Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner KristallweissbierWeihenstephaner Kristallweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

In our golden-yellow crystal-clear wheat beer the fresh citrus flavour harmonises very well with spicy banana notes. The fine sparkling gives it a tangy and animated appearance. Throughout summer and winter, it’s a prickling experience. It goes well with fish, seafood, white meat or it can be enjoyed as an aperitif. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 771 | Hads: 1,687
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours clear, golden to honey with tons of bubbles. 4 fingers+ white fluffy head. Slight lacing and minimal head retention

Smell: huge banana notes, some cloves, estery

Taste: Banana peel, slight vanilla notes, wheat malt and a very clean finish. Just not a huge fan of this flavor, but true to style

MF; Effervescent and well balanced

Very drinakble once you get past the bananas, but a good summer-time quincher. Fans of the hefe genre will love it

3.39/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle Inspection: Brown 16.9 fl. oz. bottle, 5.4% abv. store dark, keep cool, (46 – 52 degrees F.

Aroma: Faint bubblegum and wheat, with whiffs of noble hops and a touch of alcohol

Appearance: Pours into my tall glass with an impressive 3 finger white head that dies back to a rocky finger leaving traces of lace before the first sip. Glass is bright gold and like the label says, crystal clear.

Flavor: Grain/wheat flavor is pronounced, hints of bubblegum and light fruit esters, slight lemon rind. Overall, a clean and simple taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body, very strong carbonation level leaves it a bit fizzy

Overall Impression: A very enjoyable beer. The carbonation level is the only thing I have some problems with. It’s pretty to look at, has a pleasant and simple taste, and a fair nose. A good lawnmower in my book.

2.53/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Weihenstephaner- Kristallweissbier

Appearance- light yellow almost clear with billions of bubbles and a huge thick frothy head.
Smell- light and sweet hefe(Banana and clove).
Taste- watery banana and clove with a dash of peppermint gum?! Actually tastes like candy cigerettes.
Mouthfeel- candy sweet. Light. Mix a hefe with some champagne.

Overall- maybe a beer to use for a celebration toast but other than that there's no reason to really drink the light sugar water. Wasn't bad but not 1 I'll revisit.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

500ml bottle bought from the Vineyard, Belfast

Poured a light golden yellow / straw colour... White head poured big and foamy and a nice thin layer lasted until near the end...

Aroma - Pepperiness, clove notes, banana and hints of vanilla, floral, bubblegum...

Taste – Nice creamy maltiness, floral, definite cloves and banana, some honey, citrusy, slight metallic notes, some spiciness...

Feel - Quite sharp. Light body. Extremely drinkable...

Overall - An excellent beer.... Recommended...

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Its been forever since I've delved into this style, and usually I wait to have a Kristal Weizen (or any Weizen) until summer when the days are humid and long...but on this winter day, I shared one with my girlfriend who was jealous of all the money I was spending on fancy beers for myself....

A - Great appearance. Kristal clear (get it) like it should be, along with a wee bit of lacing and nice head retention.

S - A very sweet/wheaty nose on this one, instantly reminding me of my days as a student in Luther Stadt Wittenberg, SA (when I guzzled HWs daily....lunch-time not-withstanding)

T - Nice solid sprectrum of sweetness. A very stong banana overtone which really makes this one lady friendly. The yeastiness kicks in fast, and never really allows the alcohol to break through. A small presence of spiciness, but overall a citrusy dominance. Definitely sweet.

M/D - Very smooth. Exactly why any weizen should be had after mowing the lawn. This kristall finishes very crisply, and begs one to have another swig. Have to reiterate this point: A very clean finish.

O - great example of the style.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Served in the brewery's Weissbier glass at just over fridge temperature. Freshness code reads 2043. 16 oz. bottle.

Appearance- A filtered, lighter amber version of their Hefeweizen... much clearer, with a generous three finger head that settles nicely to a mat.

Smell- Thick, fat, moist banana bread with some phenols present... and an underlying sweetness. Reminds me of the unforgettable nose on Cantillon's "Fou Foune".

Taste- Sweet, with a yeast driven "cookieness" that finishes a bit cloying... something here could use some better balancing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Fantastic mouthfeel... active, alive, foamy. It's just that when I bury my nose in the glass, inhale, and take a sip, I am not sold on this. Stay with their superb, masterful Hefeweizen for a classic beer for all times.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%

As I pour this into the weizen glass I begin to wonder if the bottle is mislabled.
What fills my glass is what appears to be an amazingly clear pilsner, a pale golden color. A cap of thick foamy head with small bubbles that continuously rise to the surface.

Smells of raw graininess with traces of banana oil and spices.
Taste is quite similar to the smell. I'm getting a bit of an acidy (just licked a battery terminal) finish. Carbonation is a bit higher than I normally like.

I'm more of a "hefe" guy myself.
This is my first kristal weizen. I will try, and review them all.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

pours a "crystal-clear" straw blonde into my weihenstephan glass. Huge pillowy white head dissapates, but not much. Looks pilsy, but with a big, fluffy wheatbeer head.

smells of a sour bread, some banana. some spices, but I can't put my finger on it. whatever it is, I'm not a big fan. I like the sweet fruity banana smell, not this pungent sour smell. If I had to describe it, I would say it is rotten orange rind.

With that delicious thought in mind - on to the tasting!

tastes like a decent hefe, but it is deceiveing because of the filtration. It almost comes off as a hefe-light. As it warms, the bananas come to the front.

this is a crisp, clean beer for the weiss styles. I wasn't really keen on the smell, but maybe I'll have to revisit this one in the summer when I'll appreciate the style more.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Half-litre, Teutonic brown glass bottle. White crown cap with a dark green logo seals the contents. Generic Weihenstephaner main and neck labels have a dark green background as well. Listed at alc. 5,4% vol. Reverse label has the Code ‘5045’ if that means anything.

Appearance: A tremendous pure white head rises rapidly and billows upwards from the clear golden pour, albeit a rather clumsy one. The massive pillowy white head looks fantastic, it slowly collapses but it never reduced below a solid and tight 1” covering. Fizzling carbonation but seemingly a medium level of conditioning which was a little lazy when gently swirled. Excellent presentation!

Nose: Pear drops and mashed bananas with the merest hint of cloves. Luscious water-melon and cantaloupe mix with light malts, all of which give body to the subtle but gorgeous aromas.

Taste: The flavor profile is a delicate but fiendishly well balanced affair. Clean toasted malts are feint but the fresh hop character and soft spicy-herbs make up for that. Fruity fleshy bananas mingle with some acidic lemon traits in the clean finish. Lingering after taste was a surprise, but a nice one.

Mouthfeel: Deceptive and hard to mark. On one hand I immediately plopped for a 4.0, yet on closer examination and as I worked through the half-litre, it felt like a dependable 3.0. I’m going for a middle of the road, sitting on the fence, 3.5, and that does not seem unfair.

Drinkability: Slides down, oh this one slides down…..just so easily. Slick, clean and incredibly refreshing!

Overall: I always expect less from Kristall Weiss brews, but this did not disappoint, clearly one of the very best examples of the Teutonic variant for sure. Superb stuff, and very tasty. Recommended!

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

A crisp classic Kristal Weizen.

Nice mix of spices, banana and wheat in this mix. Strong cloves and good carbonization make this a good choice for any lover of the style. The aftertaste is dry and slightly bitter.

This is a very enjoyable brew. Worth exploring for anyone who likes this style.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Brassy gold, clear and clean, with a modest but active fluffy head. The head doesn't last too long and leaves little lace. Still, decent carbonation animates the brew.

Spicy clove-ish nose with plenty of wheat and grain aromas, also an unexpected bit of milk chocolate. There is the expected banana, but it's a bright baked banana bread smell.

Only the merest hint of hop bitterness at first sip, mostly a tangy fruit hit, grapefruit and lemon, followed by solid malt. A peppery spiciness develops after a bit, and cleans things up for your next sip. Finishes quickly, drying and mineral, and a faint tea-ish aftertaste, mildly bitter and herbal..

Plenty refreshing. Nice with sesame chicken.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

500 mL bottle with no freshness date - served chilled in a weizen glass. Pours a brilliantly clear gold that looks like a pilsner and it's topped with a 4 finger head of medium bubbles that make some noise and leave little lacing. Smells of bananas, spiciness/grassiness, wheat, pepper, and some cloves. Flavor is similar but with less banana and a bit of metal, and a medium body that is fairly smooth. It's a familiar flavor, but it's just not the same without the yeast.

3.47/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle with a code on the back label into a weizen glass. Had a clear pale straw color with a lot of head and carbonation. The smell was a watered down Hefe with no dominant aspects. The mouthfeel was okay - it goes down smooth with a touch of carb. Overall it had a pretty average flavor and aftertaste. It doesn't really excite but is kind drinkable in the just want to quench the thirst with demanding a lot of flavor. I find this to be the case with most kristal's so I still prefer the regular hefe's. Ok as a rare change of pace. (3.5, RB, Tie, O)

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Lucent yellow-amber with a few healthy streams of bubbles. As the style dictates, there's not a yeastie in sight. The eggshell colored cap is huge, pillowy soft and is a dead ringer for meringue. Unfortunately, there's very little lace; the only part of this classic kristal weizen look that could be considered a negative.

The word classic applies to the nose as well. One sniff is all it took to remind me how great Weihenstephaner beer is. At first I thought the aroma lacked the power and immediacy of a true, yeast-included hefe weizen, but either the beer is beginning to open up or my nose is. Sweetened grain, lightly zesty clove and creamy banana are on display.

I think kristal weizens are the poor man's versions of hefe weizens. Kristallweissbier does nothing to change my mind. That said, it's one of the best (along with Tucher's) that I've had yet. It's sweet, soft and tangily wheaty, yet possesses a ramrod stiff, unyielding malt backbone. The mouthfeel is a study in contrasts since it's firm and creamy at once.

Clove is remarkably prominent for the style and outpaces banana by a fairly wide margin. Monkey fruit is still noted, although it comes in at a rather understated 2.0/5.0 on my (hefe) weizen banan-o-meter. It may be my imagination, but I think I appreciate a glimmer of spicy alcohol. I blame the lack of palate-swamping flavor that would be present if the yeast were allowed to stick around.

I don't have much to add in the mouthfeel department, except to say that I would like to see the carbonation toned down a bit. The beer feels a little chaotic in the mouth, while I prefer sedate in most cases. To be fair, it settles down some by the midway point.

Kristallweissbier is the last of the (commonly available) offerings from 'The World's Oldest Brewery' to enter my glass. It occurs to me, as I look forward to finishing the last several ounces of this one, that this brewery may just be my favorite in all of Germany; assuming that top to bottom quality is the overriding criterion. If it says Weihenstephaner on the label, then I know a quality experience awaits.

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Pours a very pale golden color with a surprisingly large, fizzy white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: I'm picking up faint hints of the trademark weissbier banana/bubblegum smells, but not much of an aroma here.

Taste: Follows the smell, but more pronounced. Fizzier than expected with the candy banana/bubblegum taste not as full as I would have liked, but at least it wasn't overpowering. Everything kind of fades away into the alcohol and fizz at the end. Still refreshing, but the taste just isn't there overall.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is a bit much, but overall a nice light mouthfeel that allows it to have that refreshing quality.

Drinkability: The carbonation is probably the main thing that would keep me from having more than one, but it wont be hard for me to finish this bottle. One of the bright spots of this brew.

Overall, not a bad beer, but not as good as their Hefe in my opinion. Worth a try if you're into the style, but this is probably not a beer I will buy again.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Beautiful Beer. Pours a golden color…completely clear, with a tall, puffy white head. The aroma is much more restrained than a hefe, but the same qualities are present: banana, citrus, yeast, phenolics, fruity-tutiness. This is a mild, careful beer, but very tasty. It has a medium to light body, with a nice refreshing wheat-citric quality. There’s a notable hoppiness, that becomes more prominent in the finish (no discernable hop aroma though). Crisp and firm finish. This is a good wheat beer, solidly good.

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured a very pale and sparkling clear yellow with enormous carbonation and a thick, rocky head. Aroma is classic weizen: wheat and earthy cloves, though little to no yeast in this kristal. Lots of cloves in the taste, some phenolics, but lacks the solid mouthfeel of an unfiltered hefeweizen. Some creaminess, maybe a bit of sourness. I don't usually do lemons with German wheats, and I definitely would not with this one.

Honestly, weizen is not one my favorite styles. This is a pretty good example of a kristal, and fans of the genre will undoubtedly score it higher.

3.09/5  rDev -23.1%

Another Kristal Weizen that was fantastic to look at .
Clear, it has a head that stayed right to the end and a bead that fizzed all through.
From there I was let down The smell had nothing particular characteristic other than "wheat beer".
The style suggests it should be soft and clean on the palte , this bordered on astringent ,perhaps because there was a clove flavour dominance.
It developed through the palate which made it interesting and drinkable but far more like a hefe weizen than I was expecting

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great Kristal Weizen. Poured out to a pale straw color with a nice, white foamy 1/8 inch head. Medium high carbonation. Aromas of malt and yeast are quickly noted, as are milder elements of hops and sweetness. Taste is well balanced, with notes of malt, hops and a sweet bread like finish. Some yeast flavors are noted toward the start, but give way to a mild and smooth bitterness. Good mouthfeel, with carbonation lighting up the palate in anticipation of what is in store. High drinkability, this brew is a solid example of the Kristal-style. Recommended.

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fits the description of Kristalweizen to a tee: Clear golden colour. Pleasing (although very mild) aroma of banana with just a hint of spice. A bit of fruitiness, but it finishes short and clean with lots of carbonation. This is probably a good introduction to the world of Weizen, but I prefer a more classic style of hefeweizen. I'm not entirely sure why someone would choose to drink the less flavorfull style, but I guess that's just me. I guess this would be a good starter beer for someone wanting to try better beers

3.74/5  rDev -7%

A - Golden straw yellow with a three finger head. Carbonation bubbles vigorously until the last drop. Leaves a little lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Flowers, wheat, slight banana esters and cloves. It is a very subtle odor. The carbonation makes its presence known as a stale odor on top of the pleasant ones. I'd expect more in the nose.

T - Very nice, a mild bitterness, grain, bananas, slight pine hops and cloves. Finishes with a wonderful banana bread aftertaste.

M - Smooth, not nearly as frothy or biting on the tongue as I expected from the powerful carbonation, which is wonderful. Refreshing.

D - This beer is pretty good around the board. With a bolder flavor and a more pleasant odor, this would not only be the archetypal Kristal Weizen, but also quite possibly my favorite beer. I really wish there were more Kristal Weizens around.

Pours a clear champagne color with a white fizzy head that quickly dissipated and plenty of carb action.

A sweet, crisp banana/cookie, and grainy malt smell with a lemon/lime aroma.

Evenly sweet, acidic, and bitter crisp and grainy malt taste with a crisp flowery lemon/lime hops flavor.

Light bodied, dry and slightly syrupy texture, soft and fizzy carbonation, and a smooth slight banana and lemon finish.

Very drinkable, no falts for the style, nice aroma while drinking, and definitely a session beer.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Let's see...this expires today, so I'd better get drinking!

Big foamy, bubbly head. Good carbonation, straw colour. Smells very malty/bready, bit of banana. Mellow, smells great! Let's drink now...

Very impressive. I haven't really had a lot of experience with this style. Lovely mellow, smooth flavours. I think the Banana really stands out in this one. Extremely refreshing and almost relaxing flavour. Dosen't feel too soft in the mouth though, and that's a big thing for me. Carbonation is near perfect. Leaves a nice sticky feeling in the back of the throat too. Nearly clean aftertaste, just a hint of mellowy goodness. An extremely quaffable beer.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Mid sized bottle, no feshness indication to be found. This brew pours quite light straw and very clear. Expansive white head early, minor head late and minimal lacing. Nose is crisp and clean with a hint of lime and yeast picked up. This is a fresh tasting beer, citrus, light banana, yeast picked up. This is a fine summer brew, great for newbies, refreshing. Easy style and beer to like. well worth enjoying with light food.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Pours out a clear pale yellow body with a billowy white head that eventually settles down into a ringlet; no significant lacing

Smell: Light banana and bready bouquet

Taste: Light banana wheat beer taste; somewhat bready, but no hop profile; finishes clean

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and well carbonated

Drinkability: Refreshing and cleansing on a very hot day

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan