Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by pezoids on 01-22-2001

Reviews: 2,438 | Ratings: 7,866

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 ounce bottle.

A- Cloudy golden color, nice, big white head with some retention on the glass.

S- Spicy, banana, clove with some herbal notes.

T- Nice mildly sweet wheat flavor.

M- Smooth and very carbonated.

O- Very refreshing beer. Incredibly easy to drink, decent price depending where you get it.

I am not a major German beer fan, but this is probably my favorite of all time. Very well balanced with a very complex flavor. I get hints of sweetness and the carbonation is perfect.

Golden straw with big fluffy white head when poured. Smells of banana, wheat, and overall sweetness. The taste was a little muted but still good. Again, a wheat bite and banana flavor that reminds me of Runts. Mouthfeel was good as expected, not too much carbonation and very crisp. I could let it rest on my tongue all day this summer. This is a good beer in every aspect. Nothing too exceptional to me but definitely above average. I'd say it's among the top hefes for me and at a good price. Try it, you'll probably like it.

From the overall reviews I was expecting a little bit more from this beer but I enjoyed the experience.
Very as-per-style all around. Some coriander in the flavor, slight banana, a lemon tang going on, that wheaty mouthfeel I've come to expect from the style.
Light, easy drinking, hazy cloudy beer goodness.
A top 100 beer? I dunno.
Definately a good hefe weizen.

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, classy, classic label; Some date code that I'm not exactly sure what it means, but I THINK it's at least brewed in 2011, which I'll take, considering I've seen examples that are over 2 years old on the shelf.

Appearance: Hazy dark straw gold beer, with a nice cream-colored cap which, surprisingly, fades a bit fast for my liking.

Smell: Requisite sweet/tart banana aromas, with plenty of spice in the background. A couple of swirls really brings out the spice aromas. Very slight hint of citrus in the background, as well as something nicely floral as this warms a bit.

Taste: Banana and sweet spice (no particular baking spice is coming out here, though I think perhaps I get a slight hint of clove). Slightly tangy wheat backbone, with light, if firm bitterness. All in all, it's a bit like banana bread, though w/out the typical caramelly/burnt sugar notes that confection often (though not always) has.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and refreshing

Overall: A really tasty Hefeweizen. Is it the world's best, like I once thought? I don't know, though it's certainly top-tier. I do have to say, however, that it's no longer quite my favorite. Overall, however, certainly a tasty offering.

One of the German's remaining monastic brewers.
Appearence : Pale unfiltered wheat beer
Smell : Ginger and clove aroma
Taste : Hallertau hop give to the beer a spicy and pepper aroma, with a banana and vanilla taste
Mouthfeel : Ginger finish
Drinkability : A typical spicy wheat beer

Thierry (14/10/2007)

Pours out leaving a massive head in the glass. A mild, spicy yeast scent hits me as I go in for a sip.

Cloudy gold color. A rush of tiny carbonated bubbles surge to the surface.

Smooth. Highly drinkable. A clove-like presence is there, but not too overwhelming.

Brewed under the purity law on 1516, as per the bottle. A real pleasant treat overall. Perfect for a warm summer day (or a cold December night, like I am doing).

On tap at Blind Tiger. Pours an amber orange color with a white foam head. Has an nice aroma of orange and fresh bouquet. Has a lemon zest taste with notes of banana and clove. Very tasty witbier. Similar to others but a lot smoother. The perfect beer when relaxing with the woman.

This is as fine a hefeweizen as any I have tried. I like the fact that it is cleaner and milder with less banana and cloves than many of the others that I have sampled.

Pours a hazy pale straw with a generous white head that fades and leaves plenty of fluffy lace and fades to a flat pancake of foam that never quite goes away entirely.

Smell is faint yeast and floral hop notes with a doughy cracked wheat scent.

Taste is clean and light with wheat malt evident and less fruit than any hefe's that I have tried. Just clean and light and balanced.

Mouth feel is light with abundant tingly carbonation.

All in all a very drinkable brew.

Hazy deep straw yellow pour with a big fluffy white head. Banana, orange, bubblegum, and a somewhat subdued clove in the nose. There's a malty, bready sweet aroma as well. Taste is earthy banana, bubblegum, and spice as well as a slight touch of lemon. Very smooth with a nice dry finish. Maybe I was hoping for too much from this considering the hype I've heard, but this one let me down a touch. I know I'm in the minority, but I personally prefer Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse to this. It's a good solid beer, but not super IMHO.

Pale yellow, turns to golden orange as yeast is swirled in. Big fluffy cloud-like head settles to a white bubbly cap.

Smells of crisp wheat, with the standard banana and spicy clove notes. Not very outstanding, but pleasant and to style.

Light bodied, with mild banana notes and some bubblegum. Crisp finish.

Light and refreshing with nothing out of the ordinary. Just a solid wheat beer, with some good yeasty fun.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier is truly an aesthetic beauty in the pint glass. An inch of creamy, buff-beige head retains effortlessly atop a hazy, golden-orange body. Carbonation everywhere, the head just won't go away. Decent lacing left along the drinking side of the pint. The aroma a nice blend of banana, bubblegum and clove. Sweet, wheat-heavy breaded malts, vanilla cream, and orange zest round out the delectable scent.

