Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Aroma has the typical hefeweizen banana and cloves in abundance. However, there's also a bit of a roasted malt presence there as well which differentiates this.

Pours a light brown with a considerable amount of haze to it. Head is pretty dense and good.

Carbonation is quite prickly. Taste is incredibly smooth, really. Loads of fruity esters, banana in particular, abound. Not cloyingly, however. A definite clove spiciness as well, as to be expected. No real hop presence at all. The wheat comes out as well at the finish, with a soft graininess that pleasantly rounds out the beer.

I know it is a dunkelweizen, but I really struggle to separate the flavor profile of this from the regular version. Maybe it's just me. However, it is one dang tasty beer. There are few beers that are going to go down easier than this. It's great just holding it in the mouth and savoring it.

3.11/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a cloudy walnut stain color with a vigorous head.
Smell is of mildewy spice.
The flavor is dominated with banana and spice
Mouthfeel is a bit sour and medicinal.
It's fairly light bodied and would be drinkable if you enjoy it's other aspects.
I tried this out of curiosity, but would never buy it again.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

From 12/08/10 notes. Had on tap at The Saloon in Washington, DC. Served into a 0.5L Georgetown Saloon weizen glass.

a - Pours a darkish brown color with 2 fingers of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves light lacing on the glass.
Looks great.

s - Smells of bananas, cloves, spices, wheat, and toasted malts. Bananas jump right out at you.

t - Tastes of bananas, toasted malts, wheat, bready malts, very light spices, and sweet caramel malts. Tastes amazing, pretty perfect for the style.

m - Medium body and high carbonation that stings the tongue. A little less carbonated and the mouthfeel would be great.

d - A very good beer hurt by it's high carbonation. This was probably the best tasting dunkelweizen I've had and it looked great as well. Would certainly have again but I think if it was less carbonated it could be even better.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

500ml bottle poured into a Stella challis.

A - Huge, pillowy eggcream white 4-finger head that falls slowly, leaving rings around the glass. Cloudy and dark dried apricot orange.

S - Ripe bananas on the pour. Banana custard in the glass. Bazooka bubblegum. Hints of clove, dense and moist fresh bread, and lightly toasted malt.

T - Whole grain banana bread with a good touch of clove along the sides of the tongue, providing a great balance between sweet and spice. Sweetness of a thick banana and caramel cream with wafers dessert lingers on the finish, but it's not cloying. Spend some time between sips and tastes like peaches and nutmeg appear.

M - Somewhat fizzy, with a smoothness that follows. Good carbonation. Excellent body for the style. Refreshingly snaps off at the swallow. Finish is longer than expected, and a tad dryer than the sweetness of the taste suggests it would be.

D - This is one very delicious dunkel. I'd love to find this on tap someday, or pair it with some grilled brats and sauerkraut. Has all the exceptional quality of its regular brother with a bit more character. I could easily drink several of these and still wish for just one more. Simply outstanding.

Appearance- poured into a weizen glass, pours a cloudy copper color with a moderate head. Good retention and lacing.

Smell- Banana, clove, some bubble gum, smells like a hefe- looks darker.

Taste- Pretty much follows the aroma exactly, a bit more bready, and a touch of caramel malt in this one. Sweet overall, but not cloying.

Mouthfeel- medium body, low carbonation for the style.

Overall- Solid beer, but had this back to back with Ayinger's Dunkeweizen and I thought that one was slightly better.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

A: poured into it's branded glass. cloudy amber/dirty copper color with a thick, persistent head and lacing coating all the way down the glass.
S: banana, clove, toffee, caramel, dark bready fruitcakey malts.
T: light to medium sweetness balanced out by sourish twang of the wheat, carbonation, and hidden smooth hop bitterness. finishes mostly crisp and dry.
M: frothy, medium-bodied, chewy.
D: the glass begs to be picked back up constantly.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured into hefe-glass after long day at work.

A - nice dark amber color with a big, almost three finger head that stuck around for awhile. The look is by far the lowest quality of this beer.

S - bananas, peaches, cloves, brown sugar, fresh sourdough bread....if they made a candle with this scent i'd buy it...mmmm

T - first sip I am greeted with a nice balance of malt and banana...kind of like an old fashioned milkshake if it wasn't for the carbonation. I'm surprised they can lock this much flavor into a 5.3 abv! The rest of the first glass finishes with fresh bread and bubblegum, apples and caramel... I could drink this all day.

M - It's a great balanced mouthfeel. Almost like Chimay's ales are known for, goes down very smooth.

D - If I had an endless supply of this I wouldn't have a job because I would be too drunk due to constantly drinking this. I don't know if I could drink this on a 100 degree day but any other time I would. Whenever I see this on a shelf at a store, i'll be picking it up and I suggest you do the same. Outstanding, a little over a pint bottle was gone before I even had time to finish all of my notes for this review.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a beautiful 0.5L Weihenstephaner logo weizen glass!

Appearance: Cloudy, dark brown-- somewhat the color of a dark brewed tea. Thick, frothy, magnificent, 3-finger head.

Smell: Very similar to the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but darker and more subdued, with noticeable roasted notes to it.

Taste: Again, much like the Hefeweissbier, but with tad bit more bitterness and less of a fruity after affect.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy. The roasted-fruity sensation hangs there; not quite as long as the Hefeweissbier, but long enough. Very subtle, not overpowering at all.

Drinkability: This beer was half gone before I even knew it. Goes down so easy and is such a delight to drink. I won't go as far as to say that I like it better than the Hefeweissbier, but I would not be disappointed if this was all I had on me.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a snifter.

An impressive billowy two fingers of creamy looking head crowns the murky light brown-orange body. The head is comprised of larger bubbles underneath and very small ones on top. I don't know if I have seen such clear stratification in a head before.

The nose is comprised of sweet and sticky yeasty clove and banana notes, nearly perfect for the style. Think of sour dough whole wheat bread with sticky-bun style sugar glaze on the outside. The smell just begs the palate to take a sip.

Lively colorful flavors cascade through the mouth in the first sip. Spicy clove is much more prominent in the flavor than in the nose. The yeast bites with a wonderful spicy snap and the malty wheat goodness balances. Nutmeg and mace make a showing as well. This is like holiday bread in a bottle, but it would taste good any day of the year.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with abundant carbonation. A little swirling lowers the bubbly a bit, and as I always prefer lower carbonation it becomes sublime. The original carbonation is spot on for the style however.

Drinkability is about as good as it can get. Wonderful from the time you crack the cap on the bottle to after the last swallow.

Conclusion: A triumph. There is little doubt that Weihenstephaner has mastered the art of the classic styles of German wheat beers. I love this style of beer and I can find no major faults with this example of the style. Drink it.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from bottle into weissbier glass.

A: Deep brown color with fluffy off white head. Very hazy and decently carbonated.

S: Very malty in the nose, get the cloves and some light toffee notes. Also get caramel and the clean weissbier smell.

T/M: Cloves right up front, some fruit notes, heavy malt backbone, very clean feel.

D: Easy drinking, very clean, good beer and well put together.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Oh sweet Jebus, this beer is fabulous.
Exceptional in every way.
Pours a medium brown, the head is obscene,
so thick and creamy.
Tastes of bananas and cloves,
(blah blah blah), SO good on tap in the proper hefe glass,
(Brauhaus Schmitz, philly), lets all give in
to Delish-isness.
This brewery has to be the finest in the world, i know its the oldest, since 1050.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into Weihenstephaner Weissebier Glass.

Appearance: Dark amber/orange, head builds initially then recedes to about a ¼", excellent lacing

Smell: Malty dunkle aroma, and as expected some clove and banana.

Taste: Follows the nose with malt flavor, subtle hefeweizen flavors (clove & banana). Solid example of the style.

Mouth feel: Smooth, well carbonated.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, nice depth of flavor helps make this a great session beer.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%

After I had tried Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier figured I had to try this. I was in Germany a few years ago and it was then that I decided this was one of my favorite styles. This beer pours a little lighter than I expected it was a cloudy auburn color with a wonderfully tall off-white head. The smell was of clove and wheat. When I went for my first taste I initially got a little bit of foam on my nose (definitely a good sign, great head retention) the taste was similar to the smell but also brought out a nuttiness or a dark fruitiness of some sort, there is also just a slight bit of a roasted flavor to this. The beer is medium bodied with perfect carbonation. Overall, this is a wonderful beer, the perfect embodiment of the style.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Bomber, bottled on 3/5/09, poured into a wheat beer glass (reviewed in October).

A: Pour a light brown that I can only think of as an over-ripe brown banana color. Has the same massive 3-finger head as the lighter version with the color being a little off-white. The head last forever as before and gives good lacing.

S: Pretty much exactly the same as the lighter version, albeit a little bit stronger and darker (no kidding!). Lots of nice banana that seems to be a little sweeter, other dark fruits, floral yeast, banana, malty bread, and esters.

T: Just as it smells. Everything is well balanced but definitely a bit more robust than the normal Hefeweissbier. I prefer this.

M: This is just a little bit more full bodied than the normal version, which is kind of hard to believe. However, it's something I don't mind one bit. If you want a thin beer, drink club soda.

D: Again it's a little bit heavier than the normal one so it's a bit harder to drink a lot of, but despite that, this is my favorite wheat beer.

Although this was an old bottle, it really held up great. This is easily my favorite wheat beer. I can't wait to find a fresh bottle of this stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: (Poured into a weizen glass at 48F.) This Dunkelweizen poured a murky amber color which reminded me of the the raw honey I bought at the farmer's market. Light gets through, but not easily. A robust off-white three-finger head is alive while the fairly large bubbles burst with sound like they're calling out for consumption.

Aroma: What can I say? Banana, banana, banana. Oh, and warm spiced apple cider, sweet brown sugary malts, and caramely. Makes my mouth water.

Flavor: Almost as good as it smells. The banana hangs in there for the duration and the spiced apple cider is in there as well. Once I let it breath and warm up a bit, some sour apple makes the show as well. This is much sweeter than I anticipated. Delightful.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a slight fluffiness of sorts. Carbonation is just about perfect. As the beer warms, some prickliness makes an appearance. The finish is a bit dry.

Drinkability: I wish I had another.

The $2.40 I paid for this 1 pt+ bottle is money well spent. Next time, I'm buying all of them from the shelf.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

A: Brown, cloudy, pour with a huge 3 finger off-white head. Very nice retention and lacing.

S: Smells very inviting. Clove, bananas and some caramel. Some roasted malts coming through.

T: Taste is earthy up front. Brown-sugar and maltiness starts it off. Banana comes out next, with a nice dry finish. Not 100% what I expected, but very good nonetheless.

MF: Creamy and smooth. Medium bodied and full of good carbonation.

D: Very high. Low ABV and wonderful taste make me wish I had more than one.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

A - Unfiltered muddy brown with a huge 2-finger slight off-white head.

S - Bananas, cloves, light roasted malt, and plenty 'o sweetness.

T - Lights of yeast esters (banana, plum, brown sugar) with a great malt backbone. This is a solid dunkel and I would use it as a baseline to compare all other great beers in this category.

M/D - Thinner body than I was expecting but great carbonation for the style. Nice flavor profile and yeast flavors makes it real easy to drink, and searching for other flavors. Finishes with a nice malty sugar sweetness.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a murky dark caramel color with golden highlights and a huge 4 finger off-white fluffy head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Clove, banana, yeast, light malt and spices. Smells delicious.

Taste: Banana up front followed by clove in the middle and a nice mix of spices at the finish. Typical wheat flavor in the background throughout. Aftertaste is light and somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. You could knock back several of these without any issues.

Overall: Excellent beer overall and a near-perfect example of a dunkelweizen. I would highly recommend this beer.

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bottle poured into a Hefe glass.

(A)- Pours a clear yet darker sienna brown color that produced a mountain of an off-white fluffy head with great retention. Tons of lace left behind.

(S)- A light roasted-like caramel with clove, banana, and lemon.

(T)- A nice creamy banana, clove, bubblegum combo. Finishes with a very subtle caramel-like sweetness.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Light and creamy with a sweetness to it. A tad thinner than expected.

(D)- A good Dunkel. Not quite up to par with their superb Hefe, but its a good one when looking for something in the style.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a murky dark honey, lots of pillowy head, good amount of cling lace.

S - Mostly clove, followed by banana and other mulling spices.

T - Taste matches smell pretty well. Sharp and herbal, followed by banana. Dry, astrigent finish.

M - Not sweet enough to start with me. Balanced to herbal and sharp.

D - One is enough. After reading reviews, I wonder how fresh my sample is, because it sounds far better by other palates.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

I picked this up in a 500ml bottle and poured it into a wheat glass. It poured out with a deep woody mahogany color with plenty of excited bubble racing to the top forming a dull brown-white head that lingers throughout. I smell fruity esters that i can't put a finger on and banana. Later in the sniff i pick up bread, yeast, and grain, a fine bouquet. Very bready, banana, apricot, and a hint of cherry. Nice mild hop drying effect that balances off the malts. The mouthfeel is wet up front drying in the back and medium overall. Carbonation is prickly and burpy. This beer goes down like nectar with a wanting for more. I can see myself in a bar in Germany drinking the day away with this beer. Outstanding beer, one of the best in its style hands down.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked up this gem of a beer at Friar Tuck near Champaign, IL in the spring and it's been chilling in my mini fridge ever since -- largely due to an extremely hot spring and summer here in western Kentucky. To me, this style needs to be enjoyed in the cooler months and tonite is perfect.

This brewery makes some wonderful beer. This one is no different.

Appearance/Smell -- I apologize for not having the proper glassware. Poured into an oversized wine glass and it's not a bad choice at that as the oversized opening allows me to get a frothy pour with some wonderful earthy smells, such as overripe bananas.

Taste/mouthful/drinkability -- I'm trying to allow this beer to warm up to see what room temperature brings to this brew, but it is so good so I'm finding that hard to do. Nonetheless, this is an interesting beer. Not all that familiar with the style.

Age has not affected this beer. It is the king of beers for this style and I will re-visit it soon.

4.01/5  rDev -5.6%

Coca Cola in color, far finer carbonation and a well formed thick creamy head. Malt here we come!

Bananas and caramel. Some earthy spices and wheat. Maybe a touch of buble gum way in the back ground.

Sweet, brown sugary, just perfectly hit by earthy European hops to cut the sweetness and then finishing with bananas. There's a roasted flavor here, but the yeast flavor and the huge malt really keep it from doing much more than opening up this beer.

5.3% alcohol and it is about as thick and full bodied a beer as I've had without calling it a sipper. I love that with this beer.

The mouth is perhaps a touch harsher than is needed. Maybe the hops?

The most flavorful beer I've ever had under 6% and not a sour.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Always having been a huge fan of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, it shocked me to realise I'd never reviewed their dunkel. Well, that's something that needs rectifying... Served in my half-litre Franziskaner weizen glass.

Pours a lovely deep and cloudy orange-brown colour, which glistens and shines in the light. A beautiful colour for a dunkelweizen. Head is a thick and boisterous froth of yellow-tinged white, that foams and crackles its way down to half a centimetre of film by the end, and leaves a bit of separated lacing. Carbonation is strong and boisterous, although looks like there's enough body to give it some trouble. It's a truly magnificent looking dunkelweizen.

Nose is redolent with delicious weizen characters, giving the classic banana and spice aromas. But it's also broadened with sweet caramel, brown sugar and banana bread, that give this wonderfully refined character and deepen the experience. Spice comes through with prickly clove and biting fresh pepper and ozone. Great nose. Just wonderful.

Taste is also good, although it's mellower than it might have been. The spiciness on the nose disappears here, although the languid, sweet toffee characters come through more prominently. Hint of banana through the centre, and there's a long, lingering back palate that gives off an odd freshness like lightly chlorinated water. Feel is light and fluid - whatever body the malty caramel may have suggested is a little absent.

A lovely beer, and an excellent dunkelweizen. As good as it is, I still feel that while the Weihenstephaner Hefe makes me think it's the peerless pinnacle of the art, this dunkel makes me think there may be another better one out there.

But maybe only one.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in a .5L Weihenstephan Weiss Glass
On-tap at Schnitzel Platz in Glendale Heights, IL for Oktoberfest

I've had this beer in the past and remember liking it, now I finally got a chance to review it. The appearance is of a cloudy dirty brown color that is to be associated with the dunkelweizen. This was also given to me with two fingers of very pillowy head. The smell is of the traditional belgian yeasts which include the heavy smells of banana and clove. In addition there were aromas of orange zest and the overall bready malt aroma. The taste was strongly of the banana, clove and citrus most closely associated with orange. There were also hints of rock candy and brown sugar. The mouthfeel was creamy and delicious as only a good weiss bier should be. This was quite drinkable and very pleasant. I recommend having this if given the opportunity.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan