Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

A filtered version of a Hefeweizen, showcasing bright and clear bodies from pale straw to light amber. Overall character will be more clean and softer on the palate, and the common banana and phenols will be more subtle.

That is the descprition of a kristalweizen...

Now you taste this beer and you go.... holy shit.... that description is dead on...

Now the question is... did the brewery brew this beer according to the description? Or was the description made because of this beer?

Overall If you liked there heff than this is a cleaner criper lighter yet different feel option. In fact you cannot really compare this to the heff because its in a class all itself. Descriptions mentioned in others reviews and the bros. Is dead on. I am not going to get into certain taste and smell specifics. However, you would be doing yourself a great injustice if you were not to try this beer... its frigging $2.50... I'm amazed.... this brewery is one of less than a handfull of breweries where I love all there offerings.

Btw... best damn looking beer EVEEEERRR!!!!.... golden yellow.. impossibly perfect as the hue is gloriously present yet when put up to the eye you can see straight thru it (personally I could see the white of my fence and the marble colored pieces around the ring of my fire pit.... from 12 feet away). Thick 2 finger cotton white pillowy head that you could float a tomato on....lmao.... decent lacing and ring stuck around thruout... the overall super light feel of the beer mixed in with super light carbonation and that clean, crisp, juicy but dry finish. Just exactly what you would expect.

A great summertime beer and a well rounded perfectly balanced beer. I rate this an oh my god 4.9 because I rate on style. Kristalweizens are not my favorite style. But I will not compare this beer to my love for stouts or DiPa'S .. yea.. this beer is not better than some beers I've tried but its the best of the bunch...

And that'll do pig...

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

The best of the Weihenstephaners.

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass. There is no freshness date on the label but there is a bottle number 0079 on the back label.

Appearance: The body has a clear golden color with lots of beautiful carbonation steaming up to the surface. The pour produced a very tall, aggressive and tight foamy head. It has a bright white color with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Its nose is full of fruity yeast with notes of banana and clove. There are notes of pale beady wheat as well and just a touch of citrus.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is very bright and fresh with plenty of fruity yeast. There are notes of banana, clove and a slight hint of citrus fade into dry crisp wheat malt notes. The finish is very crisp and snappy with some wheat tang and citrus quickly leaving the tongue. The body has a solid medium feel with cleansing active carbonation.

Notes: This was my first Kristalweizen and I was very impressed with the bright clean flavor and good solid yeast flavor. There was much more yeast character than I was expecting in this crystal clear German wheat beer.

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Note: this is my favorite "go to" beer. I've drank literally hundreds of these.

A - Beautiful and easily identifiable. Clean. Head is thick and lasts.

S - A bit weak, my first impression was that this might not have any flavor to it.

T - Ah here it is. For such a clean look, its got this nice little bite carried on the carbonation, kinda drying aftertaste. This is delicious cold, but I really prefer all the Stephaners just barely cool, and on occasion warm. These really just get better as you get about 1/3 through the glass its lost its chill.

M - Carbonation carries the flavor, smooth

D - For some time i drank these in place of light beer and would get quite inebriated... its just too easy to down these, and I've got a somewhat easily bothered stomach.

Going to update this the next time I have one warm.

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

I used to drink these on my lunchbreak when I was in the Air Force(only 1 but always wanted more) stationed in Bitburg, Germany. Loved it then, Love it now. What a quality brew from start to finish. Kristall style is somewhat hard to find but well worth a try as it is unique and a great daytime brew.

Appearance is exactly what it says on the bottle....Crystal Clear with lots of fine carbonation and a small consistent head. thats pure white fizzy almost. depending on the pour. I've had an aggressive pour be chunky and everlasting so its versatile. bonus.

There is a Banana and mild malt type smell. Its a beautifly blended taste that is clean to the point and gone. Drinkable at any time but this strikes me as a great daytime lunch beer. The best Kristal Weizen I've had and would be shocked to find one better.

I've often wondered why this style hasn't caught on at our local brewpubs and breweries. Its a great craft beer that I would love to see made by some local breweries.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Well I have to admit that this is probably my favorite beer just for drinking on a hot ad sunny day....always crisp, clean and refreshing, Kristallweiss never disappoints....what I really love about this beer is the feel....it stays perfectly carbonated til the last drop. Those 4 tiny rows of tiny bubbles constantly rising in the glass...it's something to behold. How do the Germans manage that? Nobody carbonates like the Germans.....

4.81/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I love hefs and this beer is everything I'm looking for in an easy drinking beer. It goes down smooth, crisp, and clean. Unlike many light beers, though, there is a defined, full-bodied wheat flavor, with a touch of banana sweetness in the background and no hops to speak of. An absolutely perfect beer for drinking a few pints outside in the warmth of the spring or summertime. It went great with the rich German food I paired it with, but it could go just as easily with something as light as a tuna sandwich. It's beers like this that make me proud of my Bavarian heritage!

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours a Crystal clear pale gold, has a beautiful creamy white head that dissipates moderately quickly, the carbonation looks great.

S - Bubblegum is the dominant aroma with banana following close behind. clove and spice aromas are a little subdued bringing a sweet biscuit like malt smell just behind the foreground There is also a very faint floral hop smell somewhere in the background.

T - Not as intense as the smell, crisp and surprisingly clean malt flavours with a pleasantly fruity taste that lingers.There is also a slight citrus like acidity that is quite nice. a small amount of hop bitterness that balances perfectly with the sweet wheaty malt. overall it has a very light body, but definitely not lacking in flavour.

M - exceptionally smooth and silky with a nice bite from the carbonation.

D - I could drink this stuff from dusk till dawn no problem.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A: very light golden color with a nice thick head
S: bananas, bubblegum, spices (clove especially)
T: same as the nose, and it is delicious...it is basically weihenstephaner hefeweissbier but spicier and lighter in the other ingredients
M: well carbonated and light bodied with a crisp finish
D: i love weihenstephaner and once again they did not disappoint despite my high expectations...it would be a tough call between this and their hefeweissbier, both are fantastic

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Like Weizen-crack. Everytime I lay my eyes on a Weihenstephaner my mouth goes to slavering and I imagine myself sinking a hatchet into the melon of the beer store guy and running off with the lot. Profoundly balanced between the sweet malt and phenols and small dose of bittering hops. Each swig has your buds wailing for more. Peppery nose with the slightest hints of strawberry and banana. As tasty a Kristall as has ever been produced. When the Pope is not kicking out stained-glass windows it's likely he's kicking back with some serious German Wheat beers. Get some.

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan