Middle Name Danger - Peach Brandy Barrel Aged - DC Brau Brewing Co.

Middle Name Danger - Peach Brandy Barrel Aged
No picture uploaded.

DC Brau Brewing Co. visit their website
District of Columbia, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: russwbeck on 11-12-2012)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

DC Brau and Stillwater's Middle Name Danger, aged in Catoctin Creek Peach Brandy Barrels. Served at Rustico's Novemberfest.

A: The beer rests in my Novemberfest mug a really hazy golden brown color that hints towards yellow at the edges. The white head builds up quickly and recedes relatively fast, leaving only a thin cap atop the brew and leaving spotty lacing 3.5

S: The aroma is not as boozy as I expected, and is actually much more saison than brandy. Spicy, with some barnyard funk-like aromas with the peach. Amazingly I'm only getting the fruit and not the brandy. Obvious that a lot of care was put into the delicate aging of this beer. 4

T: The peach is much more prevalent on the taste, but still the booze is not noted. The taste is dominated by fruit, spice, and esters with a fruit finish. While I'm impressed by the barrel aging, the taste irks me for some reason. It doesn't leave the best of aftertastes and the peach just isn't doing it for me. Someone else might appreciate it better, but it's just not striking a chord with my palate. 2.5

MF: This has a thin body with a normal level of carbonation. I don't like the taste, which in turn hurts its drinkability. It's the aftertaste that gets me, I can't quite place it but I don't like it. 2.5

Value: Middle Name Danger only cost six tickets for a taster at Novemberfest, which was right in line with most of the other beers. I thought it was priced appropriately for all the work that went into making it. 4

O: This was a great attempt by two great breweries (and one that is especially good at saisons), I just didn't like it. If you like peach and saisons, I'd absolutely recommend you give it a shot! I'm glad I got to. 2

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at Rustico's Novemberfest. The appearance is somewhat murky and amber brown in color. A little bit of spotty white lacing was left on the glass.

The aroma shows some light peach along with an herbal earthy spice. It's got a little more of a floral, citrusy spice to it. Not much alcohol from the brandy comes through. You don't get a lot of the peach brandy, but what you do get is pretty interesting and appealing.

I get a little more peach to it in the taste but it also comes along with a little more of an alcohol presence. The earthy, floral spice is there and leads into a bitter, dry finish. Pretty decent flavors overall but I'm not sure the style was complimented all that well by the additional alcohol presence.

The mouthfeel is heavier for the style with medium carbonation. Overall it was a decent and interesting beer. The peach brandy definitely gave it a unique twist but I'm not sure the barrel aging improved or complimented the beer as well as it does other styles. It was a cool beer to try though.

Middle Name Danger - Peach Brandy Barrel Aged from DC Brau Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.