Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
whynot44

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

A nice hazy apricot color with an impressive off-white head that persists well and leaves lots of nice lace.

The aroma is classic hefe weizen, cloves, tangy wheat, yeast, bananas, juicy fruit gum and fresh bread.

The cloves hit with a blast right up front and persist into the aftertaste, but is soon joined by bananas, wheat, light malt, vanilla and bubblegum.

Medium bodied, smooth, easy to drink and refreshing. One of the better "hefes". Definitely worth a try if you like that style. If you haven't tried it this would be a good start.

03-03-2006 03:43:08 | More by whynot44
alexgash

4.63/5  rDev +5%

Beautiful hazy copper brass body. Tall, creamy, light-sandy white head with yeast debris. Nose is classic, archetypal hefeweizen: yeast, tangy wheat, banana, banana bead, cloves (mucho), and bubblegum. Classic taste too. Very tasty too boot. Crisp, tangy wheat. Bready, banana, clove, yeast, yum. Medium-bodied. Protein-rich feel. Dry finish. Refreshing, classic, delicious.

03-03-2006 01:02:45 | More by alexgash
Hautacam

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours out hazy yellow-orange..with a huge white head. Foams and settles down to about 1/8". Beautiful stuff !
Smells great....bread dough, clove, yeast and big bubblegum scent.
Taste is mild..clove, bubblegum, sweet malt and a hint of citrusy hop. Really well balanced.
Mouthfeel is very good...light to medium..good carbonation, with a semi-soapy finish. Bubblegum after taste.
Pretty drinkable, although, I would probably be looking for something more intense after a few glasses.
I've tried a few Hefe's now...mostly out of curiosity...did not think I would like this lighter style of beer...but they are growing on me.. and I think this is the best one I've had so far.

03-02-2006 00:43:50 | More by Hautacam
kgotcher

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a beautiful opaque pale orange with a nice head that thins down as expected. Aroma is amazing with banana, clove, vanilla, its all in there. Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body. Great flavor with lots of malt and fruity weizen yeast. This is the best weizen I've had, smooth fruity yeast flavor and wheat malt balance. Very nice and extremely enjoyable.

03-01-2006 05:25:06 | More by kgotcher
Matthew

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Wow, what a fantastic looking beer. Pours a deep yellowish golden color and is very cloudy like most unfiltered wheat beer. The head on this beer is just absolutely ridiculous. Nice inch of creamy white head that has great retention. Wow.
Green bananas, sweet wheat malts, lots of yeast, slight clove spice dominate the nose but not quite as potent smelling as I expected.
Nice crisp yeasty esters smack the palate and bring a nice spice character up front to follow. Really delicious and a very refreshing beer. Incredibley tastey and smooth. A real treat anytime you crack one open.

02-21-2006 20:00:29 | More by Matthew
Jredner

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Who knew hot dog juice could taste so good? This is the one beer where my wife has to make apologies and not me. I don’t get this beer and she swears by it. Taste funky to me. The ONLY thing that keeps the rating high is that NOTHING tastes like this. She just got a sixer of it so it’s freah and it tastes like it always does. Hot dog watery. I’ll concede it still tastes "good" but then I like hot dogs. Just not something I could drink a lot of.

02-18-2006 00:24:22 | More by Jredner
pbr85

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass
A: Pours a hazy yellow with a fluffy, one inch head.
S: Wheat smells with a pungent odor of yeast.
T: Sweet malty sourdough bread is the first thing that hits the tongue. Lemons blended into the beer become prominent after a second or two. There is a slight bitter taste that finish well with the beer.
M: Good carbonation, goes down extremely smooth.
D: Very drinkable for any beer, though I would expect it out of a 5.4%. This is something that I would love to have sitting around.
Notes: Very good. I would think this a good gateway beer for those of us with friends addicted to Bud. No flavor is too strong but the beer is balanced and finishes clean and smooth.

02-17-2006 03:53:04 | More by pbr85
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.6/5  rDev -18.4%

I just tasted this beer after an Ettaler Helles Weizen. The main difference was the milder taste and smell of the Wiehenstephaner.
Colour was orange and murky, with a very stabile head.
Smell was slightly phenolic and clear wheat smell, fresh
Taste slightly banana, cloves, lots of carbonation, fresh, with a dry aftertaste.
Being a classic amongst the Weizen beers, I found this one to be a bit bland, but nevertheless a good beer.

02-16-2006 18:41:53 | More by Absumaster
Rezzin

4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Hazy amber golden color. Beautiful thick and creamy white head that slowly drops leaving wonderful lacing. There's still a thin layer sitting on top of my beer. Looks delicious.

S - Wheat, bananas, maybe some orange and a little spice. There are other aromas present that I can't pin my finger down on - perhaps it's the yeast. My rookie palate and nose need more exposure to german hefe's.

T - How do I explain the taste? Complex. Sweet, spicy, yeasty, citrusy. I'm not used to all these flavors all at once but it tastes good. I'm used to american variaty but this is a welcome change of pace. I think I detect some clove but I'm not sure.

M - Refreshingly carbonated - feels like a zillion tiny bubbles in my mouth with every sip. Starts smooth, almost creamy I'd say with a crisp/tart finish.

D - This beer was recommended to me by a friend and I think he made a good suggestion! This beer is definitely different from what I am accostomed to drinking but it's very good. I would most definitely buy this again. In 1 word: Refreshing.

02-16-2006 00:38:33 | More by Rezzin
RedHaze

Nebraska

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a very hazy pale yellow topped with a two finger frothy head that slowly settles to a nice cap that stays throughout the entire beer and leaves behind lots of lacing.

Smell; really nice yeasty smell with a slightly over ripe bananas. There's a bit of lemony citrus going on as well as some cloves.

Taste; wheat and yeast stand out along with the bananas, there's also some of that citric lemon and cloves. It has a bit of a spicy hoppiness in the finishand just a bit on the dry side. Mouthfeel is is medium bodied, with nice carbonation, and goes down so smooth.

02-13-2006 03:26:17 | More by RedHaze
therica

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

A= Pours a huge white fluffy foamy sloshy head with little bitters and lots of floral intrigue. Dirty-yellow hue which is perfect for a heffe-weisse. The appearance is moderately cloudy, about average for a weissbier. Nice profusely-rising small carbonation bubbles that just keep coming and coming.

S= The nose is very nice-- almost a rose-bouquet scent to it. The flavor matches. I have to wonder if maybe there's some rose-hips added in the formula.

T= Taste-- even the head is delightful to slurp. The beer is a nice modestly-carbonated mix of floral, fruits, mild honey, clove, all sorts of things going on here to keep one busy. I do get a strong bubblegum-aftertaste. In fact, my first impression was that it tasted like gun-poweder until my tastebuds began to focus.

M= Clean. Occasional bubblegum. Sometimes a slightly saccharine-sweet taste depending on what you've been eating.

Drinkabiliby-- til the cows come home or until you decide to switch to something darker and fuller to finish the evening. This is a noteably fine beer, with an exceptionally up-front surprising taste to it.

02-11-2006 20:01:57 | More by therica
tkarsies

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

This was my very first wheat beer. Served from 500 mL bottle in pint glass; sadly no weizen glass at home. Poured a hazy gold color with HUGE white head that lasted forever. Left large amount of lacing. Mild, sweet doughy wheat smell.
Prominent wheat taste, very sweet. Noticeable banana and slight taste of bubblegum present. No bitterness to be found. Minimal carbonation that decreased as beer warmed. Very creamy mouthfeel. Easy to drink, refreshing. Took getting used to the different flavor present with the wheat.

02-08-2006 15:47:57 | More by tkarsies
rhoadsrage

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer has a slightly hazy straw yellow body with a dense carbonation of tiny bubbles. The head is a snow white creamy foam that last and last. As it rises about the rim it holds its shape.

S- Very nice fruity notes with hints of banana and a nice smooth slightly sweet wheat aroma. There is a faint bread note but no bubblegum or clove aroma.

T- This beer has a nice soft wheat flavor with some bright notes of lemon which is complemented by a subtle banana flavor. The finish has a very faint noble hop, dry finish. There is a very faint carbonic bite but it enhances the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a creamy texture. There is no real fizz taste in the mouthfeel but I'm sure it is in the creamy texture.

D- This beer has good complexity but it is very soft. No bubblegum and the banana is secondary not the main player. It is a well-built beer and I'm sure lots of years went into getting it just right.

02-05-2006 02:32:44 | More by rhoadsrage
Citadel82

This is as fine a hefeweizen as any I have tried. I like the fact that it is cleaner and milder with less banana and cloves than many of the others that I have sampled.

Pours a hazy pale straw with a generous white head that fades and leaves plenty of fluffy lace and fades to a flat pancake of foam that never quite goes away entirely.

Smell is faint yeast and floral hop notes with a doughy cracked wheat scent.

Taste is clean and light with wheat malt evident and less fruit than any hefe's that I have tried. Just clean and light and balanced.

Mouth feel is light with abundant tingly carbonation.

All in all a very drinkable brew.

02-04-2006 23:27:35 | More by Citadel82
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Giant soapy billowy whiteish head that settles to about 1/8 inch, but never disappears. Cloudy yellow body with carbonation bubbles rising. Cant find any faults in the appearance. Everything looks perfect.

Fruity banana scent with yeast and wheat underneath. Mouth watering.

Extremely refreshing taste. Light bodied and the epitome of well-balanced. Fruity and mild.

Light, easy mouthfeel. The head retention makes for an interesting carbonated experience.

A great-for-anytime beer. Pretty much a flagship beer for how a hefe weizen should be. I bet this is even more amazing in the summer.

02-02-2006 22:39:12 | More by chOAKbarrell
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured into hefe glass.
Nice pour, cloudy deep yellow glow with various bubbles for the head that laced and lingered.
I smelled a bit of lemon, grass, peach, hops and some malt.
the lemon and grass were dominate throughout the taste. Hops, peach, honey and a little malt came later. Good crisp feel to it. I should have drank it colder. Nice beer

02-01-2006 21:45:29 | More by Mebuzzard
ToggleEyes

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

I have steered clear of this beer for a while since the last time I tried it my face broke out. This time no problems at all. Anyway, now that I can appreciate it for its taste and not for it causing a rash I am delited to say that this is a very tasty beer. Poured out a burned orange/ yellow. it quickly filled half my glass with foam and I only got half the bottle in. After the pilowy foam calmed down the taste of sweet wurt, clove, wheat, and tart hops hit my tounge. The mouthfeel has just the right amount of carbonation and is smooth. A very clean crisp beer. Its very easy to drink when its very cold, the warmer it got the more bitter it became with hops coming through. It's sure nice to know I can still drink this beer with confidence.

02-01-2006 01:10:49 | More by ToggleEyes
klewis

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

16.9 oz. bottle

A: Pours a light golden color with a massive frothy head and a rush of carbonation. This head ain't going away without a fight.

S: Strong aromas of clove, banana, and lemon with some yeast

T: This is very typical of a hefe with flavors of spice, banana, and citrus, but the intensity of the flavors will knock you on your ass. All flavors are very well balanced with each other. Quite impressive.

M: Medium-bodied, and despite the resilent carbonation, this beer is somewhat smooth on the palatte.

D: The best hefe I've had to date. I need more.

01-31-2006 01:49:21 | More by klewis
drewmprs

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

This is one fine hefe. Tastes like Germany. I sure wish I could try this one off the tap, but there's nowhere that has it. Light straw color. Rich, creamy head that lasts throughout the beer. 5.4% abv, brewed under the purity law of 1516. I paid 2.99 at hollingshead. Definitely worth purchasing again, one of the best hefes i've had from the bottle.

01-30-2006 04:12:31 | More by drewmprs
Andreji

Colombia

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

A lucky stop at the airport in Munchen flying from BCN to WIE finally allowed me the chance to taste "the Weizen of Weizens".

I won´t really elaborate much on describing what it is like.

It was pleasant and tasteful, however not my favourite weizen. the flavour was a bit too mild for my taste (lurking ever more into the belgian strengths). but that made it also very desirable to consume. it also allows for a bit more elaborate tasting, and the complexity that is more subtle is still abundant.

very nice beer all-in-all, although not the mother of all weizens for me.

01-16-2006 02:26:30 | More by Andreji
danielocean03

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured a cloudy, golden amber color into a weizen glass. Very thick, foamy white two finger head lasted nearly two minutes before falling to moderate lacing. Smells sweetly of bread, citrus, hints of spices, clove. Tastes very similar to the smell, although more complex. Taste has more of a finshing citrus/ lemon rind bite at the end, although is not in the least bit bitter. Moderately carbonated, this is easily one of the best examples of a hefe weizen I have had the pleasure of sampling this weekend, or ever for that matter. Mouthfeel starts carbonated that quickly changes to smooth and creamy. Very drinkable, less spiced than the other hefes I've had here recently.

01-16-2006 00:54:25 | More by danielocean03
bennetj17

Arizona

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Cloudy, with a great head of foam, this brew has a very golden yellow color with yet a hint of an orange hue. Sun-colored perhaps. The head dissipates somewhat into a nice foamy ring. The smell is citrusy and floral, with cloves present. The taste is lemony, bready, with more cloves, a little spice too. It has a big mouthfeel with loads of bubbles. Very clean and refreshing, it goes down easy.

01-15-2006 05:57:24 | More by bennetj17
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

WOW! I was blown away by this beer. My fear of foreign beers is brought about by simply region/locale prejudice.

I believe this is the first "5" I've given in the appearance category. Simply awesome. Unrelenting head, upwards of 1 inch, deep gold color, radiant.

Very earthy, musty beer. Slight lemon zest with interesting hop body. Extremely clean on the palate, very smooth.

Downed the 20oz.? bottle in no time, I'd imagine a great session beer. A true gem.

01-05-2006 01:32:16 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
budsboy

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a deep straw color, barely cloudy, with a boistrous head that settles down to a rocky white cap.

Aroma is clove, corriander backed with a rich fruit/banana, dark berry and lemon zest.

Strong flavors ... sweet malt backbone with a heavy dose of clove and corriander, banana, touch of phenols, licorice, and lemon at the end. Makes use of every bit of the 5.4% ABV.

Clean, smooth and medium bodied. Bright carbonation, puckering slightly at the finish.

Enjoyable beer, truly. Bold and flavorful, a big wheat that is well balanced. Professionally crafted.

01-05-2006 01:23:29 | More by budsboy
EvilKeith

Alabama

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Suprisingly light in color for a hefe. Fluffy off-white head, moderate retention. Love the murky cloudiness.

S- Fruity citrus with yeast traces.

T- Wheaty (is that a word?), yeasty with hints of citrus.

M- Light in texture, smooth on the palate. Goes down cleanly.

D- A true classic hefe. I could drink this one year round.

12-31-2005 21:31:25 | More by EvilKeith