Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier DunkelWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
tburus

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a beautiful 0.5L Weihenstephaner logo weizen glass!

Appearance: Cloudy, dark brown-- somewhat the color of a dark brewed tea. Thick, frothy, magnificent, 3-finger head.

Smell: Very similar to the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but darker and more subdued, with noticeable roasted notes to it.

Taste: Again, much like the Hefeweissbier, but with tad bit more bitterness and less of a fruity after affect.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy. The roasted-fruity sensation hangs there; not quite as long as the Hefeweissbier, but long enough. Very subtle, not overpowering at all.

Drinkability: This beer was half gone before I even knew it. Goes down so easy and is such a delight to drink. I won't go as far as to say that I like it better than the Hefeweissbier, but I would not be disappointed if this was all I had on me.

12-03-2010 18:38:03 | More by tburus
allforbetterbeer

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a snifter.

An impressive billowy two fingers of creamy looking head crowns the murky light brown-orange body. The head is comprised of larger bubbles underneath and very small ones on top. I don't know if I have seen such clear stratification in a head before.

The nose is comprised of sweet and sticky yeasty clove and banana notes, nearly perfect for the style. Think of sour dough whole wheat bread with sticky-bun style sugar glaze on the outside. The smell just begs the palate to take a sip.

Lively colorful flavors cascade through the mouth in the first sip. Spicy clove is much more prominent in the flavor than in the nose. The yeast bites with a wonderful spicy snap and the malty wheat goodness balances. Nutmeg and mace make a showing as well. This is like holiday bread in a bottle, but it would taste good any day of the year.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with abundant carbonation. A little swirling lowers the bubbly a bit, and as I always prefer lower carbonation it becomes sublime. The original carbonation is spot on for the style however.

Drinkability is about as good as it can get. Wonderful from the time you crack the cap on the bottle to after the last swallow.

Conclusion: A triumph. There is little doubt that Weihenstephaner has mastered the art of the classic styles of German wheat beers. I love this style of beer and I can find no major faults with this example of the style. Drink it.

12-03-2010 17:44:15 | More by allforbetterbeer
mbusster88

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from bottle into weissbier glass.

A: Deep brown color with fluffy off white head. Very hazy and decently carbonated.

S: Very malty in the nose, get the cloves and some light toffee notes. Also get caramel and the clean weissbier smell.

T/M: Cloves right up front, some fruit notes, heavy malt backbone, very clean feel.

D: Easy drinking, very clean, good beer and well put together.

11-25-2010 00:44:54 | More by mbusster88
Welsman

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Oh sweet Jebus, this beer is fabulous.
Exceptional in every way.
Pours a medium brown, the head is obscene,
so thick and creamy.
Tastes of bananas and cloves,
(blah blah blah), SO good on tap in the proper hefe glass,
(Brauhaus Schmitz, philly), lets all give in
to Delish-isness.
This brewery has to be the finest in the world, i know its the oldest, since 1050.

11-23-2010 20:08:10 | More by Welsman
BobZ

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into Weihenstephaner Weissebier Glass.

Appearance: Dark amber/orange, head builds initially then recedes to about a ¼", excellent lacing

Smell: Malty dunkle aroma, and as expected some clove and banana.

Taste: Follows the nose with malt flavor, subtle hefeweizen flavors (clove & banana). Solid example of the style.

Mouth feel: Smooth, well carbonated.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, nice depth of flavor helps make this a great session beer.

11-22-2010 00:05:50 | More by BobZ
gkunkle

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

After I had tried Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier figured I had to try this. I was in Germany a few years ago and it was then that I decided this was one of my favorite styles. This beer pours a little lighter than I expected it was a cloudy auburn color with a wonderfully tall off-white head. The smell was of clove and wheat. When I went for my first taste I initially got a little bit of foam on my nose (definitely a good sign, great head retention) the taste was similar to the smell but also brought out a nuttiness or a dark fruitiness of some sort, there is also just a slight bit of a roasted flavor to this. The beer is medium bodied with perfect carbonation. Overall, this is a wonderful beer, the perfect embodiment of the style.

11-20-2010 23:48:24 | More by gkunkle
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Bomber, bottled on 3/5/09, poured into a wheat beer glass (reviewed in October).

A: Pour a light brown that I can only think of as an over-ripe brown banana color. Has the same massive 3-finger head as the lighter version with the color being a little off-white. The head last forever as before and gives good lacing.

S: Pretty much exactly the same as the lighter version, albeit a little bit stronger and darker (no kidding!). Lots of nice banana that seems to be a little sweeter, other dark fruits, floral yeast, banana, malty bread, and esters.

T: Just as it smells. Everything is well balanced but definitely a bit more robust than the normal Hefeweissbier. I prefer this.

M: This is just a little bit more full bodied than the normal version, which is kind of hard to believe. However, it's something I don't mind one bit. If you want a thin beer, drink club soda.

D: Again it's a little bit heavier than the normal one so it's a bit harder to drink a lot of, but despite that, this is my favorite wheat beer.

Although this was an old bottle, it really held up great. This is easily my favorite wheat beer. I can't wait to find a fresh bottle of this stuff.

11-09-2010 21:07:17 | More by Satchboogie
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: (Poured into a weizen glass at 48F.) This Dunkelweizen poured a murky amber color which reminded me of the the raw honey I bought at the farmer's market. Light gets through, but not easily. A robust off-white three-finger head is alive while the fairly large bubbles burst with sound like they're calling out for consumption.

Aroma: What can I say? Banana, banana, banana. Oh, and warm spiced apple cider, sweet brown sugary malts, and caramely. Makes my mouth water.

Flavor: Almost as good as it smells. The banana hangs in there for the duration and the spiced apple cider is in there as well. Once I let it breath and warm up a bit, some sour apple makes the show as well. This is much sweeter than I anticipated. Delightful.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a slight fluffiness of sorts. Carbonation is just about perfect. As the beer warms, some prickliness makes an appearance. The finish is a bit dry.

Drinkability: I wish I had another.

The $2.40 I paid for this 1 pt+ bottle is money well spent. Next time, I'm buying all of them from the shelf.

11-02-2010 23:41:56 | More by DelMontiac
russwbeck

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Brown, cloudy, pour with a huge 3 finger off-white head. Very nice retention and lacing.

S: Smells very inviting. Clove, bananas and some caramel. Some roasted malts coming through.

T: Taste is earthy up front. Brown-sugar and maltiness starts it off. Banana comes out next, with a nice dry finish. Not 100% what I expected, but very good nonetheless.

MF: Creamy and smooth. Medium bodied and full of good carbonation.

D: Very high. Low ABV and wonderful taste make me wish I had more than one.

10-28-2010 23:09:41 | More by russwbeck
VaTechHopHead

4.08/5  rDev -4%

A - Unfiltered muddy brown with a huge 2-finger slight off-white head.

S - Bananas, cloves, light roasted malt, and plenty 'o sweetness.

T - Lights of yeast esters (banana, plum, brown sugar) with a great malt backbone. This is a solid dunkel and I would use it as a baseline to compare all other great beers in this category.

M/D - Thinner body than I was expecting but great carbonation for the style. Nice flavor profile and yeast flavors makes it real easy to drink, and searching for other flavors. Finishes with a nice malty sugar sweetness.

10-26-2010 04:18:01 | More by VaTechHopHead
adam42381

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a murky dark caramel color with golden highlights and a huge 4 finger off-white fluffy head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Clove, banana, yeast, light malt and spices. Smells delicious.

Taste: Banana up front followed by clove in the middle and a nice mix of spices at the finish. Typical wheat flavor in the background throughout. Aftertaste is light and somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. You could knock back several of these without any issues.

Overall: Excellent beer overall and a near-perfect example of a dunkelweizen. I would highly recommend this beer.

10-24-2010 16:59:19 | More by adam42381
sweemzander

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

bottle poured into a Hefe glass.

(A)- Pours a clear yet darker sienna brown color that produced a mountain of an off-white fluffy head with great retention. Tons of lace left behind.

(S)- A light roasted-like caramel with clove, banana, and lemon.

(T)- A nice creamy banana, clove, bubblegum combo. Finishes with a very subtle caramel-like sweetness.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Light and creamy with a sweetness to it. A tad thinner than expected.

(D)- A good Dunkel. Not quite up to par with their superb Hefe, but its a good one when looking for something in the style.

10-20-2010 14:43:53 | More by sweemzander
srandycarter

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a murky dark honey, lots of pillowy head, good amount of cling lace.

S - Mostly clove, followed by banana and other mulling spices.

T - Taste matches smell pretty well. Sharp and herbal, followed by banana. Dry, astrigent finish.

M - Not sweet enough to start with me. Balanced to herbal and sharp.

D - One is enough. After reading reviews, I wonder how fresh my sample is, because it sounds far better by other palates.

10-20-2010 03:54:22 | More by srandycarter
bigrzman

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

I picked this up in a 500ml bottle and poured it into a wheat glass. It poured out with a deep woody mahogany color with plenty of excited bubble racing to the top forming a dull brown-white head that lingers throughout. I smell fruity esters that i can't put a finger on and banana. Later in the sniff i pick up bread, yeast, and grain, a fine bouquet. Very bready, banana, apricot, and a hint of cherry. Nice mild hop drying effect that balances off the malts. The mouthfeel is wet up front drying in the back and medium overall. Carbonation is prickly and burpy. This beer goes down like nectar with a wanting for more. I can see myself in a bar in Germany drinking the day away with this beer. Outstanding beer, one of the best in its style hands down.

10-16-2010 06:43:21 | More by bigrzman
cadizkyguy

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked up this gem of a beer at Friar Tuck near Champaign, IL in the spring and it's been chilling in my mini fridge ever since -- largely due to an extremely hot spring and summer here in western Kentucky. To me, this style needs to be enjoyed in the cooler months and tonite is perfect.

This brewery makes some wonderful beer. This one is no different.

Appearance/Smell -- I apologize for not having the proper glassware. Poured into an oversized wine glass and it's not a bad choice at that as the oversized opening allows me to get a frothy pour with some wonderful earthy smells, such as overripe bananas.

Taste/mouthful/drinkability -- I'm trying to allow this beer to warm up to see what room temperature brings to this brew, but it is so good so I'm finding that hard to do. Nonetheless, this is an interesting beer. Not all that familiar with the style.

Age has not affected this beer. It is the king of beers for this style and I will re-visit it soon.

10-14-2010 06:42:02 | More by cadizkyguy
bobhits

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Coca Cola in color, far finer carbonation and a well formed thick creamy head. Malt here we come!

Bananas and caramel. Some earthy spices and wheat. Maybe a touch of buble gum way in the back ground.

Sweet, brown sugary, just perfectly hit by earthy European hops to cut the sweetness and then finishing with bananas. There's a roasted flavor here, but the yeast flavor and the huge malt really keep it from doing much more than opening up this beer.

5.3% alcohol and it is about as thick and full bodied a beer as I've had without calling it a sipper. I love that with this beer.

The mouth is perhaps a touch harsher than is needed. Maybe the hops?

The most flavorful beer I've ever had under 6% and not a sour.

10-06-2010 02:56:21 | More by bobhits
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Always having been a huge fan of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, it shocked me to realise I'd never reviewed their dunkel. Well, that's something that needs rectifying... Served in my half-litre Franziskaner weizen glass.

Pours a lovely deep and cloudy orange-brown colour, which glistens and shines in the light. A beautiful colour for a dunkelweizen. Head is a thick and boisterous froth of yellow-tinged white, that foams and crackles its way down to half a centimetre of film by the end, and leaves a bit of separated lacing. Carbonation is strong and boisterous, although looks like there's enough body to give it some trouble. It's a truly magnificent looking dunkelweizen.

Nose is redolent with delicious weizen characters, giving the classic banana and spice aromas. But it's also broadened with sweet caramel, brown sugar and banana bread, that give this wonderfully refined character and deepen the experience. Spice comes through with prickly clove and biting fresh pepper and ozone. Great nose. Just wonderful.

Taste is also good, although it's mellower than it might have been. The spiciness on the nose disappears here, although the languid, sweet toffee characters come through more prominently. Hint of banana through the centre, and there's a long, lingering back palate that gives off an odd freshness like lightly chlorinated water. Feel is light and fluid - whatever body the malty caramel may have suggested is a little absent.

A lovely beer, and an excellent dunkelweizen. As good as it is, I still feel that while the Weihenstephaner Hefe makes me think it's the peerless pinnacle of the art, this dunkel makes me think there may be another better one out there.

But maybe only one.

10-05-2010 06:40:57 | More by lacqueredmouse
Vdubb86

Served in a .5L Weihenstephan Weiss Glass
On-tap at Schnitzel Platz in Glendale Heights, IL for Oktoberfest

I've had this beer in the past and remember liking it, now I finally got a chance to review it. The appearance is of a cloudy dirty brown color that is to be associated with the dunkelweizen. This was also given to me with two fingers of very pillowy head. The smell is of the traditional belgian yeasts which include the heavy smells of banana and clove. In addition there were aromas of orange zest and the overall bready malt aroma. The taste was strongly of the banana, clove and citrus most closely associated with orange. There were also hints of rock candy and brown sugar. The mouthfeel was creamy and delicious as only a good weiss bier should be. This was quite drinkable and very pleasant. I recommend having this if given the opportunity.

10-04-2010 04:08:14 | More by Vdubb86
Rayek

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into Weizen glass.

A: Cloudy copper colored brew. A huge, rocky and dense cream head slowly falls to a 1/4 inch pillow. Leaves a good amount of lace.

S: Lots of clove and coco initially. Toffee, plum and banana aromas added a layer of sweetness.

T: Starts out with a toffee and coco sweetness that's followed by a dry biscuit flavor. Bitterness comes on with a sharp clove and lemon bite. Dark fruits reside in the background. Finishes tart and dry, with lingering coco and clove flavors.

M: The grainy body has a high level of prickly carbonation that feels just right for this style.

D: This is a very nice Dunkel. The complexity of flavor and low ABV make it an easy drinker.

10-04-2010 02:53:31 | More by Rayek
claspada

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Aromas are mainly of German Hefe yeast; full of banana and apple. Vibrant spicy notes of clove and wheat. A light herbal hop presence stays mostly in the background. A very slight caramel note as well.

Tastes are of mild brown sugar up front, with firmer notes of wheat malt. A strong yeast presence steals the show here, however. Banana, cloves and apples. A faint herbal hop bitterness fits the style well. This beer is a medium-full bodied beer. Excellent, creamy mouthfeel with medium-light carbonation.

Overall I am very pleased with this beer, I was not a big fan of their lighter hefe but I'm very impressed with this beer. A delicious, supremely drinkable dunkelweizen. Highly recommended, especially for the low low price tag.

10-04-2010 02:12:42 | More by claspada
Mit

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

a-Pours a nice dark hazy brown with a nice foamy head.

s- cloves, coriander, citrus peel, malty character

t- sweeter as it warms, fairly spicey, smooth finish. Slight banana flavour.

m-I thought it was fairly full, fuller than the ABV would suggest.

d-really nice to drink. I loved this beer. I could drink lots.

I have been on a US beer kick for the last few years, but this may have launched me back over the pond and away from IPAs. I will def be picking more of this up.

09-30-2010 22:54:23 | More by Mit
Insomnicat

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

a - pours cloudy brown with boatloads of cream head

s - bananas take up the background behind malt

t - malt with some roasted malt and a background/aftertaste of banana

m - very light and crisp. This beer would be incredible after a hard day's manual labor

d - very drinkable. very very drinkable. I'd buy a 6 pack in a heartbeat.

09-30-2010 00:51:13 | More by Insomnicat
kevinjosephlee

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A hazy orange-brown with a white, half-centimeter head. Good retention of the moderately thick and moussy head and beautiful lacing signature.

S: Banana, pineapple and clove in the nose. Good balance and presence of phenols and fruity esters. Perhaps some bubblegum tones. As the beer warmed, banana bread was noted

T: Banana and clove very prominent in this one, with low malty notes. Roasted malt character comes through as the beer warms but maintains it supporting role in deference to the yeast's symphony. A nice tart and dry finish.

M: A fluffy fullness (not big or full-bodied nor with overpowering flavors) that finishes relatively lighter. Good and rich carbonation.

Notes: I am on a dunkelweizen push right now. Aventinus on tap was probably my favorite because of its darker fruit tones. The Moosbacker was also a favorite because it shared the dark fruit character. As far as hitting the mark for a catagory, this beer (and brewery) does it very well.

09-29-2010 22:05:29 | More by kevinjosephlee
Strix

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Cloudy orange-brown, big initial head, little lacing.

Very floral smell, with a bit of clove and banana.

Apple, clove, bread, banana, caramel, all blended together nicely.

Medium-light mouthfeel, very smooth and soft.

This disappeared before I knew what happened to it. So drinkable. A wonderful beer.

09-29-2010 01:33:24 | More by Strix
Sleestak

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a burnt orange with a head that looks like a dollup of vanilla ice cream. Just looks fantastic. Zesty banana bread on the smell. Citrus, spices, banana, yeast and wheat bread with a hint of roastiness towards the end. Creamy mouthfeel mmm this is a good beer. A great dunkelweizen from an exceptional German brewery, one of the best.

09-26-2010 17:11:09 | More by Sleestak
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan