2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,379 | Reviews: 2,190 | Show All Ratings:
benteach

Missouri

Man this is a good beer.

Golden yellow, cloudy (but in a good way) with a tall order of foam. Great lacing throughout the drink.

Wheat, citrus, flowers dominate the smell.

Orange and lemon are very noticable on the first part of the drink. Carbonation remains in your mouth and bounces around in your mouth. Great consistancy. Very drinkable on a sunny, cloudy, rainy, clear, or tornadic day. Have to get more.

08-06-2009 00:47:11 | More by benteach
jizdepski

Louisiana

poured into room temperature pint glass from a less than cold bottle. appearance is a cloudy orange color, with a good rocky and sticky collar. head dissipates and leaves a white ring hugging edge of glass. a very attractive beer indeed. smells of citrus, malts, and german yeast. taste follows nose nicely. excellent flavor here. has a light citrus bite accompanied by bready yeastiness and wheat up front. becomes more mild in the middle with a bit of sweet banana taste, some spice, with a steadying malt base. a little bit of grassy hoppiness underneath to balance it out. excellent mild bitterness on finish. the mouthfeel is superb; delicate carbonation, medium body, and a creamy consistency. drinkability on this hefe is through the roof. my favorite german hefeweizen i have had. excellent on every level.

11-23-2009 06:42:14 | More by jizdepski
acelin

Kansas

500 ml bottle, bought it for 2 bucks. Pretty happy my local store has plenty of these.

Beautiful golden could, so gorgeous. The lights in my apartment make it glisten in my weiss glass.

The smell - everything you expect a hefe to be and more. Bananas, cloves, orange, even wheat - all wafting into your nostrils.

It was the smoothest, most beautiful hefe imaginable. This brewery sure knows how to bring out all the flavors without being overpowering in any way. This beer plain out made me feel peaceful just with that first sip, not to mention after 3 bottles.

01-19-2010 15:42:48 | More by acelin
KingEdward

I had this beer on-tap poured into a pint glass. This beer has a white two to three finger head that lasts forever and a yellow cloudy color. The beer smells of clove, banana, wheat and yeast. The beer tastes of clove, wheat, and mild citrus, and has a light hop aftertaste. This beer has a nice amount of lacing. This beer is super refreshing, crisp, and a perfect session beer. I have had this beer on-tap and in the bottle either way it is awesome. Drinking this beer makes me want to go on another vacation to germany. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. I have never had a better Hefeweissbier!!!

01-24-2010 22:43:50 | More by KingEdward
TheSicilian33

Serving type- A brown chilled bottle

Appearance- Brown bottle with "Premium Bavaricum Weihenstepahner Hefe Weissbier The World's Oldest Brewery" on it.

Smell- A strong wheat smell

Taste- A fruity, but wheat taste. An incredible taste that goes down smooth.

Mouthfeel- A simple sized mouth. Great for drinking.

Drinkability- It's an incredible beer. I've had the worst beers, but this is one of the best I've ever had. I drank it faster than a coors light, which is literally water. I can't believe this taste. I've had other Belgian beers that were pure wheat, but this beer is perfect! Social drinking only though!! Don't spoil the night!

02-11-2010 03:41:16 | More by TheSicilian33
chetti76

I first tried this beer a few weeks ago on tap at Isaac Newton's in Newtown PA. It was poured into a weizen glass.

Appearence - 5.0 - hazy golden orange color

Smell - 5.0 - hints of citrus with some nice spices and even a little bananna mixed in

Taste - 5.0 - Wonderful! It was sunny and in the mid-high 80's the day I tasted this beer and wow, was it refreshing. the perfect beer to sit and enjoy on a nice day

Mouthfeel - 5.0 - Very smooth with no bitter aftertaste. Every sip actually leaves you wanting to take another.

Drinkability - 5.0 - Had I not had to leave shortly after trying this beer I probably would still be sipping on one right now. This is hands down the best Hefeweizen I have ever tried and is now my favorite beer. You can enjoy several of these in a party environment or just at your leisure without getting too tipsy given the average ABV%

08-13-2010 18:14:28 | More by chetti76
Prospero

Colorado

Poured into a hefeweizen glass.

Pours a beautiful unfiltered gold color with moderate carbonation and a nice white head. The aroma is very refreshing with a strong sense of clove, fruit and a bit of floral notes. The initial mouthfeel is actually quite sour, but finishes sweet with a strong taste of banana and citrus. Definitely tops my list as a great hefeweizen, I could drink this all day.

12-08-2010 20:18:17 | More by Prospero
BEERMILER12

Maine

This is BY FAR the best hefeweizen I've ever tasted and enjoyed as much as I did. Simply amazing.

A: Nice yellow, common to the hefe's

S: Smells like a fresh field of flowers or corn

T: Just like the smell, sooo goood

M: Nice and light, great carbonation

D: I could drink these all day, especially with the price

12-11-2010 05:57:34 | More by BEERMILER12
Clippers652

Simply my favorite beer ever. Had it on-tap in Austria the first time. Life changing experience.

Pours a wonderful golden color with a very nice head that lingers for a while.

Smells great - hints of banana, citrus

Taste - tastes just like it smells ... delicious

Mouthfeel - light and easy

Drinkablity - I could honestly drink this all day

12-14-2010 19:23:39 | More by Clippers652
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

This is my all-time favorite Hefe. Tried so many others but always come back to this one. Poured two-thirds of a chilled bottle into a duvel tulip. After waiting for a gigantic white fluffy head to settle back into the glass, I swirl the other one-third still in the bottle and add it to my glass. I didnt always appreciate this style but my taste buds have evolved in the last 2-3 years and now i find the clove and banana smells to be utter bliss. A world-class beer. Think I'll have another.

12-27-2010 03:03:35 | More by cadizkyguy
GarrettM99

On tap at Mr. Dunderbaks, served in a Weizen glass and a side of bratwursts and warm potato salad.

A- A beautiful golden yellow with a multiple finger head that lasted the entire beer. Was easily one of the more beautiful beers I have enjoyed.

S- As mentioned it does have a very nice hint of banana and wheats.

T- A very nice critus taste of some orange, but mostly banana. As well as a nice spice that hits the tongue as it goes down. Very delicious.

M- Smooth, crisp, and refreshing.

D- Drinkability is off the scale. And is my favorite hefe, and could make a great session beer.

Over all: A must try for anyone looking for a great hefe or wheat beer. I can't wait to try one again.

01-24-2011 01:59:54 | More by GarrettM99
ZenAgnostic

A - Semi-opaque golden orange body, with a long lasting 3 finger creamy froth.

S - Gorgeous fresh smell - definite banana and orange.

T - Not as sweet as the smell indicates. Spicey, taste almost like a Merlot. The alcohol is somewhat more present than in say, a Blue Moon. Aftertaste is also like that of a Merlot.

M - Less creamy than I expected. That actually works very well. Noticeably acidic.

D - Drinkability is where this beer really shines. This is perhaps the most drinkable beer I've had. It has enough complexity to keep me from getting bored, but not too much to where I feel overpowered. I could drink this all night.

01-29-2011 21:24:35 | More by ZenAgnostic
SacredBeverage

It comes in a 1 pint bottle with a label on it, and when it was made. Also has the crest and "Premium Bavaricum" on it.

A: It pours a cloudy golden straw color with a slow-receding head. It has a great color for a Weiss beer.

S: The aroma is amazing. It has traces of banana, clove honey, and has a nice sweetness to the aroma.

T: Now my favorite part, the taste. I first tasted clove, then slowly different flavors roll over your palate; honey, banana, and a slight lemon zest. It has a great flavor and is not too sweet or too bitter, a nice balance. I like this a little more than Ayinger's Brau Weisse, even though that is a superb Unfiltered-Wheat Beer.

Ml: The texture is outstanding, it is exceptionally smooth with no bitter aftertaste. It just rolls over your tongue with no harsh bite.

D: I could drink this every day and never get bored. Definitely a five. It is just such a great beer you don't get tired of drinking it. I highly recommend it.

02-15-2011 00:34:15 | More by SacredBeverage
DirtyPenny

Had on tap at The Farmhouse in Burlington. Was framed in a stange glass.

A: Sort of a sepia yellow. Or like the hair of that blonde girl on the beach when you were thirteen that one summer. It was a little cloudy She had to be six or seven years older, but you'd swear she winked when you saw her gawking. In any case, you were on vacation and would never see her again. Though you think of her from time to time, by the time you were old enough she'd probably be married and settled down. Best to leave that cloudy banana-yellow hair as a distant memory of your youth.

Beautiful day. The heady seafoam left lines where the waves hit the sand, lacing the beach like a white dress. Yeah, she'd be married by now.

S: The cottage you stayed in had a faint spicy scent like bananas and cloves. It was an alluring and strange scent; a bit foreign, and it made you wonder what the mysterious people who'd stayed here before were like.

T: "Probably just banana cream pie," someone commented at the time. You don't remember who. May have been your older brother, who moved to New Jersey for work and has two kids and is on his second wife.

The exotic illusion left your head, but a new one entered. The place was homey now. Sweet. Nothing so unusual as sweet banana cream and clove. There's also a bready taste to the kitchen air, though this isn't strong enough to carry through the rest of the cabin.

M: When you head back out to the beach, the girl is gone. The sand feels unusually fine between your toes, smooth and a little muddy. The foam collects on your feet and ankles and the little bubbles pop there, faint but enough that you can feel each minute explosion.

O: You don't have her in front of you right now, but you can look back at the framed picture of the beach and reminisce in a bittersweet way.

(I really want another one of these)

07-10-2011 16:29:50 | More by DirtyPenny
thehenbarris

Enjoying now, as I have many times in the past, poured from a bottle into a weizen glass on 7/27/11.

This is the gold standard hefeweizen; the one to which I measure all other hefes (which is, most likely, why I have yet to find another hefe I'm willing to give an A grade to).

A- Wonderful cloudy golden/orange color with rich, white head. The head is aggressive, and unless you pour into your glass in the most delicate possible way, it is going to require settling before you're able to complete the pour (which is totally fine by me--this isn't a beer for slamming/chugging).

S- Wheat, clove/spice, and light banana.

T- Wheat, clove, banana, a bit of butter toffee and bubblegum (but not too much, unlike many other hefes). The flavor is complex with many notes that aren't immediately apparent. I enjoy drinking this slowly because the flavor profile shifts as the beer warms a bit, revealing many of those buried flavors. Yum!

M- Mellow carbonation and a smooth texture. The beer is a pleasure to drink.

O- As the review indicates, this is a beer I have an incredibly high opinion of. I'd go as far as saying that it is my favorite beer of all time. Anyone who is a flavor of the style should give it a shot (especially if you're lucky enough to beer somewhere that has it on tap).

07-27-2011 17:13:52 | More by thehenbarris
musicman575

Sweet, mellow, smooth, spicy, buttery goodness! Every time I drink this on tap, it is billowy and beautiful. Hazy Goldenrod right up to the 0.5 mark on W's beautiful swirly glass with the billowy, creamy foam that flows over the top. What a magnificent wonder!

All the sexy, gooey spicey aromas (cloves, orange, popcorn, etc...) flow right up through my nostrils and grind up against against my olfactory business and makes me nose-cum. Okay, it's really not THAT amazing, but it is still pretty awesome.

This is probably one of the best beers you can get for the price. No American wheat beers even come close to The W. It is so smooth. It goes down the hatch easier than the finest cut of fatty salmon. It melts across your tongue like a fine, seared foix gras. It tickles your mouth-senses as much as the most aromatic spicy curry. It also gives you the ability to urinate in public in the presence of police without getting caught...err...wait, no, I got caught. Anyhow, I showed up to court and the cop didn't. Case dismissed.

If you know of a better hefe, please let me know, because you're wrong. I will gladly knock down your door and beat some sense into you.

Cheers!

08-05-2011 07:56:57 | More by musicman575
ejr1953

Maryland

I must admit, I'm mostly a vodka drinker, so when I sit down to have a beer, I usually only have one...sometimes two. So when I enjoy an occasional beer, it's got to be good. The Fall of 2010 my wife & I traveled thru Europe, for several days thru Bavaria, where I discovered German wheat beers. I found this one to be the best! Fortunately, I'm able to special order this at my local store. I find it to be one of the most flavorful beers I've tried.

09-02-2011 20:48:46 | More by ejr1953
Centennial

A. Cloudy Golden yellow with substantial head

S. Clove, coriander, allspice and citrus fruits

T. Like the smell, Clove, coriander, banana and mild citrus fruits, maybe a hint of vanilla

M. Crisp, clean and refreshing medium bodied hefe

O. Outstanding Hefeweissbier. I can enjoy this on a hot summer day or a cold snowy winters eve and it will hi the spot either way.

10-30-2011 08:06:11 | More by Centennial
RnRManifesto

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a weissbier glass. Generous 3" creamy head (or more!) which lingers for a while. Typical blonde cloudy appearance, the way a Hefe should look.

Smells of banana, cloves, yeast. Tastes divine. This is a perfect example of a Hefe in all ways. It just doesn't get much better than this. Franziskaner has been my favorite Hefe for years, but this one just might have surpassed that as of late. It's at least tied for first.

Crisp, refreshing, almost creamy mouthfeel. Exceptional. Made by the world's oldest brewery. There's a reason why they are still around after nearly 1000 years, because this beer is incredible!

11-13-2011 01:39:00 | More by RnRManifesto
djbow

Maryland

Lovely malted wheat character accented with citrus and nutty yeast in the backround. Also, a subtle hint of clove plays its own subtle tune to round off this quartet of flavor. Just the right amount of carbonation with a very clean balanced alcohol finish. All in all, the beer is the prototype for other Hefeweizen makers to follow. This said, one should expect no less from a beer traditions that dates back to 1040. Enjoy!!

Glass = Tulip.

Drink Temp. = 48 F.

Serving = 16.9 oz Bottle.

01-02-2012 01:09:56 | More by djbow
Brewhead

nobody on this site seams to review a beer and give it there perfect rating. I have tried many different Hefeweisse biers for about the last 6 years as well as my own and have found that this example is the best.
it is said that this brewery has the earliest established date for brewing a wheat beer. however, this does not mean that all others should be judged by this breweries product. that said, this beer displays all of the characteristics of a bavarian wheat beer.
the appearance after pouring the beer and its sediment is a hazy light yellow with a full white h ead. the head or lacing, permeates through out the drinking of the beer.
smell is of musty bubble gum (banana and clove)
taste is both banana and clove and earthy.
it has a slight lean towards the bitterness of earthy hops and yeast than most, but in my opinion is the epitomy of german weisse bier.

02-16-2012 21:16:27 | More by Brewhead
FungusBrewer

Wait...can it be? Do you hear that?

It's the sound of angels singing in German.

It pours into my Weissbeir Glass with a thud. A small Bavarian farmer fell into it, and threw loaves of bread at my tongue. The beer is hearty, clove like, and packed with yeasty banana effervescence. Next time, I'm pouring this over my ice cream. It's the real deal.

Any product that has been in production for over 500 years doesn't need a review. This beer has achieved more then you and I combined.

Hier ist Götter Bier, Prost!

02-20-2012 02:41:39 | More by FungusBrewer
Drinkerofales

To start the review, I will admit to being a bit biased by this beer. When I went through a German phase about 16-17 years ago, this stood out in my memory, and I was not disappointed when I picked this up again for the first time in years.

Pours almost clear straw and golden yellow, with a huge fluffy pure white head that leaves chunky lacing and caps the beer until I swallow the last of it.

Smell is lemony, yeasty, light bready malts.

Taste is clean dry malts, pure, a hint of the yeast, and some lemon in the aftertaste.

Feel is smooth, flowing, light bodied, and probably the easiest drinking beer ever!

While it doesn't have the punch of the bigger beers, this is just special. Balanced and drinkable. A classic beer from a brewery that has been doing it right for almost a millennium.

DOA

04-07-2012 18:26:34 | More by Drinkerofales
acevenom

Louisiana

Pours hazy yellow with a towering white head that dissipates slowly. There is excellent head retention. The aroma is of malt and yeast with banana and citrus. It's a bold and inviting smell. The taste is exactly like the beer smells. It has flavors of wheat and barley malts, yeast, citrus, and banana. There's a mild spiciness in the flavor as well. The flavors are very well balanced. The body is light. This is a very smooth and refreshing beer. The finish is crisp and dry. Overall, this is an excellent beer and a great example of this style.

04-20-2012 01:23:40 | More by acevenom
sethcroisant

Nebraska

A- exactly what you'd expect from Weihensteiphaner. mountainous, dense head

S- lots of banana on the nose. clove and barley sneak through as well

T- banana's up front and aggressive. powdery feel from the clove. tidbit of acidity slips through and makes a brief appearance and helps break things up a bit. gorgeous flavors of yeast and wheat linger

O- more than lives up to the standards set by their other beers. an absolute must have.

06-05-2012 02:06:53 | More by sethcroisant