I could have this beer in the morning, afternoon or night. It's perfect on a hot August day like today.

I think this is one of the best hefeweizens out there. I love everything about it - the intense and ripe nose, complex flavors and the incredibly smooth drinkability level. Recommended.

08-17-2006 22:51:44 | More by Hibernator
BurnsTau

Alabama

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle.

Pours a hazy amber-yellow, large amount of head, settles after a bit of time and leaves good amount of lacing.

This is one great smelling, aromatic beer. Bannana cloves, sweetness, citrus and spice come together and produce a very appetizing smell.

The taste is just as good. Of course the sweetness is most apparent, a bit of a citrusy zing as well. One of the best features of this hefe is the mouthfeel, full and creamy with a perfect amount of carbonation, as well as an extremely refreshing taste just make this beer incredible through and through.

It's been a while since I've had one of these and it is even better than I remember. Truly one of the best, if not the best, hefe's I have ever had. Definitely worth seeking out and trying.

08-16-2006 23:21:43 | More by BurnsTau
JerzDevl2000

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

I had this on tap at the Hop Devil Grill in New York over the winter, and thought this was one of the most amazing beers I ever had. When I finally found it in bottles recently, I was very excited to try this and see if it could live up to how I remembered it. It wasn't the awe-inspiring brew I remember having on tap, but nevertheless, this is still an amazing beer and the benchmark against with all hefe's should be measured!

Very nice pour - I love the radiantly cloudy hue of this and the nearly overwhelming head. Like most hefe's, the lacing could be better, but what it lacks in that, it more than makes up in taste and mouthfeel. Banana, grass, clove, bubblegum, you name it - it's here, and it's an absolute joy to swish around. What puts it over the top is the mouthfeel. Carbonation everywhere, the taste lingers just right, but it never feels too light, forced, or tingly. Just loads of bubbles like Sierra Nevada, but no bitterness to go with it. A wonderful sense of effervescence and range of flavors are this brews hallmarks!

I felt a bit more citrus and remember the head being perfect when I had this on tap. Yes, the bottled version doesn't live up to that, but I have yet to taste a beer that was just as good in a 12 oz. serving as it was in a pint glass, right out of a freshly tapped pour. No matter - there's a great reason why this is #1 for hefe's and near the top of my list as well: The range of flavors, the enjoyingly easygoing nature of this beer, and the full mouthfeel are a deadly combination. You've been warned!

08-14-2006 07:11:37 | More by JerzDevl2000
bashiba

Iowa

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured a cloudy orange yellow with a creamy long lasting white head.

Smell is a good mix of Banana, Citrus, Clove, and some other spices.

Has a nice bit of yeasty flavor with banana, clove, Wheat and nice bit of lemony zip all making appearances.

Mouthfeel is smooth and very creamy with a nice bit of citrusy zip at the end for a crisp finish.

A very good and tasty Hefe. Fantastic session beer.

08-13-2006 01:29:39 | More by bashiba