Penn Quarter Porter - DC Brau Brewing Co.

Penn Quarter PorterPenn Quarter Porter

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Penn Quarter Porter is our first in a line of draft-only limited-release beer, and it's a robust porter! In the way that The Public is on the line between a pale ale and an IPA, this is on the line between a porter and a stout - with chocolate notes and a dry, roasted finish.

(Beer added by: starrdogg on 05-12-2011)

dheacck11, Feb 06, 2014

lic217, Feb 03, 2014

BullBearHawk, Jan 31, 2014
4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark brown, light brown head, about one finger.
Smell: Dark cherry, woody
Taste: woody, cherry, bitter chocolate
Mouthfeel: heavy bodied, but not syrupy
Overall: Great winter beer. This is a porter I'll return to, preferably with a peppercorn steak.

CDAtkinson, Jan 29, 2014

JJOVa, Jan 15, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

JeffTheJuice, Jan 14, 2014
4.29/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz can poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Jet black with 2 fingers of creamy tan head. Excellent retention.

Nose
Dark roast coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and caramel.

Taste
Dark roast coffee and semi-sweet chocolate. Caramel, brown sugar and cocoa nib. Touches of raisin and date.

Mouthfeel
Full bodied, creamy, silky and smooth.

Overall
A flavorful, easy drinking Porter that's quite sessionable at only 5.5%.

justintcoons, Jan 13, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Poured from can into a tulip. Pours a beautiful thick black with a chewy-looking, light tan two finger head. Decent retention, nice lacing.

Aroma: Mild chocolate notes, coffee grounds, roast malt notes.

Taste: Roast malt is more prevalent, followed by smooth and subtle chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, smooth, light carbonation. Excellent.

Overall: Very nice, easy drinking porter. Not amazingly complex, but nicely balanced and well-executed.

jhawth, Jan 09, 2014

VinoGuy, Jan 04, 2014
3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

I am becoming jaded in my travels as it now bothers me when I CANnot score singles and am forced into sixers (or more). Such was the case (but not a whole case) for The CANQuest (TM) at Magruder's in DC during my recent visit to my aunt and uncle. I saw a sixer on the shelf and a) knowing their no-breaking-of-sixers policy as well as my own CAN-in-the-hand policy, I pulled the trigger. Shortly thereafter, I was at Connecticut Avenue Liquors and they had several singles in their cooler! Grrr. CAN you say "Trade bait"?

From the CAN: "Limited-Release Robust Porter"; "Serve in a Tulip, Goblet or enjoy from the CAN"; "Please Recycle - Pack In, Pack Out"; "Penn Quarter Facts [:] Penn Quarter is most famous for Ford's Theatre, where President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, and his coat and hat CAN still be seen to this day."

I have been to Penn Quarter many times, but to Ford's Theatre only once, back when I was a pre-teen, to see a play with my grandmother and uncle. Ford's Theatre now strikes me as too touristy and I just pass it by on my way to the E Street Cinema, where I CAN have a beer from their snack bar to go with my popcorn as I watch films that will never come to the screens of Lancaster, PA. That's my $ .02.

I got a bit of a spritz across my fingertips on the Crack!, but nothing suggested that I should not CANduct an inverted Glug, especially since I had a shaker glass at the ready. They are optimal vessels for deCANting a beer and so I proceeded. The darkness of the foam allowed me to see a pseudo-cascading action as it transitioned from foam to beer. The end result was two dense fingers of deep-tan head with fantastic retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was at once smoky and chocolaty, reminding me once more of my late-Pops' favorite - a Hershey's Special Dark bar. I eschewed them as a kid, but today, I get it. Bittersweet is much better than outright sweet, The head was slowly falling as I typed, leaving behind some great lacing, so it was time for my first draught. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching, but not quite achieving, creaminess. The taste was much like the nose - smoky and chocolaty, but I felt like something was missing. Do not misunderstand me. This was a fine porter, but knowing that the style takes so well to barrel aging and/or the addition of adjuncts, it felt like a blank slate waiting to be written upon. I have had one of the one-off versions of this before so I know from whence I speak. Finish was dry with a charcoal flavor that kind of lingered well past the swallow. How did that little bird get in here, anyway? Sorry, I CANnot resist. I know precisely which beer I want to review next as a result of this one! Thanks for the inspiration.

woodychandler, Jan 04, 2014

oriolesfan4, Dec 30, 2013

vande, Dec 22, 2013

josh32219, Dec 19, 2013

kristougher, Dec 06, 2013

hellhammermario, Dec 06, 2013
Penn Quarter Porter from DC Brau Brewing Co.