The Citizen - DC Brau Brewing Co.

The CitizenThe Citizen

good

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

The Citizen Belgian Ale is inspired by the timeless Tripel style ales of Belgium. Using a traditional high gravity "Abbey" yeast strain that encourages the production of highly palatable ethanol notes supported by Aromatic and "The Citizen" also exhibits the noble hop spiciness that is common to most Belgian Ales. Reigning in at 7.0% ABV this is the Brau's strongest offering in our flagship portfolio. Become a Citizen of the world, one sip at a time!

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 07-13-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Citizen Alström Bros

ncaudle, Oct 07, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Lob, Oct 05, 2012

glitchedmind, Sep 29, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Myst, Sep 27, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

DC Brau The Citizen is a tasty Belgian pale with notes of unripe fruit. It's very tasty and reminds me of white wine in some ways. It is not like your usual Belgian pale.

A: Cloudy yellow colour with an excellent 2 cm head and good carbonation. 4.5

S: Belgian yeast and the strong aroma of banana ester. 4

T: Malty with some slightly-sour flavours of unripe fruit. There is some sweetness there but it's not overdone. Quite nice, reminds me of white wine. Not like the style it claims to be though, really.. 4

M: Foamy. 4

1474th Review on BA
Can to goblet
12oz

No canning date

Thanks to my brother in law for the state tick

App- A bellini looking hazy orange and yellow. Small 1/2 " head. No cling or lace down the glass which was a bit suprising.

Smell- When you first take a whiff it has tripel notes mixed with a pale malt than expected. A little hoppy and a little sweet. Creamy dessert notes of whip cream come wofting up.

Taste- I really wanted to like this more. Its above average, hence the 4 but it's just okay. Creamy hops and malts are semi balanced between a pale ale and triple flavor with a little sweetness.

Mouth- A thinner medium body with a creamy flavor behind it. A solid medium carbonation with a residual triple pepper malty flavor with touches of that whip cream from the nose.

Drink- I thought I would enjoy this more. I was thinking it would be a canned Stone Belgiuqe. It was tasty but wasnt blown away. Hopefully the other two I have are a bit more wowing.

FosterJM, Aug 27, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

It pours with a white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a murky golden body. I can smell spicy hops in the nose, and something in the smell is reminding me of wine. The beer is strongly carbonated, a little too much. I'm new to Belgian pale ales, so the taste is unique to me. I know now why I was reminded of wine when I smelled it, there's a definite fruitiness in the beer. It's a very drinkable beer despite its alcohol content. The mouthfeel is thin, I believe that's the point since it's a Belgian pale ale. I don't think I like this style of beer, but I have to review the beer for what it is, and it's good for what it is.

dontpanic5, Aug 25, 2012

raffy313, Aug 24, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -29%

Health, Aug 20, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Kmccabe33 hooked me up with this one... Very cool trade.. thanks Korey!! Poured into my slim tulip decent off white head with okay lacing.. the brew looks like apricot nectar... cloudy hazy golden.

Funny.. because the brew also smells like apricot nectar.. the Belgian esters do a number with the residual maltiness and become a mess... toooo sweet and sorta foul fruitiness erupts from the glass.

Flavor thankfully is a little better, still an abundant overpowering fruity ester profile is too much.

Body is too thick for anything "Belgian".. carbonation is a touch light too...

I just don't like this one... I see the continental influences.. but they are waaay out of balance with the fruitiness... I haven't taken a sip for probably ten minutes and the apricot is still prancing around my palate begging for some Scope.

3.5/2.5/3/3.5/2.5

nickfl, Jul 26, 2012

circus_cat, Jul 21, 2012

Liz8646, Jul 19, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

My cousin, Colby Chandler, specialty brewer at Ballast Point, got this for me while sharing a booth with the brewers during SAVOR 2012. It's nice to have relatives and even nicer when they know my fondness for CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "Citizen Facts [:] In 1963, the citizens of Washington DC won th right tovote for the president and vice-president of the United States with the ratification of the 23rd Amendment to the Constitution."; "Please recycle - pack in, pack out". "Serve in a tulip, gobelt or enjoy from the [CAN]".

The Crack revealed another well-filled craft CAN as well as another beer anxious to get out from its surroundings, foaming up as soon as its CAN was cracked open. I allowed things to settle back down before employing a very gentle Glug so as not to disturb any lees. This still resulted in two fingers of foamy French Vanilla-colored head with decent retention. Nose was both fruity and musty, both yeast-driven and I was reminded of Juicyfruit gum along with a mustiness of old newspapers. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden yellow with lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Mouthfeel was full, kind of spritzy from the massive carbonation and the taste was immediately fruity, followed by a mustiness, and then a twang of grassy hops. The finish was dry, smooth, tasty and before I realized it, I had CANsumed easily half of it! At 7.0% ABV, that is something to bear in mind. This might be a dangerous beer to take to the beach ...

woodychandler, Jul 05, 2012

bifrost17, Jul 04, 2012

Ted, Jun 30, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: cloudy orange; 1-finger head; good carbonation (little beads)
S: wretched at first--smells of ammonia--but then opens up into an inviting yeast aroma with bits of pear, candy
T: salty, yeasty; low on hops, high on flavor from the malt and yeast; the cherry and pine I detected in the growler version is missing from the canned; and the alcohol blends better with the flavor profile, to create a more subtle, smooth combination

I prefer the canned to the growlered!

Arithmeticus, Jun 28, 2012

axman, Jun 27, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Woodychandler continues to come through with canned beers, thanks man. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some fruits and malts. Taste is the same, a bit of fruitiness, some malts and a touch of spice. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an easy drinking and enjoyable beer.

tone77, Jun 22, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

duceswild, Jun 18, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slight yeast on the nose followed by an even lighter citrus note.

The beer pours a dark haystack opaque color with a white head, and nice lacing. The head doesn't last too long, but it's a good looking beer overall.

Strongest flavor sensation is that of yeast and doughy biscuity bread. There is a slight carbonation bite on the finish, and a balanced bitterness.

Finishes a tad dry with a fuller body than I expected and high carbonation. Overall it's not too bad, but it's not blowing my socks off either.

tlazaroff, Jun 17, 2012
The Citizen from DC Brau Brewing Co.