On The Wings Of Armageddon - DC Brau Brewing Co.

On The Wings Of ArmageddonOn The Wings Of Armageddon

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Beer added by: russwbeck on 02-17-2012

OTWOA is a single hop beer utilizing Falconers Flight. Brewed with just enough Pale malt, Cara-60, CaraPils and Malted wheat to carry the intense hop character onto the pallet.

At first glance, it has an orange hue in the glass with a viscus, rocky head that refuses to dissipate. Upon first sniff there are dominate aromas of citrus, white grapes and grapefruit with light bread and biscut notes. After the first sip we taste a mellow bitterness that only grows as more is consumed. Moderately carbonated, deceptively smooth, refreshingly dry and extremely heady for a beer at 9.2% ABV.

OTWOA exhibits all the necessary traits to be revered as a world class Imperial IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of On The Wings Of Armageddon Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,718 | Reviews: 241
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sick art work on the can. Pours a hazy burnt orange. Nice citrusy nose. I can get some grapefruit and tropical notes. Has some nice malt bill and finishes slightly bitter. Medium carbonation and deceptively strong. Smash two and you're feeling pretty good.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Delicious out of the can. From one of my favorite cities in the world.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pretty dark in the bar I had this at but it looked to have a darker body and thin white/tan head. There was a nice big tropical hops and some dankiness with sticky small lacing. There is a great balance in the hops and the malt and it is incredibly easy-drinking for its ABV.

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had on nitro at the brewery

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome DIPA, espically the Nitro version served from Old Town Pour House's rotating stock in Gburg, MD.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Best DC local I've tried yet. I wasn't a fan of the Falconer's Flight until I got my mitts on this beer. Shockingly "light" for such a big beer which to me is a big deal. I prefer drinkable flavor over overly boozy/syrupy flavor and this beer delivers on that.

3.91/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very dark amber color. Heavy mouthfeel. Intensely malty which I wasn't the hugest fan of. Canned a little over a month ago. 4-24-15. I would have liked to have tried it a bit more fresh.

Draft from keg into a growler then to pint glass 48 hours later. No real pop or hiss from cap. About 1 full finger of off white fluffy head. Did have lacing throughout the drink. Poured a milky amber yellow color. Cloudy. Already don't think I'll be impressed. Smells slightly of hops and citrus but real mild. Taste is much the same. Very mild smooth ipa. Little bitter so probably wet hops. Little citrus. Just sort of there for me. Good just not great. Maybe I waited too long to open the growler. Wouldn't think so but I'll revisit it later.

Hype train seriously derailed here. This was not even an average DIPA.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I was expecting more for all the hype. Very malty and somewhat boozy. Great beer, but I've had better...

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased cans at the brewery. Great DIPA, not sure if it's worth the hype around here, but it's pretty tasty. I wish I could say I like this more than, say, DFH 90 Minute IPA, but not sure if I can. It has more character than some others in the style, but it can be harsher as well. It's also frickin' expensive ($20 for a 6-pack). But -- solid delicious beer.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tropical nose, good hop finish, easy drinking DIPA.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I do love this heady/hoppy imperial IPA. Fragrant, delicious (I would rate even higher but some batched are 5s where others are 4s).

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

L: pale, gold. S: floral, anise. T: dry, floral, light anise, light green herbs

Nice pine smell, dank flavors great dipa

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a cool ass picture on the can. So this thing pours murky as death itself. Translucent at best with a roaring and pissed off foamy cream head that rests into a menacing, fully laced barrier.

The nose warns of a rising storm of bitter, piney, resiny torture. The taste does not relent. Slightly dank, but dank gives way to a slightly different bitter in that it attacks the tongue with that piney thing that the nose tried to tell us about. The tongue didn't listen. Now it's being pummeled straight to the crisp, almost easy drinking finish. Just a touch of cloying sweetness as if the devil himself wants to leave behind a less threatening calling card, just in case you consider it again.

its a solid double... not that amazing though

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from 12 oz can dated 2/23/2015.

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with generous 3 finger fluffy off white head that seemed to last forever and leaving some nice stringy lacing.

S: Light citrus, grapefruit, floral hops, and some biscuit malts. Faint hints of pineapple and lemon.

T: Fresh squeezed citrus combined with a fairly substantial malt backbone. A touch of honey sweetness.

M: Medium body with a slightly bitter hop finish.

O: Very enjoyable DIPA. If this was in my distribution area, it would be a regular purchase.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look was initially 1/2 a finger of head the after a minute, it went away. Smell is fairly malty with some nuttiness. Initial taste Nutty, with some subtle ester. It has a nice malt backbone. Also, this drinks more like 6% to me, it is actually 9.2%. Damn, they hide the alcohol pretty well.

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

OMG. Great beer. Cloudy, gold-ish color. Big head. Floral aroma. Nice malty taste. In my Top 10 DIPA's for sure.

3.41/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brief initial impressions from a can (with stellar art) acquired 3 days ago (courtesy of SlothB77):

A: Pours a healthy 3 inch head of off-white colour. Average creaminess, fullness, frothiness, and thickness. Retention is excellent - easily 8 minutes.

Body colour is a yellow-copper of average vibrance, with no visible yeast particles or hop sediment.

Appears well-carbonated. A typical IPA appearance.

Sm: Fragrant and pungent. Intricate developed floral hop character, a hint of classic herbal character (with some "dankness"), and some mild citrus rind. One of the most classic hop aromas I've ever come across; this has a direct correspondence to the aroma of actual hops.

Average aromatic intensity.

TASTE: Balance is key here, in classic "East Coast style" imperial IPA fashion. Pale malts check the hop bitterness nicely, and there's plenty of hop character lent by floral, herbal, and lightly citrusy hop notes. Deep enough, with nice complexity. I like it.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, well-carbonated, medium-bodied, oily, aptly thick, and soft enough. Suits the taste nicely, but doesn't elevate the beer.

OVERALL: A very enjoyable, drinkable imperial IPA with plenty of flavour and impressive balance. The classic hop aromatics and enjoyable flavour profile make this a beer I'd return to, but not one I'd consider world class. It could well be DC Brau's best beer - I wouldn't know - but it's certainly a good one. Worth trying, but not worth seeking out.

B-

***
05.13.15: Further notes from a second can below.

The dank aroma is palpable as I pour, bringing notes of caramalt, cream, grass, white grapefruit, candi sugar, floral character, and herb. The aroma doesn't indicate any booziness or yeast, but seems on the sweeter side for an imperial IPA.

Appearance is very good overall, with a healthy long-lasting head (~7-8 minute retention) and a lively yeast sediment-riddled body of copper-orange colour and average vibrance. Murky in a good way.

The remarkably soft mouthfeel is evident on the creamy open, luring the drinker in and then delivering with an apt medium body and a supple, comforting texture. Smooth and wet, letting the taste speak for itself. The taste, however, is a bit lacking - balanced though it may be. The relatively mild hop profile is comprised of grassy and floral character, some modest grapefruit citrus, and slightly resinous bitterness. A malt backbone of caramalt, candi character (an awful characteristic here), and pale malt provides the balancing sweetness, but also lends the beer a coating slimy presence on the palate.

This disguises its ABV well, but it's not a beer I'd go out of my way to drink again. I'd happily nab a 6er if I caught this on shelves, but if this is truly DC's best beer I feel bad for the District. Drinkable and worth trying, but not a world-class, unique, or special offering in its style.

B-

3.39/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a growler into DC Brau pint glass I bought at the brewery.

Color is sort of a hazy, brownish gold. The floral character is definitely there in the aroma, and in the taste, too. Not much head, but solid lacing. Taste is okay, but there is a bready taste that doesn't mix well at all with the pine.

I love the Corruption, and I used to love The Wings, but this is the last time I buy Wings. I made multiple trips to the brewery to buy this and loved it, but then it seemed to me that there was a distinct change in flavor, and I stopped making the special brewery trips to pick it up. I thought I'd give it another shot, but it remains as unsatisfying as my latter purchases were.

IMHO, the Corruption is very underrated, and the Wings very overrated.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Hazy golden, slight grayish cast, with a powerful head, and some lacing.

S - Crunchy hop nose, lemon and pine, a bit of cattiness, and various tropicals.

T - Less fruit, more dank pine, with some pineapple, lemon, and a full malt note hitting honey. Strong bitter cut in the close that builds over the course of the beer.

M - For as boozy and fully hopped as this is, the feel is restrained, with the building drying managed though present.

O - Glad I got a chance to have this on tap, and it was a well executed DIPA to be sure. The flavor did not quite deliver on the smell, with the fruit notes more subdued than I hoped, but the bitterness is well managed with a solid malt backbone. I'd drink this one again.

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Piney with citrus hints, well balanced...booze hidden

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really yummy. Great citrus. Nice bitterness and some earthy notes.

On The Wings Of Armageddon from DC Brau Brewing Co.