On The Wings Of Armageddon - DC Brau Brewing Co.

On The Wings Of ArmageddonOn The Wings Of Armageddon

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Beer added by: russwbeck on 02-17-2012

OTWOA is a single hop beer utilizing Falconers Flight. Brewed with just enough Pale malt, Cara-60, CaraPils and Malted wheat to carry the intense hop character onto the pallet.

At first glance, it has an orange hue in the glass with a viscus, rocky head that refuses to dissipate. Upon first sniff there are dominate aromas of citrus, white grapes and grapefruit with light bread and biscut notes. After the first sip we taste a mellow bitterness that only grows as more is consumed. Moderately carbonated, deceptively smooth, refreshingly dry and extremely heady for a beer at 9.2% ABV.

OTWOA exhibits all the necessary traits to be revered as a world class Imperial IPA.
Reviews: 231 | Hads: 1,830
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to sulli520 for this. Canned 09/19/14.

Killer aroma of fuzzy peaches, Flavor is rich of apricots and ends in a dry tea like finish with hints of tobacco leaves. Awesome DIPA.

4.84/5  rDev +12%

Great offering from DC brau. One of the best imperial ipas out there. Hazy orange with strong pine and citrus notes. Very well usage of falconers flight. Only negative I could say is consistency in batches. I wish this hit distro and not just brewery only! So good.

Awesome Imperial IPA. Strong Hop notes on the nose but the taste has enough sweetness to balance it out. No warmth at all! Doesn't taste anywhere close to 9% abv. I could crush a sixer of these without thinking twice. Was lucky enough to get this in a trade and after having it I can say it's DANG good but not world class. Definitely worth trying!

4.04/5  rDev -6.5%

I'll have to get this again sometime. A very solid dipa. Smells fantastic and tastes great. But you better drink fast before the booziness sets in. Towards the end the alcohol takes over the taste and turns a tad syrupy unfortunately.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a light copper body with lace rings down the glass. An earthy, funky citric hop aroma with minimal sweet malts. Smooth, very hoppy of the citric variety along with a crisp, dry finish. The beer is balanced, not too hoppy, thanks to a little bit of grape flavors from hops as well and touches of bready/caramel sweetness. Overall, a well-balanced and designed IPA that is a great sipper.

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I feel as if I have been wanting to taste this one
for years.
Now it is done.
Hype :Deserved.
Grateful I am.
Being a semi-local brewrey , DC Brau has impressed me before ie; The Corruption IPA.
OTWOA has really been an urban legend to me.
A: Deep rich blurry orange.
S: Fruit salad caramel drizzle.
T: Pineapple citrus peppery burst evolves to a seemingly never ending dry hop finish.
Incredibly smooth for 9.2 abv = get comfortable enjoy and stay.
First sample was a goblet at lunch, now a growler shared tonight.
Thank you Lost Dog Cafe.
This beer excels from beginning to END. It's Armageddon!

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- out of a can so all I can judge here us the creepy winged fucker, looks cool though.

S- lots of citrus. Grapefruit and orange with just a touch of pine and grass.

T- super hopped. Like the smell, there's lots of citrus and fruit. Definitely a bitter bite being a DIPA, but not too dry or bitter. Alcohol present though.

M- light to medium bodied. Carbonation very noticeable.

O- very good DIPA. Has a small bite, but mist things do with high ABV. I'd buy this again and again if given the chance. Definitely my favorite out if DC area for now.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am sure I have had this before, but obviously had not reviewed it. Overall it's a solid hopped-up, yet fairly balanced, DIPA. It probably tends slightly to the maltier/sweeter side for me, with the grapefruit bitterness also being more rind in nature than pulp (hope I remember what I mean by this). The end pull is on the dry side, which I like.

A: cloudy orange, slightly dirty, but with a fairly nice amount if head, lacing is pretty strong.
S: bit grainy (wort tea-like) some orange rind, general citrus fruity, bit of dank
T: cereal grainy, orange citrus in the malt beginning that lasts through the taste. There is a little more bitterness mid-taste with grapefruit coming in to play a bit.
M: definite draw on the tongue and roof of mouth, medium full body, subdued but obvious carbonation.

Edit: read the previous review after mine and it struck a chord, and with another sip, I like the "lemon + mint" description for my end taste.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

The good folks at Percy Street BBQ in Philly were kind enough to allow me to buy one CAN for takeaway in order to be able to review it for The CANQuest (TM). I could have done a field review and transcribed the results, but they smoke their own meats on premises and I could not guarantee as good results as I would get at Chez Woody.

From the CAN: "And so it was written ... According to Mayan and Hopi calendars, the 'transition from one world age to another' will happen on December 21, 2012. As an homage to the 'transition' DC Brau has concocted an Imperial IPA named 'On the Wings of Armageddon.'"; "CANs - Indefinitely recyclable - Pack in, pack out"; "Best When Fresh"; "Serve in your favorite glass or enjoy from the CAN".

The Crack! was followed closely by an inverted Glug, but the glass began filling so rapidly with head that I had to back off and allow the pseudo-cascade to happen, lest an overflow take place. Settling, I was left with a dense, two-finger cap of tawny head with great retention. Color was a hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose was a riot of everything from mango and coconut to mint tea and lemon zest! Wow. Mouthfeel was thick and viscous on my tongue, like a dollop of hop pudding. The taste was equal to the nose, with all sorts of flavors vying for superiority while underlain by a caramel malt sweetness. It did not drink like 9.2%, but instead was smooth and very minty on the finish. Is it possible that it incorporated some rye? It really reminded me of a rye IPA in terms of its finish. Man, this was no playin' around, but it was a real treat to add it to The CANQuest (TM).

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Strong pour yields about a finger of frothy white head, with relatively poor retention. Beer is a hazy, nearly opaque copper color. Can is fantastic.

Huge, huge, huge hop aroma, similar to Heady: citrus, tropical fruit, pine resin. Malts? We don't need no steenkin' malts!!! Slight flowery sweetness hiding behind a wall covered in hop vines.

Flavor follows the aroma, with a slightly stronger malt backbone. Soft, overripe tropical fruit compete with pine resin, ruby red grapefruit, and citrus peel for your attention. Powdery, biscuity malt backbone, like liquid crackers soaked in hop juice.

Mouthfeel is a little too sticky-sweet, falling prey to the DIPA syrup trap. Very lively, with a nice, minimal sting, no foaming. Long-lasting, sticky finish; the bitterness clings to your gums long after the sip is warming your belly. Extremely smooth for the ABV.

This is yet another IPA/DIPA that completely lives up to rather substantial hype. It's incredible that it's a single-hop DIPA - then again, Falconer's Flight is kind of cheating in that regard. Definitely seek this out and try it!

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Saw this available on-tap and, naturally, there was no other beer I was interested in, for the moment.

What a great beer. Great resin tones with pine and a spicy edge. Carbonation is somewhat aggressive and nipping at the mouth. Very easy to drink. This is a great beer. A very great beer. I don't think I will see it again anytime soon, unfortunately. But I am very glad that I had the chance.

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Received this beer from Miketd, a great man that BA is. Canned date is 4/11/14.

A- Produces a three finger thick head, a pale white, frothy, foamy head. It persists well. The body is orange and copper with a cloudy appearance.

S- Heavy citrus notes, particularly orange, are at the forefront and prominent. Some resinousness, pine and sweetness are found underneath.

T- Dank, pungent flavored hops and subtle hints of citrus, then sweet malt and bread. The hop flavors work well together.

M- Medium body, smooth, relatively light and easy-drinking, it starts sweet and gets progressively bitter and a bit spicy. The bitterness isn't incredibly intense, but it does make for a long finish.

It's a great IPA, but I don't feel like I'm finding the array of flavors I'd hoped for. I do enjoy how smooth and approachable the beer is, so that's to its favor.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

S- Not much at fridge temp..light apricot as it warms. You can smell the sweetness possible dankness, not sure. Kind of smells like all the average hops combined.
A-Dark orange, hazy. The head settles to a nice lacing. After a half an hour there is a white yeasty coating going on the bottom of the glass.
T-Striking candied pine note, reminds me of an American style barleywine. A solid malt backbone does its best to balance the extreme Falconers Flightiness. I guess I’m just not a fan of this blend of hops. I’ve tried many types of ale brewed with this variety and it is not my bag of hops. Gritty and volatile. There is some balance to the hops when it is warmer but it’s not enough to be great. “Bitter at best, with some other fruity notes”
M-It is bitter. Sweet and sticky, imperial it is. Lingering bitterness.
O- This can was less than a month old, more of a barley wine than an IPA. It is not bad. .but it is also not great. Twas’ my first beer from DC Brau. I had moderate expectations for this IPA and it barley delivered on them. Give me a fresh 90 Minute any day of the week. Maybe if I had slammed this straight from the can I would have enjoyed it more. I can say with absolute confidence that Falconers flight is a second tier hop mix/variety.

Canned 4/11/2014

A : Drinking straight from the can. I prefer it this way as less of the carbonation is lost while drinking. Beautiful orange and red color with a thick white head when poured into a glass.

S: I could honestly attach a can to my nose for the rest of my life and just smell this intoxicating scent forever. Mango, orange, tangerine, with a little bit of pine. Smells artificially sweetened, like a bowl of fruit loops or fruity pebbles.

T: Lots of fruit! Again mango and tropical fruits. Bready/biscuity malt character. Nice and pleasant bitterness to finish out the beer.

M: Prickly and fully carbonated.

O: This is up there with the best DIPAs produced on the East Coast. I recommend taking a trip to their brewery and picking up as much of this as possible.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours brick orange with a soft golden hue and a thin head of khaki foam that fell quickly and left a bit of a ring and some slippery lace as it drank. Nose is a blast of dank herbal, tropical mango and sexy caramel. There's some sweet earth underneath it all and some citric tartness on top. There's even a moment of peppery spice before you discover the earthy christmas tree pine. taste is intense. Firm malt lays down deliberately and fully on the palate creating a sweet canvas for an eminent ripe mango with a splash of grapefruit. . The herbal is pungent and leafy and the pine is earthy and steadfast. All these flavors roil and roll, reaching their individual peaks while the malt stands firm and unmoving. In fact it creeps forward with a bit more earth to remind you that armageddon is coming. Then it strikes! The bitter. It's a stronger hop bitter than it actually seems because of the staunch malt and it lasts well into the finish with some stickiness and a bit of resin to coat the throat and leave a lingering caramel in the aftertaste. The fruit has been removed from you and the this is the end of time.

This beer is not what I was expecting. It is the definition of intense. For an DIPA it is truly complex and that is rare. Layered, lasting, urgent, forceful. This is no shy beer. I love it!

Thank you @Shroud0fdoom.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1782nd review on BA
Can to Speigleau Tulip

Thanks to Reaser and Hodge for this one.

App- A darker orange color with a bit of a caramel brown mixed in. The bottom is a bit lighter in the bell of the glass. A big fluffy 2 finger head was there and stayed for a bit with a bit of really good cling in the glass.

Smell- To me this was the epitome of a east coast IPA. Big malt bill with a ton of caramel behind it and a small amount of hops to balance. A little bit of citrus on the nose.

Taste- This was more of a pine and resin with a full malt flavor. I didnt get too much citrus but got more phenol alcohols off of the 9%. A little unbalanced bit was flavorful and a sipper for sir.

Mouth- A bit of a dry medium body with a fuller medium carbonation. More of the pine and resin and a little spice remained on the finish.

Drink- It was good. Just not what I was expecting. I am glad this was a can at 12oz.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can
A) Pours with a finger thick head then settles to a thin lacing at the edge of the glass. Hazy and bronze in color. Semi-sticky lacing.
S) Earthy sweetness. Hints of spruce and orange.
T) Piney. Peppery. Hints of peach and caramel. Alcohol in the finish.
M) Medium body. Chewy. Alcohol warmth in the finish.
O) A delicious brew. Glad I bought a 6-pack.

4.09/5  rDev -5.3%

Last of four from a trade with PA-Michigander. Thanks, man! I've enjoyed every ounce to this point, and figured I should give it a review. Poured from a 12 oz. can into a snifter.

A- Pour yields about a pinkie of a creamy off-white head. Held up to the light, this beer is a deep, solid, glowing orange. Some residual lacing. Bubbles continue to rise, feeding the film on top.

S- This bouquet is nice. Mostly some dank, earthy/grassy pine and bright, juicy tropical fruits. Of these fruits, pineapple is the most noticeable. There is also some grapefruit and orange zest. Pretty well done. I'm thinking there's a little too much malt which subdues the hops.

T- The taste is about as dry as I would have guessed judging by the nose. The dryness washes everything down leaving a lingering bitterness on the palette. I'm getting a lot of the same influence that was discerned in the aroma. Maybe just a little more grapefruit here, though. Really tasty.

M- Even for an imperial IPA, this is pretty heavy. Medium mouthfeel with mid-light carbonation. Perhaps a bit too oily for me. It's not offensive. I would just prefer it to be more crisp and clean. Still, not bad.

O- A solid imperial IPA, all things considered. I seem to have enjoyed this less and less the more I've had it. Maybe I got an off batch? Who knows. But the last 8 cans I had did not seem to match up to the first few. Will seek this out in the future to see if I can figure out. Regardless, it's a well made beer.

4.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz can into a willibecher. If there's a date on the can, I can't read it.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber/medium orange-brown and leaves a finger of sticky white head.

Smell: Resin, mild pine, malts, hint of citrus.

Taste: Citrus, some pine, resin, malts. Nice hop dominant, but with some good malt backbone.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Smooth, slightly bitter mouthfeel.

Overall: A very nice, hop forward IPA, but very well balanced. Definitely a treat to drink. ABV is very well hidden.

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just got a 6-pack shipped in from DC, dated 4/11... so it's 5 days old. Lot's of lacing from a somewhat minimal head, deep copper color. Darker then I expected based on the description. Nose is weak, for 5 days old I would hope for more fruit, not getting much of anything. Super smooth, almost too malty but just within my tolerance. Tastes fantastic for the ABV, can't put a finger on what it reminds me of but it's damn good regardless. I was sad to trade Bissell Brothers to get this but after having two, i'm glad i got the shipment. Solid DIPA, i'd totally trade to get again.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper hued body forms a rocky light khaki colored head. Cloudy with sediment and a head that fades but laces the glass nicely. Hop aromas are big. Wet pine needles, citrus fruit, mango and tobacco. Caramel malt profile provides a backbone that should be big but isn't big enough for the wallop of hops in this one. Taste is grapefruit forward with the caramel malt flavor showing early and giving way fast to a very dank middle of pine and mango and finishing with a big bitterness and slight tobacco aftertaste. Sharp carbonation to start smooths out and finishes dry. This beer reminds me a lot of Jai Alai or more accurately it's big brother. I'm not a fan of the booziness. It has that overly dank way and tobacco flavors that I tend to find off putting and for me, hold this back from being a top tier DIPA.

3.96/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Pours a rich golden color with a monster head that settles nicely with some thick lacing.

S: Aromas of biscuit, pine, grapefruit and some mustiness.

T: Taste is bitter grapefruit with a big malt presence, a little cracked pepper on the tongue. finish is dry with a resinous quality.

M: Medium to full body with decent carbonation.

O: A pretty good showcase of falconers flight hops and very well hidden 9.2% ABV.

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass, no date on can but drank about a month after it arrived in the store

A- pours a slightly hazy amber orange color with a two-finger foamy off-white head that retains long after the pour, short sticking lace left behind

S- tropical fruity hop aromas of cantaloup, mango and guava, floral and peppery, buttery biscuit malt on the backend to balance it out, the biscuity malt is quite prominent

T- tropical flavors follow the nose with more emphasis on cantaloup, melon and guava. Hints of piney hops and cracked pepper transition into a big toasted-bread malt backbone that leads to a sweet caramel finish, more pine on the linger

M- medium-viscous body with moderate carbonation leads to a huge creamy mouthfeel that fills the mouth, super smooth and chewy finish with just a touch of alcohol warmth on the linger

O- great variety of hop flavors packed into a can, however I tend to go for a little less malt in DIPA’s. The mouthfeel was so smooth and definitely easy to drink, given the ABV

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz Can

Big thanks goes out to Wil for the box of cans, this on included! This hefty IIPA glugs from the can blood orange in color with haze enough to make seeing through the body impossible. I got a little overzealous on the pour and dumped the yeast as well... The head is dusty white and incredibly creamy. It actually looks like a nitro pour. Thick foam coats the glass on the way down.

Whoa! That's a juicy, bitter pill. Citrus pithy galore, grapefruit and orange. There's a touch of tropical in there that's tough to pinpoint but what really sets this IIPA apart from the rest is the crushed aspirin bitterness. Yes, you can actually smell the bitterness. A solid dose of caramel tries to keep some semblance of balance but it doesn't come close. With warmth comes resin.

Bitter crushed aspirin and resinous sticky pine kick about the tastebuds like child's play. A flash of caramel pops up in the middle before pithy and zesty citrus wash over the tongue. Grapefruit and orange are bitter to the extreme. Peppery mango flashes through ghost-like on the swallow before aspirin bitterness assault over the tongue again. There's a strong malt base, for any other IPA, but not for this one. It barely keeps up.

There is a good heft to the body, steadily between moderate and heavy. It feels like there will be some stick with each swallow but it's squashed by saliva sapping dryness and a bitterness that will punish you. The bitterness actually invades every nook and cranny of my mouth. I can't say the drinkability is very high with this being the case.

Wings of Armageddon is one of the more bitter beers I've had in a while. DC Braun set out to make this a bruiser and they've succeeded on all counts. Pithy, resinous, aspirin, this beer has every bitter hop characteristic you could think of. Whew, watch out! Thanks, Wil!

3.39/5  rDev -21.5%

Got a can of this at Max's in Baltimore. From notes.

A - Hazy copper pour with one finger of off white head. No visible carbonation, good lace, rings of retention.

S - Dank hop pellets, onion.

T - Orange, hop pellets, onion, citrus, resin, leafy.

M - Good carbonation, medium to full body, pretty bitter.

O/D - Not as good as it's made out to be. Might be the Falconer's Flight but the oniony element was a bit too much for me. It was odd, but not is a really offputting way. Decent, but not world class like it's said to be. A letdown overall.

On The Wings Of Armageddon from DC Brau Brewing Co.