The Citizen - DC Brau Brewing Co.

The CitizenThe Citizen

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: t0rin0 on 07-13-2011

The Citizen Belgian Ale is inspired by the timeless Tripel style ales of Belgium. Using a traditional high gravity "Abbey" yeast strain that encourages the production of highly palatable ethanol notes supported by Aromatic and "The Citizen" also exhibits the noble hop spiciness that is common to most Belgian Ales. Reigning in at 7.0% ABV this is the Brau's strongest offering in our flagship portfolio. Become a Citizen of the world, one sip at a time!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Citizen Alström Bros
3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz can into a Brau tulip glass. Actually my favorite looking can from the Brau lineup.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a thin-ish one finger white head. Low retention and no lacing.

Aroma: Nice, fruity estery aroma. Green apple and pear and a little banana combine with Belgian yeast and hints of floral hops.

Taste: This beer could walk the line of a trippel with it's strong fruity and estery flavors. It's a bit sweeter. Once again, apple banana and pear flavors come to mind. Soft sweet malts and belgian yeast work with a light floral hop bite towards the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lighter side of medium. It's a little thin but... it kinda should be. The carbonation level is a little high but this is an easy drinker. It's kinda crazy this beer clocks in at 7%. You would never know it.

3.93/5  rDev +11%

DC Brau The Citizen is a tasty Belgian pale with notes of unripe fruit. It's very tasty and reminds me of white wine in some ways. It is not like your usual Belgian pale.

A: Cloudy yellow colour with an excellent 2 cm head and good carbonation. 4.5

S: Belgian yeast and the strong aroma of banana ester. 4

T: Malty with some slightly-sour flavours of unripe fruit. There is some sweetness there but it's not overdone. Quite nice, reminds me of white wine. Not like the style it claims to be though, really.. 4

M: Foamy. 4

O: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

1474th Review on BA
Can to goblet

No canning date

Thanks to my brother in law for the state tick

App- A bellini looking hazy orange and yellow. Small 1/2 " head. No cling or lace down the glass which was a bit suprising.

Smell- When you first take a whiff it has tripel notes mixed with a pale malt than expected. A little hoppy and a little sweet. Creamy dessert notes of whip cream come wofting up.

Taste- I really wanted to like this more. Its above average, hence the 4 but it's just okay. Creamy hops and malts are semi balanced between a pale ale and triple flavor with a little sweetness.

Mouth- A thinner medium body with a creamy flavor behind it. A solid medium carbonation with a residual triple pepper malty flavor with touches of that whip cream from the nose.

Drink- I thought I would enjoy this more. I was thinking it would be a canned Stone Belgiuqe. It was tasty but wasnt blown away. Hopefully the other two I have are a bit more wowing.

3.89/5  rDev +9.9%

It pours with a white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a murky golden body. I can smell spicy hops in the nose, and something in the smell is reminding me of wine. The beer is strongly carbonated, a little too much. I'm new to Belgian pale ales, so the taste is unique to me. I know now why I was reminded of wine when I smelled it, there's a definite fruitiness in the beer. It's a very drinkable beer despite its alcohol content. The mouthfeel is thin, I believe that's the point since it's a Belgian pale ale. I don't think I like this style of beer, but I have to review the beer for what it is, and it's good for what it is.

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Kmccabe33 hooked me up with this one... Very cool trade.. thanks Korey!! Poured into my slim tulip decent off white head with okay lacing.. the brew looks like apricot nectar... cloudy hazy golden.

Funny.. because the brew also smells like apricot nectar.. the Belgian esters do a number with the residual maltiness and become a mess... toooo sweet and sorta foul fruitiness erupts from the glass.

Flavor thankfully is a little better, still an abundant overpowering fruity ester profile is too much.

Body is too thick for anything "Belgian".. carbonation is a touch light too...

I just don't like this one... I see the continental influences.. but they are waaay out of balance with the fruitiness... I haven't taken a sip for probably ten minutes and the apricot is still prancing around my palate begging for some Scope.

4.02/5  rDev +13.6%

My cousin, Colby Chandler, specialty brewer at Ballast Point, got this for me while sharing a booth with the brewers during SAVOR 2012. It's nice to have relatives and even nicer when they know my fondness for CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "Citizen Facts [:] In 1963, the citizens of Washington DC won th right tovote for the president and vice-president of the United States with the ratification of the 23rd Amendment to the Constitution."; "Please recycle - pack in, pack out". "Serve in a tulip, gobelt or enjoy from the [CAN]".

The Crack revealed another well-filled craft CAN as well as another beer anxious to get out from its surroundings, foaming up as soon as its CAN was cracked open. I allowed things to settle back down before employing a very gentle Glug so as not to disturb any lees. This still resulted in two fingers of foamy French Vanilla-colored head with decent retention. Nose was both fruity and musty, both yeast-driven and I was reminded of Juicyfruit gum along with a mustiness of old newspapers. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden yellow with lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Mouthfeel was full, kind of spritzy from the massive carbonation and the taste was immediately fruity, followed by a mustiness, and then a twang of grassy hops. The finish was dry, smooth, tasty and before I realized it, I had CANsumed easily half of it! At 7.0% ABV, that is something to bear in mind. This might be a dangerous beer to take to the beach ...

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: cloudy orange; 1-finger head; good carbonation (little beads)
S: wretched at first--smells of ammonia--but then opens up into an inviting yeast aroma with bits of pear, candy
T: salty, yeasty; low on hops, high on flavor from the malt and yeast; the cherry and pine I detected in the growler version is missing from the canned; and the alcohol blends better with the flavor profile, to create a more subtle, smooth combination

I prefer the canned to the growlered!

3.68/5  rDev +4%

Woodychandler continues to come through with canned beers, thanks man. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some fruits and malts. Taste is the same, a bit of fruitiness, some malts and a touch of spice. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an easy drinking and enjoyable beer.

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slight yeast on the nose followed by an even lighter citrus note.

The beer pours a dark haystack opaque color with a white head, and nice lacing. The head doesn't last too long, but it's a good looking beer overall.

Strongest flavor sensation is that of yeast and doughy biscuity bread. There is a slight carbonation bite on the finish, and a balanced bitterness.

Finishes a tad dry with a fuller body than I expected and high carbonation. Overall it's not too bad, but it's not blowing my socks off either.

3.12/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Pours a hazy yellow with two fingers of white head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: Belgian spices up front with tons of bubblegum and candy sugar. There are some bready and light fruit notes as well.

T: Spices up front again with slight bubblegum and light fruit notes. Dry, slightly bitter bread and yeast flavors bring up the finish.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer is a little on the watery side.

O: Not a bad beer, but a bit bland and watery for my tastes.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz can into tulip. no canned on date.

A: very opaque, very hazed orangey, yellow body. head is white and big. good retention as some thick lacing left behind.

S: eggy, sulfur. a definitive sweet, fruity hop aroma. however, there are more of yeast, sulfur egg aromas than hops.

T: sweet and earthy palate. the bitterness is there, but not enough to compete with the yeasty fruityness. peachy finish. the body is lacking a little in my opinion. wouldnt hate a touch more malty meat.

M: average carbonation on a medium body.

D: definitely more of a sweet belgian blonde than a belgian pale in my opinion. need a greater hop presence to call this a BPA. not a bad beer, but the label is a little deceiving. i say pass and check out some other brews from dc brah.

4.02/5  rDev +13.6%

Multiple samples straight from the brewery and from a growler. Served into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy golden yellow/orange colored body with a rich, fluffy and sticky white head. The retention is really nice, leaving a cap behind and some sticky lacing on the walls. Certainly unfiltered in its looks.

S: Belgian yeast, pale malts, mild white pepper, Belgian-like spice, and a quite assertive hop spice with a touch of bitterness. It smells like a cross between a classic Tripel and something more along the lines of a regular Belgian Pale Ale. The classification seems muddled though.

T: Lots of unripe banana, pepper, caramel and pale malts, touch of sweetness and some tamed bitterness midway. The back of the palate brings an evident yeast characteristics along with some classic Belgian spice. It's really a unique and quite tasty beer.

M: Nicely carbonated, not overdone with a great creamy mouth feel to it. There's a bit of stickiness but it's not left lingering long after.

Of all their beers I sampled that day (every single one on tap), this was by far my favorite of them all. Perhaps it's my love for Belgian Tripels which this comes dangerously close to mimicking, but this is a nicely crafted Belgian Ale... in a can!

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

For review #900, I went local!

Served in a DFH oversized snifter.

A: Poured a very cloudy, peppery orange color, with about 1/4 finger head that stuck around for a while.

S: I'm glad I waited until trying my second can of this stuff in two days before reviewing. Initially, the smell seemed a bit off to me, but then I got used to it an now I actually dig the who butterscotch caramel thing that this one has going for it.

T: Seriously, one would have to have a microscope to detect anything citrusy in this one. I got that same caramel quality that I got on the nose, only more intense. The Belgian funk was especially strong with this one.

M: The sweetness was tempered and I didn't get much booze, but the Belgian yeast is virtually seeping out of my pours! The lacing was moderate and I didn't get much more undesirable... except for maybe a few vials of Belgian White Labs too many.

O: Overall, I agree with what others have said overall and I truly wish this had a bit more citrus. That TOTALLY would have made a difference at least in terms of drinkability. Still, I'll remember the smell of this one for weeks!

3.37/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Can poured into a tulip

A-Deep golden hue with very thin head that disappears quickly.

S-Citrus and hops provide a clear smell.

T-Hops taste runs throughout with hints of citrus and a malty finish.

M-Smooth with disappointing lack of carbonation to accent taste.

O-Overall decent Belgian pale ale although slightly pricey.

3.4/5  rDev -4%

The appearance is a cloudy orange to amber color, with moderate head. Yeast and clove aromas, which carry over to the palate with a mild hop profile. There was limited carbonation combined with a light mouthfeel that created a watery sensation. Pleasant enough to drink but not something I would seek out.

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz can poured into my Ithaca glass. It poured a hazy, golden amber color with a thin white head barely covering the top of the beer. The head was thin, but it had good retention and lacing.

The aroma has a crisp, refreshing quality to it with some notes of lemon and banana mixing with some sweeter, bready malts. The Belgian yeast is pretty apparent as well, adding some earthy spice flavors. Pretty nice flavorful and refreshing aroma to it.

The taste shows a little more of the zesty lemon and banana flavors to it up front. The finish is where a little more of the Belgian yeast spice comes out along with some crisp fruits. It's a little dry in the finish as well. The sweeter, bready malts give it a pretty nice base.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I thought it was a pretty solid beer. It was light, crisp, refreshing and easy drinking. It felt pretty well balanced as well. It didn't completely wow me, but it's something I'd be happy to drink a few of on a hot day.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to drabmuh for sending me this one!

Pours a slightly hazy honey orange with a 2 inch foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. A nice latticework of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, yeast, and some light fruit aromas. Taste is very much the same with a delicate hop bitterness on the finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but nothing that jumps out at you.

2.87/5  rDev -18.9%

a - poured a one finger thick off-white head into a snifter that settled into a thin ring with no sheeting. the ring was gone halfway through. body was amber.
s - citrusy and slightly spicy hops.
t - bready and yeasty with a hint of citrus.
m - medium and slightly slick.
o - kind of boring and definitely not memorable.

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

The beer has a translucent golden color with a small head of white foam. Lots of carbonation is visible within. Slowly receding walls of foam coat the walls of the glass after I swirl it.

There is some Belgian yeast and candi sugar in the nose, but not any of the peppery spice that one usually finds with this variety of yeast.

The flavor is more complex than the nose. It's a little spicy and a little sweet. A dry mustiness lingers briefly.

The beer is pretty carbonated; all of the bubbles tingle the roof of my mouth. A good amount of coating is left behind. It retains some of the Belgian pepper flavors.

This is an enjoyable beer. It's not going to blow anybody away, but if it were local to me, I could see myself drinking it occasionally.

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Had on tap tonight at Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont DC. Served in a 12 oz. tulip.

a - Pours a hazy bright orange color with one inch of off white head and light to moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of wheat, citrus hops, light spices, and some yeast. Nice but not too strong.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, wheat, bready malts,
grains, and fruity malts.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Easy to drink.

o - Overall a pretty nice beer. Not one of their best, but some nice wheat and citrus mixing, and easy to drink. Would seek out a few of their other beers before this one.

4.23/5  rDev +19.5%

i almost wonder if this beer was made for me because "the citizen" would be a great way to describe me considering i am a true citizen of the world traveling and living all over the place slopping up beer every where i go

pours out a nice hazy apricot but the head is a real unexpected cream soda color. not what i was expecting but looks tasty!

and tasty it was, it did also have a cream soda taste. now i don't know if that's because i thought it looked like cream soda, but it had a nice vanilla and spice flavor too

overall i like this beer a lot and i am glad to see DC brau getting more and more distribution here in the capitol area, they deserve it imho

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

A rather approachable and easy take on a Belgian Golden Ale.

Presentation: Growler from DC Brau's NE headquarters. Small dry board with general growler offering notes. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Hazy pale amber pour, nice frothy head with fair retention, nice surface memory and some touches of lacing.

S - Soft yeasty nose, caramel, and a touch of fruity spice...

T - Nice yeasty flow, floral and caramel sweetness follows… faint spicy hint, remote punctuation of bubble gum… Maybe it is me, but as I go through a second serving I can see a parallel in the structure of this and their el Heffe, in particular around the malty sweet sense… Pleasing in any case.

M - Medium body soft carbonation with a nice smooth feel.

O - Maybe not as crisp or astringent for some as this should be but it is rather pleasing and quaffable.

Notes: Nothing that remarkable, true. But it has a pretty nice flow and feels like quality. While not something I would eagerly repeat on my own often I´d love to show up socially with a growler of this now and then. I´d say it might be rather engaging for the early curious about craft brews, other styles, without offering a pushy beer.

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

Hazy golden yellow with a nice white head. Sweet, yeasty aroma with a mild grain and hop finish. Flavor is also exceptionally sweet and yeasty with a mild bitter finish. Not much in the way of hops and a relatively thin body. I'll pass on this.

3.62/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From tap to snifter at ChurchKey in DC on 10/4/11
*From notes

A: Cloudy off-white yellow. Minimal head and no lacing.

S: It smells like you typical Belgian pale: yeasty, with hints of banana peel and a very faint trace of hops.

T: Quite standard for the style. It's dry up front, and as it moves back, the yeast attacks the tastebuds.

M: A bit undercarbed for my liking. Slightly oily, yet the weight helps to pick up the slack.

O: DC Brau's The Citizen Belgian Pale is pretty much on par for the style, one of which that I'm not a typical fan. Having said that, if I was gonna have a Belgian Pale, I'd most likely reach for this, as it's local and quite nice.

On to the next one, Jeff & Brandon.

3.42/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from DC Brau growler (acquired same day) into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours a slightly murky golden color. Minimal head retention and no lacing.

S - Yeast is the predominant smell. Smells slightly sweet and bready as well. Not very strong, but pleasant enough.

T - Yeast is the predominant flavor; it has that stereotypical "Belgian" taste to it. There's mild hops and spice flavors (cloves perhaps?) present as well.

F - Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation. Pleasant aftertaste as well.

Overall, The Citizen is an enjoyable beer despite its mediocre appearance. It's quite drinkable for its ABV (it tastes more like a 5% beer) and works well for the hybrid it is. I would have it again.

The Citizen from DC Brau Brewing Co.