Yeasty banana, thick wheat, and pale malt give the flavor a quaffable, sweet body. I can see how this beer has achieved its worldwide popularity, as it's easily one of the more drinkable beers I've come across. Mouthfeel is creamy and semi-thick for a Hefeweizen, with a peppery bite and a smooth, refreshing finish. I was quite impressed with this one, and I will definately be having it again at some point (hopefully on-tap next time).

Pours cloudy yellow, nice thick foamy head, leaves a clingy lace in the glass, aroma of wheat and bananas, banana-clove yeasty flavor. Light body, clean and crisp, very refreshing one of my favorites, always good.

Bottle Pours a hazy straw color with a generous white head. The head lasts well. Has a good aroma of wheat and sweet fruits. Has good carbonation. The flavor is not as sweet as I thought it would be, it is muted nicely by light bitterness and nice hints of spices. This is well balanced. Has a dry texture. I would give it a light body. Has a good finish with a nice aftertaste. This is a easy drinking good beer.

Not my preferred style of beer but i liked it very much. taste starts with a spice/banana taste then mellows out into a slight fruit floral flavor. good stuff.

A - a murky orange-gold color with a beautiful foamy white head that settles pretty quickly

S - a citrusy nose with some notes of pepper and yeast

T - a nice earthy yeast flavor with hints of citrus and clove; minimal hop bitterness with a dry finish

M - complex and full bodied with a nice balance of crispness from carbonation

D - a superbly delicious and drinkable beer from weihenstephaner, although, in my opinion, not as good as their original lager

Gold and hazy in colour with strong carbonation. Typical hefeweizen aromas of vanilla, clove, banana, and a bit of citrus. Nice tangy wheat flavor, with more vanilla and banana in the mouth. A bit of spicy hops on the finish too. Very nice full mouthfeel that still refreshes. Definitely more on the vanilla/clove end of the spectrum, with the fruity notes being held in check. A classy (and perhaps the "classic") interpretation of the style.

3.99/5  rDev -9.3%

A- Beautiful orange with a nice full head. Wonderful looking beer.

S- Wheat , wheat and more wheat. A little sweetness.

T- Wheat with a tad bit of honey. Faint hint of banana

M- What a smooth beer. Great carbonation with a dry finish. Very crisp.

O- Great beer. I really enjoyed drinking it.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Golden yellow not clear at all the way good wheat should be
A white creamy head.

S- Light a citric with a hint of banana

T/M - Sweet banana flavor goes down very smooth and clean a very slight taste of clove. Not overly carbonated

D- Very drinkable a nice pleasant beer on a warm day.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

Big foamy white head over a hazy yellow-orange body. Good retention and lace.

Smells like yeast, banana, and clove. A little bit sweet, but sour as well.

Nice lemony twang. Good banana flavour. Lots of clove. No bubblegum. It's very subtle and well balanced - no one flavour overwhelms the others.

Medium body and finely carbonated. Smooth and satisfying. A very subtle hefe that doesn't go over the top with the fruit/candy-like flavours found in this style of beer. I normally like my hefes a little bit more over-the-top, but this really won me over. I enjoyed this a great deal.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

I'm impressed with the overall quality of this beer. The smell is not overpowering, giving off mild hints of Banana but primarily hops, malt, and spices. The appearance was average, but I must say after pouring this beer into a glass it does leave behind a nice head. What I was most impressed with was the mouthfeel and the unique taste. The mouthfeel was very creamy and smooth, with essentially no bitter points whatsoever. The hoppy smell threw me off a little bit, because there are so many other flavors that strike you prior to the slight hop aftertaste. Above else, cloves were the first thing I could taste. Banana was probably the second most pungent flavor, followed by wheat, yeast, malt, a bit of caramel, and hops. Overall a pretty solid beer. Not one of my favorite, but definitely something different and for its class a very good brew. I'd give it a 8/10.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured in a blind tasting cup

Appearance: Golden yellow, with a thick white head.

Smell: Bananas, wheat.

Taste: bananas; Tastes like a classic hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied moderate carbonation.

Overall, I tried this during a blind tasting and I preferred the krystal version over this. I wold definitely try this again. I am not really a huge wheat beer fan, but I approve of this one.

Shared with mjyoung.

A - Slightly hazy pale golden color. Good amount of frothy white head.

S - Light wheat aroma. Bread, nuts and banana odor also present.

T - Refreshing banana, wheat malt flavors. Tiny amount of sourness on the finish. Overall taste was pretty mild though.

M - Average carbonation. Medium bodied. Creamy and smooth, what I would want from the style.

D - Nothing offensive about this beer, but flavors were a little lacking for me.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

Hazy golden color. Soapy, thin head. Yeasty citrus aroma. Light banana clove taste. Very refreshing. A little thin in the mouthfeel. Very indicative of the style. This is a very good Heffe but not the best that I have had. Certainly suitable for a benchmark.

3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

Good hefe, not overtly impressive, but it did lack the spices of a certain beer that is of the same catagory. I really enjoyed this one. Could go good with a nice chicken or pasta dish. Would definately try this beer one more time. perhaps with a nicce chicken and pasta meal.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan