Join our email list →

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Doppelbock | 7.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Our Korbinian, the full-bodied, dark Doppelbock with light brown foam, wins beer-lovers over with a balance of fruity hints of plums and figs, a dark malt aroma - reminiscent of toffee, nuts and chocolate. Its roasted flavour goes well with smoked meat and fish as well as venison and poultry. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Korbinian Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,173 | Hads: 2,464
4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

I had this (vom fass) at the brewery restaurant on March 20, 2006.

A: Ruby-black/chestnut, slightly off-white head, unreal retention, great lace.

S: Malty (Bread, caramel, nut), slight spice.

T: Bread, raisin, prune, some chocolate, dark caramel, raisin, brown sugar, a little nut and a slight hint of licorous. Not at all burnt, but a nice/pleasant roastyness. Perfect bitter/sweet balance with a hint of tartness. Nice spicyness to round out the flavour. Alcohol is really well hidden.

M: Moderate to full body is smooth and slightly creamy, carbonation is moderate.

D: Truly exceptional.

In my opinion, this is the best Doppelbock I've had the pleasure of tasting! I think the Domhof Doppelbockbier is a close second. The Domhof is more of a malt bomb (and a little syrupy), but this one's a little more well rounded. I consider both of these a small step up from Celebrator, which is certainly a serious step above the others.

On the second tier I'd put Maximator, Triumphator & the Union Dunklebock. Probably the Optimator, but it's been a while since I've tried it. All quality brews to seek out.

On the third tier I'd put Salvator, Andechs and surprisingly, the Apostulator from Eichbaum Brauereien. These were all good, but I actually prefered my own home-brew doppel (which was obviously brewed to my taste).

Bringing up the rear would be Hacker-Pschorr Animator, followed by the few other smaller breweries I've tried.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a very opaque brown. I mean I would call it black. An off-white head.

Smells of a lot of roasted malt. Dark fruits like raisins and plums are in the background. Very complex and sweet. Im liking where this is going. A little too much raisin in the nose.

Taste is about as good as a Doppelbock can get. Slightly sweet, yet roasty and complex. There really is a ton of things going on here. Dark fruits, smokey, sweet malt. No hops but thats to be expected. Body is a little closer to heavy than medium.

A nutty flavor stays around, fighting tooth and nail with those smokey malts and even the fruits. Stays complex from start to finish. Oh so damn smooth and drinkable, but then again its a German Doppelbock. I expect smoothness.

Exactly what I expected from a German Doppelbock. And its Weihenstephaner, nothing but the best!

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Deep ruby/garnet with a creamy head. Low to medium carbonation with excellent lacing.

Smell: Characteristically wild Weihenstephaner yeast aroma with thick, sticky dark fruits and toasty grains. Smells sweet and luxurious, with wonderful depth.

Taste: Initial sweetness, with a slight splash of carbonation exploding on the tongue. Slight sourness in the middle, with a slightly dry finish that cleans up the malt sweetness nicely and makes this a rather drinkable beer. The yeast profile makes this unique for a doppel, but it's a fine beer nonetheless.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

500 ml into bicentennial Mason jar.

Wow i have to say after the first few sips I can tell this is gonna be one of the best brews I've ever had. I'm glad i picked this one up.

A: Deep brown with ruby highlighted body; over this is a drei finger tan head, lacing is not that noteworthy but I bet on draft it is perfect. Head retention is good as well.

S: Pure malty heaven, nutty with hardwood sap notes. Dark caramel and sweet chocolate.

T: Heavy malts that make my tongue scream yuymmy mommy. Dark fruit preserves, caramel, a bit of oak sap, some nuttiness, and ends with a pleasant hardwood bitterness.

M: Take a bite of this beer its good.

D: Excellent. May be a bit strong for session trinken aber this is a good bier!

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

It's very dark brown with a nicely sized light brown head. I love the aroma, strongly of roasted maltiness and sweet molasses. This is a wonderful creamy and full-bodied brew. It's just so succulently smooth. A pleasing and soothing alcohol warth finishes off an awesome malty and toasty brew. I just plain love it and prefer it over other German doppelbocks I have tried. Definitely seek this beer out.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Deep ruby and crystal clear. Thick and creamy, tan head with great lacing all the way down the glass

S: Rich, Malty aroma, very bready and toasty with a fresh yeast aroma. liquid bread

T: Big Biscuit flavor with fresh dark breads and toasted lighter breads. bread crust. All of this is followed by a more melanoidan rich malty sweetness. goood!

M: Spectacular. Very full body, smooth, creamy, and chewy. Finishes dry but with sweet flavors (they just don't linger)

D: This is one of the best beers I've had the pleasure of drinking.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

The leather-bound doors roll open slowly before me, revealing a mahogany chamber trimmed in regal beige.

My nose pricks up and my eyes scan across the room, landing upon a copious dessert banquet, overflowing with the perceived perfumes of chocolate, vanilla and maple delicacies. Somewhere, in a darkened corner, an abandoned pipe smolders fumes of sweet tobacco, and something more herbal; something stickier.

The walls are bedecked in ornate malt tapestries, glowing softly and brown. Decorated delectably, with intricately interwoven plums, chocolate, maple wood, raisins, buttered toast and ginger bread. Such exquisite taste! Such majesty!
At the center of the hall, upon the lightly roasted malt thrown, lies a toffee crown adorned with hazelnut and cinnamon jewels. Luxurious rugs of cushioning alcoholic splendor drape across the floor. As comfortable as it is lavish.

I am awestruck as I decadently devour this malty opulence. I lose myself in its blanketing envelopment. For a moment, I am royalty. For a moment, the throne is mine.

From behind me, the King returns.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Korbinian pours a deep mahogany with ruby edges. The aroma is caramel and a hint of raisin. The first sip, and you know this is special. Remarkably smooth, full, and creamy, the caramel, dark chocolate, and toffee flavors completely coat the mouth. The hops make a bit of an appearance, but this is, as it should be, a beer that is all about the malt. The 7.4% ABV warms just a bit as it goes down.

Love this beer. Full of delicious flavor, creamy mouthfeel, nicely balanced with the hops. Flawless.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A. Deep, dark brown with a retentive frothy off-white head and thick lacing.

S. Richly malty and breadlike.

T. Malty with chocolate notes, some nuttiness. Very nice.

M. Lightly carbonated, creamy and almost syrupy.

O: Roasty sweetness. Other reviews have compared the aftertaste to syrupy malt followed crusty banana bread, which is spot on in my opinion. Wonderful.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

I tried this beer out at a yuppie bar in L.A (Father's Office) and had to buy some for myself. I immediately went into a BevMo and bought three bottles (which costs the same as that one beer at Father's Office).

I love dark beers and this is one of the best (if not the best) that I've tasted. First off, the color is a beautiful mahagony and the head is a nice beige. What makes the beer pop is the hint of nuttiness in every sip. It goes well with German sausages or hamburgers. It's highly drinkable but would benefit from distanced drinkings. If you like Newcastle you will love this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

This badboy is a beautiful deep mahogany color. Crystal clear, and inviting, to say the least. The head is creamy and beige colored. Retention is adequate and the lacing appealing. The nose of this beer is simply divine. Molasses, brown sugar, rum soaked raisins, bread pudding and plum. Yes indeed, I could sniff this one all day long. I love the bready, cookie-dough, yeasty, cake-like presence on the taste buds. This is one dopplebock that truly defines the "Liquid Bread" term that the Monks laid upon dopplebocks what seems like eons ago. I truly believe I could sustain on nothing but Korbinian for at least a fucking year, let alone 40 days. This beer feels so good in the mouth. Like silk. I also love the big molasses flavors coming from this beer. A true gem.

Many BigHuge thanks to cokes for lining this one up.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A-??? Eff you, B.A.!!! This beer is righteous!

A-Dark dark brown with a spotlight of amber/crimson when held up to the light, tight brown head that leaves a silky mess all the way to the last drop

S- nutty, malty, slightly phenolic, but in the right way, and completely oblivious to the fact that it is 7.4 abv....

T- rich, smooth, amazing and perfectly balanced. This is the oldest brewery in the world still producing the best beers out there...give thee thanks. NOTHING matches this brew in the price range and I beg to oppose anything better in the style.

M- Crazy smooth, perfectly balanced and malty in every good way there is to be malty. Praise the LAGER gods for this beer. I usually find this kind of complex beer in an American imperial brown or in something with a highly phenolic finish but this beer is so cleaverly created that it defies its alc. content.

D- Could drink this all day. In fact, I bought two....we'll see where the night goes.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

This ranks among the best aroma beers I've had. Caramel, maple, toffee and a hint of chocolate. The first sip was almost as good. Lots of depth of flavor with caramel and roasted malts. I hardly noticed the significant alcohol punch at 7.4%, which hides in a spicy finish. Very nice.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Look: Dark, but not totally light blocking. Head is a fluffy khaki pillow and sits atop for quite a while.

Smell: Rich malt smell. So good. Invites you to take a long draught.

Taste: Dark malts. I'm not totally sure how to describe it otherwise. Rich flavoring, and incredibly smooth. Works exceptionally well with my order of Weiner Snitzel.

Feel: So smooth. It really takes off with its mouth feel. It sure feels like you could down this beer all day.

Overall: Great beer! Really glad I ordered it. Lovely presentation as well.

Served in a .5L Weinhenstephan German beer mug. Masterfully poured from the tap. Reviewed from notes taken by me at a German restaurant in the USA.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip
Look - really dark amber brown. Poured with lots of strong frothy head that stays around.
Smell - smells like a germain beer. Very malty backbone. Slight licorice smell.
Taste - heavy body. Slightly sweet. Very malty.
Feel - smooth velvety thickness with a good amount of carb but almost taste like a nitrous.
Overall - incredible doppelbock. Might be the best I've had.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

For my 100th review I decided to do something special. So for dinner before a concert I went to Hessen Haus (researching the beer menu before hand) and found this beauty. Even better, that have it on tap! And a dollar off during happy hour!

It was presented to me in a 1/2 liter mug, and the dark red, almost brown color mesmerized me. It had about a finger and a half of off-white foam that vanished after about two minutes. The aroma had some cocoa, toffee, and various spices, but was feint. The taste was more prominent of like flavors with a little more citrus present. For a 7.4% beer this went down fairly smooth. I'm not sure if it was the thickness of the beer or the massive chicken sandwich I had for dinner but it took a while to down my beer. Perhaps I was subconsciously savoring it. Perhaps I was consciously savoring it. The wife bragged about finishing her Spaten Octoberfest before I finished mine, but this was an event to enjoy.

An absolute repeat buy!

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A - Pours an oxblood deep brownish red. Two finger tan head fades to a thin cap. Fantastic looking Doppelbock.

S - Sweeet. Deep malty character, chocolate and perhaps a cherry note or two - almost a cola-quality. But that description may be an insult... It's nowhere near coke. Bread crust comes along as it warms.

T - Malt dominates, tiny bit of hops in the finish. Alcohol and malt in the aftertaste.

M - Light carbonation, medium-heavy mouthfeel.

D - High as long as you take your time. A good half hour plus to savor this pint and a half or so...

4.82/5  rDev +15%

You know, I wanted more after drinking this, but stopped myself. This beer was excellent. Had on tap at 'bones, served in a 10.5 oz glass. Pour was dark ruby in color, with very low head. This thin tan head did last through-out my glass however. Aroma was barleywine like, consisting of dark fruits, mostly plums in this case. Medium bodied, I am having trouble describing the taste (sorry!)...it was so smooth, and blended, and nothing sticking out and trying to be the center of attention. Mostly rich malt, with very slight alcohol in the background. Some caramel notes, some of raisins. I thought there was subtle hazenut notes in the finish. A very fine beer that I recommend highly.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a 0.5L Duvel tulip.

A: Tan head with great staying power and great lacing as the head travels down the glass. Body is dark brown and totally opaque; just what I like to see.

S:: Smells of caramel.fruits and a nice malt. Never smelled that before. Nice and strong too.

T: The smell hits my tongue, wonderful sweetness complex malts and sweet fruit. A little spiciness in the malt, and really not much alcohol in the flavor. Residual sweetness stays on the tongue.

M: Thick mouthfeel and perfect carbonation.

D: I can't seem to get enough of this. The flavor doesn't get boring and keeps me coming back.

Really a fan of big malty beers, and this is one of my new favorites. Superb.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Tasted single-blind with Aventinus and Bajuvator (qv.)
Medium-brown, like an Amontillado.
Aromas of toasted brown bread and burned sugar carry through on the palate where they pick up green fruit, white raisins, muesli, flowers and both roasted and raw hazelnuts in abundance. Beautiful! The long, complex, shifting finish inspires images of spring rain on hot asphalt. This was leaner that the other two beers in the tasting, almost a different style, and my favorite. More challenging. Not "easy." A bit wild. But supremely engaging for the senses as well as the intellect. Let it grow on you.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Beautiful tawny mahogany with a stable, dense mound of peaked espresso cream. Great retention. Crystal clear.

Smell: Deep, dark sweet malt sundae. Not really chocolate or caramel, sort of a... toffee... cake, I guess? Some cola and a bit of fusel alcohol. Good stuff.

Taste: So rich it's almost wrong. Heavy mouthfeel. Milk chocolate, sweetened coffee, toffee, caramel -- oh, yeah. Dark roasty espresso and a slight hopped bitterness into the finish.

Drinkability: The perfect storm here. Incredible flavor, managable abv, great price. Simply one of my all-time favorites; usually too busy drinking it to review it. Fantastic beer.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

This is a magnificent and complex brew.

Appearance: Pours a mahogany brown with reddish hues. Light tan head.

Smell: I instantly thought of chocolate and caramel, but quickly aromas of brown sugar, molasses, plumbs, rum raisins and soggy rum bread, toffee, and more filled the nose.

Taste: Big malts create a perfect foundation for dozens of additional flavors. Dark caramel, rum, dark fruits (raisins and plumbs dates), loads of cookie dough and bready flavors; subtle suggestion of toffee and nuts and a hint of German Hops. The dominate sweet character is offset by a gentle bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: This beer is big and silky smooth. The velvety malt is oily slick and slides through the palate like a heavenly creamy silk.

Drinkability: Who could make a Double Bock so drinkable? Never doubt Weihenstephaner. This beer is terrific and goes down with dangerous ease.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a clear color which changes drastically depending the light it's up against. Has brown, red, and orange copper highlights. Medium head falling to a ring, steady carbonation. Smell attacked my nose right when I popped the cap. Huge sweetness was the impression I got. Caramel, toffee, a light spice, and some fruit. Glorious toasted grain and bread. Taste is superb. A delicate sweetness that is never overdone. Caramel and toffee are for sure there again. Hints of a wonderful nutty flavor and again this luscious bready aftertaste that I can and will not get enough of...give me another damn bottle! This stuff is lovely. In the mouth it's just a tad more full than you'd think but still great. Very easy going down. A solid, solid brew. I must remember to pick this up more often.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

A- Deep ruby mahogany color beneath a one finger rocky head.

S- Very clean subtle complex malty profile.

T- Sweet on the take, with increasing complexity throughout. Dry slightly hoppy finish.

M- Dead perfect.

D- This will be a repeat, many times.

Truly one fantastic Dopplebock. I'm going to have to put this head to head with Celebrator, as this just might have a shot at the title.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Gorgeous, deep chocolatey brown. Short, light brown head, quick to dissipate, no visible lacing.

S: Sweet, chocolate/caramel/toffee, gentle but warm aroma - quite deep, excellent for a good long sniff. Very nice!

T: Chocolate/cocoa, toffee, and perhaps the slightest coffee flavour. The alcohol is very well hidden. Just sweet enough, quite tasty.

M: Not overly thick - nice and creamy, and still full bodied, just about right for my palate. I'm not familiar with dopplebocks at all, but this is a pleasing introduction.

D: Fantastic. I will most definitely go with this one again. I am wishing I had some more to enjoy at least one more bottle.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan