Microbrew Invitational

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by pezoids on 01-22-2001

Reviews: 2,446 | Ratings: 7,899

Pours a solid, cloudy orange color with a fluffy white head that is dinosauric in size. The aroma is of cloves and bananas. The taste is fairly juicy, citrus, and banana. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is a decent hefe. It isn't the best I've ever had by a long shot, but it is still damn good.

I am a Hefe Weissbier fan, so this gets good marks from me anyway.

First of all, the appearance was standard orange/brown cloudy, with a white head that dissipated a bit quicker than I expected.

Smell and taste, too, were standard for a Hefe, and the taste was a bit more pronounced than, say, Hacker Pschorr, but with a tad less banana/clove.

Mouthfeel was light, but well carbonated.

Drinkability was good, but I was not as impressed as the rating would lead me to believe.

Appearance: Pale, golden orange body with haze from suspended yeast

Aroma: yeasty, cloves, banana (normal Hefeweizen aroma)

Taste: Creamy, peppery, with a light hop finish; very good

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

Appearance: An attractive gold with a slight orange tinge, has the cloudiness of a wheat beer of course, with a nice 2 finger length head and small lacing

Smell: Cloves are very apparent, smells sweet, maybe fruits in there

Taste: I'm getting mostly cloves, the beers a little warm I may have to re-review this one. Some sweet malt qualities; It's a bit spicy; whole--warms the stomach.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and crisp, carbonated, doesn't leave too strong of an aftertaste, rather a faint one that lingers

Drinkability: This brewery's been around for almost a thousand years and they are sure to stay, this beer is unique, has a nice blend of spices. Sets the standard for wheat beers everywhere; nonetheless comparable to Harpoons UFOs though.

Very murky and hazy yellow color. Huge fluffy white head. Good aroma-nice blend of banana and phenolic esters. Somewhat peppery and spicy. Very clovey in the flavor though finishes quite crisp and clean. Decent mouthfeel. As usual hefes are not my thing but this one is supposed to be a classic and I find it quite enjoyable. Needs to be a hot summer's day beer for this kid but overall it was quite decent.

lot of banana and bubblegum type aromas with a big peppery, lime and citrus peel bite on the palate. load of carbonation with clean finish. very intensely flavored without overpowering and burning the palate.

From the tap at the Weihenstephaner Biergarten into the appropriate glass

Appearance: beautiful gold almost pearlescent with a faint hint of red; my glass runneth over with foam, but it settled fairly quickly; little lace

Smell: clove-olicious, a little lemony, and that faint boiling wort smell I picked up in the dunkel.

Taste: stepped up clove along with a slightly peppery spiciness; quite tart but not overly fruity; lasting moderate hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium body balanced by a high level of carbonation.

Drinkability: certainly a nice example, probably my 3rd favorite after Andechs and Schneider.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass.

A: Pours a murky yellowish orange color with a huge pillowy white head.

S: Yeasty nose with lemon accents.

T: Lemon and banana in the beginning, clove and yeast in the finish. A classic hefeweizen.

M: Medium bodied.

D: A great hefeweizen, outstanding on a hot day.

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 ounce bottle.

A- Cloudy golden color, nice, big white head with some retention on the glass.

S- Spicy, banana, clove with some herbal notes.

T- Nice mildly sweet wheat flavor.

M- Smooth and very carbonated.

O- Very refreshing beer. Incredibly easy to drink, decent price depending where you get it.

I am not a major German beer fan, but this is probably my favorite of all time. Very well balanced with a very complex flavor. I get hints of sweetness and the carbonation is perfect.

Golden straw with big fluffy white head when poured. Smells of banana, wheat, and overall sweetness. The taste was a little muted but still good. Again, a wheat bite and banana flavor that reminds me of Runts. Mouthfeel was good as expected, not too much carbonation and very crisp. I could let it rest on my tongue all day this summer. This is a good beer in every aspect. Nothing too exceptional to me but definitely above average. I'd say it's among the top hefes for me and at a good price. Try it, you'll probably like it.

From the overall reviews I was expecting a little bit more from this beer but I enjoyed the experience.
Very as-per-style all around. Some coriander in the flavor, slight banana, a lemon tang going on, that wheaty mouthfeel I've come to expect from the style.
Light, easy drinking, hazy cloudy beer goodness.
A top 100 beer? I dunno.
Definately a good hefe weizen.

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, classy, classic label; Some date code that I'm not exactly sure what it means, but I THINK it's at least brewed in 2011, which I'll take, considering I've seen examples that are over 2 years old on the shelf.

Appearance: Hazy dark straw gold beer, with a nice cream-colored cap which, surprisingly, fades a bit fast for my liking.

Smell: Requisite sweet/tart banana aromas, with plenty of spice in the background. A couple of swirls really brings out the spice aromas. Very slight hint of citrus in the background, as well as something nicely floral as this warms a bit.

Taste: Banana and sweet spice (no particular baking spice is coming out here, though I think perhaps I get a slight hint of clove). Slightly tangy wheat backbone, with light, if firm bitterness. All in all, it's a bit like banana bread, though w/out the typical caramelly/burnt sugar notes that confection often (though not always) has.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and refreshing

Overall: A really tasty Hefeweizen. Is it the world's best, like I once thought? I don't know, though it's certainly top-tier. I do have to say, however, that it's no longer quite my favorite. Overall, however, certainly a tasty offering.

One of the German's remaining monastic brewers.
Appearence : Pale unfiltered wheat beer
Smell : Ginger and clove aroma
Taste : Hallertau hop give to the beer a spicy and pepper aroma, with a banana and vanilla taste
Mouthfeel : Ginger finish
Drinkability : A typical spicy wheat beer

Thierry (14/10/2007)

Pours out leaving a massive head in the glass. A mild, spicy yeast scent hits me as I go in for a sip.

Cloudy gold color. A rush of tiny carbonated bubbles surge to the surface.

Smooth. Highly drinkable. A clove-like presence is there, but not too overwhelming.

Brewed under the purity law on 1516, as per the bottle. A real pleasant treat overall. Perfect for a warm summer day (or a cold December night, like I am doing).

On tap at Blind Tiger. Pours an amber orange color with a white foam head. Has an nice aroma of orange and fresh bouquet. Has a lemon zest taste with notes of banana and clove. Very tasty witbier. Similar to others but a lot smoother. The perfect beer when relaxing with the woman.

This is as fine a hefeweizen as any I have tried. I like the fact that it is cleaner and milder with less banana and cloves than many of the others that I have sampled.

Pours a hazy pale straw with a generous white head that fades and leaves plenty of fluffy lace and fades to a flat pancake of foam that never quite goes away entirely.

Smell is faint yeast and floral hop notes with a doughy cracked wheat scent.

Taste is clean and light with wheat malt evident and less fruit than any hefe's that I have tried. Just clean and light and balanced.

Mouth feel is light with abundant tingly carbonation.

All in all a very drinkable brew.

Hazy deep straw yellow pour with a big fluffy white head. Banana, orange, bubblegum, and a somewhat subdued clove in the nose. There's a malty, bready sweet aroma as well. Taste is earthy banana, bubblegum, and spice as well as a slight touch of lemon. Very smooth with a nice dry finish. Maybe I was hoping for too much from this considering the hype I've heard, but this one let me down a touch. I know I'm in the minority, but I personally prefer Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse to this. It's a good solid beer, but not super IMHO.

Pale yellow, turns to golden orange as yeast is swirled in. Big fluffy cloud-like head settles to a white bubbly cap.

Smells of crisp wheat, with the standard banana and spicy clove notes. Not very outstanding, but pleasant and to style.

Light bodied, with mild banana notes and some bubblegum. Crisp finish.

Light and refreshing with nothing out of the ordinary. Just a solid wheat beer, with some good yeasty fun.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier is truly an aesthetic beauty in the pint glass. An inch of creamy, buff-beige head retains effortlessly atop a hazy, golden-orange body. Carbonation everywhere, the head just won't go away. Decent lacing left along the drinking side of the pint. The aroma a nice blend of banana, bubblegum and clove. Sweet, wheat-heavy breaded malts, vanilla cream, and orange zest round out the delectable scent.

Yeasty banana, thick wheat, and pale malt give the flavor a quaffable, sweet body. I can see how this beer has achieved its worldwide popularity, as it's easily one of the more drinkable beers I've come across. Mouthfeel is creamy and semi-thick for a Hefeweizen, with a peppery bite and a smooth, refreshing finish. I was quite impressed with this one, and I will definately be having it again at some point (hopefully on-tap next time).

Pours cloudy yellow, nice thick foamy head, leaves a clingy lace in the glass, aroma of wheat and bananas, banana-clove yeasty flavor. Light body, clean and crisp, very refreshing one of my favorites, always good.

Bottle Pours a hazy straw color with a generous white head. The head lasts well. Has a good aroma of wheat and sweet fruits. Has good carbonation. The flavor is not as sweet as I thought it would be, it is muted nicely by light bitterness and nice hints of spices. This is well balanced. Has a dry texture. I would give it a light body. Has a good finish with a nice aftertaste. This is a easy drinking good beer.

Not my preferred style of beer but i liked it very much. taste starts with a spice/banana taste then mellows out into a slight fruit floral flavor. good stuff.

A - a murky orange-gold color with a beautiful foamy white head that settles pretty quickly

S - a citrusy nose with some notes of pepper and yeast

T - a nice earthy yeast flavor with hints of citrus and clove; minimal hop bitterness with a dry finish

M - complex and full bodied with a nice balance of crispness from carbonation

D - a superbly delicious and drinkable beer from weihenstephaner, although, in my opinion, not as good as their original lager

Gold and hazy in colour with strong carbonation. Typical hefeweizen aromas of vanilla, clove, banana, and a bit of citrus. Nice tangy wheat flavor, with more vanilla and banana in the mouth. A bit of spicy hops on the finish too. Very nice full mouthfeel that still refreshes. Definitely more on the vanilla/clove end of the spectrum, with the fruity notes being held in check. A classy (and perhaps the "classic") interpretation of the style.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan