Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner KristallweissbierWeihenstephaner Kristallweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

A filtered version of a Hefeweizen, showcasing bright and clear bodies from pale straw to light amber. Overall character will be more clean and softer on the palate, and the common banana and phenols will be more subtle.

That is the descprition of a kristalweizen...

Now you taste this beer and you go.... holy shit.... that description is dead on...

Now the question is... did the brewery brew this beer according to the description? Or was the description made because of this beer?

Overall If you liked there heff than this is a cleaner criper lighter yet different feel option. In fact you cannot really compare this to the heff because its in a class all itself. Descriptions mentioned in others reviews and the bros. Is dead on. I am not going to get into certain taste and smell specifics. However, you would be doing yourself a great injustice if you were not to try this beer... its frigging $2.50... I'm amazed.... this brewery is one of less than a handfull of breweries where I love all there offerings.

Btw... best damn looking beer EVEEEERRR!!!!.... golden yellow.. impossibly perfect as the hue is gloriously present yet when put up to the eye you can see straight thru it (personally I could see the white of my fence and the marble colored pieces around the ring of my fire pit.... from 12 feet away). Thick 2 finger cotton white pillowy head that you could float a tomato on....lmao.... decent lacing and ring stuck around thruout... the overall super light feel of the beer mixed in with super light carbonation and that clean, crisp, juicy but dry finish. Just exactly what you would expect.

A great summertime beer and a well rounded perfectly balanced beer. I rate this an oh my god 4.9 because I rate on style. Kristalweizens are not my favorite style. But I will not compare this beer to my love for stouts or DiPa'S .. yea.. this beer is not better than some beers I've tried but its the best of the bunch...

And that'll do pig...

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass. There is no freshness date on the label but there is a bottle number 0079 on the back label.

Appearance: The body has a clear golden color with lots of beautiful carbonation steaming up to the surface. The pour produced a very tall, aggressive and tight foamy head. It has a bright white color with great retention and lacing.

Smell: Its nose is full of fruity yeast with notes of banana and clove. There are notes of pale beady wheat as well and just a touch of citrus.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is very bright and fresh with plenty of fruity yeast. There are notes of banana, clove and a slight hint of citrus fade into dry crisp wheat malt notes. The finish is very crisp and snappy with some wheat tang and citrus quickly leaving the tongue. The body has a solid medium feel with cleansing active carbonation.

Notes: This was my first Kristalweizen and I was very impressed with the bright clean flavor and good solid yeast flavor. There was much more yeast character than I was expecting in this crystal clear German wheat beer.

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

The best of the Weihenstephaners.

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

Note: this is my favorite "go to" beer. I've drank literally hundreds of these.

A - Beautiful and easily identifiable. Clean. Head is thick and lasts.

S - A bit weak, my first impression was that this might not have any flavor to it.

T - Ah here it is. For such a clean look, its got this nice little bite carried on the carbonation, kinda drying aftertaste. This is delicious cold, but I really prefer all the Stephaners just barely cool, and on occasion warm. These really just get better as you get about 1/3 through the glass its lost its chill.

M - Carbonation carries the flavor, smooth

D - For some time i drank these in place of light beer and would get quite inebriated... its just too easy to down these, and I've got a somewhat easily bothered stomach.

Going to update this the next time I have one warm.

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

I used to drink these on my lunchbreak when I was in the Air Force(only 1 but always wanted more) stationed in Bitburg, Germany. Loved it then, Love it now. What a quality brew from start to finish. Kristall style is somewhat hard to find but well worth a try as it is unique and a great daytime brew.

Appearance is exactly what it says on the bottle....Crystal Clear with lots of fine carbonation and a small consistent head. thats pure white fizzy almost. depending on the pour. I've had an aggressive pour be chunky and everlasting so its versatile. bonus.

There is a Banana and mild malt type smell. Its a beautifly blended taste that is clean to the point and gone. Drinkable at any time but this strikes me as a great daytime lunch beer. The best Kristal Weizen I've had and would be shocked to find one better.

I've often wondered why this style hasn't caught on at our local brewpubs and breweries. Its a great craft beer that I would love to see made by some local breweries.

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

A: very light golden color with a nice thick head
S: bananas, bubblegum, spices (clove especially)
T: same as the nose, and it is delicious...it is basically weihenstephaner hefeweissbier but spicier and lighter in the other ingredients
M: well carbonated and light bodied with a crisp finish
D: i love weihenstephaner and once again they did not disappoint despite my high expectations...it would be a tough call between this and their hefeweissbier, both are fantastic

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Like Weizen-crack. Everytime I lay my eyes on a Weihenstephaner my mouth goes to slavering and I imagine myself sinking a hatchet into the melon of the beer store guy and running off with the lot. Profoundly balanced between the sweet malt and phenols and small dose of bittering hops. Each swig has your buds wailing for more. Peppery nose with the slightest hints of strawberry and banana. As tasty a Kristall as has ever been produced. When the Pope is not kicking out stained-glass windows it's likely he's kicking back with some serious German Wheat beers. Get some.

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

serving type - snifter (not by choice but it was very enjoyable this way)

appearance - very clear golden color with not so much head

smell - it smelled like banana, and not the candy banana flavor...like REAL banana

taste - very good, a little of the banana carried over into the taste as well, not bitter possibly a little alcohol taste but it was very enjoyable

mouthfeel - i didn't feel like i had to swallow it immediately

drinkability - i could see myself drinking this very frequently
i have been very partial to Hacker-Pshorr recently but this is definitely a new winner. German wheat beers strike again!!

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.
5.4% ABV, Store dark and keep cool 46° - 52°F, 8201 on the back, "Brewed under the purity law of 1516"

A - LOOK OUT! We got a gusher! Kristall pours -whaddya know?- crystal clear pale yellow straw with abounding carbonation (shit, it almost looks like a Miller Lite!) feeding a four-finger, snow-white head. The dense bubbles even sparkled like snow. Fantastic retention was only slightly hindered by the tip of my nose barely touching the overly fluffy top. No lace left over from the head until I took a sip, at which point thick clumpy lace remained caked to the glass.

S - Despite the beer's clarity, the nose is full of weissbier aromas; big banana Runt yeast esters, dry, soft wheat, pale malts, and the crisp clove spiciness with a light citrus pinch to it. Dare I say, "orgasmic"?

T - The flavor begins very wheat and pale malt driven. Dry and crisp with a light honey-like sweetness complimenting the flavors, it progresses quickly to a yeasty flavor that's bold but not overpowering. Clove spiciness and bold banana Runts blend with clay and white pepper earthiness.

M - Though there is heavy carbonation, it's a smooth drinking beer with a fair level of crispness to the finish. Looks can be deceiving; this one is medium-light bodied despite it's shimmering straw yellow color. Filtration has removed some of that softness the wheat imparts into the mouthfeel, but I'll be damned if this beer doesn't remain smooth as hell.

O - Another Weihenstephaner winner, Kristallweissbier removes the "unsightliness" of the yeast sediment and wheat proteins but keeps the core essence of the beer intact. Plenty of yeast characteristics have been infused so deeply into the beer they can't be taken away; earthy spice and boat-loads of bananas. While the wheat still plays a roll, the pale malt is more pronounced in this crystal clear wheat. Fantastic to the last drop, just make sure it doesn't erupt all over your table!

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of yeast, wheat and bananas along with lemon, light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with a strong flavor of yeast and wheat, which is quickly followed by a nice bite of spice and hops. Flavors of bananas and citrus are also present throughout each sip. The malt character is light but provides just the right amount of sweetness. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not filling at all, decent kick, it’s the first Kristal Weizen that I’ve tried, but this beer has certainly made me look forward to trying more of them. This is a nice refreshing beer that I could drink several of, no matter what the situation. I’m also looking forward to trying more stuff from Weihenstephaner since I’ve now had two excellent beers from them.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Moderate pour yields 1.5 fingers of head that eventually goes away. Crystal clear light yellow liquid. What makes it clear? I guess filtering.

S: Banana and clove, wheat malt. Nearly perfect for a weiss.

T: Hefeweizen flavor all the way. Delicious and solid for that style, I suppose it's spot on for this one too since this is a fintered Hefeweizen. I would say this has perfect flavor

M: A bit thick/chewy? Not bad at all, this beer is smooth as well. The thickness could be from the creamy soup I'm enjoying it with.

D: Strong.