Choco Maple Robusto - Calfkiller Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Calfkiller Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American Stout |  5.00% ABV

The Choco Maple Robusto is a Calfkiller style ale loosely based on the idea of a chocolate stout. Made with Chocolate malts, oats and fire brewed maple syrup from Wisconsin.

(Beer added by: sommersb on 10-30-2011)
4.25/5  rDev n/a

4.05/5  rDev n/a

Pours black with a 1-finger tan head. Retention and lace minimal.

Nose is a little faint which is really unfortunate, but gives the impression of a Robusto cigar with its heavily roasted character balanced against bright notes of dried cherries, raisins and maple.

Palate is rich and luxurious- just the right amount of roasted malt (bran-like with some sweet oat flavor) edged out slightly by a big, silky dark chocolate/maple sweetness. Bitterness is mild, while the malt gets chewy on the long, incredibly mouthwatering, and maple syrup flavored finish.

Quite nice. A nice and full body for something with 5% ABV, also refraining from being too syrupy, while the roasted malt was refined and earthy enough to justify the 'Robusto' in its name. This is the third brew I've had from these folks (the Brown Recluse and Dead Horsey Porter being the others) and I think of all the brewers in mid-TN, CalfKiller is the one to really keep your eye on.

3.6/5  rDev n/a

Bought a growler from Midtown in Nashville. This is my first Calfkiller brew and I have been looking forward to trying it.

A: Very dark brown. I wouldn't call it "black" like a lot of stouts. Thin tan head (probably as a result of being from the growler).

S: I wouldn't say that the nose is one that makes me go "wow" but is good nonetheless. Mainly I get faint aromas of dark chocolate and hints of the maple.

T: I do like the flavor profile of this a lot. Definite chocolate and malt presence. The maple gives this a kind of sweet "milk stout" quality to me honestly...which is good because I do enjoy milk stouts. Mild dark chocolate/hoppy aftertaste with a little bit of an oak quality. Really an enjoyable brew.

M: Very easy to drink at approximately 5% ABV. For a stout (as it is called) it is a little on the thin side but that is not necessarily a bad thing since I had to buy a whole growler of it to try it. Definitely sessionable and an easy drinker.

Overall, I do like this beer and I am impressed with my first taste of a Calfkiller brew. I look forward to trying more of their stuff. I would buy this again.

3.9/5  rDev n/a

Tasted On: 10-29-2011
Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Growler
Glassware: Nonic Pint
Purchased: Filled at Midtown, Nashville

A: Pours solid black; opaque with no light getting through the glass. The head is about a finger high and has good lacing.

S: Main aroma is of roasted malt, with some smoked notes. I also pick up chocolate and a slight maple aroma. Slightly sweet on the nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate, with a nice maple sweetness rounding it out. Also features some spice/wooden flavors. There's a bitterness from the roasted grain and bittersweet chocolate, but the balance is leaning towards the sweet side.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, an easy-drinking beer. The body and carbonation levels are medium. Finish is lightly sweet and leaves you with the toasted malt flavors.

O: In the cigar world, a robusto is a smaller cigar that features rich flavors. I think Calfkiller nailed that if that was the reference. This isn't an imperial beer, but features nice richness and flavorings. Well done!

Choco Maple Robusto from Calfkiller Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.