Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner KristallweissbierWeihenstephaner Kristallweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros
AWWONG

12-19-2011 00:40:50 | More by VikeMan
bobhits

Kentucky

2.33/5  rDev -42.3%

Pours a two finger head, rather thin and lacking body. Light straw colored with a good bit of bubble dancing to the surface. Nothing a light lager doesn't do but I suppose if you're into this look it's ok. Doesn't have that explosive nature of a Belgium or even some macros.

A sweet and almost sour nose. A good hop back ground that has that earthy euro sour hop nature to it. Bubble gum finishes the beer. Very dry finish even in the nose.

Hops oddly come out first in this one. That sour hoppy effect (I'm sure the yeast is a big factor here). The beer the finishes with bubble gum as if it uses a hefe yeast strain. I have to admit this is a style I've never had before so I'm a bit confused. It has a nature similar to some Belgium with a german hefe finish. The beer amazingly finishes pretty dry. As it warms and gets flat it's reminding me more and more of a dry hefe. I think that means it's missing some of the key elements of a hefe, but at the same time this beer serves a purpose with more foods I think.

Very drinkable, I could have a tone of these if not for....

The mouth feel on this beer is just bad. Way too much carbination. I'm burping all over the place, and the bubble nearly explode in my mouth. I like to feel the bubbles, not to have all my beer turn into head in my mouth so I can burp it back up. I'm pretty sure this is common of the style as all their beers seem to be perfect execution of the styles, but this honestly is really off putting in an otherwise very worthy beer.

Worth noting that after the beer has had a chance to deflate it's pretty nice in the mouth feel department. I'm not sure how to score it though. It had that over carbonated effect for nearly half the beer. It's calmed down a lot and is almost a creamy with a pretty good carbonation bite.

As with all styles I'm not a lover of. Style considered but scored mostly on its own merits.

Always worth point out the price point on the beer in question. 16.9 oz at 2.99. That works out to 12.73 for a 6 pack. Or 11.89 if they were in 11.2oz bottles. Not a bad price really. You factor in that expected marginal discount and you might very well in 11.2 oz bottles see this for 9.99 which imo would make it a great deal. Marketing departments, I'm doing the work for you!

10-07-2010 08:03:54 | More by bobhits
diamonddave

2.48/5  rDev -38.6%

Bright, almost neon golden color with a small quick-fading head. I think this is the first time I've ever been able to see through a glass of weissbier. All the cloudiness has been filtered out, and more's the pity. I guess that's why it's called "Crystal", though. Anyhoo...

Smells like bananas. Maybe there's a tiny little bit of something else in here, like cloves or something, but all I smell is bananas.

Tastes like, you guessed it, bananas. Slight (very slight) spicy kick, sweet banana finish. I sure could go for some yeast or hops or malt or, well... ANYTHING to balance out the banana flavor.

This doesn't exactly taste bad, but oy, the bananas! There's no way I could drink more than one bottle of this stuff. If you love bananas, then here's your drink. Otherwise, steer clear.

10-08-2004 02:34:00 | More by diamonddave

NJpadreFan

2.53/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Weihenstephaner- Kristallweissbier

Appearance- light yellow almost clear with billions of bubbles and a huge thick frothy head.
Smell- light and sweet hefe(Banana and clove).
Taste- watery banana and clove with a dash of peppermint gum?! Actually tastes like candy cigerettes.
Mouthfeel- candy sweet. Light. Mix a hefe with some champagne.

Overall- maybe a beer to use for a celebration toast but other than that there's no reason to really drink the light sugar water. Wasn't bad but not 1 I'll revisit.

03-02-2006 20:23:28 | More by NJpadreFan
hotstuff

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -34.4%

This beer had a large off-white head when it was poured into my glass.This was just an okay beer to me.Nothing all that special in my opinion.I picked up an aroma that reminded me of bananas.Definitely not one of the better German Wheat beers that I have tasted.

07-11-2003 14:00:12 | More by hotstuff
rw1992

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

05-12-2014 03:23:55 | More by rw1992
hobbes2112

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

500 mL bottle

This one started good, the pour is a dark straw/light gold with large white head. Smell was wheat, yeast and minor citrus. Taste was subtle citrus, wheat and very slight hops. The mouthfeel really is odd though, to be this is waaay too much body for the taste and aroma that come with it. This was to the point of excessive filling in my book. For such a light beer I want a light body too, or more taste.

I won't likely buy this again.

06-15-2004 23:36:41 | More by hobbes2112
klewis

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

A: Pours clear with a very pale straw, almost white color with a massive foamy head that occupies half of my weizen glass

S: Much like their original hefeweizen (banana, clove, pepper, spice) except a bit more subdued in total aromatic output and slightly phenolic.

T: Plenty of spice and a bit of banana flavor with an odd sweetness and more phenols. Again, somewhat like the original, except with half the taste

M: Thin and watery with moderate carbonation.

D: This is my first time with a kristall weizen, and I can't figure out why anybody would want to drink this as opposed to a hefeweizen. This brewery's original hefe is one of my all-time favorite beers, but this one is lacking the intense taste and aroma of its contemporary. I can't think of any reason to buy this one again.

03-25-2006 01:46:27 | More by klewis
TheDM

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev -27%

This brew has a mild fruity banana aroma. A very lively pour resulting in a very large off white head that last lasted a fairly long time but left little to no lacing. It's body was a very light transparent yellow orange color. This brew has a mild banana flavor to boot. Mild carbonated taste with little to no after bite. Not enough character in this brew to make me appreciate it fully.

07-05-2003 12:40:31 | More by TheDM
dsa7783

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

First time I tried a so called kristal weizen, and I really wasn't too impressed... although this brew definitely scores for appearance, with a nice frothy head that def has staying power, the smell is only slightly appealing, and the taste is about average compared to some other brews of similiar style... definitely prefer the hefes over this one... the taste is more subdued, and the citrus and wheat flavor less apparent in this particular type of brew... a little more bitter than what i was expecting... A little better than average sample, but not too sure if I'd purchase this one again, especially considering the fact that a 16.9 oz bottle ran me $2.50...

11-22-2007 01:09:53 | More by dsa7783
sj660

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

Brilliant yellow with a bodacious thick foam that coats the glass going down.

Juicy fruit aromas on the nose. Hardly any hop action. Popcorny.

Slippery mouthfeel with the carbonation all in the head. Medium bodied.

This is a drinkable, but leaves an undesirable minerally aftertaste.

03-23-2011 20:47:53 | More by sj660