Hoptimus Prime - Ruckus Brewing

Hoptimus PrimeHoptimus Prime

good

Ruckus Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: celticfutblclub on 04-14-2011)

Mikeg89, Jul 03, 2014

teenwolfmansbro, Jan 17, 2012

zc151, Nov 21, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +36.5%

The ability of the Hoptimus recipe to maintain the citrus while not loosing any of the bite from the hops is excellent. The aroma of the oranges is almost bluemoon-esque but once you take that first gulp bam, theres your DIPA. I enjoy it because it's manageable truthfully an IPA and a half but really excellent, with a half inch of cream colored head and a light nickel coloring this beer really is excellent I loved all 22 OZs of it, and i wasn't struggling feeling full at the end. I live in NYC and I came across it in NJ, I have since called the brewer of this beer Ruckus and it sounds like PA and NJ are as close as I can get to it.

PS the picture on the ruckus brewing site is exactly what my pour looked like, minus their logo of course. same color though same head.

NYUBeerGenius, Jun 12, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +32.7%

I wasn't expecting much from this beer. I thought it had a citchy name and I couldn't pass it up for only 5.99. It was rich with apple cidery grape fruit pineapple and piney hops. The malt back bone was just sweet enough to balance it but still give enough head room to the hops. I was crazy impressed by this beer. The only thing I can compare it to would be that it's kinda a kid brother to the 2 year aged 120 minute I had a while back.

Ohiovania, Sep 20, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

Ok my friend brought me some of this he knows the guys that bought legacy over, I have to admit i'm no master of beer but this was great. It looked pretty in the glass and smelled nice like oranges. The taste was great, my friend told me it was a double IPA which meant it was very hoppy which he described as a bite the beer would have, either way I enjoyed it. I have to be honest i've never even heard the term mouth feel but it didn't feel bad in my mouth as a drank it, it felt like a rich more flavor packed beer.

kellyz9, Jun 13, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

redliner8, Nov 22, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I ordered a bottle of this at a restaurant recently, lured to it by the funny name. It came in a frosty glass and had a lively golden orange color with a robust off-white head that left some nice lacing.The nose was pleasant with hints of citrus, pine and hops, (none of the boozy smell you get with some IPAs). The flavor was excellent, a blend of citrus malt and hops with a sweet fruity finish. The mouth feel was smooth and satisfying, turned out to be one of the better IPAs I've had.

LAMAGS, Sep 10, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

First of all I know we’re all connoisseurs of beer but what more can you ask for then a beer with its own super hero made out of hops? A buddy of mine brought a pint bottle over and poured ourselves a glass

Light amber in color lighter then other DIPAs I’ve had before but pleasing. Perfect amount of bitterness with a light orange citrus hop accent to it. The carbonation really opens up the taste buds. Goes down lighter then one might think, poured cold you simply cannot go wrong.

Buy one for your self and buy one for me.

edit, got another bottle when i was out in NC, i was pumped because i cant find it in NYC. Can some one do something about this?

any way i dont know weather it was the classic hard to get thing but this bottle tasted even better then the last. i really got a ton of aroma, citrus beautiful and it accompanied a burger this time. let me tell you that was a meal.

Ack9788, Jun 02, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

*Quick note/edit-I like to review beers without reading anything previously posted. After completing my review, I went back and checked out the other reviews and am completely thrown off by what I saw posted. This beer was fantastic. Wonderful citrus with hardly any pine bite IMO. The hops were there but they didn't kick your ass like Surly Abrasive. I agree that it's more like an IPA plus than a DIPA, but it was VERY impressive.*

Poured from a 22 oz bottle received in a recent trade.

This was an extra that I received and I'm glad I did as I never would have known this wonderful beer existed

A- looks great with a very foamy head which takes several minutes to recede.

S- Great aroma, hoppy goodness.

T- Wow. I never expected this. Little known beer from a brewer I have never heard about. This has a tremendous flavor. No pine taste with tons of citrus and a flavor I can't quite put my finger on.

M- good, a little better than average.

O- I'd gladly take more of this one. I wish they put a bottled date on the label but I'd still try it again and take the chance.

sendsilk, Jun 21, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Special thanks to Chris at the Fermentation Lounge for sharing this with me.

A: pours a beautiful copper color, topped with a rocky head with admirable retention, and boasts considerable haze.

S: bouquet is well presented, with notes of peach, grapefruit, and pine.

T: perfect balance between malt and hops, with caramel and toast melding with hoppy tropical fruit and resinous pine.

M: medium body, low carbonation, and a creamy texture.

O: a delicious beer well worth the search. One of the best iipas out there.

Avagadro, Jun 12, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A – Great off-white head settles into a nice cream, leaving a great lace along the way. Deep golden wheat / orange amber body.

S – Grapefruit and orange in equal parts. Hint of pine on the backend.

T – Soft and smooth with honey, pine and grapefruit pith. Outstanding hop flavor without an aggressive alpha-oil bitterness. Orange and toast finish.

M – Soft and well carbonated. Medium body. Semi-sweet finish with a pleasant lingering bitterness.

O – A great example of an DIPA that chooses to balance the added alcohol with hop flavor rather than straight IBUs.

vfgccp, Aug 01, 2011