Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,330 | Hads: 7,310
4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with a big sticky, foamy white head that sticks around and laces nicely.

S: Wheat, bananas, sweet grains and a hint of vanilla.

T: Big tasty wheat flavors up front with candy banana, a hint of cloves and vanilla. Delicious and refreshing!

M&D: Smooth, light and refreshing. This brew goes down easy and does not sit heavy. Carbonation is just right.

I've had this one before, but had to revisit it with the weather heating up. I enjoying this bottle with a friend after 18 holes of disc golf. Perfect! (544 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

The Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is a very refreshing beverage. This pours out of the bottle and into the glass a cloudy golden color. There is plenty of foamy white head present. The smell has a nice wheaty-fruity fragerance, with a bit of yeast. The taste is faintly sweet, with nicely balanced citrus undertones. There is a crispness to the after taste. This beer and Paulaner rank as bench marks for a hefe weizen. While not the type of beer to be searched for, it it definitely worth grapping and giving a try, if you see it on the shelf. (544 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

This was a great beer. Poured a cloudy opaque yellow with a massive rocky white head. Smelled of yeast and citrus and tasted the same. The mouthfeel is hard to describe. The best I could come up with is that the beer felt "juicy" like biting into an orange. I could have several of these at a sitting. Excellent! (312 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours murky gold with a huge head. The nose is full of yeast and clove and a touch of citrus. It's very warm and inviting. Tasting this beer, the first thing that comes out is some sweet wheat, then bananas, and then a nice creamy clove flavor at the end. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated yet smooth and very refreshing. This beer is a bit thin on the tongue, but very tasty and easy to drink. Overall, one of the best hefeweizens I've had, but probably not THE best I've had. (472 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this on tap at the brewery restaurant on March 20, 2006.

A: Cloudy straw, fluffy off-white head, good retention and lace.

S: Bready malt, slight citrus.

T: Bready, citrus, some spice. Clean, smooth & well balanced.

M: Light to moderate body is creamy. Moderate carbonation.

D: Exceptional. (I think they make some of the MOST drinkable beers). (364 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

Bright opaque yellow color. Pillow, cloud-like head. Impressive puffy lacing. Faint aroma, light and wheaty. Sweet, tart flavor. Definite banana-like notes. Clean finish, but leaves a black pepper spiciness. Light bodied but not watery. Ample carbonation, yet still creamy. Super quaffable. (290 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Just grabbed a bottle of this from my local liquor store.

A: Murky as a good hefe should be. Great consistency with lots of yeast shaken from the bottom of the bottle.

S: Even a lot of Bavarian hef's that have the banana and clove's taste to them, don't always have it in the bouquet. This one does, great scent, nice and fresh.

T: Big wheat flavor! The banana and cloves flavoring from the yeast is far from subtle. Everything a great Hefe should be. The consistency was great. By no means watery.

Overall, where it should be, one of the top Hefe's in the world. Mine tasted fresh, but I didn't know how to decipher the date code on back to know for sure. Never can tell with beers coming from overseas. I will definitely be picking up more of these for the warmer months to come, and at $2.50 for a 16.3 oz bottle, how can you go wrong. (850 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -22.9%

.5 liter bottle from BevMo poured into my frozen Franziskaner weissglas. I smell cloves and bananna as I pour with the bottle inverted. Big frothy head fills the glass to overflow. Let the head settle and swish in the last bit of hefe.
This is not one of my favorite Bavarian hefs when compared to the Paulaner and HackerPschorr masterpieces, but it is very good and drinkable indeed. Bananna, clove, spice, bubblegum flavors appear as the usual characters. It's most unique characteristic was hints of grapefruit and perhaps pineapple. Nothing unlikeable about it, but I think it lacks a bit in mouthfeel compared to others. (626 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I have had this beer a few times. After sampling a variety of German Hefeweissens, I am not too partial to this one.

Pours with a one inch white head that doesn't stay around. Not typical of German Hefies I prefer. The color is a clear golden color with traces of organics floating around. There is no lace to speak of.

The smell hints at banana. Medium mouth feel. Not heavy, but I can detect the alcohol in it. Lots of malt in the taste and a nice after taste. I couldn't drink too many of these... Gotta try the dark wheat they offer soon. (549 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a hazy, glowing apricot amber capped with a perfect, snowy white head taht leaves behind curls of lacing - A perfect way to break in my new weizen glass, it looks absolutely perfect.

Warm, fruity-spicy notes, almost a belgian-yeast aroma, are present in addition to big bursting swirls of banana and marshmallow. Little to no hops are present - it's a delicious malty, yeasty scent.

Absolute perfection to taste! Banana, apricot, slight clove - sugar, very low hop bitterings.

Crisp, soft, swirling, tasty. The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated, light to medium body, and finishes with a lovely caramel stickiness.

Final thoughts: About as good as a hefeweizen gets. (684 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

If you are in Weihenstephan and want a Weissbeer you have two choices, this one and HUBER (the better one in my opinion). Pronounced fruityness, very lively, pleasanr bitterness. This beer is best when drinking it at the Weihenstephan Braustuuberl beergarden amidst student brewmasters! (286 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

My fellow BAs, once again you have provided flawless direction into my beer explorations. I tried this one due to the ratings it received amongst the "hefes" and "weiss beers". As you all were correct about Aventinus... you were also with this one. I am not disappointed by your knowledge and recommendations.

The appearance is good and cloudy like a hefe should be. The smell is very aromatic...hints of wheat and I think a bit citrus-like. The taste is very clean, very nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth. I rate this one high on drinkability because--well--put a hose from the tap and let me sip all day.

I'm a big Franzikaner fan and I didn't think I'd ever find a beer to rival it. Well, this one does. My fellow BAs if you ever in your life want to try a good "hefe"... I highly recommend this one. My personal favorite of Franziskaner is also a good choice. I have to rate this one as high as my personal fav, though. This is just one great Hefe, in my humble opinion. (982 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Well now, this is a freakin' Hefeweizen! It looks a cloudy straw colour with a head that won't go away. Just like a Weizen should look. In the taste department, it is a little thinner than the Ayinger offering; however, when drinking from a Mass, that's actually a good thing.

A pleasant, simple Weizen. Really top notch. (324 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a light translucent gold with a massive cloud-like white head. Aroma is yeasty, slightly citrus, and a slightly unfamiliar sourness. Took two pours to empty the bottle.

Taste is light and wheaty, barely sweet. Lots of toast and yeast going on in the flavors, the barest hint of lemon (although served sans), some more fruit and banana emerges as it warms. A slight lingering musty element, may be due to a bottle that's a little older than prime. Not quite as complex as I think it should be, lacks a lot of the strong clovey/peppery/banana flavors expected from a hefe.

Mouthfeel is chewy due to the wheat but not really thick. Has some texture to it. I understand the reputation but I've had some better hefes brewed in the US. (This may just be a fact of life, that this beer/style might not travel well in the slightest.) (837 characters)

4.41/5  rDev 0%

Weihenstephaner- Hefeweiss

Appearance- murky yellow/ orange with a huge head. Had to stop pouring wait a bit and continue. Laced heavily and the head lasted to the bottom of the glass.
Smell- Banana bread. Cloves and wheat.
Taste- bananas and cloves.
Mouthfeel- velvetly smooth. starts off creamy and finishes off mouth and throat warming smooth.

Overall- Wow! This is one damn fine Hefe. The best I've sampled yet. I'll definitely recommend this to friends.
This would've gotten 5's from me but it might become a little sweet and cloying after a few. (562 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2%

A nice hazy apricot color with an impressive off-white head that persists well and leaves lots of nice lace.

The aroma is classic hefe weizen, cloves, tangy wheat, yeast, bananas, juicy fruit gum and fresh bread.

The cloves hit with a blast right up front and persist into the aftertaste, but is soon joined by bananas, wheat, light malt, vanilla and bubblegum.

Medium bodied, smooth, easy to drink and refreshing. One of the better "hefes". Definitely worth a try if you like that style. If you haven't tried it this would be a good start. (552 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +5%

Beautiful hazy copper brass body. Tall, creamy, light-sandy white head with yeast debris. Nose is classic, archetypal hefeweizen: yeast, tangy wheat, banana, banana bead, cloves (mucho), and bubblegum. Classic taste too. Very tasty too boot. Crisp, tangy wheat. Bready, banana, clove, yeast, yum. Medium-bodied. Protein-rich feel. Dry finish. Refreshing, classic, delicious. (374 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours out hazy yellow-orange..with a huge white head. Foams and settles down to about 1/8". Beautiful stuff !
Smells great....bread dough, clove, yeast and big bubblegum scent.
Taste is mild..clove, bubblegum, sweet malt and a hint of citrusy hop. Really well balanced.
Mouthfeel is very good...light to medium..good carbonation, with a semi-soapy finish. Bubblegum after taste.
Pretty drinkable, although, I would probably be looking for something more intense after a few glasses.
I've tried a few Hefe's now...mostly out of curiosity...did not think I would like this lighter style of beer...but they are growing on me.. and I think this is the best one I've had so far. (678 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a beautiful opaque pale orange with a nice head that thins down as expected. Aroma is amazing with banana, clove, vanilla, its all in there. Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body. Great flavor with lots of malt and fruity weizen yeast. This is the best weizen I've had, smooth fruity yeast flavor and wheat malt balance. Very nice and extremely enjoyable. (360 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%

Wow, what a fantastic looking beer. Pours a deep yellowish golden color and is very cloudy like most unfiltered wheat beer. The head on this beer is just absolutely ridiculous. Nice inch of creamy white head that has great retention. Wow.
Green bananas, sweet wheat malts, lots of yeast, slight clove spice dominate the nose but not quite as potent smelling as I expected.
Nice crisp yeasty esters smack the palate and bring a nice spice character up front to follow. Really delicious and a very refreshing beer. Incredibley tastey and smooth. A real treat anytime you crack one open. (587 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Who knew hot dog juice could taste so good? This is the one beer where my wife has to make apologies and not me. I don’t get this beer and she swears by it. Taste funky to me. The ONLY thing that keeps the rating high is that NOTHING tastes like this. She just got a sixer of it so it’s freah and it tastes like it always does. Hot dog watery. I’ll concede it still tastes "good" but then I like hot dogs. Just not something I could drink a lot of. (451 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass
A: Pours a hazy yellow with a fluffy, one inch head.
S: Wheat smells with a pungent odor of yeast.
T: Sweet malty sourdough bread is the first thing that hits the tongue. Lemons blended into the beer become prominent after a second or two. There is a slight bitter taste that finish well with the beer.
M: Good carbonation, goes down extremely smooth.
D: Very drinkable for any beer, though I would expect it out of a 5.4%. This is something that I would love to have sitting around.
Notes: Very good. I would think this a good gateway beer for those of us with friends addicted to Bud. No flavor is too strong but the beer is balanced and finishes clean and smooth. (719 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just tasted this beer after an Ettaler Helles Weizen. The main difference was the milder taste and smell of the Wiehenstephaner.
Colour was orange and murky, with a very stabile head.
Smell was slightly phenolic and clear wheat smell, fresh
Taste slightly banana, cloves, lots of carbonation, fresh, with a dry aftertaste.
Being a classic amongst the Weizen beers, I found this one to be a bit bland, but nevertheless a good beer. (437 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Hazy amber golden color. Beautiful thick and creamy white head that slowly drops leaving wonderful lacing. There's still a thin layer sitting on top of my beer. Looks delicious.

S - Wheat, bananas, maybe some orange and a little spice. There are other aromas present that I can't pin my finger down on - perhaps it's the yeast. My rookie palate and nose need more exposure to german hefe's.

T - How do I explain the taste? Complex. Sweet, spicy, yeasty, citrusy. I'm not used to all these flavors all at once but it tastes good. I'm used to american variaty but this is a welcome change of pace. I think I detect some clove but I'm not sure.

M - Refreshingly carbonated - feels like a zillion tiny bubbles in my mouth with every sip. Starts smooth, almost creamy I'd say with a crisp/tart finish.

D - This beer was recommended to me by a friend and I think he made a good suggestion! This beer is definitely different from what I am accostomed to drinking but it's very good. I would most definitely buy this again. In 1 word: Refreshing. (1,054 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a very hazy pale yellow topped with a two finger frothy head that slowly settles to a nice cap that stays throughout the entire beer and leaves behind lots of lacing.

Smell; really nice yeasty smell with a slightly over ripe bananas. There's a bit of lemony citrus going on as well as some cloves.

Taste; wheat and yeast stand out along with the bananas, there's also some of that citric lemon and cloves. It has a bit of a spicy hoppiness in the finishand just a bit on the dry side. Mouthfeel is is medium bodied, with nice carbonation, and goes down so smooth. (575 characters)

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan