Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier DunkelWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
therica

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

A= tons of foamy head, plenty of lacing and rimming, cloudy muddy dark tea-brown, unfiltered.

S= great prune & raisin, wheat malts, yeasts, modest clove.

T= plentiful flavor, mildly dry, nice dark fruits, slightly chewy and bubblegum, some banana notes, would like to see more hops presence and more carry-through from the nose, though.

M= slight dryness, dark fruits presence, minimal astringency, decent overall.

D= for me it's probably limited to 1-2 22-ounce bottles, nice, somewhat muddy and less defined than I would prefer though, the excitement wears off after a few. Might go nicely with a grilled steak or with a pasta dish or a pork with gravy dish.

08-20-2010 10:40:03 | More by therica
AWolfAtTheDoor

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm partial to any Bavarian brew, because that is essentially what turned me into the beer geek/snob that I am. List of which is this exceptional offering from Weihenstephaner. Their Hefe is world class, I LOVE the Korbinian too. The Dunkel is another clear winner, let's take this for a test drive.

Big two finger head from the gentlest of pours. Nice cloudly brown. Foamy till the last drop, with a respectable amount of lacing.

Terrific Dunkel smell. Very sweet. Hint of bananas.

It tastes like liquid candy. Slightly sweet, but not over poweringly so. it's a Dunkel that also knows it's a hefe. Absolutely terrific to the last drop. Hints of chocolate, some banana, a little clove action. Tang of sourness from the wheat malt also detected.

Mouthfeel is nice. Creamy and well carbonated, true to style.

Fabulously drinkable. I'm ashamed that I only picked up one, as I forgot how good these are.

08-16-2010 07:11:24 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
woemad

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9oz bottle with code on the back that states "0128." Perhaps this beer was born on the same date I was. Purchased at J.B.'s in Spokane for $3.59.

Poured a hazy russet color that took on a slightly rubyish tint when held up to light. Big, creamy off-white head. Spotty lace.

Grainy in the nose, with a nutty,toasty aspect and a caramel sweetness.

Starts out spicy, with clove-like flavors to the fore. This is matched by toasty, nutty notes. There's a toffee-like sweetness that is mostly content to sit in the background. Very slight dry note at the swallow.

Mdeium bodied, with a slightly prickly mouthfeel.

A very tasty beer, One that I could drink all night. This is a style that is underrepresented at my local beer buying venues, so I think I'll be buying this again.

08-15-2010 23:06:04 | More by woemad
LacquerHead

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

It poured a hazy brown, similar to ice tea.

The aroma reminded me of caramel and wheat/grain. Overall it was pleasant.

The taste was sort of similar to its aroma. It had a light caramel wheat, but with a pale twist. There was a dry paleness to it, but not bitter. I liked the level of hops and thought it helped to make this a very good well rounded beer.

This had a good drinkability. It went down rather quickly.

This beer was okay, but not outstanding. I would not mind drinking this again as it is worth revisiting. I thought it was a step up from Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel.

08-10-2010 18:59:40 | More by LacquerHead
BogleHill

A light brown colored brew with a good frothy head and nice carbonation. Mild aroma. Flavor and mouthfeel is light to medium with sweet roasty malts. Not as spiced or banana as other German Dunkelweizens. A good drinking brew, but perhaps a bit over-rated in my opinion.

08-10-2010 00:38:00 | More by BogleHill
ryanonline

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

pours a massive foamy off white head that recedes at a moderate pace leaving little lacing. The color is a nice even brown, a bit hazy.

a lot of cloves and coriander on the nose, maybe a touch of vanilla. a light toffee or even chocolate malt profile, very masked by the spice.

very light malt flavor, but a definite toffee like taste as well as a banana backbone. still lots of spice though much more muted than the nose would imply. a bit hoppy as well, more bitter than citrussy.

kind of watery but a touch foamy. light bodied. sweet and spicy finish.

very light and refreshing, interesting touch for a dunkelweizen.

this beer is very light and nuanced, different from what I expect from the style. interesting take, not a bad beer at all.

08-08-2010 22:28:00 | More by ryanonline
rtepiak

Poland

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

a very delicate ordeal. this is a excellent be with a lot of subtleties. the pour is a murky thin brownish color... with a nose that has the quality so several dukelweizen at once. this is sour apple, floral, smoke, and wheat. the palate expands to something mildly sweet in the face of other dunkel hefs... with a very mild molasses sweet and a wheat grit dry feeling of clove. lots of apple and a volume that doesn't hang around on the tongue for long because of the crispness and mild floral soapiness. great mix of flavors and qualities. a must for fans.

08-06-2010 02:08:54 | More by rtepiak
gracebeliever

2.6/5  rDev -38.8%

Reviewed from notes. Still Drinking though as I write.

Appearance: Tea. Thick foamy head after a moderate pour into a glass mug. It quickly reduced to a thin head. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Not much.. maybe that's due to the mug. I don't know.

Taste: To me it was lacking flavor and body. Not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Again, to me, nothing much here.

Drinkability: Certainly it is easy to drink but the lack of taste is off-setting for me.

I am open to suggestions on this.

08-01-2010 17:49:38 | More by gracebeliever
jadpsu

Georgia

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 16.09 oz. brown bottle. This beer came recommended by the owner of the beer craft sore. When I told him that I was not crazy about wheats he told me that since this was a drak wheat it would not be so sharp. WRONG!

I see where this is rated as a world class beer. I will try to keep the style in mind because the strong wheat, yeast characteristics are just not my style.

Beer pours great with a tan head that has good retention.

Smell: YEAST, along with some toasty malts. I always get gloves when I am having a wheat beet.
True to it's style.

Taste: I'm sure it is true to it's style but I just don't like it.
Mouthfeel:
Full bodied, malty.

Drinkablility: I'm sure the what lovers find it great but I just can't go over 3.5 (and for me that is generous.)

07-28-2010 01:37:37 | More by jadpsu
beers2danno

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

The first time I had this beer(years ago) was on a trip around Germany, but at the time I did not know enough to appreciate as much as I do now.
Now I get it whenever I see it for sale.
A....this is what originally made me try it, cloudy reddish brown ith a beautiful fluffy offwhite head
S....very attractive smell of bananas, bread, yeast
T...banana, malty, citrus, yeast...
M...medium heaviness, satisfying like its more than a beer, perhaps a meal full of nutrients.
D...I can drink this any time, any place and it brings me right back to the place that I first had it in a pizza house in Germany, excellent drinkability.

07-27-2010 01:36:45 | More by beers2danno
womencantsail

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The pour is a light brown color, sort of like a glass of iced tea with a bit khaki colored head that sticks around forever.

S: The nose is distinctly German with some notes of clove, yeast, caramel, and light hints of bananas. A nice bready note to it as well.

T: There is some nice sweetness to the flavor, with banana bread leading the way, followed by some raisins and plums. A good caramel and toffee flavor along with a hint of yeast and cloves on the finish.

M: The body is medium with plentiful and smooth, rolling carbonation on the tongue.

D: Weihenstephaner is another brewery that doesn't seem to make a bad beer. A solid dunkel that I would pick up again.

07-27-2010 01:31:03 | More by womencantsail
JEdmund

Kansas

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Gorgeous color and a whipped cream cap. Really pleasing aroma, low on banana and high on a sharp sour fruit flavor. Flavor is awesome! This is my kind of dunkel. Good soft wheat and a sharp cut of sour fruit. High level of carbonation feels nice and the body feels light and airy. This is really good beer! Hint of berry and slight mineral. Love it!

07-26-2010 20:21:06 | More by JEdmund
mlazzaro

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, outstanding price of $3 for a 500ml bottle of a this beer. Local breweries can't touch that price, even without the commute over the pond (Germany to South Carolina to Massachusetts.)

Cloudy brown under a massive ivory head. Makes sense to be cloudy with the wheat content. Head retention is exceptional. Rings lacing my glass.

Smells awesome. sooo good. I don't know what to compare it to even. But highly appealing aroma.

Taste unique, very contrary to the smell I would say. Mouthfeel if superb. It does taste much better as I drink on, as well. Leaves a wonderful caramel-sweet-malty taste in your mouth.

I overlooked this beer for my whole drinking career, and by doing so have neglected a truly exceptional beer.

07-20-2010 18:38:56 | More by mlazzaro
thekevlarkid

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Out of a bomber this beer was a cloudy copper color with lots of rising carbonation. The one finger of light khaki colored head displayed very good retention and left lacing in bands. The aroma was of caramel malt, butterscotch, candi sugar and some hints of dark fruits. The flavors were just like the aroma with a pleasant sweetness from the malts balanced by a good note of spicy, hoppy bitterness that seemed to blossom as the beer warmed up. I also tasted cloves, lots of wheat and some banana notes from the yeast. Complex and enjoyable. The mouthfeel was creamy, the body medium but the carbonation just a touch too high for my liking.

07-20-2010 14:55:40 | More by thekevlarkid
djbreezy

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

served to myself by myself in a snifter

appearance - massive frothy tan head atop a hazy rich burgundy, aggressive lacing

smell - pleasant notes of banana and clove

taste - clove tops out a strong banana bread body, rich malts, rich banana flavor

mouthfeel - high carbonated, smooth, silky

drinkability - very flavorful, palatable, easy drinking

07-14-2010 03:11:35 | More by djbreezy
largadeer

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Draft at Gourmet Haus Staudt. Turbid brownish-amber with a huge frothy cap. Cocoa, caramelized banana and clove aroma, a bit like fried and spiced bananas. Light on the tongue but very flavorful, reminiscent of chocolate covered bananas and Grandma's spice rack. This is on the dry side, though the flavors suggest dessert; ultimately this is to the beer's benefit, it never becomes cloying. Spicy, peppery finish with lingering clove. A stellar example of the style.

07-13-2010 21:16:32 | More by largadeer
treque

Mexico

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Hue between clear and brownish red, of abundant creamy beige head with good retention, visibly opaque, with ongoing carbonation.

Aroma markedly acid, citrus-tinged fruit and a slight hint of caramel.

Taste meets expectations. is pleasing to wheat, and yet stands roasted bitterness is mild, with dry finish and consistent.

One of the best Dunkel weizen I ever had

07-08-2010 22:57:41 | More by treque
ToasterChef

Maine

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Reviewed from my notes. The beer is a muddy brown liquid. It has a thin, off-white foam head. The beer is opaque, but I can still see some carbonation bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass and rising within. There are a number of aromas coming from this beer; I can smell clove, banana, and a slight sweetness reminiscent of brown sugar. It tastes of musty yeast, like a weissebier should. There is lots of banana and some clove in the flavor. The finish has a bit of peppery spice to it. The beer has a medium body and high carbonation. The coating is very good and it contains some sweetness. The pepper in the finish provides a bit of a bite, but otherwise it finishes cleanly. It is a very drinkable beer. I could easily have a few of these. It is a perfect beverage for the outdoor deck here at my favorite bier garden.

06-30-2010 11:58:37 | More by ToasterChef
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

500ml bottle
5.3% ABV
I tried this beer on November 5, 2009 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a dark brown colour with golden highlights and 1" head that lasted. The aroma was wheat malt, cloves, and some yeast. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied and medium carbonation. The flavour was wheat malt, cloves, some ginger-like flavours and a bitter finish.

06-26-2010 00:34:40 | More by cyrenaica
CBlack85

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass

Pours a deep ruby brown color, like that of a strong southern iced tea. A fairly agressive pour produces about 4 fingers worth of rocky, moderately dense white-ish head. Decent head retention and spotty lacing.

The aroma is smooth and light with banana, clove, and bready malt aromas intertwining into a rather appealing nose overall. If I was smelling this with a blind fold on I would not have guessed that it was a dunkel.

Banana and clove flavors jump out at you, but there is also quite a bit of bready and caramel notes mixed in there as well. I also seem to be getting a nutty aftertaste. Medium bodied and quite creamy, the carbonation seems to be perfect for the style.

My overall impression is that this beer is light and refreshing and everything a good dunkelweizen should be. This will definately find its way into my normal rotation.

06-25-2010 19:58:04 | More by CBlack85
pootz

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle:

Pours a turbid copper wheat ale in the flute glass. Nice off white meringue cap, good retention and lacing.

Aroma of soft weissbier esters and phenols(Clove-banana) over a pleasant roasty toffee malt discernment.

Toffee malts in front with fruit and spice tones, mid palate a roastyness and herbal hop bite, lightly sweet but drying finish.

Nice little hefeweizen with added roast and dark toffee tones, I think I like this better than their helles hefe.

06-23-2010 21:01:06 | More by pootz
mralphabet

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

1 pt 0.9 oz bottle poured into Weiherstaphan Glass....

A: Foggy muddy looking, brown orange in color. Big foamy white head, that settles to a nice ring, with just a little lacing.

S: Classic Dunkelweizen, only deeper, darker and richer. There is a fruitiness here with good backbone of banana, clove and raisins. Very sweet and delicious smelling

T: All the smells are here.... more of a banana nut bread with some raisins mixed in... There is a slight hops taste in back end of the palette. Very nice.

M: Light to Med bodied.... Very refreshing but a little fuller than some Dunkelweizen I've had. Overall good to the style.

D: Another great Beer from Weihenstephanen.... Low ABV and very drinkable. I could do another one of these with no problem.

06-14-2010 03:29:02 | More by mralphabet
magnj

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

A - First glass was a nice clear brown, second was hazy from yeast. Big fluffy head in my snifter.

S - Typical clean hefe yeast you expect from them, with a little dark fruit in the mix. Deeper malt aromas than in the normal hefe version.

T - Again pretty similar to their regular hefe but a bit of a bigger body, maybe a little less sweet. Major yeast contribution, this time with a deeper malt taste. Vaguely chocolate at the end. I like it very much.

M/D - Average body, great drinkability. I could easily drink a couple of these on a cool summer evening and it wouldn't kill the wallet, decent price near me for the quality.

06-13-2010 00:53:01 | More by magnj
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Pours a cloudy, yeasty orange-brown. The ample head has a similar color and a dense, foamy/rocky texture. Retention is strong, with attractive bits of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: A big, fruity, yeasty nose full of banana and apple aromas. Vibrant spicy notes of clove and tangy wheat and yeast. A light herbal hop presence stays mostly in the background. A very slight caramel/brown sugar note as well.

T: Some mild brown sugar up front, with firmer notes of wheat malt. A tangy, fruity yeast presence steals the show here. Banana, golden apples, and perhaps a bit of pear. Moderate notes of clove and dusty spice. A faint herbal hop bitterness fits the style well.

M: Medium-full body. An excellent, creamy mouthfeel with medium-light carbonation. A bit of an inviting dryness into the finish.

D: I'm very impressed with this beer. A delicious, supremely drinkable dunkelweizen that should have near-universal appeal. In many ways, this drinks like a cross between a dubbel and a hefeweizen, and in this case the result is excellent. Highly recommended.

06-11-2010 02:30:28 | More by Clydesdale
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from the 500mL brown glass bottle into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a murky rusty color with some orange coming through. Brown or else very deep red. Strange and unique coloration, but I'm not sure it's the most appetizing looking beer I've ever seen. Topped with a 3 finger off-white or cream color head with great retention.

S: Interesting combination of light fruits in the nose, followed by berry or something. Malt backbone is mainly dark breads with a hint of brown sugar followed by a nice yeasty touch.

T: Some spiced apple and other fruit first in the taste, then some berry. Light touch of toasted malt in the middle there to balance things out. Finish is fruity with apples and spice and a light drying bitterness quickly covered by a yeasty character that sticks around.

M: Light and crisp, yet smooth. Nice.

D: So good and refreshing. This is light but with a rich taste. I could drink many of these at any time of year. Overall a great beer.

06-08-2010 10:02:56 | More by BucBasil
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan