Stache In The Wood - Finch's Beer Co.

Stache In The WoodStache In The Wood

Finch's Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Stout |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Zach136 on 03-01-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by mfnmbvp:
3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Copyright 2014 on the label. I was surprised to randomly see this sitting on the counter at the local beer store. Expectations are great based on my experience with the original beer and also with Finch's Beer Co. Pig In The Wood. My bottle lists a 5.30% abv. "Aged in Willett Distillery Barrels".

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours an inky blackish brown with some hints of mahogany to it. Two fingers of fluffy frothy mocha head. Fat sheets of lacing. Looks very nice.

S - Smell is comprised of the usual suspects - chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, woodsy barrel character, and a strange yeasty / band-aid sort of mustiness, possibly imparted from the lactose? I don't know. It's a fine aroma, but it could be better.

T - Taste follows the nose - silky vanilla, chocolate / cocoa, woodsy bourbon barrel, dark roasty chocolate malt, and a lightly tart apple sort of pucker on the finish. Very interesting, but it's only half of what I'm looking for here.

M - Feel is sticky, with light bitterness and roastiness lingering on the palate. Lightly metallic on the aftertaste. Again, light tartness. If anything, I'd say the carbonation is slightly coarse, but otherwise, the beer is medium bodied and easy drinking.

Overall, a decent bourbon barrel aged treatment, but I was definitely hoping for more based on how well I liked the original beer, and I was so certain it would taste great barrel aged. Definitely the best low abv barrel aged stout I've had yet, that's for sure, and I would definitely try it again in the future.

Finch's Beer Co. Stache In The Wood ---3.5/5

mfnmbvp, Apr 04, 2014
1.39/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

After taking the top off I had to rush to the sink because it turned into a beer volcano. After about loosing 3/4 of the bottle I got some in the glass.

Mouth feel was thin and watery.
Smell was sour musty dish rags
Taste was sour (not the good sour)

I was looking forward to the beer. I would love to try a noninflected bottle and give this beer a redemption.

cwehr13, Aug 05, 2014
2.34/5  rDev -27.3%

Ok let me start by saying that this is an infected bottle.

A: Strong creature of the black lagoon appearance, cannot see the sun through this beer. Thick (12 finger infected) head. Took a while to pour this one into my tulip.

S: There’s the confirmation that this thing is as infected as your grandmother's ingrown toenail. It smells like sour cherries with a little bit of malt and vanilla, absolutely no hint or nose of barrel aging here.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Sour cherries, there is a stout in there somewhere hiding beneath all of the tartness. Nice malt aftertaste though... plus sour.

M: Very heavily carbonated, not sure if this is due to the infection or just the way it was meant to be. This has almost the carbonation of one of those (dare I say it) Miller High Life champagne type beers.

O: Very disappointed, I was looking forward to this beer after having it in my fridge for about a month. I feel like bottle infections represent a brewery poorly and it’s going to take some convincing to get me to try another one of their beers. But when it comes to beer, I’m easily convinced.

Viperman1316, Apr 29, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bbl aged Secret Stache on tap at the 2014 Secret Stash Bash (Atlanta).

Nice moderate BBL treatment is obvious but not overdone in either the noise or the mouth.
Aftertaste and finish have a nice, balanced mix of dark roasted grains, bourbon and wood.

Feel: the clear weak spot of this beer. Body is too thin and the ale is under-carbonated.

O: fine bbl treatment of a very good stout.

chinchill, Mar 04, 2014

Keith_R, Mar 02, 2014

KevinGordon, Aug 23, 2014

wesside89, Apr 15, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 6.99. No bottling date. Served in a goblet.

Pours cola black with brown edges and a near-explosive four fingers of tan head. The bubbles fade to a thin layer and leave substantial sheets of lace.

The nose is mild overall with notes of cocoa, oak, very faint vanilla and hints of sour/infection.

Yep, as feared from the aroma the flavor is tainted by an over arcing sour cherry. Peeking through what I assume is a slight infection I taste roasted malt, cocoa, burnt wood and an ever-so-mild vanilla. No perceivable alcohol at all but I wouldn't say this is easy to drink. What I taste beneath the sour doesn't have me at all interested in ever revisiting.

Medium thin body with lively carbonation. Soured, roasty aftertaste.

Is it infected, just too old or both? Who knows, seeing as there is no bottle dating. For what it's worth I don't think I'd have been overly impressed with the base even if there hadn't been the sour element. Thin and without any real punch of vanilla or barrel that you'd expect given the label. The second half of the bottle fed my drain.

ThickNStout, Apr 29, 2014

jgunther71, Apr 18, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +32%

Zach136, Mar 01, 2014
4.14/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Tap

Pours jet black with a brown sugar film for a head.

Aroma of brown sugar, molasses, cocoa, oak and vanilla.

Brown sugar, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, oak, and a hint of bourbon.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

Quite good, worth seeking out for fans of aged stouts. Loses a bit on the body for me but otherwise top notch.

Cylinsier, Apr 28, 2014

Sean32, Jun 09, 2014
1.48/5  rDev -54%

Wsherry1, Sep 07, 2014
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Stache In The Wood from Finch's Beer Co.