Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 760 | Hads: 1,651
2.28/5  rDev -43%

Pours a two finger head, rather thin and lacking body. Light straw colored with a good bit of bubble dancing to the surface. Nothing a light lager doesn't do but I suppose if you're into this look it's ok. Doesn't have that explosive nature of a Belgium or even some macros.

A sweet and almost sour nose. A good hop back ground that has that earthy euro sour hop nature to it. Bubble gum finishes the beer. Very dry finish even in the nose.

Hops oddly come out first in this one. That sour hoppy effect (I'm sure the yeast is a big factor here). The beer the finishes with bubble gum as if it uses a hefe yeast strain. I have to admit this is a style I've never had before so I'm a bit confused. It has a nature similar to some Belgium with a german hefe finish. The beer amazingly finishes pretty dry. As it warms and gets flat it's reminding me more and more of a dry hefe. I think that means it's missing some of the key elements of a hefe, but at the same time this beer serves a purpose with more foods I think.

Very drinkable, I could have a tone of these if not for....

The mouth feel on this beer is just bad. Way too much carbination. I'm burping all over the place, and the bubble nearly explode in my mouth. I like to feel the bubbles, not to have all my beer turn into head in my mouth so I can burp it back up. I'm pretty sure this is common of the style as all their beers seem to be perfect execution of the styles, but this honestly is really off putting in an otherwise very worthy beer.

Worth noting that after the beer has had a chance to deflate it's pretty nice in the mouth feel department. I'm not sure how to score it though. It had that over carbonated effect for nearly half the beer. It's calmed down a lot and is almost a creamy with a pretty good carbonation bite.

As with all styles I'm not a lover of. Style considered but scored mostly on its own merits.

Always worth point out the price point on the beer in question. 16.9 oz at 2.99. That works out to 12.73 for a 6 pack. Or 11.89 if they were in 11.2oz bottles. Not a bad price really. You factor in that expected marginal discount and you might very well in 11.2 oz bottles see this for 9.99 which imo would make it a great deal. Marketing departments, I'm doing the work for you! (2,278 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -38%

Bright, almost neon golden color with a small quick-fading head. I think this is the first time I've ever been able to see through a glass of weissbier. All the cloudiness has been filtered out, and more's the pity. I guess that's why it's called "Crystal", though. Anyhoo...

Smells like bananas. Maybe there's a tiny little bit of something else in here, like cloves or something, but all I smell is bananas.

Tastes like, you guessed it, bananas. Slight (very slight) spicy kick, sweet banana finish. I sure could go for some yeast or hops or malt or, well... ANYTHING to balance out the banana flavor.

This doesn't exactly taste bad, but oy, the bananas! There's no way I could drink more than one bottle of this stuff. If you love bananas, then here's your drink. Otherwise, steer clear. (799 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Weihenstephaner- Kristallweissbier

Appearance- light yellow almost clear with billions of bubbles and a huge thick frothy head.
Smell- light and sweet hefe(Banana and clove).
Taste- watery banana and clove with a dash of peppermint gum?! Actually tastes like candy cigerettes.
Mouthfeel- candy sweet. Light. Mix a hefe with some champagne.

Overall- maybe a beer to use for a celebration toast but other than that there's no reason to really drink the light sugar water. Wasn't bad but not 1 I'll revisit. (513 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Format: standard 500mL brown bottle, traditional German label.

Appearance: looks too light for a wheat beer, and unusual since it is crystal clear. The usual inch of white head has been replaced with a fizing half inch that fluffs away to virtually nothing. So far I'm not impressed.

Aroma: a good aroma of light wheats, some spices and a touch of some form of cereals. Not nearly as good as their unfiltered wheat beers, but pleasant enough.

Taste: the traditional German weissbier flavours are there, but are very weak and muted. A touch of wheat, banana and spice. I'm not a fan of kristallweissbier, it turns out.

Aftertaste: the flavours drop away far too quickly.

Mouth feel: light in body with moderate to higher carbonation. Feels more like a lager than a wheat beer.

Overall: as this is a Weihenstephaner, I've no doubt that this is a well-made kristallweissbier. It is also the first kristal I have had to date, and judging by this experience it will be the last. It feels flat, flaccid and with the usual wheat beer aromas and flavours dulled down almost to nothingness. The style comes across as a low carb beer is to a lager - pretty pointless. Since I can get their hefeweizen for actually less than the equivalent price of AU$68 a case of 24 x 330mL for the kristal, it's a no-brainer. (1,307 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -33.8%

This beer had a large off-white head when it was poured into my glass.This was just an okay beer to me.Nothing all that special in my opinion.I picked up an aroma that reminded me of bananas.Definitely not one of the better German Wheat beers that I have tasted. (262 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -26.5%

This brew has a mild fruity banana aroma. A very lively pour resulting in a very large off white head that last lasted a fairly long time but left little to no lacing. It's body was a very light transparent yellow orange color. This brew has a mild banana flavor to boot. Mild carbonated taste with little to no after bite. Not enough character in this brew to make me appreciate it fully. (389 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Pours clear with a very pale straw, almost white color with a massive foamy head that occupies half of my weizen glass

S: Much like their original hefeweizen (banana, clove, pepper, spice) except a bit more subdued in total aromatic output and slightly phenolic.

T: Plenty of spice and a bit of banana flavor with an odd sweetness and more phenols. Again, somewhat like the original, except with half the taste

M: Thin and watery with moderate carbonation.

D: This is my first time with a kristall weizen, and I can't figure out why anybody would want to drink this as opposed to a hefeweizen. This brewery's original hefe is one of my all-time favorite beers, but this one is lacking the intense taste and aroma of its contemporary. I can't think of any reason to buy this one again. (801 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

500 mL bottle

This one started good, the pour is a dark straw/light gold with large white head. Smell was wheat, yeast and minor citrus. Taste was subtle citrus, wheat and very slight hops. The mouthfeel really is odd though, to be this is waaay too much body for the taste and aroma that come with it. This was to the point of excessive filling in my book. For such a light beer I want a light body too, or more taste.

I won't likely buy this again. (456 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -25.3%

First time I tried a so called kristal weizen, and I really wasn't too impressed... although this brew definitely scores for appearance, with a nice frothy head that def has staying power, the smell is only slightly appealing, and the taste is about average compared to some other brews of similiar style... definitely prefer the hefes over this one... the taste is more subdued, and the citrus and wheat flavor less apparent in this particular type of brew... a little more bitter than what i was expecting... A little better than average sample, but not too sure if I'd purchase this one again, especially considering the fact that a 16.9 oz bottle ran me $2.50... (666 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

500mL bottle, a code o "4042" on the back label, not sure the meaning.

appears clear golden color, huge 2 inch bone-white head, that fades down to thin covering.

aroma is still the familiar hefeweizen aroma - wheat, and herbal yeast. taste is a bit "cleaner". lower banana and clove notes. thin body, fizzy carbonation.

overall - I like it better that most hefe's, but I still wouldn't seek it out again. (410 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into a 0.5L weizen glass.

Pours a clear and clean light golden color that forms a ridiculously white fat and frothy head - around three fingers in width. Very pilsner looking. After a few minutes, the head will settle down and shrink in head size, with the bubbles becoming finer as well. Not much carbonating activity either when held up to the light. Without the head, it looks like a very flat brew, yet Weihenstephaner never disappoints in the head-forming department. The smell is reminiscent of the hefeweissbier, but much lighter. The banana and yeast are both still very above all, but at a smaller prominence than its brother product. Very simple, yet still delightful in every way. The taste is also very light and minimal - I was surprised. It's really like drinking banana flavored water. Very, very little going on flavorwise. The slight banana flavor is all you really taste. No wheat and bready chewiness like the regular Hefeweissbier. There's also no lingering aftertaste of any sort. It's like the filter was solely for the appearance and taste. It's nothing exciting to me at all.

This kristalweizen has an incredibly light-bodied mouthfeel with little to no carbonation in the mouth. Definite turn-off, which is definitely affecting its drinkability. Drinkability is fair. It's easy in a sense that it's very light and probably refreshing in the summertime, but not drinkable through the flavor department. Again, it's very watery and mild in flavor. And again, banana-flavored water. I can't see myself having this for a night's session. I'd definitely choose the Hefeweissbier instead.

As for my first kristalweizen, I was hoping for a bit more than what I expected, especially from the Weihenstephaner brewery. Maybe it's how all kristalweizens are, but I'll go the extra effort and go for the hefeweizen instead. I truly hope this was just a bad bottle or something. (1,900 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.5%

One question...why?

Ya...it's okay but nowhere near worthy of its brethren. All that makes Weihenstaphaner the king is filtered out in this offering. Taste isn't important to those that opt for this over unfiltered.

Do yourself a favor and drink the unfiltered weissbiers...or have a lager instead if you must. (312 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.5%

Brilliant yellow with a bodacious thick foam that coats the glass going down.

Juicy fruit aromas on the nose. Hardly any hop action. Popcorny.

Slippery mouthfeel with the carbonation all in the head. Medium bodied.

This is a drinkable, but leaves an undesirable minerally aftertaste. (286 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23%

Pours blechy yellow. Well carbonated, decent aroma of the more common than you'd think banana and straw malt.

Taste is good enough for a kristal. Mildly impressed, thought it would be worse frankly. Has some zip and zest to it, yeast imbibes a neat, but restrained fruity appeal. Mouthfeel, doesn't go anywhere, but that's ok, it starts out good enough. Drinkable moreso in hot weather I'd imagine.

Too expensive ($5) per bottle to warrant a return. (452 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23%

A-Pours a very clear golden color with loads of sparkly white head. I think this one might have had a gusher infection or else was very over-carbonated.

S-Loads of clove-y yeast esters with some wheat notes and not a lot else.

T- Some wheat and quite a bit of clove yeast esters with a light, crisp bitterness.

M-Crisp and medium bodied although the wheat contributes a bit to body and feel.

D-Never have been a fan of the German weissbiers, and this is no exception. Although they're not my favorite, I can always appreciate a well-crafted brew. (550 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -22.8%

Another Kristal Weizen that was fantastic to look at .
Clear, it has a head that stayed right to the end and a bead that fizzed all through.
From there I was let down The smell had nothing particular characteristic other than "wheat beer".
The style suggests it should be soft and clean on the palte , this bordered on astringent ,perhaps because there was a clove flavour dominance.
It developed through the palate which made it interesting and drinkable but far more like a hefe weizen than I was expecting (512 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Serving Type:1pt .9fl oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a bright golden yellow w/ ample carbonation fizzing to the top leaving plenty of lacing behind. Poured w/ a 2 finger head that to quickly left

Smell: Fruit....banana's and peaches perhaps. a touch of spice mixed in, cloves is my guess

Taste/Mouthfeel: Crisp but a bit of the carbonation comes through w/ a odd feeling on the tongue. A bit of "bite" from the carbonation feels slighty out of place. That "bite" from the carbonation actually masks a lot of the flavour of this beer. The banana/peach taste is there but it feels like one of those Non-alcoholic ciders you give to children during Christmas time...meaning the taste is washed away quickly cause of the carbonation. The carbonation lingers more than the taste does which is a bit odd to me

Drinkability: Hmmmm...it's drinkable and good at cleansing the palate. Enjoyable enough but is a bit "tame" (912 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

Pale golden color with lots of head that sticks around for awhile then leaves a layer of fine bubbles to cover almost the entire surface of the beer.

All the fruity esters common to a hefe are here, just more subdued.

Light, almost too light in the flavor department- I think its just the mouthfeel that makes it seem so thin to me though. (345 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -22%

Split a 15 oz bottle with fellow BA infi. Poured into a hefeweizen glass.

Very, very pale yellow and crystal clear; it certainly looks as advertised. Massive head that is almost pure white in color, takes its sweet time to dissipate into about a quarter inch layer. Smell has the characteristic hefe banana smell, but far more subdued, which is obviously from the filtering. Still a very nice smell.

The taste is really where it departs from every other Weihenstephaner offering I've had. Like the look, it's quite light on flavoring. The banana is present, but extremely subdued. Actually, not sure if subdued is the right word. Watered-down would probably be the appropriate term. It tastes as if the filtering removed most of the flavoring from the beer. Not sure if that's what the intent is, but it certainly wasn't very tasty. Hops were nonexistent and the finish is mild and forgettable, certainly not the pleasant bready chewiness I'm used to from this brewery. No aftertaste of which to speak. Mouthfeel is devoid of carbonation, making me think that we got a bad bottle or something. Very light, almost like water.

Drinkability is relatively high because of the lightness of it all, but I don't know why you'd want to drink more than one of these, because it just seems like a neutered hefeweizen.

Here's hoping that it was a bad bottle because this is the first Weihenstephaner brew I haven't liked. (1,416 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -22%

A: very limited carbonation that subsides quickly to a limited head, light yellow, pale urine gold

S: a cloying sweetness with notes of rice and sugary malt

T: This is difficult to define because it is almost non-existent. You taste it and within a second it imparts a mild sweetness, a hint of biscuit and is gone. The water is the predominate flavor on the palate. Slight tartness for a fleeting moment is the most noteworthy aspect of the beer and it is gone as soon as it begins, welcoming another sip almost antagonistically.

M: The mouthfeel is amongst the lightest I have ever experienced, as soon as it initiates it shuts down like a computer with boot sector problems, there is no coating, no maltiness imparted on the palate. you could brush your teeth and then drink this with little reprocussions. A forgettable experience to both mout

Narrative: Oh great, he's going to continue on this subject "And the funny thing about arthoropoda is most people think phylum is defined by the phonemes in the" jesus, how long can one date last. Well at least this is memorable, not like my last date off of Jdate.com, the water salesman.
What was his name? John? James? Jerem- I can't even recall. It was as though that trip to the generic predictable restaurant didn't even happen. I think I had the ahi tuna, no, well there was that one moment when he...what was it? I was something mildly sweet and interesting, for a fleeting second. Oh he made a small crane out of the bill. Totally forgetable.

"-and so most gastropods stomachs aren't technically their FOOT as the latin name would connote" Oh shit, he is still going, I dont know what is worse, a memorable date for the wrong reasons or a forgetable date for the right reasons. "Check please." (1,756 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -21.5%

pours a "crystal-clear" straw blonde into my weihenstephan glass. Huge pillowy white head dissapates, but not much. Looks pilsy, but with a big, fluffy wheatbeer head.

smells of a sour bread, some banana. some spices, but I can't put my finger on it. whatever it is, I'm not a big fan. I like the sweet fruity banana smell, not this pungent sour smell. If I had to describe it, I would say it is rotten orange rind.

With that delicious thought in mind - on to the tasting!

tastes like a decent hefe, but it is deceiveing because of the filtration. It almost comes off as a hefe-light. As it warms, the bananas come to the front.

this is a crisp, clean beer for the weiss styles. I wasn't really keen on the smell, but maybe I'll have to revisit this one in the summer when I'll appreciate the style more. (816 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -20.3%

Starting to really love this brewery's beers....Again with the over the top head. This pours a super clear lemon yellow - massively carbonated and coats of lacing. Another beautiful pour. Aromas are as expected - some bready malt, some citrus peel. Not as robust by any means as the Vitus, but still good. Also some lavender in there, and maybe some other herbaceous notes - like marjoram, way in the back. Flavor lacks the punch of their other beers. This is clearly meant to be a session beer that appeals to non-beer drinkers. 5.4% ABV proves this to be the case. Starts off bready and crisp, without much of either the citrus or herb notes present. It (d)evolves into a very thin wash of crispness that has the faint hint of what might be hops. Finish is short, to the point, and thin. I think it obviously accomplishes its goal, but unfortunately, in my opinion, it's an "own goal" at final tally. Like usual, super well-priced at $2.79/pint+.9oz. bottle.

What I like most: The price and beautiful pour.

What I like least: The thin flavor profile.

Verdict: Even at $2.79/bottle, not truly worth it unless you want to drink a lot of beer on a hot day. (1,158 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20%

Just tried this beer from what the bottle says is the oldest brewery in the world.
The pour was light gold with a huge head that sat atop the brew like a crown , and the smell faint smell of alcohol & hops.
The taste was a malty sweetness that has a hint of cloves with a nice clean finish and hardly a hint of aftertaste.
This is a good beer and I'm glad to have tried it. but for the cost I could spend my money more wisely.
Price: 1pint $4.99 (449 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.8%

Beer pours a hazy straw color.

Beer smells slightly of clove, slightly grassy and slightly bready.

Beer tastes very sharply of bananna and clove initially and then fades away into a slight citrus taste.

Beer has way too much carbonation. Very light in body.

An OK Weissbeir, but too much carbonation for my tastes. (318 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.8%

500ml bottle drank from a weizen glass. batch 5269 is on the back label.

A- this one pours out a very clear pale golden colored body with a bright white head that wont quit. almost complete rings of lacing are left behind. many small bubbles of carbonation can be seen racing to the top of my glass.

S- a very weak odor comes out of this one for a wheat beer. light banana and clove with a little bit of bubblegum. very lightly smelling of noble hops. yeast if the strongest scent here.

T- the taste is also weak, but pleasant. yeast comes through the most. lightly spiced with coriander, clove, banana, and bubblegum. noble hops play a bigger part in this ones taste than in most wheats.

M- medium bodied with a high level of carbonation.

D- give me the unfiltered version any day. i dont think id buy it like this again. (828 characters)

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan