Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,608 | Reviews: 1,038
3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

16.9 oz bottle poured into weizen glass. Appearance is cloudy brown that goes from diluted iced tea at the bottom to caramel at the top. A billowing tan head settles to a cap of tiny bubbles. Aroma is clove and other mulling spices, yeast, tart apple, green banana, and some sweet malt and earthy bitterness on the finish. Taste is medium banana bread sweetness initially, assertive clove spice, and light caramel on the swallow. Light-medium body, super full,creamy texture, lively carbonation, and a long mouth-coating malt and clove finish.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Mid sized head with a little lace and a hazy, amber-brown body.

S - Fruity, spicy, wheat with banana esters and a mild cinnamon note.

T - Some fruit and lots of clove. A bit of caramel in the middle precedes the sweet, spicy wheat finish.

M - Slightly thick body and moderately high carbonation with a bit of chalkiness in the finish.

D - Quite spicy, this is a nice example of the style and easily drinkable.

3.79/5  rDev -11%

Poured from 16oz. bottle into a pilsner glass

A: Poured a 5 finger head creamy white head that dissipates quickly to a point, and then slows and becomes porous. Brew itself is a relatively cloudy light orange-brown. Lacing is stringy but ample. Cascade effect of the head is impressive.

S: Nose is wheat and Belgian yeast with a hint of citrus.

T: Start is earthy and subdued and creamy. Brew starts to sweeten towards the end and becomes the slightest bit tart with a hint of citrus. Finishes light and quick with almost no aftertaste but a little flowery.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation that finishes easy and crisp. Finish begs you to drink more.

D: Highly drinkable and an impressive session beer. Full flavored but a little watery at the end.

3.79/5  rDev -11%

Again near picture perfect looking DunkelWeisse. Brown. murky as all hell, great off white head and tons O' lacing.

I've had this before, so I'm wondering if this is from a so-so batch. Very slight banana aroma, more of a roast malt with an annoying sourness.

Tastes like a good hefeweiss. but with that slight malt roast flavour. Some banana, clove spiciness. Finishes quite dry and slightly chalky. Still a hint of that annoying sourness.

Classic Weihenstep mouthfeel.

Certainly a winner. Might have to try one from a different store to compare batches.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Presentation: Poured from a 500ml brown bottle into a large weizen glass. Bottle code is 2086, not sure how to read that.

Appearance: Pours with the typical huge, weizen head. Several inches at first, requiring a pause before pouring the rest of the beer. The head settles out about 1 inch, and stays there, a light tan. The beer itself starts out clear, but with a little swirling to get the compacted yeast, it takes on a nice cloudiness. The beer is medium brown with hints of an almost red/orange.

Smell: Sweet malt upfront, with the expected twang from the wheat. Very fruity, with strong notes of bananas and bubblegum.

Taste: Very fruit forward, with a lot of berry and banana flavors. Finishes with a lingering twang from the wheat. A little bit of clove spiciness, but not much, in the end.

Moutfheel: Average carbonation level. Great body.

Drinkability: I have a soft spot for wheats, especially during the summer months. This one is nice, a little fuller than a regualr wheat.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of banana bread with some spices. Taste is also of banana bread with some cloves and spices, quite tasty. Feels creamy in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a fine brew.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Central Market is having a 25% off beer sale today... so I had to go buy a few that I haven't reviewed before. Weihenstephaner makes some good beers (and they're freaking old...), so I figured I should give this a try. Served in a Budweiser signature glass.

I try not to cuss too much in these reviews... but fuck yes, this is what a beer should look like. Huge, pillowy head that just doen't go away. Definitely the best I've seen on a beer and my new standard for what a beer's head can be. The body itself is a nice, hazy, orangey brown. It's not nearly as impressive as the head, but I can't get over how good that was.

The smell is classic Weihenstephaner. I've used the Wyeast version of their yeast before and, well, they do it better. It has the distinct banana-type flavor of that yeast, but also a bready, caramelly undertone. I love the mix of those smells in dunkels. This isn't a perfect smell, but it's darned close.

The taste just isn't there relative to what I want it to be. The initial bursts of flavor similar to the nose aren't there and it comes across as watery. The finish has a decent caramelly lingering ring and it's really quaffable, but the taste I wanted just isn't there. Kind of a disappointment.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer poured beautifully into my newest piece of glassware, the Weihenstephan weizen glass. Looks to be a dark and hazy amber/golden, almost brown color with a thick fluffy head that starts perfectly at the .5L line and rises up to the rim of the glass with a mountainous surface tension. The head recedes to a cm thick bit of froth with great staying power, but leaving only a thin and spotty lacing. This beer isn't as well carbonated as it's lighter brethren (ie: didn't turn half of the bottle to a foam projectile upon opening), but there is a medium carbonation that can be seen through the darkness.

The smell very banana and clove with a bit of a soapy backing. For some reason whenever I drink Weihenstephan I can smell and taste the "oldness," though the beer itself isn't necessarily old.

The taste is sweet and malty, packing a bit of a wheat bite. In the finish, the banana/clove flavor sticks around along with a mild spicy herbal hop. Dryness is light to moderate, as is the body. Feels very soft and smooth in the mouth, though it still seems to pack a bit of the crispness of most German beer.

I would not rate this as one of my favorite dunkels, but it was worth a drink. I prefer the Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier; or Ayinger Ur-Weiss and Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel for other examples of dunkel. This was not a bad brew, but it just wasn't on par with any other dunkel I've had the pleasure of drinking.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Not sure why it took so long to get to this one... a preferred style from a storied brewery.

Nice clove and banana beginnings, with a bit of spice (that grows over time) and a bit of fruity sweetness. Subtlier presence than regular hefe.
Big full tannish head. Amber of golden brown. Somewhat cloudy. Just as it should be.
Flavor has considerably heavier malt character than some of the others. Further it's a darker malt quality, pushing a roast (much past my preferred caramel). Yeasty spiciness increases with time. Wheat provides a solid background, but is always that. Dryness and astringency towards the finish.
Not particularly soft, especially for a wheat beer. Fullness from a somewhat soft carbonation.
I was hoping to be blown away. I wasn't. But having said that, this is still good and towards to top of the class for style.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Had this at Track 84 on draft a couple weeks ago and thought it was excellent, but wasn't really able to take notes, so here goes. Served in my Oberon weizen. Poured a translucent brownish-amber with gold highlights. Tight, dense four inch off-white head with lots of sticky lacing present throughout the tasting. Scent of spices hits you immediately out of the bottle (corriander and clove), followed by bubblegum and a light banana essence. Wheat flavor dominates up front in the mouth; flavors identified in the nose are present, but very much watered down and somewhat muted and bland. Also detected a light yeastiness towards the finish. Mouthfeel was somewhat watery and light without very much effervescence; surprising considering the density of the head. Very good drinkability. Went down easy, but the experience was very different than when I sampled it on draft.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN.

Brown opaque sort of like Mott's apple juice with small tan head that dissipated. Bready and malty aroma. Sweet burnt malt flavor dominates. Fruit flavors also come through (plums?). Very lightly carbonated. I did not detect any banana nor cloves flavors, which I would have also liked, but was good tasting nevertheless.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Murky reddish golden appearance is only slightly darker than the regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. The head is appropriately tall and foamy, and carbonation level is high as is should be. This beer is much less aromatic than its paler brother, with a lot more wheat bread on the nose than cloves or bananas. The taste is also quite malty, with only a mild level of sweet fruitiness, but a bit of a spicy bite and lemony tanginess. The mouthfeel is light and feels a bit watered down. A good Hefeweizen for the people who prefer their iced tea unsweet rather than sweet.

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy light toffee caramel color... Fluffy slight off-white head... Still and little murky... Respectable head retention and an appealing lacing...

S - Apple... Pear... Malt... Clove... Banana... Nuttiness... Toffee... Caramel... Seltzer... Good balance... Excellent complexity... Quite enjoyable and intoxicating...

T - Malt... Apple... Clove... These are the most dominant tastes... They are followed by hints of toffee and crust...

M - Light to medium bodied... Thin and smooth... Spiceness resonates and clings to mouth... Slight carbonation and fizziness on the initial sip... Good mouthfeel, but I wish it had a slightly greater bite to it...

D - Excellent wheat beer... Well balanced with hints of complexity throughout... Would drink again, but I'm not sure it lived up to my expectations based on the stellar reviews of other BAs...

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark reddish/orange color. A two finger head forms and recedes to a small cap. Not much lace is left behind.
S: Malty with some toasty and husky hay character. Not much else. Some fruit banana and clove of course.
T: Very enjoyable. Malty and fruity. What bugs me the most though, is there is not much of a roasted and toasted character that I love in Dunkles. Not that it is bad at all, if it was a hefe this would be spot on.
M/D: Very creamy with a medium body. Velvety smooth on the tongue. So easy to drink and very sessionable.

A good Dunkle, but not my favorite of the style. This needs a more bold roasted flavor in my opinion. Still, very enjoyable and one I will not pass up very much when I see it.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - the beer pours a light brown colour with a massive fizzy/foamy off white head. There is a lot of carbonation showing. There is a fair amount of web like lacing on the glass, and the head sticks around for a long time.

Smell - The beer slight medicine type scent and some wheat and coriander. Also some caramel and some citrus peel zest.

Taste & Mouth - The beer has the perfect amount of carbonation. It starts off slightly sweet then the wheat taste comes in. I can also taste the caramel flavour and the malts. The beer has a nice finish with a perfect balance of sweet and sour

Drink - I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this is the best one that I have had so far.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

This poured with a real frothy head, with a good dark color. Not much of an aroma, but nothing displeasing either. This had a smooth flavor with medium body on the wheat, with a hint of malt to round out the taste. Overall this is a really good beer. A dark hefe, at least in the case of this beer seems to suit me more than a traditional hefe

3.75/5  rDev -12%

It poured a hazy brown, similar to ice tea.

The aroma reminded me of caramel and wheat/grain. Overall it was pleasant.

The taste was sort of similar to its aroma. It had a light caramel wheat, but with a pale twist. There was a dry paleness to it, but not bitter. I liked the level of hops and thought it helped to make this a very good well rounded beer.

This had a good drinkability. It went down rather quickly.

This beer was okay, but not outstanding. I would not mind drinking this again as it is worth revisiting. I thought it was a step up from Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

I found this beer at an International Beer festival in Hangzhou, China. This the most expensive bottle of beer I have ever purchased in China but as Weissbier Dunkels are one of my favorite styles I thought I would give it a shot, plus I though that with a brewing history of over 1000 years it should be something special. I must admit I was not convinced but I am willing to give it another shot if I find it somewhere else.

Appearance – Pours copper with significant head.

Smell – Barley and honey perhaps with hints of orange

Taste – Sweetness with possible light hints of banana, orange, brandy, and honey. Nothing in the flavor was truly memorable however. Mouthfeel was a lot lighter than I had expected

Drinkability – Average, the low ABV means you could imbibe quite a lot of these though nothing in the beer itself would have me coming back for more.

In my opinion, Erdinger is a superior Dunkel Weizen

3.75/5  rDev -12%

A: Copper hue, with a gigantic (and noisy) head.

S: Green banana and some vanilla.

T: A little sweet and bready up front, with alot of unripe banana poking through, providing a slightly sour finish.

M: A tad thinner than I had expected.

D: This would still make a very good session beer, especially during a weekend marathon of football games with friends.

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%

a: This was a muddy looking caramel color. It poured with a massive, rocky head that refused to dissipate.

s Banana, cloves, plus hints of caramel and cocoa. Very bready overall.

t: This wasn't quite as fresh tasting as I hoped it would be. Yeasty cloves and banans lightly dusted with cocoa.

m: Maybe an old bottle, this wasn't quite as full bodied does I hoped it would be.

o: A bit of a disappointment overall. I just don't think this bottle was very fresh. Still, this wasn't bad at all.

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

A: golden amber, with heavy carbonation and minimal cloudiness, with a very rich head that comes with the style. I would had preferred darker colors on my dark hefe, and a bit more cloudiness, but this is not bad at all
3.75/5

smell: the smell is dominated by cloves and phenol spice, as well as the familiar and rich smell of wheat malt.
4/5

taste: a very balanced, but minimilistic taste, that leans heavily on the clove side vs the banana and bubblegum flavors I much prefer. For the color, and the said "dark" hefewisen, their is not hint of darker, roastyer flavors. I jsut tastes like a more middle of the road hefewisen, and I cant say I'm very impressed .
3.25/5

mouthfeel: this is where the beer really shines. rich, creamy mouthfeel that is easy to drink and easy on the mouth, benefiting greatly from its heavy carbonation.
5/5

overall: to be honest, I was expecting more from this beer, as the reviews where high, and the brewery's reputation is VERY impressive, but really, it did not come off as the beer I was expecting, which was, a slight above average regular hefewisen with a amber color instead of a straw color.
3.75/5

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel is a cloudy brown beer with a fluffy off-white head. The aroma is of banana and clove and possibly nutmeg and vanilla. It is medium bodied, smooth and soft. The flavor is spicy: all of the elements from the aroma plus raisins, prunes and apples. It is bready and semi-dry. All of the flavor seems to be from the yeast. What a unique beer.
(rated Jun 26, 2008)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

After trying the regular Weihenstephaner Hefe I was a little let down. I wanted the dark to have a more roasted flavor. The carbonation was not as prevelant and the aroma was not near as pronounced.
The color is amber to orange/brown and the head is thick and white to orangish brown. The bubbles stay with the beer till the end.
This is like a light version of the regular Hefe cause it taste kinda watery. All in all, get the regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier cause it is 10 times better.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 16.09 oz. brown bottle. This beer came recommended by the owner of the beer craft sore. When I told him that I was not crazy about wheats he told me that since this was a drak wheat it would not be so sharp. WRONG!

I see where this is rated as a world class beer. I will try to keep the style in mind because the strong wheat, yeast characteristics are just not my style.

Beer pours great with a tan head that has good retention.

Smell: YEAST, along with some toasty malts. I always get gloves when I am having a wheat beet.
True to it's style.

Taste: I'm sure it is true to it's style but I just don't like it.
Mouthfeel:
Full bodied, malty.

Drinkablility: I'm sure the what lovers find it great but I just can't go over 3.5 (and for me that is generous.)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours with a towering, long lasting head. Medium-dark, hazy brown color. Slightly spicy aroma. Very mild esters and phenols. Soft, smooth, malty sweetness: very subtle beer. Medium body. Very nice.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan