Hoptimus Prime - Ruckus Brewing

Hoptimus PrimeHoptimus Prime

good

Ruckus Brewing visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: celticfutblclub on 04-14-2011)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
aubuc1

4.33/5  rDev +19%

22 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Pours orange with a nice white head and a steady stream of carbonation rising.

Smell is a nice orange citrus and pine. Classic.

Taste is surprisingly nice. Not as bitter as I expected. Sweet, but not too sweet. I really like this beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this beer is really balanced for the style. Very hoppy, strong, but not too cloying. I wish this were available locally.

07-08-2011 21:26:56 | More by aubuc1
IPAnderson

4.15/5  rDev +14%

This beer is exceptional in many ways. I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned its Belgian Ale qualities. It has the sweet tropical fruit smell and flavor, along with bubblegum, which I've never tasted in a beer that doesn't use Belgian yeast. I really enjoy the hop flavors: it's an explosion of light, smooth fruitiness without the tongue-numbing Pine-Sol experience of so many DIPA's. It's gotten pretty warm and the bitterness has become much more apparent, but I'm still going back for more sips after each sentence I write. My main complaint is the low head retention, but the scorching heat in my room today may have affected that. Super deal for $6.74.

07-07-2011 02:10:23 | More by IPAnderson
sendsilk

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

*Quick note/edit-I like to review beers without reading anything previously posted. After completing my review, I went back and checked out the other reviews and am completely thrown off by what I saw posted. This beer was fantastic. Wonderful citrus with hardly any pine bite IMO. The hops were there but they didn't kick your ass like Surly Abrasive. I agree that it's more like an IPA plus than a DIPA, but it was VERY impressive.*

Poured from a 22 oz bottle received in a recent trade.

This was an extra that I received and I'm glad I did as I never would have known this wonderful beer existed

A- looks great with a very foamy head which takes several minutes to recede.

S- Great aroma, hoppy goodness.

T- Wow. I never expected this. Little known beer from a brewer I have never heard about. This has a tremendous flavor. No pine taste with tons of citrus and a flavor I can't quite put my finger on.

M- good, a little better than average.

O- I'd gladly take more of this one. I wish they put a bottled date on the label but I'd still try it again and take the chance.

06-21-2011 04:22:35 | More by sendsilk
bigfnjoe

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a lovely dark orange/light amber with a two finger, thick offwhite head. The lacing is impeccable: all the way around the glass without a break.

S- getting that cat piss from some simcoe...some pine coming through as well. I'd like it a little more citrusy

T- very piney. Finish is a little sweet. Eh

M- very thick body, bordering on syrupy. Not the biggest fan

O- it's not bad, especially from a newer brewery, but I've had better.

06-16-2011 21:03:40 | More by bigfnjoe
kellyz9

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

Ok my friend brought me some of this he knows the guys that bought legacy over, I have to admit i'm no master of beer but this was great. It looked pretty in the glass and smelled nice like oranges. The taste was great, my friend told me it was a double IPA which meant it was very hoppy which he described as a bite the beer would have, either way I enjoyed it. I have to be honest i've never even heard the term mouth feel but it didn't feel bad in my mouth as a drank it, it felt like a rich more flavor packed beer.

06-13-2011 16:51:33 | More by kellyz9
NYUBeerGenius

4.97/5  rDev +36.5%

The ability of the Hoptimus recipe to maintain the citrus while not loosing any of the bite from the hops is excellent. The aroma of the oranges is almost bluemoon-esque but once you take that first gulp bam, theres your DIPA. I enjoy it because it's manageable truthfully an IPA and a half but really excellent, with a half inch of cream colored head and a light nickel coloring this beer really is excellent I loved all 22 OZs of it, and i wasn't struggling feeling full at the end. I live in NYC and I came across it in NJ, I have since called the brewer of this beer Ruckus and it sounds like PA and NJ are as close as I can get to it.

PS the picture on the ruckus brewing site is exactly what my pour looked like, minus their logo of course. same color though same head.

06-12-2011 22:34:41 | More by NYUBeerGenius
Avagadro

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Special thanks to Chris at the Fermentation Lounge for sharing this with me.

A: pours a beautiful copper color, topped with a rocky head with admirable retention, and boasts considerable haze.

S: bouquet is well presented, with notes of peach, grapefruit, and pine.

T: perfect balance between malt and hops, with caramel and toast melding with hoppy tropical fruit and resinous pine.

M: medium body, low carbonation, and a creamy texture.

O: a delicious beer well worth the search. One of the best iipas out there.

06-12-2011 21:45:26 | More by Avagadro
brstls4drmrs

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours a brasslike, copper color with a creamy foam head. Very good lacing occurs which encompasses the ring of the glass nicely.

S - Some bold citrus scents with hints of pine. Some nice herbal notes with earthy aroma and faint smells of sugar. Just a bunch of these different items with no one characteristic that is overpowering.

T - A pine citrus bomb with not much sugar taste as I've had in other Imp IPAs. Alcohol is disguised very well.

M - Crisp with some nice carbonation and pine aftertaste.

O - Not a bad imperial. The alcohol sneaks up on you because the taste is not overpowering.

06-12-2011 02:30:58 | More by brstls4drmrs
NEhophead

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 fl oz brown bottle, served in a tulip.

Faded tea with brass highlights; noticeably active carbonation. Creamy, white foam with rather sturdy retention.Thin and spotted lacing with good strength.

Bold, sharp pine aroma with a licorice and rosemary-filled herb profile. Resin-laden peach and tropical fruit. Medicinal notes add an earthen quality to the sweet fruit.

Vanilla-driven, moderately sweet fruity esters: peach and honeydew. The hop character is young and biting; although it doesn't quite balance the malt sweetness it is just as bold. The alcohol character is as assertive as the rest of the flavor profiles; reminiscent of rum.

Full bodied; aggressive on the palate, primarily rough on account of the pine-forward hop character; however, slick and oily in spots as well.

A bulky Double IPA that is just too rough around the edges in aroma, taste, and texture.

06-12-2011 01:23:03 | More by NEhophead
mwbecker

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

This is a solid flavor hop. But even has some citrus tones.No after bite. Has a smooth finish. My friends loved it to wash down lots of read meat at a recent BBQ. Couldn't keep the bottles cold fast enough for my discerning beer drinking friends. Not known in these parts( NC) it is becoming a hit with the locals. I hear it will be distributed in these here parts soon.

06-07-2011 18:48:49 | More by mwbecker
Ack9788

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

First of all I know we’re all connoisseurs of beer but what more can you ask for then a beer with its own super hero made out of hops? A buddy of mine brought a pint bottle over and poured ourselves a glass

Light amber in color lighter then other DIPAs I’ve had before but pleasing. Perfect amount of bitterness with a light orange citrus hop accent to it. The carbonation really opens up the taste buds. Goes down lighter then one might think, poured cold you simply cannot go wrong.

Buy one for your self and buy one for me.

edit, got another bottle when i was out in NC, i was pumped because i cant find it in NYC. Can some one do something about this?

any way i dont know weather it was the classic hard to get thing but this bottle tasted even better then the last. i really got a ton of aroma, citrus beautiful and it accompanied a burger this time. let me tell you that was a meal.

06-02-2011 16:17:02 | More by Ack9788
ShanePB

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

22 ounce bomber shared with me by Nick - thanks dude!

A: Light copper colored body, no haze, fluffy white head that dissipated rather quickly but did leave some great retention. Lacing was OK, nothing special.

S: Big citrus elements here - orange, pineapple, white grapefruit and some mango. Noticeable bitter notes from the hops that are gracefully done. I don't get much, if any, of a pine character that I would normally associated with an IIPA coming out of this area but some floral aromas do eventually come through.

T: Wow, this is seriously fantastic. HUGE juicy citrus qualities coat the entire palate - orange and lemon - followed up by a really mellow and balanced hop bite. It's definitely more floral and citrusy, without having a brash pine/earthy bite. It's sweeter than I expected and not as dry in the finish as you might expect an IIPA to be. Typical West Coast profile here, really well done.

M: Pretty bubbly, not bad, could use a more fuller mouth feel but it's pretty creamy and easy drinking.

I'm shocked by some of the reviews here, as my experience mimicked nothing like some others are talking about. This is a really recent bottle, so either there was a change in the recipe or some bottles may be outdated/off in some way. A true diamond in the ruff, a beer I'd probably overlook easily but this is some seriously delicious stuff right here.

05-26-2011 20:12:59 | More by ShanePB
TheGordianKnot

2.23/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured into my Imperial Pint Glass

A- Poured light orange with a 3 finger very foamy off white head. Fairly clear. Leaves pretty good lacing...

S- I get a little bit of citrus with some woodiness and pine to add a little complexity. There is a hidden caramel sweetness behind the hops, but nothing is very prominent. Overall pretty light aroma- I want more in my DIPAs

T/M- Damn, just like the nose there is a little of a bunch of things, but not enough overall. The first thing is just a very small amount of orange, even less than the citrus nose would bring you to expect. The bitterness is very conservative; much too conservative. Slight earthy undertones that are overpowered by lingering alcohol heat. I don't mind a tiny bit of warmth in my DIPAs, but that is the majority of this beer and it really sets on the tongue for awhile. Dang, I really wish there was more to this. The body is medium but leaning on the light side for a DIPA and has fairly moderate carbonation.

O- I had heard such good things about this beer, but I was not impressed at all. All the components of a good DIPA were not there. I wanted a more in your face hopped up beer or something more of anything (except the alcohol)... It had the bitterness of an East Coast IPA but the alcohol of a DIPA so it just didn't mesh well for me. Though this is fairly cheap, I don't think I will be getting again- well, perhaps next year I will try this if I can get a bottle as fresh as possible and try it right away...

05-25-2011 15:18:30 | More by TheGordianKnot
gdrydenc

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Pours a medium amber, with minimum amounts of light white head. Pretty decent looking, but a bit pale for a DIPA.

S - A pretty hoppy aroma, but mostly pine, not much fruitiness. Pretty pungent odor, but it's a bit muted.

T - First off, this tastes more like an even mix of a barleywine and a DIPA. It really doesn't work for a beer named Hoptimus Prime. I would expect a hop bomb. The pine comes out a bit in the taste, but not nearly enough. It's mostly an awkward bitterness that comes out in the finish.

M - Fairly standard mouthfeel. Less viscous than I would expect with a 9% ABV. It isn't creamy and that really loses it some points for me.

Overall, this is a pretty disappointing beer. The flavors are too intense in the wrong places and lacking in the places I want it. I wouldn't buy this beer again.

05-24-2011 01:52:45 | More by gdrydenc
kaips1

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

22oz bottle into a Sam A. perfect pint

a- its an ok dark goldish, with amberish hues near the head, poured a nice thick white 2 finger head
s-its almost 50/50 between some citrus and some pine, not strong but its there
t-not exactly what i was expecting, it didnt have the same as the nose and a bit astringent in the middle with little to no finish, i wanted much more bitter in the front
m-not that lively, really wet through out the whole sip, didnt leave that dry, i want this again and again finish, you almost expect out of dipa's
o/d- overall its ok at best, with a name like hoptimus prime i was expecting an unsung hopslam or ruination, drinkablity its an easy drinker but i doubt ill buy it again

05-23-2011 23:58:05 | More by kaips1
evilkalla

Alabama

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

Serving: Bomber into an ale glass.

A: Delightfully clear pale copper, with a quarter inch of quickly receding head. The clarity of this beer is amazing.

S: The hops on this one are more flowery than they are piney or resinous. Has a sort of sweet, honeysuckle quality to it. Very nice.

T: Malt is immediate up front, with a slight bitterness in the background, but none of the hop-bomb bitterness I expected, somewhat more smooth. Finishes with a somewhat muted bitterness on the tongue, while remaining malty and sweet. An interesting beer.

M: Has a thick feel in the mouth. Sort of sticks to it.

O: A pretty decent IPA, although it's definitely not in the bitter-bomb category if that's what you're after.

05-22-2011 23:57:02 | More by evilkalla
TheFightfan1

4.15/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a tulip. A nice copper color with a beautiful thick white heading. Leaves tremendous lacing and a nice bubbling action freeflowing from the bottom up. A stunning sight in which this beer cries drink me.

Smell is kind of even keel. Crisp malty backbone with a twinge of fruity hops. Subtle grassy notes.

Taste is exquisite. Perfect balance of thicker malts and a great hoppy bite. Subtle linger in the mouth from bittering hops. Tremendous fresh tasting IPA.

Mouth is fuller bodied and really pushing that 9% ABV with a thicker,syrupy chew but in no way difficult to enjoy. Tremendous carbonation in the mouth.

Well this one surprised the hell out of me and I will look forward to having some more of these.

05-12-2011 21:06:41 | More by TheFightfan1
n2185

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a clear, honey orange with two fingers of white head that recedes into a thin ring with a little lacing.

S: Touches of caramel malt and sweet oranges and apricots up front followed by lots of grassy, piny hops with some grapefruit notes.

T: Sweet orange citrus up front followed by some grapefruit rind and resiny pine bitterness. The finish has a nice piny aftertaste with a bit of bitterness, though it doesn't linger.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer has a fairly dry and crisp quality to it as well.

O: Overall, a good DIPA. Nothing that blows my socks off, but I've paid more for worse examples of the style. It does a good job of balancing the piny bitterness with the citrusy flavors so that it's neither too sweet nor too bitter.

05-10-2011 01:57:39 | More by n2185
generalnotsew

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

First off I was confused by the bottle. Apparently Ruckus brewing is the same as Legacy. The fact that the labels are identical except for the brewer tipped me off. Anyways.

Juicy fat 2 finger off white head on the pour. Body is a nice shade of amber but just a touch too lite for a DIPA. Smell is a nice strong sour citrusy with a touch of a belgian smell? Not a lot of bitterness in the nose and the sourness could be toned down a bit. Taste is very, very sweet and very caramel like. A tad bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. No tropical or fruity notes. It really does not taste like a DIPA at all to be honest. I have score it down for being NOT like a DIPA. This honestly could use a bit more carbonation. I hardly ever notice a beer that could use more. It just has this weird syrupy but thin feel. Hard to explain.

Note: Upon revisiting I realize this beer is just plain bad. I sometimes feel bad about knocking down the little guys but hey. Honest is honest. Quite possibly the strangest tasting IPA I ever had and not in a good way.

05-08-2011 04:58:13 | More by generalnotsew
TheWhiskerReview

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a brilliant golden-orange with a dense off-white head leaving thick sexy lace.

Nose is beautiful with a lovely orange pith/peel character, almost pure orange essence, joined by nice floral hops, some orange blossom honey, and a very faint hint of that cheesy-pungency I get in highly hopped beers. Everything is well balanced.

The palate sees a mild malt bowled over by more of that floral, orangey hop character. The bitterness lingers on the dry and slightly tart finish.

Very impressive nose followed by a solid delivery. I would buy this again, and again...

05-03-2011 17:48:49 | More by TheWhiskerReview
Reagan1984

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Well, Well, Well we finally meet. I’ve purchased this beer at least 3 or 4 times and never wound up drinking the bottle. Abecall98 from Cali loves this beer and often asks for a bottle in our trades. I am always happy to accommodate and send one along. Of course, this came straight out of my fridge several times. This was mostly with the Legacy brand… so I’ll have to get him a bottle of the Ruckus. Sadly I can’t provide a comment comparing the two. But I think it’s nice.

Pours with a thin finger of white head. The beer is a very bright and clear copper color. There is some carbonation escaping to the surface. Light soapy lacing.

Aroma is nice with citrus and toasted malt notes. The nose reminds me a bit of Two Hearted. A little grassy as well.

Well I can see why Abel like this beer. Right on the edge between an IPA and DPA with the flavor. There is a hint of the ABV. There is a nice toasted malt backbone with some bready notes and a slight sweetness. The hops are juicy and burst in your mouth… Citrus, with green notes.

Medium bodied with a hint of stickiness. Certainly juicy….

At the posting of this review I see there are only three reviews of this brand by this brewer. I am baffled by the ratings. I am not saying this is Pliny or anything, but there is no way this is a “B” on BA as far as ratings. Try this beer.

(one references Belgian/banana flavors??.... um no)

04-29-2011 01:19:22 | More by Reagan1984
spree92

New Brunswick (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Notes taken on 4/16/11.

Poured a yellow/orange color with about half inch head on top. Plenty of carbonation is evident. What a great mode here. Hops all day, floral, grapefruit, and fresh grass are so strong. The high abv comes through a bit in the end. After the smell, I was expecting a big taste, and was a little let down. The smell transferred over, but more as an IPA. Must have been some malts to balance it out a bit. A filling, medium body beer with a dry finish. I thought this was a really good beer and would buy again if I saw it. The price was right.

04-18-2011 20:20:19 | More by spree92
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

Hoptimus Prime: Reviewed 4/11/11

22oz bottle, looks to have been bottled March '11, poured into a Duvel glass

A: Pours hazy golden copper, 2 finger frothy white head that slowly dissipates. Good lacing

S: Grapefruit with almost a banana spiciness, some citrus, floral/grassy notes, wet hay. Not at all what I expect, almost like a little belgian yeast thrown in.

T: Yeah, I get lots of that banana/belgian taste right up front with the citrus behind it. Floral first profile with the citrus (mainly grapefruit) take a backseat. There's just a little bitterness, not much. Finish is yeasty and malty, but very light flavored with a little citrus, spice, and wet hay. This seems very much like a Belgian style IPA.

M: Medium to high carbonation, light mouthfeel with just a little creaminess. Not much resin to speak of. Finish is a little boozy.

O: I was very disappointed with this, though not surprised. I hoped that the new brewery would do this justice, but this just doesn't seem anything like the Hoptimus Prime I've heard about.

04-17-2011 23:09:12 | More by Satchboogie
celticfutblclub

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - a nice sunset orange with a good foamy head with solid retention. some lacing. doesn't seem to be much carbonation in the appearance.

S - grapefruit, melon, hops and a bit of citrus in there as well. really great nose on this beer.

T - a big dry hoppiness that in my opinion seems to overshadow the other tastes of citrus and grapefruit. grapefruit more pronounced in the end to give a nice finish.

M - thankfully there is good carbonation in the mouthfeel. not overbearing and not as light as i thought from the appearance. as mentioned before dry hop feel to this one

O - this is a tasty brew overall and the nose on it is just superb.

04-14-2011 01:04:10 | More by celticfutblclub