Russian Roulette - Omnipollo

Russian RouletteRussian Roulette

Omnipollo visit their website
Sweden

Shares the bottle design with Evil Twin Russian Roulette (  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4300/79196  ). You never know which one you get… Russian Roulette!

(Beer added by: bark on 03-08-2012)
Reviews by Digimaika2:
4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

(4.25) A: Semi-hazy light amber colour with a tall and very puffy head. Long lasting retention and very good lacing.

(4.25) S: Floral qualities, apricot, pear, herbal tea, dry grains, and spices. Quite aromatic with the strongest floral aroma I’ve experienced in a while.

(4.0) T: Tart citrus rinds, apricots, more herbal qualities than floral, pepper and other unknown spices, and a cracker-like backbone. Finishes with an incredibly dry mouthfeel and doesn’t lack bitterness yet surprisingly easy to drink with a well-rounded taste profile. Closest thing to drinking a box of crackers as you can get.

(4.0) M: Lighter-medium bodied with a higher carbonation. Semi-chalky texture with a robust oily character.

(4.0) D: Glad I picked this up as I was impressed. This is not a juicy-fruity IPA but it is a well put together grain forward IPA that is well worth a try.

Digimaika2, Jun 08, 2013

Ciocanelu, Apr 09, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a light to medium orange amber. Fine two finger white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Nice aroma of citrus hops, grapefruit and a hint of sweet malt. Flavor is dry piney and citrus hops, citrus juice and slight malt. Long, slightly astringent hop finish that is still enjoyable because of the somewhat complex flavors of the hops. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. I normally like strong malt support for my IPAs; this doesn't have it, but won me over with hop complexity. An interesting take on an IPA. My bottle came without any covering, so I knew right away it was the Omnipollo version. All bottles in the shipment were the same. Hope I can find the Evil Twin version. I like the the Russian Roulette idea, but frankly with what these Scandinavian beers cost as an import, I'm kind of glad I don't have to buy a lot to try both varieties (although if I saw another wrapped one, I'd take a chance, since this was pretty tasty).

LiquidAmber, Sep 04, 2012
3.91/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. Label says Best Before 2014.

A- Pours a semi-hazy medium amber color with a full inch of off-white head that retains very well displaying a big plateau of foam on its way down. I'm very confused since the BA description says it's an American Black Ale but the label says India Pale Ale and the color is nowhere near black...took me a while but I realized what the concept was: I got the Omnipollo version which settles to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of bubbly surface foam. Non-resilient lacing leaves a thick ring around the edge of the glass.

S- Very floral hops with notes of pine, citrus and a bit of yeast.

T- Bitterness is semi-harsh and displays grassy, metallic qualities that are one-dimensional. The hops just don't let up and assault the palate with alpha acids.

M- Oily and spritzy with high carbonation that stirs up the gut and makes one burp to no end. Also quite bitey from the hops. Medium body.

O- This is a very aggresive IPA and another perplexing brew from Evil Twin. I don't quite know what to make of it since it seems to be a cross between a heavily carbonated Belgian and an assertively hopped IPA...but it's not a Belgian IPA. Definitely smells better than it tastes.

Immortale25, Jul 31, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6%

mendvicdog, Sep 22, 2012

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 13, 2013

thatoneguymike, Sep 08, 2014

TomTom, Mar 21, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, orange citrus hops. In the taste, a dry citrus rind and some sweet hops. A small hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry orange citrus rind in the aftertaste. Dry, nice orange citrus and kind of similar to the Evil Twin version.

OWSLEY069, Jun 09, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Hazy gold, one finger frothy head, good lacing.

S - Mango, peach, grapefruit, orange, lemon peel, bitter hops.

T - Bitter hops, peach, nectarine, slightly resinous.

M- Medium-full bodied, rather smooth, moderate-low carbonation.

O - Cleverly suprised, very delicious!

Best by 2014.

Rickythejeweler, Sep 26, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +19%

analienacorn, Mar 20, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +6%

Yes, I am a complete dumbass that sat baffled for 10 minutes trying to figure out why my Russian Roulette was an obvious IPA, but all the reviews were for a black ale.

Pours apricot color in snifter. Thick chunky white head that you have to almost chisel through to get to the beer. Looks like cool-whip.

Smell is lemon zest, pine resin, and mild breadiness. Smells fantastic! Can smell the pine and lemon over a foot away from the glass.

Taste is bitter hops right from the start. Bitterness lingers long on the palate. Good bready meatiness too. Very delicious and drinkable.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth.

Overall this is a homerun. Glad I got the IPA and not the black ale. This one is definitely worth a try.

TrappistJohnMD, Nov 19, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -11%

The colour is pale gold, the liquid is a bit hazy. The two finger head is white; it sinks slowly leaving lots of lacing.

The smell is bright and hoppy with a grand bitterness. Some sweetness, lime, retsina and a touch of olive oil. It is very dry and bitter.

The taste is very bitter, but there are also flavours of retsina, pine needles, limes and lots of grape fruits. Some clean fruity sweetness. Medium body. The long aftertaste is bitter yet balanced with some grapefruit, lime, orange peels and some sweet old fashioned fruit candy. The finish is bitter with some tartness.

The carbonation is strong, the small bubbles smooth. The liquid is light and very dry.

An IPA that doesn't hold back when it comes to the American bitter hops. A bit too tart for me, though.

bark, May 04, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of each style of Russian Roulette for Father's Day. Both bottles were wrapped up so I didn't know which one I was opening tonight. When I saw the light colored liquid pour into my pint glass, I knew it was the IPA.

This IPA is a clear, golden liquid that has a slight tarnish to it. A large, white foam head rests on top, with plenty of tiny bubbles rising within the liquid. Good lacing is left behind.

The beer has a decent hop aroma. It is a very floral aroma, but it doesn't come across as too bitter. A mild sweetness lingers behind the hops.

The strong hop flavor is a lot stronger than the nose led me to expect. The flavor is very floral, like the aroma, but it is very bitter. And despite the strength of the hops, it is not oily. It is a fairly clean flavor. The malt profile is minimal; this isn't a balanced beer, it is all about the hops.

The beer has a lighter body than I thought it would have. Plenty of carbonation can be felt. Barely any coating is left behind, and there isn't any stickiness. For a 7% ABV beer, this has an impressive body.

I like this IPA. I like that a small brewery in Sweden can replicate the American West Coast style so well. I've been reading Steig Larsson's books this summer, and a hop bomb like this isn't what I pictured when Lisabeth Salander orders a beer at a bar. If Evil Twin's black IPA is anywhere as good as this beer, I'm in for a treat when I open my other bottle. This beer is recommended, but don't ruin the fun by looking through the bottle to see which style you get. Just pull the trigger and buy one (or do what I did, get one of each but keep them mixed up).

ToasterChef, Jun 22, 2012