On The Wings Of Armageddon - DC Brau Brewing Co.

On The Wings Of ArmageddonOn The Wings Of Armageddon

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Beer added by: russwbeck on 02-17-2012

OTWOA is a single hop beer utilizing Falconers Flight. Brewed with just enough Pale malt, Cara-60, CaraPils and Malted wheat to carry the intense hop character onto the pallet.

At first glance, it has an orange hue in the glass with a viscus, rocky head that refuses to dissipate. Upon first sniff there are dominate aromas of citrus, white grapes and grapefruit with light bread and biscut notes. After the first sip we taste a mellow bitterness that only grows as more is consumed. Moderately carbonated, deceptively smooth, refreshingly dry and extremely heady for a beer at 9.2% ABV.

OTWOA exhibits all the necessary traits to be revered as a world class Imperial IPA.
Reviews: 213 | Hads: 1,743

Wings of Armageddon gives great head once poured into a glass. To the last drop, the beer produced quality lacing and carbonation throughout the tasting. Deep and soft hues of orange showcase this beer.

Aromas include hints of grapefruits and citrus. Tastes are similar to that effect. This beer is obviously a hop-sensation, but unlike many IPA's that tend to be overly bitter and lack smooth fruitiness, this one delivers the goods.

Great Beer, Great Brewery

Nailed this one guys! (487 characters)

Canned 4/11/2014

A : Drinking straight from the can. I prefer it this way as less of the carbonation is lost while drinking. Beautiful orange and red color with a thick white head when poured into a glass.

S: I could honestly attach a can to my nose for the rest of my life and just smell this intoxicating scent forever. Mango, orange, tangerine, with a little bit of pine. Smells artificially sweetened, like a bowl of fruit loops or fruity pebbles.

T: Lots of fruit! Again mango and tropical fruits. Bready/biscuity malt character. Nice and pleasant bitterness to finish out the beer.

M: Prickly and fully carbonated.

O: This is up there with the best DIPAs produced on the East Coast. I recommend taking a trip to their brewery and picking up as much of this as possible. (780 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +15%

I have had this in a can and 22oz bottle. Served in a DC Brau tulip and a FFF teku.

First I gotta thank my main man Crabbicus. He is probably the greatest BA I've ever had the pleasure of exchanging beer with.

Anyways, I'm not gonna go into to much detail on the intricacies of this brew. I'm on number 3 and can barely feel my face.
Find this beer. You will not regret it. It's a wonderful brew! The falconers flight hops shine! So many great citrus tastes! Orange, grapefruit, maybe some lemon. This is one of my top 3 beers, and I'm a stout porter guy. I can't get enough of this. Amazing.
Hats off to the boys at the Brau.
Cheers! (638 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance- A hazy orangeish unfiltered look, very good looking beer for an IPA. Reminds me of something similar to an unfiltered belgian with more of an orange color. Overall a very good looking beer.

Smell- Wow, it is quite an amazing bouquet of smells coming off of this beer when getting a good smell of it. Lots of citrus notes, some hints of piney notes along with that, very amazing smelling beer. I hate to make the comparison, but a very similar nose to that of Pliny the Elder, with the citrus notes and the all around great nose.

Taste- Again, wow. It is a very well balanced and well rounded imperial IPA. You get the bitterness of the hops and the taste of citrus, but that balances out very well with other flavors throughout the beer. Floral notes are also evident within the taste, and just overall an extremely well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel- Can't rave any more about this beer, it is downright perfect in so many aspects. The mouthfeel is well rounded, in that it is a bitter flavor within the beer, but it doesn't dry the mouth. It just leaves you wanting more. Well done DC Brau. Well done.

Overall- Extremely happy to call this a local beer, and I may have found my new favorite beer. MUST HAVE! (1,220 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up 2 cases on May 4 release, and debated that since I'd never had OTWOA, before.

This beer was cold upon pick up, allowed me to have a couple on the way out of DC since it was so cold! And it also helped having a driver too...

Canned on 5-1-13, and this beer is up there with other Imperial IPA's and even DIPA's... (324 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - pours a copper-golden color with a foamy white head.

S - The smell of grapefruit and pine fill the air as the beer is poured from a can into a glass. Incredibly pleasant.

T - Flavors of grapefruit first, followed by a bitter-pine like flavor that is well balanced throughout. This beer was canned yesterday and the freshness of the falconers' hops are intense and make this beer something to be remembered. Certainly reminiscent of heady topper.

M - Well carbonated, nothing overpowering by any means. Nothing remarkable as well as it should be. The falconers' hops are the star here.

O - Really stunning. I've had this beer a couple of times before this and have fond memories, but I'm unsure if my latest impression is due to their canning of this beer or just how incredibly fresh it is. I enjoyed this more than my last can of heady topper. It's unclear if that's due to the fresh nature of this can of OTWOA. (953 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

Amazing DIPA that stands with the big boys. This brew reminds me of Heady! its a citrus, hoppy, piny explosion that had me wanting more....like ten more lol. If you see this brew and your a hop head it's a must try. At the end of the day this brew is one of the best I have had.

Bottom Line: World Class Beer! (311 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

Reviewed from the bottle entry... even though I could easily grab a growler from across the street at any time.

Served in a DFH oversized snifter.

A: Poured a vicious bright red/gold color, very cloudy, with a decent finger head that dropped down over the span of the session.

S: Ahhh.... fresh Citra hops are awesome! Lots of grapefruit,fresh hop leafs, a tinge of malt, and even more hops after that.

T: This gives "Sculpin" a run for its money. Intense hop, pine, grapefruit component for sure, with the sweet elements in the back , back, background for sure.

M: The bitterness didn't sting at all.... quite the contrary. The citrus was the main component in this baby!

O: The best beer available in the DC area. Anyone want to do a trade? :) (753 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

On the Wings of Armaggenon DC Brau

Thanks to ahalloin for the taste from his growler.

The look is good, has a nice look of semi hazy orange and some gold on the edges, some head with a nice cascading lacing. On tap this looks outstandingly thick like a cask draw. 4.5

The smell is great, it has such a amazing hop complexity, it's a great blend of hop flavors, I've heard they used a big blend of different hops and it really comes through beautifully in the smell. It rivals the big and best dipas, and seriously I'm not just saying that as a homer, it is really quite fantastic. Some small malts that add a bit of sweet to aroma but really it just all hops all the time: citra, dry grass, and more. 5

The taste is equally as awesome, it's somehow really easy to drink but also super complex. The hops come through brilliantly with some amazing flavors of citrus, plant esters and weed, some nice semi sweet bread malts, lingering bitters, and maybe the faintest alcohol influence. Some nice small flower notes too, really most kinds of hop flavors are here.really excellent, drinks with the best of them or better than the best of them, seriously. 5

The feel is good, slick and semi bitter finish, it's juicy as well. It's really nice. 5

This beer is the real deal, a hop heads dream beer especially for me since dc Brau is so close, what a treat. Worth trying if you are from out of town, trust me. If the rest of their beers start coming out this good, this brewery might take off. 5 (1,495 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this on draft at Churchkey in DC

A: A nice orange-y amber with receding one-finger white foam head. Fine looking appearance.

S: HUGE dank fruity hops right away. Sticky tropical fruit, grapefruit, almost orange/tangerine like. Tropical fruit hops punch you in the face! Very subtle maltiness. Absolutely fantastic aroma.

T: Definitely a DIPA. Huge biterness, followed with piney grapefruit goodness. Nice tropical hoppiness, orange/tangerine like citrus. Super dry. Bready malt backbone, light but enough to balance the hops. A definite hop head's beer. Awesome taste.

M: Plenty of carbonation, medium bodied. High ABV isn't noticable at all.

O: Here is hoping they make this beer with more regularity. There is a reason this is becoming one of the top east-coast DIPA's, it is fantastic. Great hop profile, well crafted and well balanced DIPA. Definitely treat yourself to this if you like anything hoppy. (915 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

What a pleasant little surprise from my hometown! Can't say enough good things about this beer. Upon popping the can open, I'm hit with a wave of fresh and lively hops. Citrusy, pine, and a hint of tropical sweetness - all coming from the Falconer's Flight. The malty backbone provides just enough caramel/bread to balance out the bitterness, which just allows the flavors to shine through even more.

Have bought two cases in each release they've had so far, and planning on doing the same in the next one. Seek this beer out if you can, you won't be disappointed. It's like the Heady Topper of DC! (599 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Love this beer and its bitterness which is a surprise because it's not something I usually look for in a beer. Tons of hop and bitter flavor with tons of citrus notes. I've had both the cans and on tap and prefer tap but cans are still really solid! (249 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Got a growler from the brewery. Poured an awesome golden color into my DFH snifter with a pure white head. Very nice lacing. Smell - nice citrus. Sweet smell. Creamy mouth feel. Bitterness at 115IBU (???) not overly bitter in taste. A wonderful beer. 9.2 % not apparent - very dangerous since it is sooo drinkable. A great brew! Got to pour more into my DC BRAU special glass! A great version of an American Double/Imperial IPA. (428 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to chadwicktorres for this great beer. Pours a hazy orange with a thick, off-white head that settles into a nice, foamy cap. Good lacing. This is what a world-class Imperial IPA should look like. Aroma redolent with tropical fruit and citrus followed by faint herbal and floral notes. This is one awesome smelling IPA! Tropical fruit hits the palate first, slams it really. What a fruit forward beer, it tastes amazing. The fruit hop character is balanced perfectly by the piney, herbal notes mid palate. All this hop character is balanced perfectly by a solid malt backbone with some sweet caramel notes. Finishes dry and nicely bitter. The alcohol is slightly warming, but its amazing how smooth this beer is considering its 9.2% ABV. Medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, this is textbook Imperial IPA that lives up to the title of "Heady Killer!" (889 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can poured into a tulip glass

Deep golden, almost amber color with plenty of foamy white head. The nose is great. You just keep going back to drink in the piney, citrusy scent. The taste is all your favorite IPA notes rolled into one. Deep, thick, resiny mouthfeel with tropical fruits, pine, citrus, and grassy notes all at once. One of the more impressive beers I've had in awhile. Also very drinkable. The booze is well hidden but then comes back when you finish it off. (474 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Put this on tap at the store recently, gave it a go rather quickly afterwards:

A - Hazy orange with a low off white head that dissapates fairly quickly. Laces nicely. It certainly looks good.

S - Big citrusy hops on the nose. As soon as I smelled it I instantly thought of Citras. It has a noticable tangerine note that just screams it. Smells wonderful.

T - Wow. Just fantastic. More big citrus here, soft on pine and earth. Malt sweetness is well balanced. Balance really is the word here. It is big, it is hoppy, but I don't get a lot of bitterness or sweetness. Really well crafted.

M - Right on for the style. Not to thin, carbed well and easy to drink.

O - What more is there to say really? I had heard good things, but this still blew me away. This is the best beer I have had out of the DC area in a long time, and quite possibly ever. I'd say it is easily the best IPA release I've had since Sucks, and will probably find a place in my Top 10.

I think I need another growler . . . (995 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%

How to start... I went to the release to pick up a case this Saturday (May 4th).

A: Poured into a no-stem snifter. 1-2 finger head that persists longer than I would expect with a 9.2% ABV. Kind of a murky golden amber.

S: You can definitely smell the tropical hops on this. Very nice, pungent, lasting smell. Grapefruit, citrus, even a slight... almost honey-like scent? Super hoppy.

T: Wow. You get rushed by the hops, but it's incredibly balanced in the aftertaste. Definitely tropical hops, with malt to even it out.

M: After a couple of these, for sure, the mouthfeel persists for a long time. You can tell that you were drinking this beer by the persistent taste and feel on your tongue. Carbonation is fine - probably a bit higher than other DIPAs.

O: I'm not the most experienced DIPA drinker, but this is definitely the best one I've had to experience on release so far. I had it super fresh - maybe in a month or two I'll see how it holds up over time. I'm very glad I got the opportunity to get a case of this beer! (1,034 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Pours a dark dull golden color that is very cloudy. Tight small bubble white head tops the beer in elegant fashion.

The smell is really great. Big citrusy and piney hops dominate with notes of weed and stone fruit. Marmalade, apricot, and slight sulphur note as well. Some malt is perceptible but the hops dominate.

Good sweet malt backbone with slight caramel notes hold up a big tangy bouquet of hops. Peach, pine, and grapefruit zest dominate and carry the flavor through to a satisfying medium bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is quite nice and full with a slickness. Medium low carbonation. Bitter finish with little perception of alcohol heat.

Overall, I think this is an awesome Imperial IPA that gives the big boys a run for their money. (771 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

75 beers rated and this is my first review.
A: rich copper
S: pine and earth, very subtle barnyard
T: follows the nose, but with a lot of pine. This iipa strays from the citrus/tropical hop profile so ubiquitous to the style, and in a good way
M: exactly where it should be
O: fsw double jack is my go - to iipa, but I think this may have just taken the cake. (361 characters)

Poured from a can:

L - orange-colored. head subsides, leaves some sticky lacing

S - citrus and tropical. grapefruit, pineapple, maybe a little caramel

T- citrus and tropical again, luscious but not heavy. the grapefruit is there, maybe candied orange/tangerine, I don't get the pineapple until it warms up. Exactly the right amount of caramel malt sweetness for my palate, I love this balance between the hops and malt. The drying finish keeps it from hanging on the palate

F - a little slick in a great way but with plenty of carbonation that helps balance the beer and lift it off the palate

O - Amazingly drinkable, I can knock this back way too quick. The big flavor profile isn't overpowering by virtue of great balance, lively carbonation, and a dry finish. Obviously I'm a huge fan, I've drank a ton of this beer over the last few years and I'm always excited to get it.

I just wish it came in a tallboy, especially because of the way the sweeter and more tropical flavors emerge as it warms... (1,007 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Hazy golden orange with a half head of off white head that vanished quickly. Alcohol legs are present.

S - Huge floral and pine hop upfront. A slight estringency follows with no presence of malts. Hop bomb.

T - Pine hops with estringency are the heavy hitters. Hop bomb for sure. Reminds me of a big west coast ipa. Pliny and Heady Topper competitior? Maybe.

M - very bitter with a dry finish. 9.2% is almost non existent. Scary drinkable.

O - My favorite IPA to date. Also the freshest IPA I have ever had. Canned on 3/15/13, consumed on 3/16/13. DC Brau is doing great things.

Edit: Just got a new batch of OTWOA canned on 5/01/13 and enjoyed on 5/04/13. This beer just continues to blow me away. I've had plenty of great IPA/IIPA/DIPA in my short time of enjoying great beer. But nothing comes close to this stuff. I still need to try Pliny and Heady Topper, but this is about as great as it gets in the Mid Atlantic. If i could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it... That should be all I need to say in order for you guys to seek this beer out. (1,083 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy copper apricot hue,frothy 1 finger off white head, solid lacing.

Aromatic grapefruit and pine needles,malt nearly nonexistent.

Flavors are tart grapefruit rind, tangerines, touch of mango and pine needles: very slight alcohol presence for a whopping 9.2% abv. Some warming detected in the throat. Terrific dry finish and wonderful bitterness.

Mouthfeel is amazing, perfect medium,expertly carbonated.

As for your "World Class" IIPAs in a can, this crushes Ghandi Bot, edges out Elevated, and stands toe to toe with Heady Topper IMO, with the only negative being the booziness that drops it down just a hair. Highest recommendation, and an outstanding surprise in every respect. Will be getting more of this for certain. (730 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I feel as if I have been wanting to taste this one
for years.
Now it is done.
Hype :Deserved.
Grateful I am.
Being a semi-local brewrey , DC Brau has impressed me before ie; The Corruption IPA.
OTWOA has really been an urban legend to me.
WOW.
A: Deep rich blurry orange.
S: Fruit salad caramel drizzle.
T: Pineapple citrus peppery burst evolves to a seemingly never ending dry hop finish.
ThankyousirmayIhaveanother!
Incredibly smooth for 9.2 abv = get comfortable enjoy and stay.
First sample was a goblet at lunch, now a growler shared tonight.
Thank you Lost Dog Cafe.
This beer excels from beginning to END. It's Armageddon! (632 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just got a six pack cans fresh from DC Brau brewery

A-poured can into New Belguim globe glass with a hazy golden color with two finger white head. Great lacing and head last throughout.

S-wonderful and big aromas of citrus and pine with a orange zest

T-awesome sweet malt with a melon and orange with a dry finish with the hops and grapefruit and pine

M-very well balanced with the hops and malts, great carbonation, great mouthfeel

O-great imperial IPA, was quite impressed, glad I got 2 fresh six packs at the brewery! (526 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Usual snifter on hand to house this puppy.

two can limit at my local shop. excited to try this.

this baby pours a hazy tangerine with a frothy 2 and half finger head. looks delicious.

smells so very juicy. orange, mango, grapefruit. west coast nose.

big grapefruit, resin, pine, with a nice very faint malt to coat an excellent bitterness.

this beer is worth hunting down, if you're a hop head. (402 characters)

On The Wings Of Armageddon from DC Brau Brewing Co.