The Corruption - DC Brau Brewing Co.

The CorruptionThe Corruption

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Beer added by: akorsak on 05-21-2011

The Corruption™ IPA is DC Brau's take on a Pacific Northwest IPA. Brewed with Pale 2 row, C-10, Honey and Victory malts. Exclusively hopped with 40 lbs of Columbus hops per brew to ring in at 80 IBU. "The Corruption" comes in at 6.5% ABV. This beer straddle's the line between IPA and Imperial IPA and has a supportive malty backbone with an assertive hop presence that smacks your mouth with a dank, resinous bitterness followed by pleasant aroma's of pine sap and burnt spruce.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Corruption Alström Bros
Reviews: 179 | Hads: 1,100
4.26/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber with trailing film of taupe froth that laces impressively. 4
Big fresh orange blossom and pine needle nose - classic C-hop. 4.25
Apricot jam and breadstick up front, then powdery orange, dried pineapple, and dried basil hops that show some white pine, too. 4.25
Dried tangerine zest finish and dry but herbal linger.
Crisp, slight cling, lt-med. 4

Incredible nuance to the hops: Cascade-style perfumed floral-citrus, some Lagunitas pineapple, decent aspirin bitterness at 80 IBUs that dries things out without being abusive, and a hint of oily herbal essence, too. Like other DC Brau, shows what you can do keeping it old school; exclusively Columbus in this case. A thread of caramel anchors it on the east coast. Claims to be between an IPA and a DIPA, like Torpedo, and like that beer, exceeds its expectations/boundaries - better than Wings, in that way. Bright, fragrant, (7 weeks out from canning) and so very drinkable. 4.5

Talking to a local and seeing the average showing here, also hugely underrated.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into snifter

A: very slight haze nice amber color very little head

S: Very earthy piney hops almost a little pepper

T: lots of that very earthy hop taste with some malt on the end to erase bitterness very floral and herbal

M: not bad medium to lighter almost seems a little watery

O: This isn't bad I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again very reminiscent of The Bissell Brothers The Substance. I would definitely drink it again if I came across it though it's refreshing.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked this one up on a trade. I would like to try the big boy from this brewery sometime. Cheers man for sending this one my way!

Appearance: Nice hazy copper color. Decent amount of white head that dissipates to a lingering layer of lacing.

Aroma: Some floral hops, not very pungent but present. Malts are not too strong either. It is a very floral forward beer with a mild amount of citrus and tropical fruit notes.

Taste: Clean and crisp are the first two things I would say about this beer. Not a huge amount of flavor. It tastes like a light IPA. Not a bad thing if that is what they were going for. I could definitely see myself tossing back a few of these on a hot day! Its very accessible and I can give it points for that. This would be a good gateway IPA for those IPA haters you know!

Overall: Solid beer. A little bit watered down but not bad really. I enjoyed it and I would like to try others from this brewery!

3.33/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep amber orange with a decent dense foam yellowish head. Moderate carbonation. Nice aroma of sugary grapefruit and resinous pine with mild malty background. Bitter in the mouth, the taste is a combination of syrupy malt and pine resin that isn't the best blend but ok. Somewhat of a hop-smack (80 IBUs) but the malt keeps it in check. Not enough hop flavors, just the bitter notes.

12oz Can to Pint Glass

Appearance: Rich/Deep Copper. Light tan head that pours two fingers thick.

Smell: Rich sweet malts, followed by strong columbus hop wollop. Complex, almost leans toward the imperial side.

Taste: Grassy, and piney from the generous hops and IBU's. Nice bit of carbonation. Fairly bitter at 80 IBU's and has a healthy hop bite. I thought the malts were nice and sweet on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated/effervescent.

Overall: Pretty tasty, all in all. IMO it leans toward the imperial side but has the ABV of a traditional AIPA. Would recommend to any of you IPA drinkers out there who like the west coast style.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from the can into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: deep orange/rust color. A bulbous head with very intricate lacing on this unfiltered ale.

Smell: delicious! Big citrus, fresh Christmas tree, and a touch of sweet biscuits.

Taste: A new favorite? A perfect balance of big, earthy hops and robust malt.

Mouthfeel: Syrup... there is so much going on in that can, it simply envelops your cake hole. Don't plan on drinking anything AFTER this one.

Overall: I love this beer! I waited forever to try it, but now that I have I make sure I always have it in the house. Yes, it's that good!

Thanks DC Brau!

I had this on tap at DCA, my first offering from these guys. The color...is prototypical IPA golden-orange. Excellent lacing. The flavor was ok...not as much citrus as is usually like. Better than average IPA.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

355ml Can as a gift brought back from Virignia, USA:
Hazy orange/amber with a 0.5cm foamy, white head that holds well initially with little movement before eventually turning patchy.

Medium strength hops & bitterness consisting mainly of pine & cedar with some sweetness & lighter malts too, giving the beer a nice balance. Some citrus & juicy fruits start to come through towards the end but the aroma could have been a little stronger.

Pine & citrus hops with quite a bitter taste but there is also floral flavours. The sweetness isn't as strong but thankfully the taste was more pronounced with some caramel/sweet malts & grapefruit. Quite nice but I was expecting a more hop filled taste that.

Smooth with a medium body & good carbonation, naturally quite bitter but it's not too strong with a dry finish & a crisp, sharp bite as well.

My 2nd DC Brau & it's another good one. I'd been told this offering was quite disappointed but I found it nice & easy to drink, the nose could have been a bit stronger but it was still and good beer & would probably be one I'd go back to now and again if it were readily available in the UK.

Picked up a six pack at Wegman's in Downingtown.

This one has a pretty decent shot of bitterness and pine. It has a pretty good body that offsets all that bitterness to a degree but it still lingers long after the last gulp is down the throat. There's also some syrupy malt that lingers on the back of the tongue after the bitterness has faded but I don't really know if that's the beer or that I got it at a supermarket. All told, it was ok but I wouldn't reach over something like Overgrown to grab this again.

Thanks to sulli520 for this. Canned Sept. 23, 2014.

A good mix of cedar & pine in the flavor; bitterness is low lying but always creeping around. Starts with a bang before tapering off some and is very dry. Overall a nice IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 12 FL OZ can into a pint glass. DOB 07/24/2014.

Appearance: Pours a hazy cloudy orange body with a thinner off white head.

Smell: Slightly sweet and biscuity malt aroma topped off with a burst of floral citrus hops. Very nice!

Taste: Again, nice bright burst of citrusy hops! Just enough malt body to keep this from being overly thin or watery but not too much to make this taste too syrupy or malty.

Mouthfeel: Nice and light with crisp carbonation. Coats the mouth, but does not bog it down.

Overall: A damn near perfectly constructed IPA in my opinion. I think the 6.0-7.0% ABV is just right for an IPA (this one clocks in at an even 6.5% ABV.) Anything less usually comes off as "hop water" to me, while anything more sometimes becomes too much of a boozy, syrupy mess. The Corruption has the right amount of bright, citrusy hops to keep this flavorful, but not overly bitter. I really like and recommend this one - too bad I haven't seen it for less than $13-$14 a six pack.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Simple review, on tap:

Nice clear orange-golden pour with nice sustaining head and lacing.
Smell of Citra mostly, with a pine presence
West Coast style, the malt flavor touches the front of the tongue and is whisked roughly away by the pine/grass landslide that covers the back of the tongue.
The beer could use a little more balance, for me, and feels just a tad thin. However, if you like the west coast hop bombs, try a fresh one of these and see what you think.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - rich copper color, two finger width foamy head, great retention as well. just what an IPA should look like.

Smell - quite mellow, but I find some hints of citrus hops at the end

Taste - you get a lot more citrus hops than you smell from this one. nice malt build at the end for a nice finish

Mouthfeel - the maltiness from the end lingers in your mouth for quite a bit, but I enjoyed it

Overall - glad I got to try this one from a trade.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: slightly hazy; burnt orange; 1 finger off white head that receded slowly to a wispy cap; very nice, long lasting lacing;

S: dank piney hops; a little earthy; a little floral;

T: caramel with floral up front; malt sweetness added in a mid-palate; finish is earthy and floral with moderate bitterness;

M: medium bodied; ample carbonation;

O; interesting; well made; glad I tried it, but not my style of IPA;

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with no dating on it from what I can tell into a DC Brau can glass.

Pours a rocky seafoam looking head that lasted the entire glass on top of medium amber hued body. Very nice looking IPA.

Huge pine notes dancing around some herbal smell I can't put my finger on. Not my favorite smelling IPA, hoping the taste picks something a bit nicer.

Taste is just about the same. Bitter outweighing the pretty sizable malt backbone on this which is a feat. Can't say I'm surprised after reading the description of this beer from the brewer, I really don't love Columbus hops as the primary hop variety. Meh.

Can't say I'd seek this out again, it's a mediocre IPA in a beer world with 100 better IPAs sitting on shelves.

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

can-date: 4/7/14. pours a lovely golden copper hue with foamy off white head. a good lookin beer

nose: caramel candy, lavender, faint tropical fruitiness, traces of fresh pine

taste: sweet caramel malt and fruity hops with tangerine, guava, candied sugar, touch of floral/lavender? and lemon. decent bitterness turns quickly smooth and sweet on finish with lingering fruity notes and some pine spice

feel- smooth, sweet, juicy, fragrant

great beer! took this backpacking and it was a real treat. great profile, not super bitter but a nice drinker

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: A very cloudy orange amber copper color. It yielded a nice one finger head with a moderately aggressive pour. Head was ecru with an ever so slight green tint. Left a nice lace.

S: Wierd. That's all I can say. Almost like seafoam or sandy. The hops that where there smelled faintly of pine and there was a light citrus smell. Not a robust aroma and somewhat weak.

T: Fairly good. Not top tier but not bad overall. Very easy to drink, pleasant but a little too much of a bitter aftertaste and a lack of strong hops. A good IPA I sip. This one I was taking larger sips.

M: Not very thick. Fairly easy to swallow. A little watery but pleasant nonetheless.

O: I was excited to try Corruption and it's been somewhat hard to find. I bought a single at a beer store. I won't say I was let down as my expectations for a DC beer weren't too high. I was pleased but not overwhelmed. This is a solid IPA, a good one, with some flaws. It could be better if not for a few niggling issues. I would purchase again, but not go out of my way. Would make a good go to, and maybe even a session. It's an easy to drink IPA. Better IPAs take me a while to drink. This one took me half the time. If I was at a party, I could see me drinking a six of this.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a clear copper with over a finger fluffy head that lingered for some time and left decent lace behind. The nose is delightfully hoppy. The flavor profile is well balanced with hearty malt and bitter hops blending together very well. The finish has a lingering hop bitterness that is reasonably potent for a single IPA.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can
A) Pours with a two finger head, tight, creamy, slightly off-white in color. Slightly hazy body copper in color. Sticky lacing one the drink down.
S) Piney. Flowery citrus.
T) Earthy, pungent hop bite from the beginning. The malt mix in subtly. Hints of caramel. Slight touches of black peppers.
M) Medium-light body. Slightly dry finish. Mellow hop tannins.
O) A delicious IPA. I will be drinking another one.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Info on the can notes it's called "The Corruption" after the notorious alleged 1824 backroom deal between John Quincy Adams and Henry Clay in which Clay gave Adams his electoral votes so Adams could win the Presidency and forestall the election of Andrew Jackson. When Clay was subsequently appointed Secretary of State by Adams, many people thought it was in return for the "gift" of votes from Clay, and that it had all been planned in advance by the two. Belief in "The Corrupt Bargain" was a big reason that Jackson beat Adams in 1828. Most historians however seem to think Clay was a natural choice for Secretary of State because of his foreign policy experience, and that Clay despised fellow frontier politician Jackson. In any event there is no proof that the Corrupt Bargain was actually made. But the can historian does not mention that.

Canned 3/19/14, so still pretty fresh. Bought in Connecticut a week or so ago, we don't get DC Brau in Mass.

Poured from the 12 oz,. can into a Lawson's snifter

a; Deep clear amber with a great finger thick offwhite head which receded to thin even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Pretty intense citrus,.

t; Medium piney hop bite over a solid medium/caramel malt base.

m: Medium with nice body,.

o: Tasty and enjoyable! Rather dark and malty for an IPA, more reminiscent of a good English Bitter, but more bitter than most of those, making it a good American style English Bitter. Cut not that much below the more expensive Green Flash Palate Wrecker DIPA that I like so much. Just maybe a little less malt flavor under the hop bite.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I had heard mixed things about the Corruption and after it hit the MD market I was eager to try it myself. DC Brau has a great image, they're cool guys, and On the Wings was a solid double IPA. However, I remain completely unimpressed by this beer. It was nice looking, sure. No frothy head, but sticky lacing all the way down, nice bronzed color, an initial burst of hops and sweet malts upon opening the can, but I could not get over the vegetal flavor. The bitterness struck me as harsh, the taste vegetal, and both only grew as the beer warmed. Maybe I'm getting old beers, but I live about 30 minutes from DC and since the beer has only recently hit the market, most stores have a hard time keeping it on the shelves. This is not something I'll seek out again.

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the cloudiest beer I've ever been served. The closest equivalent I can think of is chocolate milk. Not much head, but it does leaves a good coat of lace after each sip.

The smell is muted, but the taste is full. On the malt side, there's some sweet crystal. On the hop side, strong peppery bitterness. The aftertaste is long lasting (and bitter). The mouthfeel is well balanced.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. can with no canning date. Served in a balloon glass.

The Corruption has a cloudy amber body with ruby highlights throughout and topped by an incredible off-white cream head that shows impeccable lacing and stickage. It definitely appears to be a hoppy beer.

The aroma is a medium strength bouquet of various hop aromas, showing off primary notes of grapefruit, pine needles, and light honey malts that contribute an almost floral character.

The taste has a distinct difference from the aroma in this beer. The bitterness is there and balances the malts out, but it remains well-balanced, if not just slightly on the bitter side. Hop flavor takes the front of the palate with a light citrus and pine flavor, but then after the swallow, the hops become onion-like in the finish. Well, actually I don't know if that is the hops character or not...it might be the malts too. The carbonation is good for the style, and provides a sharpness to the mouthfeel. The Corruption is medium-bodied, and hides the 6.5% pretty well.

I was thrown off by the flavor which I perceived to be "onion-like" but was not turned off by it. I still found this to be a unique beer, and would not turn someone against picking some of this up. I personally don't find this the most compelling IPA out there, but again...it IS unique. Better than ok, but not great!

4.26/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Looks about as expected for an ipa. Nice lacing on the glass and head is a healthy half inch for a growler. picked this up at The Perfect Pour - Columbia MD
S- big time resinous pine with some faint citrus notes. Awesome
T- follows pretty well, sweet citrus malt first , quickly followed on by piney, earthy dank hops and. Hops are real nice.
M- about med. toward light with proper bubbles. Long bitter -resinous -pithy finish is impressive
O- Will look for this again. At first I thought the finish overwhelming but it didn't make it less drinkable or enjoyable. HOPHEADS - I highly recommend.

3.27/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

No apparent canning date, but a store sticker with 02/27/14 is found on the can, so it's gotta be at least somewhat fresh

Appearance - Pours a semi-hazy rustic amber with a sandstone colored, near 2-finger head. Fair retention results in a thin, near broken layer of suds across the surface. Lacing is prominent, with good stick.

Smell - Earthy, and piney as hell; resinous, dank. Faint notes of grapefruit. So far, not my type of IPA.

Taste - Follows the nose. Earth, some caramel undertone and a strong dankness that rides along with a resinous pine character. Light grapefruit pith in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full body with low carbonation. Smooth, in the least.

Overall - Yeah, not my cup o' tea. Just too resinous and piney for my liking. Fans of ultra dank IPAs should certainly give this one a try. You'll likely love it. For me? A one and done. While my tolerance for these dank monsters has grown, my appreciation for them has not.

The Corruption from DC Brau Brewing Co.