Weihenstephaner Korbinian - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner KorbinianWeihenstephaner Korbinian

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Reviews by JoshuaGoins:

JoshuaGoins, Jun 01, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -4%

Weihenstephan is my favorite brewer for a reason.I had never heard of this one actually before my friend from michigan brought this down for me.A beautiful beer a great mahogany color,thick very appetizing head to it.Nice sweet malty smell with caramel and a little burnt taste in the palate the way it should be.Alcohol was very prevelant in taste as well.A man beer from a world class brewer.

oberon, Feb 25, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This DB is a dark brown in color with a an off-white head that left some nice lacing on the glass and never did completely disappear.

Smell – The raw unsulphored molasses and light unsweetened maple complimented the heavily-toasted malt base. I like my Doppelbocks a bit on the “edgy” side, and this is a wild one.

Taste – The malts are incredibly tasty here and even have a sense of wheat. The toasted level is very high. The sweets step back a bit from where they were at the nose. The finish is a dab of chocolate covered in malts.

Mouthfeel – I just love the mouthfeel of this DB. It is incredibly smooth. The beer touching your throat on the way down is like rubbing fine silk against your cheeks.

This isn’t full-bodied but it’s a lot bigger than medium. There is some bitterness, especially in the aftertaste, but nothing that dominates or is overly harsh.

Drinkability – This really is a class act. It’s as well put together as their weizens. It’s one of the smoothest DBs that I’ve ever had.

Update - I try to have this every year and for 2007 thought to update the review.

This really is a tremendous brew, consistent year after year after year. The malts and light molasses flavors are raw but the mouthfeel incredibly smooth. Well done as usually by this magnificent brewery.

RoyalT, Mar 14, 2005

braugon, Apr 09, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

I poured it from a bottle as well into my Aventinus Weizenbock glass. It poured a dark deep reddish tint with a slight head that dissipated quickly. When I took a good sniff of this complex beer I got a nose of roasted malts and dark fruits. The taste was similar to the nose of this beer. I tasted the roasted malts, the dark fruits like figs, prunes(i couldn’t really put my tongue on it) and some chocolate undertones. The mouthfeel is a medium to full body doppelbock that hides the 7.4% abv well. That makes it quite dangerous since I could keep drinking this. There is a medium level of carbonation. Overall this is one of the world’s top doppelbocks. I maybe biased because doppelbocks are my favorite style of beer, but this is a fine specimen of one!

stewfnrocker, May 21, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark, Dark, Dark!!! Color is wonderfully caramel brown with a brilliant ruby hue when held to sunlight. Crown is almond and fluffy. Aroma is butt kicking and brilliant. Toffee, chocolate, caramel, banana, plums, oh my. Taste is dominating, spicy, biting, strong, and full. This is like a weizenbock on steroids. Just an awesome and unique brew.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 10, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Time to see how Weihenstephaner handles doppelbocks. If it's anything like the rest of their beers, it'll end up being a benchmark for the style. Korbinian looks brown as it pours from the bottle, but appears pitch black sitting in my glass. The light-tan colored head slowly fades to a swampy and bubbly skin that barely covers the black-hole brew. Even holding it a few feet from a light bulb only produces a faint ruby color that shimmers through.

Really malty and sweet up front in the aroma, and even from the first sniff, I can tell that this is going to be a complex and layered brew. Cocoa powder, light caramel, sticky molasses, with hints of some darker, brown-sugar coated fruits like dates, plums, and bruised raisins. A kiss of smoke in the finale tops off a perplexing and interesting aromatic profile; definitely robust and full-bodied.

As eyebrow-raising as the aroma was, you'll be glad to know that the flavor follows it along quite nicely. And also like the aroma, the taste is strong, pungent, and robust. Sweet out of the gate, some caramel, toffee, and brown sugar with some deeper hints of burnt molasses. Some more sweetness piles on in the form of anise and black licorice - something I don't exactly love, but it works well enough in small amounts among the myriad of flavors happening right now.

Plums, dates, and sugar-coated raisins hit mid-to-end with dark, "just-shy-of-roasted" malts, hefty cocoa powder, and a bit of complex nuttiness and woodsy flavors in the finish. Matching the flavor profile, the body is a touch sticky and oily, medium in size with decent carbonation and a mouth feel that falls just short of creamy.

Korbinian is certainly an interestingly complex brew with aroma and flavor profiles that are both "all over the place" and "perfectly content" all at once. Doppelbocks aren't my forte and I certainly haven't had enough to speak eloquently on them, but Korbinian is a pretty tasty brew, and certainly a good lesson in the style. Still worth a shot whether you are in tune with doppelbocks or not - at the price, you can't really lose.

tectactoe, Jun 10, 2013

Spaten454, Jun 14, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

tbryan5, Feb 24, 2013

joemetric, Jul 10, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a very dark reddish amber color. No lacing to speak of. Smells quite sweet, almost Coca-Cola like. Taste is very nutty, with a nice mouthfeel. I also get a hint of root beer barrels (very odd, but good). This is a great sipping beer for a cold night.

Overall, even though doppelbocks aren't my favorite style, this one is darn good. I can see myself picking up one of these every once in a while.
---
Well this is rather embarrassing. I went to review this beer, and found out that I already reviewed it! Just upping the taste and mouthfeel to 4.5...

skybluewater, Nov 15, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

The Weihenstephaner Korbinian pours from the wonderfully artistic 16.9oz bottle a deep dark cola brown with a two finger eggshell head on top. Hold it up to a light and you'll get a vivid blood red hue. An attractive brew. Aromas are rich, decadant and intense. Big melding of sweet caramel, roasted nuts, and lots of dark fruits (plum, raisin). A wisp of powdered cocoa along with dark baked bread. Sinfully deeply malty and incredibly inviting. Sit back and enjoy smelling this one for awhile as it's not to be missed.

First sip brings a rich robust dark bready maltiness. Sweet caramel and roasted nuttiness along with a swirl of dark fruits. I get some cocoa in there as well. Fairly sweet, but not at all cloying. A dark bready fruitcake in a glass (a truly good fruitcake though, not those ones you get around the holidays). Delicious and all about the wonderful malt. One of the best dopplebocks I've yet to sample.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied and chewy with a mellow carbonation. A meal in a glass for sure, I'd take this over a loaf of bread anyday :-). I find this to be a very drinkable brew and it will be what I turn to when I'm craving a dopplebock. This one is not to be missed. I believe I paid 1.99 for this bottle, which is a freakin steal for how good it is. Check this one out ASAP.

orbitalr0x, Mar 22, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured a nice dark caramel brown color with amber highlights. Fairly aggressive pour led to a nice whipped two finger tan head which slowly bubbled its way down. Aroma is slightly sweet with hints of caramel and clove spiciness over a sweet bread body. I’m new to dopplebocks so I’m not used to their aroma profile yet so it is hard to pick out the subtleties. But this one sure does smell nice. Initially cold I’m not impressed with much flavor. I’m going to let this one sit for a bit to warm…*15 minutes pass*…after warming a bit the subtle flavors start to present themselves. There is a pretty huge malt presence just as I expected. But it is balanced well with just a touch of hops at the end. The malts don’t present themselves as overly sweet in this beer as I was expecting. Mouthfeel is nice and full and creamy to some extent. This is a very nice beer that I could easily sit down with and have a couple.

blitz134, Apr 03, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

bulldogg915, Mar 06, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As dark as any stout. Minimal head, but with good retention in my Unibroue glass.

Lovely sweet nose. The definition of a malty beer. Smells as good as, if not better than, Celebrator.

Truly delicious. Sweet, chewy, deep, dark, rich. I could see this pairing up perfectly with some moist velvety chocolate cake.

In midsip I get a tiny bit of something that seems off. A slight thinness? Maybe that's just normal for this style. Maybe its the water used.

This beer is guilty of YUM in the first degree. Seconds, please.

chOAKbarrell, Mar 08, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

bertcat9000, Jun 26, 2012

danthehopslamman, Sep 19, 2012

SD-Alefan, Apr 05, 2014

csmartin6, Apr 20, 2013

SunDevilBeer, Jul 02, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pt. 0.9oz bottle into my big Spaten Oktoberfest Stange glass. There is no freshness date on the label but it has a bottle number of 3438 printed on the back.

Appearance: The body has a dark brown color with lighter brownish red highlights. On top sits a nice light tan head which was about two fingers thick right after it was poured. This head slowly fades but hangs on till the last sip, (not that it took me long it get there lol). There was some nice slick lacing, as well, which slid right down the glass as I drank.

Smell: The aroma is pleasing and sweet with notes of dark sweet bread, cooked or burnt sugar, as well as some mellow notes of over ripe fruit and classic German hops.

Taste/Palate: It has a firm, slick, full bodied palate with a flavor profile that matches its aroma. The flavor is full dark sweet bready malty goodness. There are some hints of nuts and fruit mixed into the mostly sweet malt along with some decent leafy/spicy, almost earthy hops for balance. The hops also add a nice balance to the finish making it quite drinkable.

Notes: This is a very enjoyable and drinkable big beer. Just look out for the solid 7.4% abv. that will sneak up on you.

generallee, Mar 08, 2010