Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,633 | Reviews: 765

500ml bottle.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow color, voluminous white head that takes its time to dissipate, leaves good lacing

Smell: Much cleaner nose than their Hefeweizen, I smell bananas, pears, wheat, and a little light malt.

Taste: Again, a much cleaner taste than the Hefeweizen. Bananas, pears, wheat, light malt, clove, and a touch of nuttiness. I'm assuming the absence of the yeast contributes to the cleaner taste and nose.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, crisp carbonation, very refreshing. Would make for a good hot summer day beer. Slightly dry finish.

Overall: Very good. I would more likely go for other styles by Weihenstephaner, but I could see myself getting this again.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A-On tap at the Tap and Table in a Weisse glass. This was my first Kristall Weisse and I was amazed at the clarity and beautiful gold color. Very unlike a Hefe-Weisse. Lots of carbonation and I small lingering fluffy head.
S- Wonderful ripe bananas.
T- The taste is fantastic. Maybe a little more banana than clove as compared to the Hefe. Very smooth.
MD- This is as creamy as the Hefe and just as easy drinking. This is an all around fantastic beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

healthy, creamy, generous head on top of an energetic effervescent bright straw color.
rich yeasty aroma, but less so than the unfiltered version.
thrist quenching taste; very nice wheat version. subdued, yet pronounced and firm. very easy taste, can surely drown a few of these in succession.
overall, it has a very successful air to it, but commercial still. very nice after a long day at work. everything from the brewery is superb in quality and taste. a nice uneven lace down the sides and the foam clings perfectly. the taste gets thin after it drops toward the belly, but it's a great beer on all sides. straight 4.5's all the way across for me...

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours cyrstal clear with many streams of effervescent bubbles racing to replenish the foamy, rocky aromatic head. This hue of the brew is deceptively light. Remarkable head retention. Aroma is very appealing. The bananas and yeast don't pull any punches. Lemony fragrances grace my nostrils, as do a little grainy wheat. Taste is typical of the quality of I have come to expect from Weihenstephan. Slightly more refined than their regular hefe weizen, to be expected from the filtering process. Flavor begins mildy acidic, with the bitter lemons up front. Gritty wheat compliments uber-smooth pale malt flavor. Towards the end, the clovey bananas jump up and linger into the finish. Moderate carbonation works well with this style, adding a crispness that even affects the aftertaste. After swallowing, you are left with spicy, sparkling bananas. Very pleasing to the palate. Easy drinking weizen bier, Weihenstephan has another winner here.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

500 ml (16.9 oz.) bottle poured into a weizen glass. Part of batch 1438 and comes in at 5.4%.

A-Crystal clear straw yellow with a crackling 2 finger white head. The head slowly goes down to a one finger level. Tons of bubbles continuosly rise from the bottom. This one looks like a thirst quencher.

S-Lots of the usual weiss suspects. Fruit such as green apple and banana as well as a minimum amount of clove and as it warms some bubblegum notes.

T-A whole lot like it smells. The sweet fruits come fast followed by wheat and some clove. The aftertaste is very reminiscent of banana bread.

M-Lighter bodied and very crisp due to the great great amount of carbonation. The lasting head gives this one a nice creamy mouthfeel.

D-Refreshing and it goes down way too easy.

Another great on from Weihenstephaner. The lower abv coupled by its refreshing character make this a great beer that I will seek out many more times.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Sampled last night also on 10/1/14. Comes in a single 500ml (16.9 ounce) bottle for $2.99. From the World's Oldest Brewery (1040 AD). Bottle chille down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a .5l 'Weihenstephaner 2014 World Cup' veissber vase glass.

This 'Kristalweizen' ( From BA: "A filtered version of a Hefeweizen, showcasing bright and clear bodies from pale straw to light amber. Overall character will be more clean and softer on the palate, and the common banana and phenols will be more subtle.") pours a clear light golden-yellow in color with a thick 3+-finger foamy white head that finally settles down to a good 3mm or so. Lots of lacing is seen when sipped, even ring-like and sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of wheat but doesn't look like one and has some spice in there also of bananas and cloves. The same with the taste with some nice sweetness. Lighter to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Very tasty with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. Never had this style of brew before but it is good. PROSIT!

4.49/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured a beautiful clear golden hue with a puffy white 1/2" head that left some clingy lacing on the glass. Nice fizzy carbonation but not overly carbonated.

Smell was of bananas end cloves. The exact smell I was looking for. Also the smell of wheat.

Taste was very fresh. Slight hop bitterness but the weizen yeast flavors stole the show. Bubblegum, banana and clove made my mouth water.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, and the carbonation was almost perfect in the palate. An awesome beer to drink on a hot day for its refreshing qualities. A great alternative to the unfiltered hefeweizens on the market.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer is truely a sight to behold. Poured into my Hacker-Pschorr Weisse glass, with a 2 1/2" head billowing over the top of gold liquid that is not surprisingly "Kristall" clear. The visible carbonation is also very beautiful. Cloves, bananas, malt, and a little hops are all present in the nose of this beer. Taste is very malty , with spicy clove flavors making themselves evident again, smooth aftertaste, all the flavors come together to make this a light, flavorful, very drinkable beer.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this on-tap at a local watering hole. The beer was poured into a tall glass that really showed off the qualities it has to offer.

There was a rich, frothy, lively foam of a head. The color is appropriate for what a filtered beer should be. I understand this is a filtered hefeweizen, so the beer does look very inviting and "clean."

While I am not accustomed to drinking a kristalweizen at all, I found the beer to be surprisingly pleasant. My first thought was, "This is a light version of hefeweizen?" There's more muted flavor profile in this style, so it really does taste light and more refreshing than hefeweizen beers. I can pick up more subtle notes of citrus, banana, and perhaps very light trace of oranges? This was interesting for me because I know this beer was made in a traditional fashion, but yet it still really tastes very good.

Since it's filtered, the beer does feel light and soft on your palate. This was actually refreshing for me as I came into the bar from 85 degrees weather at 10:30pm.

Overall, I would want to try more beers in this style, but I really was enjoying this one. I would drink it more, and I definitely will want to compare this to their Hefeweissbier someday.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoyed on-tap at Apex in Portland from a Weihenstephaner weiss glass. Pours a clear but rich golden color with a 2"
tall white head. Smells of the traditional clove and banana, of course not as much of a yeast smell as the Hefe. Flavor is a little less complesx than the hefe, it retains the same elements of clove and banana, I can taste a little more hops in this than I recall in the Hefe. Mouthfeel is great, very clean and refreshing. Overall, a very drinkable beer. I think personal preference would decide what you may like more this or the hefe. This will certainly be a beer that I share with friends in the future to get them more interested in craft beer.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

First time trying this style, but I knew what to expect. I assume this is the Weihenstephaner Weisse filtered.

A-Beautiful lager golden, clear body with a sticy white wheat head. Steady carbonation coming from the bottom.

S-Huge clove, wheat smell. A grassy, sweet kick makes you want a sip badly.

T-Great weisse beer taste with a nice clove kick at the finish. The fruitiness is subdued, but noticable. A very mild hop presence is tough to detect over the wheat.

M-Tough to be much smoother than this. The cabonation leaves a little sharpness to the body, but it goes down with little resistance.

D-Wouldn't be a problem to drink this all night and day. I am a sucker for a good weisse, kristal or otherwise.

Filtered or not, this beer is awesome and extremely easy to drink. Could be a great "Crossover" beer to the unfortunate BMC ones.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Poured from the bottle into a Weihenstephaner glass. Light golden and perfectly clear with a 3 finger head. Gorgeous.

S: Bananas and bubble gum

T: Bananas, bubblegum, and clove. Spicy on the tongue and oozing with flavor. Lingering yeasty banana notes.

M: Light bodied with a semi dry finish.

O: Just a perfectly crafted beauty. Can easily drink a few of these at 5.4% in the summer time on the porch but I'm fine with drinking this in the blizzard right now too. Not a fan of wheat beers really, but this is magnificent.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

1 pint .9 fl oz. bottle that has all the usual Weihenstephaner bottle art. It still has the brewery crest on the front and their unknown bottle code on the back. I have no idea what 7097 means. I don't know if I should drink it or throw it away. I'll see how it is first.

Appearance: I had everthing in place to pour the beer into a Weizen glass and as soon as I popped the cap, my bottle had a foam explosion. Luckily I was near a sink when this happened. When everything had settled down, I poured the beer and what came out was a clear straw yellow colored beer.. It had one of the best head of foam I've seen on a beer. Not only did it have a foam explosion, but everytime I poured the beer, it had a massive 3 inch head of white foam every time. It took at leat 3 pours to pour the entire bottle into the glass. The color was weak, but that's the style. Whatever was lacking in the color, the head of foam made up for it.

Smell: I thought this beer was going to have a light aroma of just fruits. Boy was I wrong! Instead, it had a heavy delicious aroma of frsh baked banana bread. It smelled so good that it got my hopes up that there was some fresh baked banana bread to be had. There was just one other aroma after that and that was cake batter. Not the most complex aroma out there, but damn if it wasn't delicious.

Taste: For a light beer, it had a nice sized taste of ripe bananas, cloves, wheat bread (not banana bread), toasted malts, orange spice, and a small hint of citrus hops at the end. The taste was just like I said about the aroma, not the most complex taste out there, but I enjoyed every drop of this beer. It's just too bad that the bananas didn't combine with the wheat bread. I guess you can't have everything.

Mouthfeel: It was a super smooth light beer that happened to have a full flavored aftertaste of ripe bananas, ornage spice, and a small pinch of cloves. The aftertaste stuck around for only a few seconds. There really isn't more you can ask for from a light beer.

Drinkability: Where has this beer been all my life! Not only did this beer make me hungry for banana bread, but it would make an excellent choice for a session beer. It doesn't matter what season you're in. This beer would suit any season. I glad I didn't throw this beer away!

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

almost crystal clear dull yellow. the head looks like a medium-stiff meringue... fluffy, almost white, great retention.

i get a whiff of bananas right off the bat. i like bananas. some breadiness.

tastes really clean and refreshing to me. this reminds me of summer time. crisp bready flavors with a hint of banana and some earthiness coming through.

hearty mouth feel yet refreshing at the same time. it's almost palate cleansing.

great drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a clear golden-straw color. The ivory colored head is initially very tall, with a patchy, foamy, and rocky texture as it slowly settles. Retention is solid, and irregular lacing sticks to the glass.

S: A mild, slightly sour graininess with a bit of dusty sweetness. Clove is prevalent, with lesser fruity notes of banana and pear. A standard German herbal hop note is also present.

T: Sweet and lightly sour up front, with clean wheat malt flavors. Fruity - the usual banana along with pear and perhaps some golden apple. Moderate clove and bubblegum flavor. A light touch of German hops provides a bit of focus.

M: Medium-light mouthfeel. Generally soft and creamy, with mild carbonation. Eminently refreshing on this hot evening.

D: Another winner from Weihenstephaner. I was a bit apprehensive about a filtered version of such a yeast-forward beer, but this is subtle, refreshing, and enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Aroma is banana and clove all the way. Sweet and spicy. Just what you'd expect in a good hefeweizen.

Pours a very clear (obviously) blonde in my glass with a nice, rocky head that persists quite well.

Carbonation is definitely pretty high here. Taste follows the nose pretty well, with good amounts of banana and clove dominating the taste, with some bubble gum. There's even a touch of hops at the end, with clove lingering after the swallow. It's perhaps a tad watery on the finish. It tastes just like a great hefeweizen should, but a little thinner. Not lacking in flavor at all. Only complaint could be the carbonation level, but that's minor.

All in all, a big time winner from a brewery which seemingly does no wrong.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

This brew really is a crystal clear light straw color. Big rocky white head with nice retention tops the brew. Really nice nose. Some wezen characteristics like banana and vanilla, but also a nice scent of belgian-like yeast. Very solid vanilla and banana tastes on the palate. Spicy, peppery notes also dance around. This is a little more subdued in the tastes than a great German Hefe-weizen. But this is really nice. I like this a lot. I haven't had many kristall weiss beers. I must say that I will be trying more in the future to see how they compare to this one.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

As amazing as their Hefe in it's own unique way.

Serving type: bottle (I'm sure this would be even better on tap)

Appearance: A crystal clear light golden color with a thick creamy white head that lasts quite awhile, finally dissipating into a nice lace on the glass.

Smell: Fresh, clean, light, malt and citrusy hops.

Taste: Very clean and refreshing, beautiful malt and hop balance, touch of lemon, a hint of alcohol, clean but slightly spicy wheat finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and lively carbonation, light body, clean and refreshing.

Drinkability: Wonderful, this is a fantastic and refreshing session beer.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

500ml bottle into a New Glarus weizen glass.

A: Pours an appropriately clear gold with plenty of carbonation creating a gorgeous, ultra-tight white head that rises above the brim of the glass and settles gently into a persistent cap. The only downside is a nearly complete lack of lace - but I can live with that. This looked absolutely amazing when first poured.

S: Powerful aroma of clove, banana, lemongrass, cinnamon, ginger, and wheat. The spice notes really, really dominate: this is hands down the spiciest aroma I've ever encountered in a beer brewed without additional spice. Breathtaking.

T: Starts out with bready malt and wheat, followed quickly by a wave of clove. The banana esters show themselves on the finish, but quickly give way to a dry and super-spicy aftertaste, with pepper, cinnamon, and ginger joining the clove. Very complex, intense, and tasty.

M: Apparently all the carbonation went to the head, as the beer's less lively on the palate than I'd like. Not too bad, though.

D: The spice flavors are amazing, but without much carbonation to cleanse the palate they get a trifle overwhelming. Not quite as easy to drink as I'd like, but still enjoyable throughout.

edit: I originally gave this a 3.5 for Drinkability, but am now changing my score to a 4.5 for Overall upon revisiting it. It's just as amazing as the first time - actually a bit better, as the mouthfeel is terrific this time around. Classic beer.

Notes: This is my first Kristalweizen, and it really blew me away. I feared that without the presence of yeast all the estery complexities of Weihenstephan's incredible hefeweizen would be lost. I'm very glad to say that this is not the case. While I would still rather have their hefe, I'm truly impressed (and nearly in disbelief) that anything brewed within the Reinheitsgebot can have so many bold, spicy flavors. Great stuff, and highly underrated at an overall B+. My guess is that this brew defines the style, so how is this not an A?

Cheers!

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1/03/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 16.9 oz bottle with a "2234" code on the back label. Poured into my Orleans wiezen glass.

Appearance- Straw yellow coloring, Nice foamy and creamy white head that is still there halfway through the bottle. Light lacing and beautiful strands of carbonated bubbles making their way to the surface.

Smell- A bit worried because I had the same metallic scent as I had in the Weihenstephaner lager yesterday. Also some decent scents of clove and pear.

Taste- Oh wow, this is some good s**t! Thankfully no metal taste here. This one is full of flavor. Lots of subtle cloves and spices. Some banana mixed in as well. Extrememly crisp and clean. Very impressed.

Mouthfeel- Moderate to high carbonation, but still goes down very smooth because of it's crisp aspects. Dare I even say a bit creamy?

Drinkability- Wish I had bought a few more of these. Outstanding tasting brew. Have a hefe in the fridge of this brand that I can't wait to try. Maybe sometime this week. Grab this bad boy if you see it.

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%

Now this is a nice beer. I poured the bottle into my Weizen glass liberated from the English Gardens in Munchen.

A--Beautifully clear golden yellow with a nice head that does not dissipate. The bubbbles keep rising much like champagne. This is one good looking beer.

S-Very clean smelling for a Weiss beer. Subtle notes of clove and banana are detectable.

T-Clean and refreshing upon forst sip. Nice yeasty aftertaste, subtle hop flavour with clove and banana notes.

M-Nice carbonation here but not overly so.

D- I could go through alot of these.

This is one hell of a beer. I could see myself quaffing alot of these. If i close my eyes i can picture myself in the English Gardens. This is a great beer for all hefeweizen and weiss lovers

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle poured into a weiss glass.

A: Pale yellow and crystal clear with about 2 fingers worth of head. Settled to a nice ring with very nice lacing. Sweet looking beer.

S: Wow, I'm loving the smell here... Like a Hef, just cleaner... Wheat, yeast, clove and citrus. Overall a crispness to the smell.

T: Wow again.... Sweet & tart, nicely balanced. Again like a Hef but cleaner and crisper than other Hefs I've had. Very light on the yeast and wheat shines though.

M: Low to mid bodied, this is where it differs from most Hefs I've had.... not a thick, carbonation a little heavier than normal Hefs and it feels Crisper and dryer.

D: Just a wonderful beer and the low ABV helps alot.... I could drink a few of these, very refreshing and a wonder drink. A must try.

My first Weihenstephaner in my 5 pack.... Great start !!

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Very clear pour with a very thick head which remained during the entire bottle. Very good carbonation.

Faint aromas of fruit.

Very clear flavors of banana and citrus. Grainy but very smooth. The carbonation really adds to the moutfeel. The bubbles last well after tasting and much to the overall drink.

Very good Weissbier, can't wait to try other from this brewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drunk from an old Schneiders .5 l glass. Quite possibly some of the most ferocious ubiquitous beading I have ever seen in a glass. Super pure white big big two to three inch rocky head tops the light yelly crystal clear body. Takes an awfully long time to pour.
Has an almost liquorice (Duvelesque??)nose with restrained slight peppery spiky clove to taste but not at all over the top.
Body has a beautiful lightness of touch and is far removed from what can be that cloying heaviness often associated with other wheat beers.
I'm not a session, or 'sessionable' type of guy but I could drink this all day long.

Hugely enjoyable. Love it.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

I purchased this beer at State Line Liquors in Elkton MD. Poured from the 1/2 liter bottle into a wheat glass

A - A very transparent golden straw w/ visible carbonation and a pillowy whipped snowy head. The cap has an ultra fine bead and strings fo lace collect as the head compresses

S - A very clove scented nose w/ a sweet overripe banana under the spiced yeast ester. A sweetened wheat cereal note and mild pepper w/a gentle nutty odor and very crisp aroma of banana balances the aroma

M - A moderately highly carbonated, crisp feel w/ subtle fruit-like sweetness and mild nutty texture w/ silky smooth middle and mildly spiced finish. The pepper and malt is resonating with mellow yeast creaminess after the taste

T - A very flavorful brew w/ banana that has ripened combined w/ a mild wheat creamy taste w/ light nuttiness and spice, but the flavor is very gentle and nuanced by the mellow yeast profile which hints at banana w/ out giving the beer a tangy sugary taste, more cream of wheat smoothness into the light clean finish

D - A very drinkable wheat beer which would be great for a hot day or not, creamy smooth and refreshing qualities. Lighter feel than that of a Hefe w/ all of the flavor of wheat - I find this to be very drinkable wheat - Prost!

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan