Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner KristallweissbierWeihenstephaner Kristallweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

From my beer journal. Originally reviewed on June 7, 2011.

A: Very, very clear. Light straw golden color. What a difference from their Hefeweizen! Fluffy pale white head with really nice lacing. The head likes to stick around and I don't mind.

S: Cloves up front with a hint of bananas. I couldn't discern any hops.

T: The taste follows the nose. More cloves and spices with a hint of bananas. Tiniest bit of alcohol does cut through for me though.

M: Light body but the sharp carbonation adds a creamy feel in the end.

O: Very clean flavors throughout. I do enjoy this but I think I do care for the original more.

tony223366, Oct 17, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 16.9 ounce bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear light gold with an enormous 5 finger cloud-like fluffy white head.

Smell: Sweet grains with banana and clove in the background. The aroma is like a slightly subdued version of their hefeweizen.

Taste: Sweet grain and clove up front followed by banana in the middle before ending with just a touch of phenols at the finish. Aftertaste is very light with just a bit of banana.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. Goes down so smooth, you could drink this all night.

Overall: Very good beer overall. It's hard to go wrong with anything Weihenstephaner offering. This is no exception.

adam42381, Oct 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Pours a perfectly clear straw/yellow color. A towering and rocky white head forms with excellent retention. Lots of sticky spiderweb looking lace is left behind.
S: Husky wheat, fresh cut hay, earthy yeast up front. I love the earthy aroma here. Citrus and lemon peal come in next. Bread and biscuit aromas. Just excellent.
T: Again, excellent. Husky wheat along with the other earthy flavors. Hay, grass, barnyard. Plenty of fruity esters. Orange and lemon rind. Banana and plenty of spice. Bread and biscuit flavors. I can not get enough.
M/D: A light to medium body. Crisp, effervescent, and very dry. Incredibly smooth at the same time. So easy to drink. All day with this.

This has tons of subtle character and is basically the definition of the style. I love it and would highly recommend this.

champ103, Oct 01, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a clear straw color, exceptionally clear and very translucent. Looks like a macro American pilsner, only it's got an amazing white head that stands for a good stretch of time before eventually falling onto itself in a carbonated implosion.

Smells like their hefe with the banana and cloves.

The banana and cloves come through in the taste, but I didn't care for it much.

There's a complexity with this beer, as it sweet and malty up front, a bit spicy in the middle, and then a combination of sour and somewhat watered down in the swallow.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I didn't care much for this beer. It's ok with all the scores, but it did nothing for me. I think it was the slightly watered down finish that brought the overall score down.

RickS95, Sep 18, 2011
4.03/5  rDev 0%

16.9oz bottle served in a weizen glass.

pours a bell-clear clear golden yellow tone while yielding a massive 3"+ frothy white head. moderate retention, leaves behind some lacing in patches.

nose is very similar to the weihenstephaner hefeweizen, just a more subdued version - which is just as expected. soft notes of banana, malt, and a bit of clove. understated for sure.

taste is nice. banana, clove, grainy malt. light bodied mouthfeel with lively carbonation.

overall i'm enjoying the hell out of this beer. maybe it's because i haven't had one in a few days and so my perception is distorted, maybe it's because i was just in the mood for a lighter beer, or maybe it's simply because this is a great brew. there's a certain 'the whole being more than the sum of its parts' quality to it. drinks very easily. perfect for those occasions where you're in the mood for something lighter, crisper, and yet still very flavorful.

perrymarcus, Sep 16, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a pale yellow with a foamy head that hangs around for a while and leaves a bit of lacing.

Smells sweetly of citrus and bananas and cloves.

Very moreish flavour. Very wheaty and sweet with a hint of cloves and spice.

Not too heavy on the carbonation. Clean, crisp and very refreshing.

This is so drinkable I'm kicking myself for not buying more.

madvoice, Sep 11, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

16.9 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - comes out pale pale yellow almost looks like watered down beer. big carbonation bubbles present in the body. big foamy white head with decent retention.

S - coriander lemon orange peel quite a intricate nose was not expecting it at all.

T - coriander lemon are very present with cracker malt working in the background. hint of orange peel in there as well. this is just one damn fine beer.

M - light bodied with medium to high carbonation. bit of bitterness felt but just a bit.

O - wow this is definitely one of my favorite beers by these guys and i wish it was available all the time (but i guess the fact it isn't just adds to it).

celticfutblclub, Sep 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this on-tap at a local watering hole. The beer was poured into a tall glass that really showed off the qualities it has to offer.

There was a rich, frothy, lively foam of a head. The color is appropriate for what a filtered beer should be. I understand this is a filtered hefeweizen, so the beer does look very inviting and "clean."

While I am not accustomed to drinking a kristalweizen at all, I found the beer to be surprisingly pleasant. My first thought was, "This is a light version of hefeweizen?" There's more muted flavor profile in this style, so it really does taste light and more refreshing than hefeweizen beers. I can pick up more subtle notes of citrus, banana, and perhaps very light trace of oranges? This was interesting for me because I know this beer was made in a traditional fashion, but yet it still really tastes very good.

Since it's filtered, the beer does feel light and soft on your palate. This was actually refreshing for me as I came into the bar from 85 degrees weather at 10:30pm.

Overall, I would want to try more beers in this style, but I really was enjoying this one. I would drink it more, and I definitely will want to compare this to their Hefeweissbier someday.

2xHops, Aug 28, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

754th Review on BA
Bottle to Weizen
16.9 oz

Bottle code 3081

App- It's clear, yellow, bubbly from the bottom up and has a huge head on it. The head falls with a hockey puck down the glass. Nice lines and cling.

Smell- Exactly like I thought it would. Just a lighter Hefe from this brewery. Yeasty, banana, clove, spice.

Taste- This is a really light hefe, but still really well done none the less. It was over 100 here in So. Cal last night and this was light, yeasty, crisp and refreshing. A nice balance of wheat vs yeasty and the banana vs spice notes.

Mouth- Almost a light body with a high carb feel. Lots of banana and yeast residual flavors.

Taste- A very good light crisp clean beer for 5% I really enjoy all of Weihenstephaners offerings and cant beat the $ point.

FosterJM, Aug 27, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Served the 16oz bottle into my Weizen glass on a hot summer day.

A: I need to start by saying that I got a bad pour from this one. The head was huge because when my friend brought the bottle he probably moved it all over the place. Unfortunate but that's what happened. The body was very wild with bubbles from carbonation all over the place, most likely because the bottle was agitated. Clear golden body.

S: some banana and spices present, a bit hard to tell because of the incident I had with the bottle.

T: I wasn't able to fully enjoy this because of the huge foamy head that overshadowed everything else, but I could feel banana, herbal elements, citrus and some wheat in the palate.

M: light to medium body, clean and fresh feel

O: I'll need to go back to this one and give it another shot to be more fair. From what I could tell, it's a very good beer in its style but I think I still prefer the Tucher Kristall.

olimpia84, Aug 26, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a clear pale yellow into the glass leaving a nice white head.

Smells of classic German hefe profile. Lots of spiciness with some banana and a little clove.

Very light crisp flavor profile. You can taste the spice from Noble hops and it finishes with a little banana flavor with just a touch of clove.

Very light mouthfeel with high carbonation levels.

An outstanding example as I would expect from Weihenstephaner. Not overpowering on the clove which is usually what kills most beers of similar styles for me.

jmarsh123, Aug 26, 2011
4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tall weizen glass. A bright light gold in color with a fluffy stark-white head. Decent lacing. Looks refreshing.

Aroma gives off that traditional German style malt profile we (I) know, love, and come to expect. There’s some faint but definitely noticeable fruit esters hanging out – think banana and faint melon.

The taste profile consists of cracker-like malt with notes of banana and just a little clove. A trace of wheat grain is there.

Mouthfeel is refreshing yet smooth - almost as if there was a touch of honey in there.

Very agreeable. Tasty yet light. Went well with prosciutto and pineapple pizza. "Summer ales" step aside – kristallweiss is here.

jbertsch, Aug 13, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Weihensthephaner Kristall Weissbier

Appearance: 16.9 oz bottle into its proper branded weizen glass. Clear and filtered gold with a simply massive pillowy white foamy cap. Lace coats the glass, and overall this is an impressive looking brew.

Smell: Similar to the Weihenstephaner Hefe, this aroma is full of fruity yeast esters (banana, bubblegum, clove) and some wheat malt backing it all up.

Taste: Light flavor overall, wheat and spicy Saaz/Tettnang hopping combines with a clove like yeast character. Mild lemon and tea like flavors also come from the oily hops. Filtering this brew mutes the banana and bubblegum elements that were apparant in the nose, which lets the hops come through a bit more than they normally would. Mildly bitter, some wheat flavors, very easy on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, carbonation levels are good, clean, crisp albiet thin.

Overall: This is the lighter alternative to the standard Hefeweizen and a kindred spirit to the American Pale Wheat Ale style. Light wheat elements and pleasing overall character makes for excellent drinkability. Still, something inside me is saying "they filtered the good stuff out", but that is because their Hefeweizen is nothing short of amazing. This is good, however, and a solid choice for a summer session beer.

Stinkypuss, Aug 12, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Yellow-golden in color with truly brilliant clarity. Tall, dense, white, creamy head with good retention.

Aroma-Bready wheat with a good deal of spicy clove phenolics. Light banana notes and some pear as well. Spice character is excellent.

Flavor-Banana first, followed by bready wheat and high clove phenolics. Spritzy and delicious. Thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel-Medium body and moderate carbonation. Carbonation is quite soft and the wheat contributes to a fuller than expected, dextrinous mouthfeel.

A solid german wheat beer, though the clarity is quite impressive. Not quite as tasty or aromatic as the standard weihenstephaner hefeweissbier, but quite good anyways.

plfahey, Aug 12, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Here’s my next adventure into the world of Weihenstephaner: the Kristallweissbier. I’m not too keen on the idea of a filtered hefe, but these guys know what they’re doing. After all, when it comes to beer, it never hurts to put your trust in Germany.

A: Wow, what a dazzling look! It’s a stunning gold, shining brilliantly in every light. The fizz is incredible: there’s so many bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass that it’s mesmerizing at times. The head, once a sudsy white monstrosity, now stands on top of the body like a thick cream. Medium lacing. When people think of the perfect-looking beer, something like this has to come to mind.

S: Lemony-bright cloves are first in this beer’s mild nose; that wheat presence is undeniable. Yeasts are apparent as well, though milder still. I’m getting them as the normal banana bread notes, but in a way that more fully blends with the brighter grains – the yeasts just aren't as big in a filtered beer, so they’re not as striking. Sweet grains come through along the end, as well, rounding off this weizen’s temperate nose.

T: Sweet on the front end; that’s odd for a weizen. I guess since the musty yeasts aren’t there to kick me right out of the gate, the mild sugars of the wheat are able to get through without much trouble. Anyway, I’d describe these tastes as fruity and slightly grainy, like a bowl of Wheaties with sliced strawberries on top. It’s a fleeting flavor profile, though; I only get a few tastes before it hides behind the dim yeasts. They provide some slightly sticky banana notes and an herbal element every now and again, but that’s about it. The aftertaste is almost non-existent, basically consisting of those muted banana tastes from the yeast. Not a lot going on here, really; it’s still good, though.

M: Crisp, refreshing, and undeniably drinkable. I love how easily every beer from Weihenstephaner goes down, and this is their most quaffable selection yet.

O: I’m glad that there are two distinct styles for filtered and unfiltered hefe’s; they really aren’t in the same league. I would definitely prefer the yeast tastes that I got from Weihenstephaners unfiltered offering every time. This is a still a good beer, though; I especially like how drinkable it is (which would not have been possible if the yeasts were not muted). This isn’t really a style that I’ll be too keen to explore, though, due to the large number of excellent hefeweizens out there. These shining, filtered beauties do have their place, however – what’s a better German party beer than this?

BarryMFBurton, Aug 10, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a great filtered Hef. It is light, with lots of light head showing up with each pour. The head dissipates very quickly with no lacing (which it shouldn't have). From the bottom, there are lots of little bubbles rising to the surface.

With each sip I get the banana fruitiness from the phenols. There is a wheat aftertaste.
It is a very clean flavor.

This was great for the summer. It was very sessionable with only 5.4% alcohol.

ummswimmin, Aug 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This style was recommended to me by a customer at a beer store and I was eager to try it. I selected this brewery since it claims to be the oldest in the world. If they've been making beer for nearly 1,000 years they must be doing something right.

As advertised this was crystal clear with a good amount of tiny champagne-like carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass. Nice, fluffy white head.

Tastes, not surprisingly, like a very nice hefeweizen. I haven't had any other kristalweizens but I would certainly recommend this one to anyone looking to try one for the first time.

chefelf, Aug 06, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

I never really knew what a Kristalweizen was. I always see this beer at my local beer store and just pass it up. Apparently a filtered version of a Hefe, May be pretty good...

Poured into a Pint Glass...

Appearance-Clear golden yellow. Carbonation rocketing from the bottom of the glass. Really nice soapy white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smell-When I first smelt the beer I definitely got some subtle banana and clove. Now It's smelling alot like a pilsner with some spice. Some breadiness as well.

Taste-Big banana up front. Clove, Citrus and some bread also.

Mouthfeel-Crisp, clean, refreshing. Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation.

Overall-I prefer a hefeweizen. However, this was definitely alot less filling and very very easy to drink. This is the only beer I've had of this style, but I can't imagine one being much better.

SWMeyer4141, Aug 04, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours a clear yellow with two+ fingers of frothy white head. Nice retention, lacing.

S - A lighter aroma than the hefeweizen, but very similar. Banana and clove, but they are mere hints compared to the hefe. A clean grainyness exists as well. Not bad, but I am not floored.

T - More aggressive than the nose, this features the same banana, clove, and yeast flavors, but toned down from a classic hefe. More intense than the nose, and with a clean finish that allows only the bread-yeast flavor to remain. Lingering.

M - Light in body, very refreshing. A bit sharp from the carbonation, which is very forward.

O - Overall a fine beer, but not nearly on the level of some other Weihenstephan beers.

greenmonstah, Jul 28, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Ion draft at The Good Life, Massapequa Park, NY.

Poured a dark straw hue with a half finger white cap.

The smell featured light esters and a touch of sweetness.

The taste was dominated by yeast esters with some wheat chew and a sloppy sweetness.

The mouthfeel was full and the sweetness left a heavy sensation.

Overall a decently tasty ale. The sweetness was a bit offsetting.

plaid75, Jul 27, 2011

Look: the beer pours a clear yellow-golden color with a huge fluffy head.
Smell: Very fruity, apple, banana, clove, lemon and wheat
Taste: Wheat and fruity flavor, citrus, mango and blackcurrant. Light bitter-dry finish
Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation.
Overall: Nice brew, would drink this one again. Bit more bitter than most in the style

rvdoorn, Jul 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Poured into a half-liter weizen glass. The color is a clean and clear — very filtered — pale gold. Three fingers of thick, fluffy head dissipated very slowly to create a billowy cap and eventually a half-finger lacing. There is no yeast at the bottom to give it a meringue-like topping, though.

Smell: The aroma is crisper, sweeter, and not as wheaty as that of its unfiltered brother, but it exhibits many of the same characteristics. The apple is much more dominant than the usual ripe banana, and there are also hints of lemon, orange, clove, and bubblegum.

Taste: It mirrors the smell for the most part: dominant apple followed by ripe banana, orange, lemon, clove, and bubblegum. There is also, surprisingly, a bite of ground pepper spice.

Drinkability: Very good stuff. Having never had kristalweizen before, color this hefeweizen lover impressed.

TheQuietMan22, Jul 16, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into my Weihenstephan Weizen glass. Pours a clear golden color with lots of bubbles. The white head was very thick at first but dissapated to a thin one. Nice lacing.

Aroma is that of a good German pils mixed with a bit of cloves and banana and bubblegum from a German hefe. Little bit of wheat.

Taste is good. Same as above. German pils and hefe mixed. Smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is a bit too high carb. Otherwise it's crisp and refreshing.

Overall a solid beer. Good for if you want. A bit of that hefe taste but a bit more refreshing for the hot days.

PeprSprYoFace, Jul 07, 2011

Pours a crystal clear light yellow with a huge 3 inch stark white head that fades to a small puffy cap. Nice rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smells of wheat, spices, and slight banana. Taste is of wheat, spices, and a subtle banana flavor. There is a nice spice aftertaste with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer from the world's oldest brewery.

UCLABrewN84, Jul 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Perfectly clear, a delicate pale yellow with a thin, white head. Huge punch of banana pancakes leads the aroma, with some solvent notes, a twist of lemon, cinnamon, and clove in tow. Judging from the smell it would be equally at home on the Christmas dinner table as it would be on a beach in the South Pacific. The flavor matches the aroma's powerful banana and clove profile, and adds to it a note of refreshing pineapple, making this at once tropical and Germanic. Smooth and lush with a full, fresh bread finish; bitterness is low, but it is balanced by good attenuation, spice, and a faint, fruity tartness. Very nice - full flavored like a hefe, crisp like a kölsch.

soulgrowl, Jul 05, 2011