Stache In The Wood - Finch's Beer Co.

Stache In The WoodStache In The Wood

Vanilla Stout in Whiskey Barrels
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by mfnmbvp:
3.73/5  rDev +10%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Copyright 2014 on the label. I was surprised to randomly see this sitting on the counter at the local beer store. Expectations are great based on my experience with the original beer and also with Finch's Beer Co. Pig In The Wood. My bottle lists a 5.30% abv. "Aged in Willett Distillery Barrels".

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours an inky blackish brown with some hints of mahogany to it. Two fingers of fluffy frothy mocha head. Fat sheets of lacing. Looks very nice.

S - Smell is comprised of the usual suspects - chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, woodsy barrel character, and a strange yeasty / band-aid sort of mustiness, possibly imparted from the lactose? I don't know. It's a fine aroma, but it could be better.

T - Taste follows the nose - silky vanilla, chocolate / cocoa, woodsy bourbon barrel, dark roasty chocolate malt, and a lightly tart apple sort of pucker on the finish. Very interesting, but it's only half of what I'm looking for here.

M - Feel is sticky, with light bitterness and roastiness lingering on the palate. Lightly metallic on the aftertaste. Again, light tartness. If anything, I'd say the carbonation is slightly coarse, but otherwise, the beer is medium bodied and easy drinking.

Overall, a decent bourbon barrel aged treatment, but I was definitely hoping for more based on how well I liked the original beer, and I was so certain it would taste great barrel aged. Definitely the best low abv barrel aged stout I've had yet, that's for sure, and I would definitely try it again in the future.

Finch's Beer Co. Stache In The Wood ---3.5/5

1.41/5  rDev -58.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

After taking the top off I had to rush to the sink because it turned into a beer volcano. After about loosing 3/4 of the bottle I got some in the glass.

Mouth feel was thin and watery.
Smell was sour musty dish rags
Taste was sour (not the good sour)

I was looking forward to the beer. I would love to try a noninflected bottle and give this beer a redemption.

2.36/5  rDev -30.4%

Ok let me start by saying that this is an infected bottle.

A: Strong creature of the black lagoon appearance, cannot see the sun through this beer. Thick (12 finger infected) head. Took a while to pour this one into my tulip.

S: There’s the confirmation that this thing is as infected as your grandmother's ingrown toenail. It smells like sour cherries with a little bit of malt and vanilla, absolutely no hint or nose of barrel aging here.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Sour cherries, there is a stout in there somewhere hiding beneath all of the tartness. Nice malt aftertaste though... plus sour.

M: Very heavily carbonated, not sure if this is due to the infection or just the way it was meant to be. This has almost the carbonation of one of those (dare I say it) Miller High Life champagne type beers.

O: Very disappointed, I was looking forward to this beer after having it in my fridge for about a month. I feel like bottle infections represent a brewery poorly and it’s going to take some convincing to get me to try another one of their beers. But when it comes to beer, I’m easily convinced.

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bbl aged Secret Stache on tap at the 2014 Secret Stash Bash (Atlanta).

Nice moderate BBL treatment is obvious but not overdone in either the noise or the mouth.
Aftertaste and finish have a nice, balanced mix of dark roasted grains, bourbon and wood.

Feel: the clear weak spot of this beer. Body is too thin and the ale is under-carbonated.

O: fine bbl treatment of a very good stout.

3.29/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a finger and a half of chocolate-colored head that dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Nice aromas of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, as well as aromas of dark chocolate, brown sugar, oak, and bourbon. Smell’s really, really, good!

Taste: Unfortunately, the taste doesn’t’ live up to the aroma. It’s only pretty decent, but not as good as other stouts aged in either bourbon barrels or oak. There’s some nice roasted malt flavors, and some brown sugar-like sweetness, as well as a touch of vanilla, but the bourbon flavors come off as extremely harsh and uncomplimentary rather than harmonious and welcome as with other bourbon barrel-aged stouts, such as New Holland’s Dragon’s Milk, DuClaw’s Retribution, Goose Island’s Bourbon County Stout, Port Brewing Older Viscosity, Lost Abbey’s Serpent’s Stout, Firestone Walker Parabola, Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin, Deschutes The Abyss, among many, many more.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied but leaning toward watery. With an ABV of 5.5%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an ok beer, but billed as a bourbon barrel-aged stout, comes off as disappointing. The bourbon flavors are harsh, rather than complementary, and the vanilla doesn’t really come through. I’d say that maybe a year’s aging might do this beer some good, but with an ABV of only 5.5%, it probably won’t stand up to aging. There are a lot better bourbon barrel-aged stouts out there than this one, such as the ones I named above, and I’d recommend picking one of those up over this one anytime. This is certainly a pass.

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 6.99. No bottling date. Served in a goblet.

Pours cola black with brown edges and a near-explosive four fingers of tan head. The bubbles fade to a thin layer and leave substantial sheets of lace.

The nose is mild overall with notes of cocoa, oak, very faint vanilla and hints of sour/infection.

Yep, as feared from the aroma the flavor is tainted by an over arcing sour cherry. Peeking through what I assume is a slight infection I taste roasted malt, cocoa, burnt wood and an ever-so-mild vanilla. No perceivable alcohol at all but I wouldn't say this is easy to drink. What I taste beneath the sour doesn't have me at all interested in ever revisiting.

Medium thin body with lively carbonation. Soured, roasty aftertaste.

Is it infected, just too old or both? Who knows, seeing as there is no bottle dating. For what it's worth I don't think I'd have been overly impressed with the base even if there hadn't been the sour element. Thin and without any real punch of vanilla or barrel that you'd expect given the label. The second half of the bottle fed my drain.

3.86/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bramma Bull strong. A good beer for a night at the house watching some good boxing

1.96/5  rDev -42.2%

Sad to say it was infected. I had high hopes for this one too. The bottle geysered upon opening. I tried to make it through a whole glass but it was inevitably drain poured.

4.04/5  rDev +19.2%

Non-infected bottle

Appearance: Pitch black, thin caramel head good lacing.

Aroma: Rich vanilla bean and milk chocolate.

Flavor: Medium + notes of oak, vanilla, chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, light carbonation.

1.67/5  rDev -50.7%

Sour. Not in a good way (or even an intentional way). Drain pour.

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Tap

Pours jet black with a brown sugar film for a head.

Aroma of brown sugar, molasses, cocoa, oak and vanilla.

Brown sugar, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, oak, and a hint of bourbon.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

Quite good, worth seeking out for fans of aged stouts. Loses a bit on the body for me but otherwise top notch.

4.17/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From 12/26/14 notes. Shared by a friend, 22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a pitch black color with one inch of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Lots of vanilla, sweet milk chocolate, and bourbon to it; I loved it. Medium body and modertae carbonation, not hot at all.

Overall I was really surprised to see how low the ratings were for this one as I loved it. Upon further inspection, it looks like a lot of people have gotten sour/infected bottles, which is a bummer because I think it is great when ok. I'd be wary of buying it after seeing the infection rumors, but not because of the taste.

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Fairly new brewery has shown up in MN & after two unpleasant experiences, perhaps they have the Midas touch with a barrel? My glass is half full. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

The pour is dark. Evident carbonation. I spend some quality time with my olfactory senses trying to garner something, but success is fleeting. Barely perceptible sweetness, chocolate. Eh.

Stache in the Wood is one of my first beer aged whiskeys. The barrel drowns the base beer like an unwanted puppy: whiskey, vanilla, with a side of wood, dominate the forefront & the finish of the brew. The beer pops up timidly in the middle with bits of chocolate, slightly more bitter roast, &, well, then it gets the barrel again. The low ABV means this is plenty easy to drink.

By far the best Finch’s beer I’ve tried to date, which means it’s pretty good & I’m not going to sacrifice it to the Stainless Steel ring. But I am not moved to try anything else from these guys; I suspect they’ll disappear from Twin Cities shelves within the next year.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wasn't infected. A little too much bourbon, not enough vanilla, and had kind of a bitter well water/rainwater note. Not bad, just not really good either. I prefer the original/non bourbon variety. Got better as it warmed, however.

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Like some other recent reviewers, I got an infected bottle. Big time gusher on opening, but I only lost about 1/4 of the bottle. Though it obviously isn't what it was meant to be it isn't bad. The aroma is a nice combination of barrel character and tart fruit. Chocolate, sour cherry and vanilla in the flavor and a dry tart finish. This turned into a nice sour barrel aged stout, if you're into that sort of thing. On the other hand it stands as a warning that low ABV beers shouldn't go into barrels unless you want them to sour.

4.36/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Vanilla and subtle bourbon. Nose is not what I would expect but body and flavor are really good

Stache In The Wood from Finch's Beer Co.