Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
bigdeuce

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Hard to explain this hefeweizen. A most interesting session!! Most hefes pride themselves on the lemon/banana taste. This has almost a corny taste. It is really awesome!! I recommend it. Has a huge head, great mouthfeel, and an excellent summer session brew!

05-02-2006 01:20:42 | More by bigdeuce
WeisGuy

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

a - big white frothy head typical of this style, beautiful cloudy amber in color

s - fruity, yeasty aroma

t - very fruity, definitely picking up banana and some citrus

m - lots of carbonation, pretty light feeling

d - this could easily be a regular beer for me

I was very impressed with this one...it definitely lived up to the hype. I'll be enjoying this regularly from now on.

04-30-2006 00:35:22 | More by WeisGuy
haz77

Australia

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Pour cloudy amber/orange with a billowing white head that drops down to a fingers worth quite quickly. Lively looking carbonation. Poured into a hefeweissen glass.

S - Citrus and floral smell. Some cloves and esters in there too.

T - Malts up front, then a hit of lemon, yeast and cloves. Not much in the way of hops.

M - Crisp carbonation and slightly dry. Very nice.

D - Good hefeweissen, but maybe my expectation was set too high.

04-29-2006 16:42:19 | More by haz77
DogFood11

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Easily managed pour although this one requires being gentle, formed a big fluffy, fizzed up head, supported by lots of fine carbonation. Usual unfiltered body, golden with a touch of copper hue towards the core. Inviting is an understatement. Bannana and a delicate soft fruitiness comes alive in the aroma.

Everything except the carbonation in this beer is so delicate, soft and so well put together it could make a man cry. It's been a while since I enjoyed a beer that joined the "elite" class in my rankings but this fits the bill...why? there is a tender clove, bananna taste that makes up the bill but it is backed by some gentle malts that truly give this the backbone that so many miss out on. Lemon makes up the finish and it cleans up remarkably well. It was the opposite of so many american wheat beers that tend to be to grained up.

Notes: A subtle beer that is easily the best hefe I've laid lips on but also in my book one of the finest offerings for any style.

04-27-2006 02:37:00 | More by DogFood11
Ego

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

found on tap @ the peculiar pub right by NYU (bleeker st), I was in the area for work and popped on in for a pint, this place just brings back memories of the ole college days... this is not a style I go for too often but with hot college chicks abounding and nicer weather.. what the hell...

eyes...
frothy white pillowy head, cloudy pale straw haze but completely consistent in the entire glass (the bartender asked me about adding a lemon, I declined to taste this pure, kudos for at least asking!), the lacing and cling are absolutely superb, even hiding in the haze you can see the carbonation feeding the head and keeping it constant - absolutely flawless looking, I tried to find something wrong with this beer, and kept looking at it from different angles, but no, this thing was a goddamn beer postcard sent from beer paradise.

nose...
had a strange toasty smell (not off putting), there are hints of lemon floating and enticing you in the background, there is a subtle spiciness to it with mild fruit notes like bannana... I loved sniffing this thing even if it wasn't crazy complex or fascinating, it smelled great and the smell was strong, you didn't have to work to get at the tones here, there is also some grain prescence, I was impressed.

taste etc.
somewhat full in the mouth, the carbonation rolls around carrying this lovely libation all around your mouth in a surreal fashion. you can literally roll this around on your tongue back and forth to enjoy the sensation of silk/velvet liquid... amazing and flawless in that department. the wheat coats and sticks in the mouth furnishing the strongest aftertaste I think I have come across for a hefe. there are tones of toffee and noogat (you know, that unidentified crap in candy bars), as I rolled it in my mouth I just couldn't get over the complexity of this little heffer, the carbonation even has a little prickly bite to it, very small, which just accents the experience that much more. it is almost lip smacking refreshing but yet has nutty and toasty tones that really grab the attention of your pallette, it is in a sense dry and yet refreshing.. and complex.

verdict?
I had to run out and grab a bottle of this on the way home.. and the bottle does not do this justice. still great out of a bottle but the mouthfeel is no where near the experience I had this afternoon. This was the best $5 I spent in a long time... this one was nearly flawless, I wish half the hefes I huff where as bad ass as this monster brew, outstanding.

04-25-2006 02:58:58 | More by Ego
daliandragon

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Just spent an unseasonably warm April day moving my sister and her roommate from old to new apartments about nine blocks apart in Boehrum Hts in Brooklyn. On the way back stopped at the beer delis on Atlantic avenue and stocked up on some quality singles. Figuring this was a good way to reward my toil: the highest rated Hefe on the site.
Beautiful thick white puffy cloud style head and healthy lacing coat the upper reaches and the body is spot on in color and cloudiness. Banana and clove are where they're suppossed to be smellwise along with some citrus notes and yeastiness.
Light in texture and carbonation but taste is full if somewhat muted. Balanced mouthfeel and texture makes this for easy drinking. The taste is clean in finish and very satisfying and refreshing. Quenching is the word that comes to mind. I am now quenched.
Yeah, I'll be looking for this again this summer although its excellent, its more difficult for me to find than Paulaner and Erdinger, who make very good (and easier to acquire) hefes.

04-20-2006 22:39:58 | More by daliandragon
orsulacp

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

The beer poured a cloudy yellow with a persistent fluffy white head. It smells good, a nice banana and a bit of clove. The taste is very good; my first impression is a sweet banana, then slight hit of vanilla with the cloves finishing it off. It is well carbonated and has a creamy mouthfeel, very refreshing. This is easily the best hefeweissen I've had so far.

04-19-2006 16:54:38 | More by orsulacp
jamesdergen

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with a big sticky, foamy white head that sticks around and laces nicely.

S: Wheat, bananas, sweet grains and a hint of vanilla.

T: Big tasty wheat flavors up front with candy banana, a hint of cloves and vanilla. Delicious and refreshing!

M&D: Smooth, light and refreshing. This brew goes down easy and does not sit heavy. Carbonation is just right.

I've had this one before, but had to revisit it with the weather heating up. I enjoying this bottle with a friend after 18 holes of disc golf. Perfect!

04-18-2006 23:00:34 | More by jamesdergen
BadBadger

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

The Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is a very refreshing beverage. This pours out of the bottle and into the glass a cloudy golden color. There is plenty of foamy white head present. The smell has a nice wheaty-fruity fragerance, with a bit of yeast. The taste is faintly sweet, with nicely balanced citrus undertones. There is a crispness to the after taste. This beer and Paulaner rank as bench marks for a hefe weizen. While not the type of beer to be searched for, it it definitely worth grapping and giving a try, if you see it on the shelf.

04-18-2006 22:22:02 | More by BadBadger
sammy44

Alabama

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

This was a great beer. Poured a cloudy opaque yellow with a massive rocky white head. Smelled of yeast and citrus and tasted the same. The mouthfeel is hard to describe. The best I could come up with is that the beer felt "juicy" like biting into an orange. I could have several of these at a sitting. Excellent!

04-05-2006 12:45:06 | More by sammy44
geexploitation

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours murky gold with a huge head. The nose is full of yeast and clove and a touch of citrus. It's very warm and inviting. Tasting this beer, the first thing that comes out is some sweet wheat, then bananas, and then a nice creamy clove flavor at the end. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated yet smooth and very refreshing. This beer is a bit thin on the tongue, but very tasty and easy to drink. Overall, one of the best hefeweizens I've had, but probably not THE best I've had.

04-05-2006 01:48:55 | More by geexploitation
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

I had this on tap at the brewery restaurant on March 20, 2006.

A: Cloudy straw, fluffy off-white head, good retention and lace.

S: Bready malt, slight citrus.

T: Bready, citrus, some spice. Clean, smooth & well balanced.

M: Light to moderate body is creamy. Moderate carbonation.

D: Exceptional. (I think they make some of the MOST drinkable beers).

04-04-2006 23:36:04 | More by Derek
akahn

3.78/5  rDev -14.3%

Bright opaque yellow color. Pillow, cloud-like head. Impressive puffy lacing. Faint aroma, light and wheaty. Sweet, tart flavor. Definite banana-like notes. Clean finish, but leaves a black pepper spiciness. Light bodied but not watery. Ample carbonation, yet still creamy. Super quaffable.

04-03-2006 03:52:00 | More by akahn
Callenak

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Just grabbed a bottle of this from my local liquor store.

A: Murky as a good hefe should be. Great consistency with lots of yeast shaken from the bottom of the bottle.

S: Even a lot of Bavarian hef's that have the banana and clove's taste to them, don't always have it in the bouquet. This one does, great scent, nice and fresh.

T: Big wheat flavor! The banana and cloves flavoring from the yeast is far from subtle. Everything a great Hefe should be. The consistency was great. By no means watery.

Overall, where it should be, one of the top Hefe's in the world. Mine tasted fresh, but I didn't know how to decipher the date code on back to know for sure. Never can tell with beers coming from overseas. I will definitely be picking up more of these for the warmer months to come, and at $2.50 for a 16.3 oz bottle, how can you go wrong.

03-30-2006 17:44:07 | More by Callenak
weizendoc

3.43/5  rDev -22.2%

.5 liter bottle from BevMo poured into my frozen Franziskaner weissglas. I smell cloves and bananna as I pour with the bottle inverted. Big frothy head fills the glass to overflow. Let the head settle and swish in the last bit of hefe.
This is not one of my favorite Bavarian hefs when compared to the Paulaner and HackerPschorr masterpieces, but it is very good and drinkable indeed. Bananna, clove, spice, bubblegum flavors appear as the usual characters. It's most unique characteristic was hints of grapefruit and perhaps pineapple. Nothing unlikeable about it, but I think it lacks a bit in mouthfeel compared to others.

03-28-2006 04:01:05 | More by weizendoc
Severum27

New Hampshire

3.4/5  rDev -22.9%

I have had this beer a few times. After sampling a variety of German Hefeweissens, I am not too partial to this one.

Pours with a one inch white head that doesn't stay around. Not typical of German Hefies I prefer. The color is a clear golden color with traces of organics floating around. There is no lace to speak of.

The smell hints at banana. Medium mouth feel. Not heavy, but I can detect the alcohol in it. Lots of malt in the taste and a nice after taste. I couldn't drink too many of these... Gotta try the dark wheat they offer soon.

03-24-2006 00:09:11 | More by Severum27
Tupperwolf

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a hazy, glowing apricot amber capped with a perfect, snowy white head taht leaves behind curls of lacing - A perfect way to break in my new weizen glass, it looks absolutely perfect.

Warm, fruity-spicy notes, almost a belgian-yeast aroma, are present in addition to big bursting swirls of banana and marshmallow. Little to no hops are present - it's a delicious malty, yeasty scent.

Absolute perfection to taste! Banana, apricot, slight clove - sugar, very low hop bitterings.

Crisp, soft, swirling, tasty. The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated, light to medium body, and finishes with a lovely caramel stickiness.

Final thoughts: About as good as a hefeweizen gets.

03-20-2006 04:28:23 | More by Tupperwolf
SERENGETI

Tanzania

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

If you are in Weihenstephan and want a Weissbeer you have two choices, this one and HUBER (the better one in my opinion). Pronounced fruityness, very lively, pleasanr bitterness. This beer is best when drinking it at the Weihenstephan Braustuuberl beergarden amidst student brewmasters!

03-14-2006 07:56:48 | More by SERENGETI
eb003

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

My fellow BAs, once again you have provided flawless direction into my beer explorations. I tried this one due to the ratings it received amongst the "hefes" and "weiss beers". As you all were correct about Aventinus... you were also with this one. I am not disappointed by your knowledge and recommendations.

The appearance is good and cloudy like a hefe should be. The smell is very aromatic...hints of wheat and I think a bit citrus-like. The taste is very clean, very nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth. I rate this one high on drinkability because--well--put a hose from the tap and let me sip all day.

I'm a big Franzikaner fan and I didn't think I'd ever find a beer to rival it. Well, this one does. My fellow BAs if you ever in your life want to try a good "hefe"... I highly recommend this one. My personal favorite of Franziskaner is also a good choice. I have to rate this one as high as my personal fav, though. This is just one great Hefe, in my humble opinion.

03-12-2006 04:00:00 | More by eb003
shbobdb

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Well now, this is a freakin' Hefeweizen! It looks a cloudy straw colour with a head that won't go away. Just like a Weizen should look. In the taste department, it is a little thinner than the Ayinger offering; however, when drinking from a Mass, that's actually a good thing.

A pleasant, simple Weizen. Really top notch.

03-04-2006 18:57:44 | More by shbobdb
assurbanipaul

3.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a light translucent gold with a massive cloud-like white head. Aroma is yeasty, slightly citrus, and a slightly unfamiliar sourness. Took two pours to empty the bottle.

Taste is light and wheaty, barely sweet. Lots of toast and yeast going on in the flavors, the barest hint of lemon (although served sans), some more fruit and banana emerges as it warms. A slight lingering musty element, may be due to a bottle that's a little older than prime. Not quite as complex as I think it should be, lacks a lot of the strong clovey/peppery/banana flavors expected from a hefe.

Mouthfeel is chewy due to the wheat but not really thick. Has some texture to it. I understand the reputation but I've had some better hefes brewed in the US. (This may just be a fact of life, that this beer/style might not travel well in the slightest.)

03-04-2006 02:40:24 | More by assurbanipaul
NJpadreFan

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Weihenstephaner- Hefeweiss

Appearance- murky yellow/ orange with a huge head. Had to stop pouring wait a bit and continue. Laced heavily and the head lasted to the bottom of the glass.
Smell- Banana bread. Cloves and wheat.
Taste- bananas and cloves.
Mouthfeel- velvetly smooth. starts off creamy and finishes off mouth and throat warming smooth.

Overall- Wow! This is one damn fine Hefe. The best I've sampled yet. I'll definitely recommend this to friends.
This would've gotten 5's from me but it might become a little sweet and cloying after a few.

03-03-2006 20:34:25 | More by NJpadreFan
whynot44

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

A nice hazy apricot color with an impressive off-white head that persists well and leaves lots of nice lace.

The aroma is classic hefe weizen, cloves, tangy wheat, yeast, bananas, juicy fruit gum and fresh bread.

The cloves hit with a blast right up front and persist into the aftertaste, but is soon joined by bananas, wheat, light malt, vanilla and bubblegum.

Medium bodied, smooth, easy to drink and refreshing. One of the better "hefes". Definitely worth a try if you like that style. If you haven't tried it this would be a good start.

03-03-2006 03:43:08 | More by whynot44
alexgash

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +5%

Beautiful hazy copper brass body. Tall, creamy, light-sandy white head with yeast debris. Nose is classic, archetypal hefeweizen: yeast, tangy wheat, banana, banana bead, cloves (mucho), and bubblegum. Classic taste too. Very tasty too boot. Crisp, tangy wheat. Bready, banana, clove, yeast, yum. Medium-bodied. Protein-rich feel. Dry finish. Refreshing, classic, delicious.

03-03-2006 01:02:45 | More by alexgash
Hautacam

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours out hazy yellow-orange..with a huge white head. Foams and settles down to about 1/8". Beautiful stuff !
Smells great....bread dough, clove, yeast and big bubblegum scent.
Taste is mild..clove, bubblegum, sweet malt and a hint of citrusy hop. Really well balanced.
Mouthfeel is very good...light to medium..good carbonation, with a semi-soapy finish. Bubblegum after taste.
Pretty drinkable, although, I would probably be looking for something more intense after a few glasses.
I've tried a few Hefe's now...mostly out of curiosity...did not think I would like this lighter style of beer...but they are growing on me.. and I think this is the best one I've had so far.

03-02-2006 00:43:50 | More by Hautacam