Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,348 | Hads: 7,379

Enjoying now, as I have many times in the past, poured from a bottle into a weizen glass on 7/27/11.

This is the gold standard hefeweizen; the one to which I measure all other hefes (which is, most likely, why I have yet to find another hefe I'm willing to give an A grade to).

A- Wonderful cloudy golden/orange color with rich, white head. The head is aggressive, and unless you pour into your glass in the most delicate possible way, it is going to require settling before you're able to complete the pour (which is totally fine by me--this isn't a beer for slamming/chugging).

S- Wheat, clove/spice, and light banana.

T- Wheat, clove, banana, a bit of butter toffee and bubblegum (but not too much, unlike many other hefes). The flavor is complex with many notes that aren't immediately apparent. I enjoy drinking this slowly because the flavor profile shifts as the beer warms a bit, revealing many of those buried flavors. Yum!

M- Mellow carbonation and a smooth texture. The beer is a pleasure to drink.

O- As the review indicates, this is a beer I have an incredibly high opinion of. I'd go as far as saying that it is my favorite beer of all time. Anyone who is a flavor of the style should give it a shot (especially if you're lucky enough to beer somewhere that has it on tap). (1,296 characters)

I have to say I thought Samuel Adams was my favorite beers but this one knocks all out of the water. It is such a treat to have.

A-It's got a nice golden look to it.
S-It's got a nice banana smell to it with a little bit of apple.
T- It taste like banana too with a hint of Olive and Bubble gum w/ the hops. (As weird as that may sound it's quite good) it's a little sweet but not too sweet and you still taste beer. It smacks the mouth with flavor.
M-no aftertaste at all and it goes down smooth.
D- It's worth it! It's a treat to have. If any of you find this at a store you must buy it! It is an amazing beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is possibly the best Beer I have ever tasted and I will get another one from the store. It is as I said a treat. I am on a diet sadly and I rarely have a beer to help me drop pounds but, I love a good brew when I can and this is a beer I will love to treat myself to. (914 characters)

This is BY FAR the best hefeweizen I've ever tasted and enjoyed as much as I did. Simply amazing.

A: Nice yellow, common to the hefe's

S: Smells like a fresh field of flowers or corn

T: Just like the smell, sooo goood

M: Nice and light, great carbonation

D: I could drink these all day, especially with the price (317 characters)

Appearance: Golden color, but cloudy, cloudy, and cloudy. A thick white bread like head pours out with good retention and minimal glass sticking. There is tons of carbonation, but it is difficult to see for the opaque characteristic of this one.

Smell: grassy/grainy. Smells like fresh wheat bread and some acidity similar to grapes.

Taste: Spicy and fruity. The malts break through the many flavors and are delicious. The beer is a little sour to the tongue and the spice remains as an after flavor. Other flavors I can taste remind me of cedar, vanilla, and apples. Really comes together well to make a nice fruity and complex taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Carbonation plays with the tongue along with a dry/spicy after feel.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite drinking beers. It is well balanced, delicious, and I can drink this as well as any beer. In fact it is so good that I wish I had another bottle as the glass is empty.

Notes: This is the classic Hefe Weizen in my opinion. It is what the style attempts to emulate. I have never had a better hefeweisbier, and doubt I ever will. (1,111 characters)

What can I say that others haven't? This is Weihenstephaner. If you haven't tried it and are a lover of Weissbier, this is a must.

The appearance is beautiful, great head retention, good carbonation, and a beautiful, pale orange color to the body.

The smell is like sweet bread, overall not overpowering: just like a Weissbier ought to be.

The taste is very similar to the smell, but with light banana and vanilla flavors as well.

The mouthfeel is extremely smooth leaving you wanting more.

There are many Weissbiers in the World today and it still very clear to me why the State of Bavaria chose this Brewery to be their official representation of the style. Absolutely wonderful.

Prost! (698 characters)

Ah yes, the standard Hefeweizen to which all other hefe's are compared. The question becomes, should I review this to style? Or should I review this to my opinion? How do I question the paradigm hefe when it is so established? Well, I'll rate this to style, and of course it will be a perfect score. However, my review will reflect the fact that wheat beers do not appeal to me. Let us begin.

Poured from the bottle into a Weihenstephan hefe glass, complete with the twirl and twist at the end of the pour. Hazy golden hay colored, or perhaps even banana colored when held to the light. Beautiful foamy white head that piles up over the top of the glass. The aromas are of that characteristic wheaty twang, bananas (but much less than what some of my friends describe as "holy cow this smells like banana!"), bit of clove and spice, and a yeasty goodness that wraps up the aromas nicely. The flavors are very much like that of the aromas. A very slight hint of earth in the finish. Well carbonated and light bodied. Makes for a good summer beer.

Now, I must admit that I do not like wheat beers. The wheat twang kills it for me. If I were to rate this to my opinion, it would be 5/3/3/3/3, where my 5 would be given to the presentation of the beer. Take that as you will, I suppose. (1,284 characters)

Pours a hazy rustic orange with a towering white head. It laces all over the glass and takes quite a while to die down.

Smell is cloves, honey, corriander(I think), banana, pear skin, and apple skin.

Taste is dry and smooth with a touch of sweetness. Nicely attenuated.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Refreshing yet full bodied.

Drinkability is off the charts. This is THE Hefeweizen! (392 characters)

Oh delicious goodness! My bowl of wheaties on the morning off. I drank this wonderful weisse for the first time in Deutchland, but now am giving it the proper review. Poured from a .5l bottle, huge frothy head, great hazy body bubbling in the sunlight. Great aromas of bananas, citrus, yeast, wheats, cloves. Giant taste matches the aromas, great creaminess on the mouthfeel, drinability is an absolute pleasure. The worlds oldest brewery has set the absolute standard in my book. I know "5's" are rare, but as hefe's go, this is it..
Just came back to my old review after so long, but really an exceptionally made Weizen. The flavor, smells, all have been described in detail by other BA's, but what really struck me now is the absloute plush mouthfeel.It really is the epitomy of a Weizen. Cheers (798 characters)

Dang, I think this is he best hefeweizen I have ever drank. It is deliecious and just the smell reminds of brats, kraut, and Germany. As far I can tell, this is as good as i gets.

Appearance: Translucent, hazy orange
Smell: Banana, orange, and green apple
Taste: Orange notes
Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated
Drinkability: A smooth, thirst quenching beer that brings back great memories of the drinking Hefeweizen in Germany or during the Wurstfest in New Braunfels, Texas.

Serving type: bottle (497 characters)

The Bavarian State Brewery Weihenstephan has been brewing beer since 725 A.D. and after 1289 years probably has perfected one of the finest wheat beers in the world.

A golden-yellow wheat beer that pours of a fine white foamy head and emitting a light aroma of clove. When you slather this brew over your caliculus gustatorius (taste buds) this full bodied beer empresses a light banana flavor with a smooth yeast taste. One of my favorite wheat beers and the price is right. Cheaper than most American brewed main-stream beers.
Cheers. (538 characters)

12 oz bottle, recommended from the Spec's in Bee Cave, thanks!

Cloudy dark yellow, shading into orange, amazing head on this beer.

Malt, lemon, and a hint of clove on the nose. I really like aroma of this beer.

Lemon, clove, spices in the mouth. It tastes as good as it smells.

I'm a little spoiled, since I live in Austin, and we can get Live Oak Hefeweizen on tap in a lot of places here. So, I was a little hesitant to buy this one, but I wanted a hefe, and the guy at Specs said this is the best they have. I still like Live Oak better, but just by a hair. I have seen a number of reviews that rated this beer down a bit, and I would say that something you might do is let it warm up a bit. I started this one at fridge temp, and wasn't really that impressed at first. However, I was called away for a bit, and when I came back the beer had warmed up to probably upper forties, or even higher in temp, and it was AMAZING. It really opened up and a lot of flavor came out. (982 characters)

THE hefeweizen, but it's so rare to get fresh. Pours a majestic light cloudy yellow with orange hints into my Weihenstephaner weizen glass. Has a huge four-finger head which the beer constantly replenishes thanks to the yeast and thousands of tiny bubbles in the body of the beer. Heavy clove and vine-ripened banana in the aroma, very dry, earthy and tropical with a little citrus zest thrown in. Taste is cool crisp and refreshing banana bread in the taste, very light and citrusy. Easily refreshing and smooth this brew is.

Easily one of the greatest brews in the world, blows the other hefes out of the water. It's great on tap as well. (641 characters)

Cloudy, golden color. Lots of fine carbonation rising. Thick frothy head.

Tons of banana in the nose. Sweet bread, cloves, vanilla, touch of lemon.

Sweet bread up front. I get lots of banana, cloves, vanilla, bubblegum, slight lemony. Very complex in flavor. Refreshing, very soft body and finish.

Truly the best Hefeweizen. (328 characters)

Appearance:
The beer pours a hazy golden straw color with an ample sticky white head. The retention is superb as is the lacing.

Smell:
There's a rich aroma of banana and cloves from the yeast and just the right touch of tartness from the wheat.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks smooth and full and is completely rife with an amalgamation of flavors that is best described as banana nut bread. Up front you get the sweet ripe banana notes which then meld in to more of a yeasty bread character and is then finally smoothed out in to a crisp cashew finish. Absolutely delicious.

Drinkability:
It's too tasty to be anything but highly drinkable. It's really one of the most perfect drinking beers in existence in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
I guess you learn a few tricks when you've been brewing the same beer for 500 years because this beer really is perfection when you get a nice fresh bottle of it like the one I reviewed today. (935 characters)

Sweet, mellow, smooth, spicy, buttery goodness! Every time I drink this on tap, it is billowy and beautiful. Hazy Goldenrod right up to the 0.5 mark on W's beautiful swirly glass with the billowy, creamy foam that flows over the top. What a magnificent wonder!

All the sexy, gooey spicey aromas (cloves, orange, popcorn, etc...) flow right up through my nostrils and grind up against against my olfactory business and makes me nose-cum. Okay, it's really not THAT amazing, but it is still pretty awesome.

This is probably one of the best beers you can get for the price. No American wheat beers even come close to The W. It is so smooth. It goes down the hatch easier than the finest cut of fatty salmon. It melts across your tongue like a fine, seared foix gras. It tickles your mouth-senses as much as the most aromatic spicy curry. It also gives you the ability to urinate in public in the presence of police without getting caught...err...wait, no, I got caught. Anyhow, I showed up to court and the cop didn't. Case dismissed.

If you know of a better hefe, please let me know, because you're wrong. I will gladly knock down your door and beat some sense into you.

Cheers! (1,180 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into a stolen...err... liberated weizen glass.

A: pours a beautiful hazy wheaty yellow with a huge 3 finger head that fills up over the top of the glass. The head sticks around for the entire beer.

S: smells of banana and wheat with a little bit of yeast.

T: very wheaty taste (duh). Also a bit of banana and a hint of citrus-y flavor. None of the tastes are too overpowering. everything works well.

M: Extremely smooth, just the right amount of carbonation and not to think.

D: extremely drinkable, easily my new favorite beer. Not hard to pop open another, maybe a few. (599 characters)

Very smooth malt background,
rich yeast flavors, sofy spicy, with fruity banana tones,
reminiscent of clove, very balanced wheat beer.
Washes down easy and lasting tasting notes.
Nice carbonation and good colour and a medium bodied beer.

Tasted from a bottle and tap, both are just as good. personally prefer the bottle cos you can control the pour / head and more importantly the goodness that's left at the bottom. (419 characters)

A-The color is a beautiful light brown with the perfect foamy head you'd expect from this type of beer.

S-The smell has a perfect balance of banana and cloves. The alcohol is not overpowering of the scent either.

T-The flavor matches the smell. It's light with that banana clove flavor that is perfectly balanced with no overpowering characteristics.

M- It refreshes the entire mouth with the perfect balance of carbonation and feel.

Overall this is my current favorite beer. I've yet to match it. If you need a nice refreshing beer that's easy to drink I recommend this one. It is an excellent introduction to finer beers. (631 characters)

Served in the brewery's own Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier glass at just over fridge temperature. Freshness code reads 3285 on the rear label. 16.9 oz.

Appearance- Perfection. The beer glows a cloudy orange with streaming action inside the glass... it takes a few minutes to pour because of the resilience of its gigantic, soapy head. The sheer beauty of this rivals the exquisite presence of Duvel in its own tulip glass, on a perfect pour.

Smell- Even cold, the bananas and cloves leap out of the glass... and a thick, yeasty aroma blankets the nose. Bold and powerful, there is no mistaking the superb craftsmanship that awaits.

Taste- Full and round, the bready notes of the yeast intertwine with the banana-like esters and malts, as the dense wheat character rides alongside. A gentle sweetness is left behind in the finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Prickly and alive in the mouth, with just the right fortitude in the swallow. Medium weight and certainly not wimpy. This drinks so well by itself in the middle of winter, but memories of this by the barbecue in the summer sun with sausage and pepper sandwiches are too much for my brain right now. IMO, the finest Hefe out there. (1,196 characters)

Pours hazy yellow with a towering white head that dissipates slowly. There is excellent head retention. The aroma is of malt and yeast with banana and citrus. It's a bold and inviting smell. The taste is exactly like the beer smells. It has flavors of wheat and barley malts, yeast, citrus, and banana. There's a mild spiciness in the flavor as well. The flavors are very well balanced. The body is light. This is a very smooth and refreshing beer. The finish is crisp and dry. Overall, this is an excellent beer and a great example of this style. (547 characters)

A - Poured into a .5L Weihenstephaner Wheat Glass. Swirled last 1/3rd and dumped on top. Massive poofy 3" head. Very hazy-cloudy as any wheat should be. Bright Yellow with some orange. Lots of bubble activity.

S - Wowzers. A dropkick in the face of of Wheat, Clove, and Banana. Not a bad dropkick to the face, one that I would pleasantly take each and every day.

T - Perfect balance of banana, clove, bready, and bubblegum with ever so slight tingle of hops. A lot of yeasty tones.

M - Medium-Light body with average carbonation. One of the easiest drinking beers I think I've ever had. You could put these down effortlessly.

O - I might be a bit biased since I am a big fan of wheats, especially a sucker for German Hefe's, but this is literally my favorite beer. It is absolutely perfect beer for it's style; where every wheat in the world should be compared to and strives to be. Weihenstephaner has been open since 1040, and it shows from the quality and perfection of this beer. (989 characters)

A. Cloudy Golden yellow with substantial head

S. Clove, coriander, allspice and citrus fruits

T. Like the smell, Clove, coriander, banana and mild citrus fruits, maybe a hint of vanilla

M. Crisp, clean and refreshing medium bodied hefe

O. Outstanding Hefeweissbier. I can enjoy this on a hot summer day or a cold snowy winters eve and it will hi the spot either way. (370 characters)

This is the top of the class for the style, and for good reason. Everything about this beer is perfection. As much as I enjoy it here in the states, having it fresh from the brewery on tap at the Cologne Christmas Market was a transcendental experience. (253 characters)

Too bad U.S. craft brewers cannot adequately emulate this Weissbier.

Enjoyed in 1 litre stein at Haus Murphy's. Poured a hazy straw color with rocky white head. Exceptionally creamy and aromatic head.

nose is a delightful mix of estery, bananna, clove, and bread. Very appetizing.

palate is a glorious mix of malt/wheat with plenty of fruit and that nice estery banana taste.

Finish is very appetizing as well. Had to have another. (435 characters)

Some may say I'm generous in my 5.0 rating; make no mistake, any wheat beer lover will be won over by Weihenstephaner. Pours perfect in a weizen glass topped off with a high quality foam and colour to match. Claiming to be the worlds oldest brewery; one sip and you will easily know why they still exist.

I have always been a fan of wheat type beers, my first experience with Weihenstephaner had me instantly hooked. One sip and I knew "this is is!" Bottom line: If you like wheat beer this should be your next purchase, you can't go wrong. (541 characters)

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan